Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

infrared sauna for bone pain, neuropathy, etc.

hi all,

just wanted to say that if you have never tried infrared sauna, you shoulddo so asap! it is very beneficial for bone pain, neuropathy, detoxing the body, lymph channels and skin. Word of caution-you must stay hydrated while in the sauna or your lymphedema prone areas will start to hurt so stay hydrated and you will be fine. Since starting last Thursday, I have cut back on ibuprofen and pain meds due to this heat therapy, i have also increased my energy level so no more cat naps! 

Comments

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited February 2014

wow, that sounds fantastic! I had a chance once to go for an infrared session alone (no sauna). I heard infrared was good for growing hair, joint pain, as well as detoxing. Wish I could have gone regularly. BTW the sun's rays are mostly in the infrared spectrum, too, so being outdoors can give us more energy, as well as many other benefits (for those who don't have infrared spas at their disposal).

• vacationbound
    vacationbound Member Posts: 37
    edited February 2014

Sorry to hear Bon, i actually have an issue with hot flashes myself but since i started the sauna therapy, amazingly, the hot flashes have seemed to be less frequent and not as intense. 

• vacationbound
    edited February 2014

Hi Heidi,

There are other options, you can google portable Far Infrared sauna, amazon has them for about 200 dollars, or you can buy the bio-mat which is more expensive (it had amethyist crystals) anyways, sun is good but like most of us mbc patients, we have a vit d deficiency so we more than likely lack the enzyme that helps us absorb the sun , here is an article my friend posted on her fb page today  ,....ok, well having trouble posting from phone, will post later

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 5,973
    edited February 2014

When I was first diagnosed, I came across information on the infrared sauna and its possible benefits.  Then the idea of it got lost in the avalanche of other info and treatment I had.  So I'm interested in your thoughts on the matter and would like to hear more.  What kind do you use vacationbound?  

• fitlife8947
    fitlife8947 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014

I found out about infrared saunas through Cancer Defeated.  

http://www.cancerdefeated.com/newsletters/Infrared...

I'm using one regularly at a spa until I can get my own.

I plan to purchase one in the next couple of months. 

It make such a difference in how I feel.  I can't wait to use it every day! 

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

Hi Everyone! Sorry for taking so long to answer back, computer monitor went kaput! Ok, so I am in my 2nd month at the spa that has the infrared sauna and I try to go every day when the weather isn't so dreary outside, but I can tolerate sitting in the sauna at 151 degrees for 45-50 minutes now! The pain levels in my back have decreased to the point that I am no longer taking 4-6 ibuprofins a day. I am even walking upright! The thing to remember is when you are sitting in the sauna to drink lots of water so your lymph system keeps moving, otherwise you will learn the hard way like I did! My arm started throbbing bad because I hadn't drank that much fluid-also, keep your arm at waist level, not downward (this works for me), I even take a pillow in with me so I can lay down and prop my arm up on my side waist area.

I have dropped 7 pounds! Yay! One day, I even put a conditioner pack on my hair and covered it with a shower cap and I had the softest hair ever! My hot flashes are all but gone, except at the usual 2 am "hotness", but even this is relieved by me just removing the covers for a minute or two then it goes away! 

• bhd1
    bhd1 Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2014

vacation bound do you have lymphedema?

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

yes, i do

• bhd1
    edited March 2014

wow.  I was told to stay away from sauna with le

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

as long as i am drinking water while i am in there then it doesnt bother me, in fact, their are studies on hyperthermia and infrared heat that helps the lymph channels clear which helps the debilated arm find new channels to flow through. it has helped me with this as i had a huge lump in the middle of my breast plate which the onc explained to me is where my lymph fluid was accumilating due to lymph blockage causing the rounded swelling on my chest, and since starting the sauna, it has gone away.

• bhd1
    edited March 2014

Thanks for this info

• bhd1
    edited March 2014

does the sauna help with numbness from neuropathy

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

my neuropathy is mainly in my legs and feet, i have noticed less kicking action in my sleep,  the studies also cover the vascular so i feel it has helped increase blood flow to my legs during rest

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

i go to shape womens fitness, a local gym-wish they were nationwide....but look for a center that has one, i pay 40 dollars a month. There are some businesses that were charging 40-75 dollars a session but i kept looking and found the exact same sauna at a fitness center!

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

yes, and they work-just a little cumbersome! I was going to get one then had a dream of me trapped inside with the zipper stuck and home alone! I enjoy the gym one as i can stretch out and lay down and also talk to other women. My back pain is less now, havent taken an ibuprofen in 3 days! i know my liver tumor sure appreciates it!

• lauriesh
    lauriesh Member Posts: 82
    edited March 2014

Vacationbound,

I started looking in my area and so far have only found ones that charge $30-45 a session. I would like to try it for pain relief, but do you think it is worth it to go only once a week, or did you have to go quite a few times to really notice a difference?

Laurie

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

that is the problem i ran across, so i kept looking...have you tried googling fitness center + infrared sauna for your area? i think that is too expensive, as i go as often as i want now, the first week i went 6 days in a row, then the weather turned ugly so i skipped a few days then started back up but i try to go 3 days in a row, tues-wed-thurs- and sat (closed on sun)

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

oh, sorry, i didnt answer your question...

the first day i tried it was heaven in a hot box! my arm hurt at first as i mentioned previously, but that was due to not drinking water while in there. i have had a massive pain in my belly from the hysterectomy last may and swelling, i lost 2 inches of fluid the first day which alleviated the frontal pain of the torso, the back was evidently feeling good too as i had layed all night in bed in one position which hasnt been done in a long time! i am more energetic after the sauna therapy and i can breathe better! if you have room in your house, you can buy units for in home use, i have researched them and they are a pretty nice and easy set up-costco sells them for like 1,000 dollars, so the whole family could use it as it lowers blood pressure and this would be good for my hubby!

• vacationbound
    edited March 2014

a little update, havent been to sauna for over a week now as the weather has been very crappy, dont want to get sick so decided for better weather days to get out but i have noticed my back and hip pain creeping back so i am going back to my regular routine as hot flashes are appearing again too, will keep posting on my progress.