Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Inflammatory breast cancer--what is meant by a "bug bite"?

prosaic
prosaic Member Posts: 4
edited March 2018 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

I have had this red patch (mostly flat, a little lump under the surface) for two weeks. To me it resembles a healing bug bite but it is not itchy.

I'm currently breastfeeding, but have been told it is unrelated to that. Nor is it a pimple. I apologise for posting a picture but I have two small kids, can't see a doctor for a couple of days, and likely won't sleep tonight until I get it seen.

(photos removed by Mods)

Comments

• kicks
    kicks Member Posts: 319
    edited May 2014

There are MANY possibilities for skin issues on the breast: as with skin everywhere.  IBC is among the least likely.  No one here can DX you - only your medical people can.  A Dermatologist might be in order.  As said,  I am not a medical person and you do need to find out what is goimg on but to me does not look like IBC.

• prosaic
    edited May 2014

Thank you! Even the slightest reassurance is helpful at this stage. It's hard when you google bug bite and breast and up comes IBC...but with almost no photos for reference. 

• kicks
    edited May 2014

Until you can see a DR - stay away from that quack Dr. Google.  There is good info there BUT a lot of bugus 'stuff' too.

• prosaic
    edited May 2014

Agreed. 

But just out of curiosity, what does it mean by "bug bite"--is that something that resembles a giant mosquito bite or a tiny spider bite?

• kicks
    edited May 2014

"bug bite" - can look initiallly like a 'bug bite', raised and reddened but not 'open/weeping'.  IBC does not always present itself the same with each of us though.  For me, the first 'sign' was a lymph node that enlarged literally overnight.  My PA was on vacation so it took me a week to see her but had new mammo,sono and biopsies that afternoon, got the path. report the next morning at 8 - IBC.  In the next 17 days before I started neoadjuvant chemo (chemo before surgery), I did develope peau d'orange, enlarged breast, inverted nipple and the node continued to rapidly enlarge.  I never developed reddness, pain or ichiness.  Many have different experiences.  We are each so unique and there are no absolute  'rules' that apply to how our body reacts to anything.

From the way the pictures look, I'd be more concerned with nursing my baby on that side until I knew what was actually going on.  Could be 'something' that could pass on to him/her with it being so close to nipple.  Just my thought.

Remember - IBC is rare; only between 1% - 5% of all DXd BC.  IF everyone who came 'here' who has decided they are IBC because of a rash/skin issue on breast - it would be the most common.   Obviously even with it being rare, the possibility of it does exist.  See a DR (or more if needed) to find out what is going on - sooner better than later

• prosaic
    edited May 2014

So I had an appointment today with a nurse at a breast clinic. She believes it's an infected cyst. I had an ultrasound, too, and the radiologist said the same thing: sebaceous cyst. I've been given a week of penicillin. Likely I won't relax until it clears up--especially after reading so many stories involving an initial misdiagnosis of cyst--but I will pushily follow up if things don't improve in 7-10 days. 

• Racy
    Racy Member Posts: 974
    edited May 2014

You are sensible to have seen the nurse. Keep monitoring and seek further medical advice if there is no improvement.

Wishing you the best :).

• Pk816
    Pk816 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018

hi did you go to the doctor for this? What happened?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,163
    edited March 2018

this post is 4 years old. Would be better to start a new one, and see your Dr.