Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo June 2014

Options

Comments

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited September 2014
    Options

verukaNY,

Hmmmmmmm, some are cumulative, some are not. I had Aweful and unbearable body pain with my first Taxol. I also had nail bed pain so bad I couldn't walk or touch things. My oncologist was not concerned with the body pain and said it+s often the worst the first time but said the nail issues were cumulative and a sign of neuropathy. I ended up neutropenic by the second week and my onc wanted to start giving me Neulasta again. I was concerned about the compounded Neulasta pain and Taxol pain so my onc reduced my Taxol dose to up percent for round two. I had no nail pain and the body pain was reduced ten fold and tended to stay in my shins and ankles. I also did not become neutropentic.

Just an option if the body pain is unbearable!

• Mompv
    Mompv Member Posts: 57
    edited September 2014
    Options

I am getting my last DD Taxol tomorrow. I find the effects cumulative. My fingers and toes are numb, and very sensitive to hot and cold. I get shooting pains down my legs and feel like I have weights on my legs. Bottom eyelashes are gone, top on the way out. Oh and lets not forget the eyebrows slowly making a retreat. I also find I am more tired as time goes on. Maybe its because I kept working and only missing treatment day and then some 1/2  days. I feel like I did not do myself any favors by pushing myself to work. I should have done more days off and more 1/2 days. So, here I sit today, at work, exhausted and hurting. Yes, I got all the bone pain and muscle pain from the Taxol and Neulasta.  I just want to whine even though I know tomorrow is my last one, I do not want to go through the SE again. I wanna cry! I should be happy tomorrow is the last but again I just simply dread the next couple of weeks. I know it gets better but it is still hard to face the inevitable. So, I tell myself to suck it up, other people have it worse. 

Ok, I think I am done whining. Its good to get it out.

I hope everyone has a better day today. Good thoughts to all of you in the coming days!

• Dixie1
    Dixie1 Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2014
    Options

Mompv congratulations on your last treatment tomorrow.  I'm one week behind you and I'm already dreading it.  My MO cut back on my last treatment because of the neuropathy but I still have numb fingers and toes.  The pain last about a week for me and eases off after that.  I can't imagine trying to work, I'm exhausted not doing anything.  I hope your last infusion goes well and your side effect don't last too long.  

• Mompv
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you Dixie! I hope yours goes well too

• Bow1965
    Bow1965 Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yay Dixie and Mompv, the end is near! I hear ya on the dread Mompv, it sucks knowing what is coming. I was discussing this with some vets on another site - it's very similar to PTSD, with nervousness and fear and some physical symptoms. You can do this!

For me, on dose dense Taxol the fatigue was definitely cumulative but my toe pain and finger sensitivity subsided after round one. Plus, they changed my meds so the bone/muscle pain was much better for the 3rd & 4th. 3 weeks PFC I am still a bit tired, have some weird feelings in my legs and my fingertips are still sensitive to heat. Overall I am starting to feel like my old self (sort of) and have a ton more energy.

I had radiation yesterday and today - other than the feeling of doom it was quick and easy. Honestly, I kept thinking of really bad things the first day, like it would hit my heart and I'd die right there on that extremely hard table...today I shut my eyes and meditated for the fifteen minutes, totally ignoring the technicians but oh well! I think I need to invest in a new bra at some point, something softer without under wire is recommended. 5 days a week until October 30th, blech.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited September 2014
    Options

Radical, Mompv & Dixie, I am on the same wavelength with you.   If my bloodwork is ok tomorrow, I am scheduled for last DD taxol on Monday.   I am so not looking forward to the SEs, but I am looking forward to being done, so it is a Catch 22!

I had more muscle discomfort with each round, but neuropathy has been mostly tingly fingers, so far.    I am eating mangos and some nuts, which was suggested by onc, so maybe that is helping?

Eyelashes mostly gone, and eye brows not much better.   Even my wig fits differently, and if i didnt know better, I would think the bangs grew because they are always bothering my eyes!  

Bow, - I really cant imagine working full time while on ACT!    I dont know how you did it!   Years ago I was on CMF and was able to work, but CMF was nothing like ACT!   This really wiped me out by comparison.      I did radiation years ago, too, and that was not bad at all for me.    Took me longer to get undressed and redressed than the treatment took!     The rad tech would put on whatever music I liked, to help relax me.     I used aloe gel after each treatment to help keep skin ok.  (but has to be washed off before next treatment.) 

Wishing you an easy time!!    Keep posting ladies, - I so appreciate your comaraderie!   

• verukany
    verukany Member Posts: 55
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you so much ladies!!  Sigh...not looking forward to the cumulative side effects, but maybe I'll be more prepared mentally and at least I know now there are some options to try to help mitigate them. Oh well....2 more to go...

• Mompv
    edited September 2014
    Options

thanks all! Today is the day! It's 430am and couldn't sleep well with all the hot flashes , I blame the steroids! My appt with MO is 830am ish. Blood work at 7am. 

Then onto the chair! I did find that if I took my ativan and loritab about 1/2 hour before benedrl push I didn't get the restless legs as much. I was able to dose. 

I am going to have my husband get some mangos or a jar or 2 of it and some nuts. But what kind of nuts? 

By the way he had been si great! Cooking and cleaning up and keeping up with his business. Monday though a client needs him for the week out of town. My DD is using her FMLA to stay home from work so I won't be alone. She normally works 1230-9pm. Her company, GEICO, has been great! May as well give them a plug!!! I am staying home most of next week! I am ready now to face this next couple of weeks! Just do it take the pills and soon I will feel more like myself. Rads next but not for a month. My MO likes to wait. 

