Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone else with thyroid cancer too?

Options
124»

Comments

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 279
    edited November 2019
    Options

My niece just reached out to me as she is having a core biopsy on a large nodule. I had a total thyroidectomy in Feb only to find the nodules were benign. For six years I have been researching the correlation as that is when I was dx with BC. Nodules existed prior. There are numerous cancers that have an increased incidence following or preceding BC. Cancer likes company. Thyroid cancer is no exception but is also not particularly exceptional. It is no more related to BC than about eight others.

• Rosebessie
    Rosebessie Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hi all,

Im just wondering if there's anyone on this discussion group coz it seems to have gone quiet.

I have Ductal MBC with liver mets. I had to have a ultra sound guided needle Biopsy to the Thyroid after my PET-SCAN showed some uptake in the left Thyroid. I should schedule a follow up coz I keep getting sure throat which I'm not sure is related to the Thyroid issue, but I'm afraid of what they'll find. Which I know is silly coz of course the earlier I know the better.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 883
    Options

Hi Rosebessie, Nobody wants another cancer but thyroid cancer is almost always easily and effectively treated by surgery, sometimes just removing the affected lobe. An enlarged thyroid can cause throat problems.

Thyroid uptake on a PET-SCAN can be due to an autoimmune issue or other benign reason. My enlarged thyroid was removed five years ago (benign) but it is growing back like wildfire and deviating my trachea; last time it compressed it. I just had my yearly surveillance ultrasound and biopsy. I'll have to have a re-excision sometime but we're trying to put it off as long as possible.

It's probably best to keep an eye on things since you don't want to be dealing with airway issues or more cancer.

• Rosebessie
    Rosebessie Member Posts: 61
    Options

Hi @maggie15, thank you for that very useful information. And oh my word!! I had no idea the Thyroid grows back. What a nuisance! I want to re-read my last PET-SCAN and insist to my Oncologist to follow up on the recommendations of the Radiologist. He likes to dismiss a lot of stuff. And, like you so rightly say, I certainly don't need another issue or an additional Cancer.