Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Top 75 things you can do to TAKE CONTROL during your bc txt

Options

Comments

• sage
    sage Member Posts: 24
    Options

Hopeful8201,

Not sure if the back pain is universal. I did not get a burn or redness on the backside, but rather a "tightening" sensation in my shoulder blade muscles. It definitely felt muscular and that is why the heating pad helped so much. Stretching my shoulder seemed to help too. And just remember that any side effect is only temporary. You can get through it

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options

Thanks a lot for the additional info, Sage. I have a couple more questions, if you don't mind?

Did your skin remain permanently "tanned" from the radiation?

Did you experience any fibrosis of your breast and, of so, do you think the US or even self-massage would help break that up? (I really don't want to keep my breast but have it look and feel completely different. If that's going to be the case I might as well have a mastectomy and avoid radiation.)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• cheesequake
    cheesequake Member Posts: 68
    Options

This is a fantastic list. Thanks to sage and everyone else for contributing!!

• sage
    sage Member Posts: 24
    Options

Hopeful8201,

At first my skin over the treated breast was "tanner" and a bit tighter. The self tanner helped even it out in the short-time. But with regular application of moistureous body cream, you cannot tell any difference between the breasts. My lumpectomy scar was very fibrous but the ultrasound treatment really helped. Regular massage can make a huge difference too. When I was completely done with treatment, I had my other breast lifted to match my treated breast since I had lost significant tissue. My plastic surgeon extracted fat from my thighs and injected it throughout my treated breast. I have to say they look amazing and you really cannot tell. That's why I recommend anyone who goes through this to see a plastic surgeon. They can do amazing things and there are many many surgery options. Find the one that works for you!

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    Options
    Thanks, Sage!
  • sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

That's a helpful list with many good things to think about. I wonder, though, about this part: "Cry by yourself…. scream at the top of your lungs when no one is around. It did freak the pets out but I spared my husband and the kids. When the negative, fearful feelings start encroaching recognize those as the devil trying to permeate your life, at your lowest and send you off track from healing and enjoying life." I think anger and sadness are normal reactions (not the devil), and that trying to be positive all the time can be more stressful than being honest. I wouldn't lay the burden on children, but occasionally crying or talking with an adult loved one, sharing the feelings, can promote intimacy and help people feel supported. This is what the social workers at my cancer hospital advocate.

• kbutler
    kbutler Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you so much for the info.. I'm just starting my journey. Had surgery,now on to the rest of treatment and trying to gather all info I can. Knowledge is power. God bless you for all the helpful tips !!!!!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump, Great info here ---------sift through it

• cheesyfroggy
    cheesyfroggy Member Posts: 16
    Options

Bump. A lot of great tips. Print it out and save it for reference.

• Elaine422
    Elaine422 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I happened to read this today, and although I'm done with treatment, except for one more Herceptin infusion, I read your whole post and was so happy you stated everything you went through. It brought back memories of what I went through. Thank you. It will and probably has helped a lot of people.

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    Options

It seems to me that there are so many newbies just in- seemed like a good idea to bump this great post by sage

• thistooshallpass2010
    Options

Here it is 2017 and I just ran across your post. I'm not having chemo but it was very interesting reading, after all, who knows what the future holds. I am having radiation and welcome all the tips as well as the normalcy to apply to all these new procedures. I hope you are doing well and thank you for your post!

• moodyblues
    moodyblues Member Posts: 393
    Options

Thank you, very imformative!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump great info---sift through

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• Hygeia
    Hygeia Member Posts: 22
    Options

What in the world does "bump" mean?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

It is the word used on BCO to bring the thread back into the active topics periodically so new folks will see it. The post “bumps” the thread up again

• Hygeia
    Hygeia Member Posts: 22
    Options

Thanks for the explanation. I kept seeing the word "bump" but couldn't fathom the meaning. Thanks again.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hygea, you aren't the only one. I was the same way when I came and asked the same question :)

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,096
    Options

Hi SAS. The nice thing about the questions is that this site stays in the active threads. !!!

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump