Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Long Term Radiation Side Effects 10+ years After?

Options
124»

Comments

• Liahna
    Liahna Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2018
    Options

When I was 49 and already in menopause, I was diagnosed with grade 1 stage 1 IDC with dcis. The tumor was approximately one cm. I'm now 63 years old. I refused radiation and hormonal therapy. I had no other treatment except a wide margin lumpectomy and biopsy track removal. I've never had a reoccurrence.

• Courtnaygirl
    Courtnaygirl Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

the thing about cancer is that there is

always a chance for metastasis, even after treatment.

Cancer travels via the blood , which is called metastasis

Sometimes you can reduce the amount of cancer cells

in your blood with antioxidants.

Right now, in my opinion

Vitamin C and E should be your best friends

there are also many more you can take

• Raebrewster1971
    Raebrewster1971 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I had radiation treatment 27 years ago! Today I'm having pain in my ribs and they are also enlarged! My breast shrink a lot! I have pain everyday with my ribs and breast! So letting you know after 27 years I hurt more than ever! The really bad part of all of this I was diagnosed wrong! After all the radiation and kolbolt treatment I had they called and said oh great news you don't have breast cancer after all! The pathologist screwed up!Like that should make me feel better! So 27 years later I'm suffering because of his big mistake! So ladies be sure to get a second opinion and I would not keep my breast I would have a mastectomy!
  • Raebrewster1971
    Raebrewster1971 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2020
    Options

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 28 years ago had 34 radiation treatments then found out they made a mistake didn't have cancer after all..now today I have all kinds of problems because of the radiation treatments..ribs growing they hurt alot my breast shrink to nothing..have thyroid nodules on that side i had radiation! I got staff infection and it was on the side of radiation I had was in Hospital over 5 days very sick! They say my liver is in enlarged.. So I tell everyone to get second opinion if you are diagnosed with breast cancer! Be careful about the radiation treatments also

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,986
    edited May 2020
    Options

Raebrewster1971, that is such a terrible story, and we're so sorry for all you have gone through. So appreciate that you are helping people advocate for second opinions.