Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Warm & fuzzy owls, goats, kitties, dogs, birds ETC. PICS &LINKS

Comments

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2015

I remember one time, years ago..... I was having a severe allergic reaction to a Pollen shot.... It got sooooo bad, that when I looked in the mirror, it scared me to death! My face had swollen up so bad, my eyes were almost closed, and my face was bright red, and leaking! I covered up the mirrors, laid down in the back-seat of the car with a towel over my face, and we drove to the ER... A few shots, and pills, and it went away, but MAN, what a reflection! Didn't continue with THAT Doc.... or what-ever he was........

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,890
    edited October 2015

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

If you haven't seen "Brother Where Art Thou" kinda looses in translation :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je5nQb_3gxQ

O Brother Where Art Though - The Soggy Bottom Boys - I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZtgZ5fHOuU

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited October 2015

Alphabet - truth.

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

Kiwi yes, so true.

One time when Infromation Systems was forcing us to switch to the new and improved way of accessing the hospital system, I decided to look at the history of the alphabet. This was 10 years ago, so maybe my facts will be a little loose. But it's close enough.

5000-6000 years ago the Sumerians developed a system of symbols called pictographs. Each word and object had a pictograph. Thousands of pictographs. They're were a small group of learned people whose only job was working with the symbols. They spent their entire life learning these symbols. Only the elite of the society could study these because the rest of society was illiterate. The Egyptians developed hieroglyphs. Same thing, only the elite were involved. These pictrographs and hieroglyphs are also known as icons.

Merchant sailors along the Mediterranean Sea, traveled from country to country to sell their goods. They were considered the low caste illiterate of society. These unschooled merchants started to develop letters to document a sale for their goods. While these seaman merchants didn't have a common language, they were able over time to develop common symbols known far and wide by the masses The letters over time became the alphabet as we know today. Worked very nicely for thousands of years. Pictographs and hieroglyphs became obscure and forgotten.

Late in the 20th century, a small group of people developed a language that relatively few could understand. This language incorporates symbols which are referred to as icons as in ancient times. They're thousands of icons. They thought it important that these symbols be used instead of the alphabet. The alphabet that had been used for thousands of years, was set aside. The masses were forced to learn these symbols. Many questions. What does this mean? What's the symbol for ________? What's behind that symbol? What symbol do I click for patient labs? On, on..............

The masses acquiesced to the small group. We use icons, driven by our need to use... The PC, IPhone, IPad, Mario.

• OncoWarrior
    OncoWarrior Member Posts: 3,326
    edited October 2015

Love the gene pool cartoon!

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

Oh My, this gal is 90 and can she boogie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZLDKw7MeQ

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    edited October 2015

• juliecc
    edited October 2015

Shocked

• juliecc
    edited October 2015

• kjones13
    kjones13 Member Posts: 662
    edited October 2015

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited October 2015

Sas - great explanation on the icons to alphabet to icons,

reminds me of this often seen cartoon

which also reminds me of

Love the alpacas

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,694
    edited October 2015

lol

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

FF, ThumbsUp, Thanks, I don't get to use it often. They're is such an irony in it. I'm stuck in the alphabet. Avoiding the cell phones that use icons. Old cell phone that still functioned like the old phones finally broke. The PC was bad enough. Besides I'm cheap. Ditto on the evolution of manLOL

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2015

• Unknown
    edited October 2015

love love this thread - always makes me smile :)

• Unknown
    edited October 2015

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited October 2015

I needed a few things from the grocery store last night, and on my list was a dozen eggs. Imagine my surprise when I went to check to make sure none of them were broken....

And then I noticed the sign...

Eggs with little pink ribbons stamped on them fight breast cancer! Now why didn't I know that? And even though they were 50 cents cheaper than the other brands, I still couldn't bear to buy them.

ThumbsDown

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited October 2015

👺

• juliecc
    edited October 2015

Welcome to October, AZ Singing My coworker wore pink yesterday and told me she is going to wear a lot of pink this month for me and breast cancer awareness. Haha I thanked her but told her she really didn't have to do that. She knows my thoughts about pinkwashing and pinktober but she means well.

• Unknown
    edited October 2015

there is a First Puketober Siteings (sp?) thread that would love the egg pic!

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited October 2015

AZ85 lol that would freak me out ha ha ha bc logo eggs

Hope everybody is having a great weekend

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2015

Notbuyinit also Pinktober revolution, Wish I had tequila right now. I'm in the wait zone. Dinner party at 5pm... ready, now wait......

ENERVA"S here hootiehoooo ENERVA"S here hootiehoooo ENERVA"S here hootiehoooo ENERVA"S here hootiehootiehoo

Julie, she's not a friend. A friend wouldn't wear pink knowing your feelings.