Have a good day everyone! That's for all the encouragement 

• Radical2Squared
    edited September 2014
    Options

Mompv, good luck! I recommend Almonds! They keep your sex drive up! Lol

• Islandmama2
    Islandmama2 Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2014
    Options

well ladies...I had my 2nd weekly Taxol and a new PICC line today. This is my fourth frigging line! I had  3 others replaced due to the catheter coming out of the vein. This one was because the line broke and shot saline out when it was flushed. I was going to opt for peripheral starts every week but I still have 10 more taxols and my veins are crap. 

Vent over

• CanuckMom
    CanuckMom Member Posts: 143
    edited September 2014
    Options

Wow Islandmama....guess I'll rethink the picc...thinking I'll just stick with my iv's!  Hope tomorrow is better than last week!  BTW I am officially in chemo pause now complete with hot flashes! Yuck!

• Islandmama2
    edited September 2014
    Options

Canuck

Doesn't happen to everyone. Just the chosen lucky ones like me!

• Mompv
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yay all done with chemo! They did cut the dose this time to 80% because of his concerns with neurpathy. I am so exhausted today and the pain is starting,but in a week or so the pain will be gone. I keep trying to just get by day by day. I did finally take some days off work. I am taking Monday - Wednesday off to sleep and rest! My dr was a bit peeved at me for not taking more time! Well my first consult with radiologist is on Oct 2. So onto radiation! The last bit of treatment. I really cant wait to start feeling more like myself and be able to go grocery shopping and such! Exercise too, I will need to start soon. I dont feel like it now but I try to walk a bit around the house. I am so unsteady I am afraid to walk outside. ok goodnight everyone!

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Mompv!  Smile Done with ACT!!  YAYYYY!!     I hope the SEs pass quickly!

Radical, - I'll try more almonds now  Winking

Canuck and IslandMama, I hope that your lines run smoothly!

Does anyone know how Agent99 is feeling??

WIshing you all a good weekend and sending hugs from NYC!

• Radical2Squared
    edited September 2014
    Options

Congrats mompv! I can't wait to join you. I've got one more to go on the 30th.

• Islandmama2
    edited September 2014
    Options

I'm worried about agent99 too. I've PMd with no response. I hope she is just taking it easy.

• CanuckMom
    CanuckMom Member Posts: 143
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hope Agent99 is ok, she was so sick last time she posted!

So I met with my radiation onc.  He said there is a canadian way of doing rads which is over 4 weeks or the USA version which is over 6 weeks at a lower dose.  He said the theory of the 6 weeks is that it would be lower long term side effects but it is theoretical and not proven.  I initially picked 4 weeks for convenience but am now thinking 6 weeks may be the better way to go.  Any thoughts from you ladies?

Oh, also I really hydrated myself for my chemo on Friday and took an Ativan beforehand to help relax the hand muscles.  The IV went in first try (phew)!

• Islandmama2
    edited September 2014
    Options

Canuck

My RO said I would get 6 weeks but I didn't know about a 4 week option.

I would choose the 6 weeks anyways

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

CanuckMom,     I had 6 weeks of rads in 2001.   I was fine, it was just a hassle going there every day.   However, my skin got very red, - not painful, just red.  I used what ever lotion and gel was recommended, and the skin was ok.      I think I would opt for 6 weeks rather than higher doses for 4 weeks.    

• Fionascottie
    Fionascottie Member Posts: 56
    edited September 2014
    Options

Getting to the end of chemo is almost unreal......I never thought the time would come! I had my last treatment  3 days ago, on the 18th. The side effects are in full swing and , like  Mompv , I was dragging my feet dreading that IV.  There is still no feeling of relief really because I feel so yucky, but I'm trusting it will come.  I have an appointment with my breast surgeon to get updated images and schedule my lumpectomy for Oct.....then in to radiation. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend. We are starting to feel a bit of fall here in SC! 

• Radical2Squared
    edited September 2014
    Options

ok... Agent was on September 9. That was her last post...and it wasn't a happy one. I'm hoping she just got busy. Pretty sure her next treatment would be this coming week...maybe she'll post after that to let us know if it was better this time?

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi All,

I hope this finds you feeling good and enjoying this first day of Fall!

I am just home from last taxol!   Feeling groggy from the benedryl.       There is a 'reflexologist' nurse that goes around the chemo area and offers foot massages, but there are lots of patients and only one such nurse, - but she fit me in her schedule today.   It was wonderful!!

Sept 22 seemed so far off when I started this journey.   Hard to believe it is today!!   Onc says I should have more energy and feel more like 'myself' in 3 weeks, and see hair growth at 4 weeks.   Smile

BE WELL my friends!!

• Dixie1
    Dixie1 Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2014
    Options

Congratulation Fionascotti and anotherNYCG. I bet that foot massage felt wonderful. I hope the side effect aren't too bad and you feel better soon.   My last taxol is Wednesday.  Can't wait to be done and to see some hair growing. Happy

• Agent99
    Agent99 Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi everybody,

I have been sick, so sick but I am coming around finally. Just in time for my last chemo Thursday! I am so happy but I know it will probably kick my but again BUT did I mention it's the LAST one!!!  If you guys could only see me, aside from throwing up, swelling up, tears constantly rolling down my face, fingernails lifting, arm doing strange things I'm scared it's that lymphedema business, cording, insides burning, almost immobile from weirD leg stiffness! good lord!  The last one is THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everyone's concern and love! I wish I could hug each one of you!

Almost done!

Jeannine

• Bow1965
    edited September 2014
    Options

Agent99, I am surely not alone here in worrying and wondering about you! So sorry that it's been so horrid, at least the end is in sight. Sounds like you got every possible side effect, how awful -I hope your doctor or the pharmacist can help you through the last one, or at least try to lessen your symptoms. Sure have been thinking of you.

Yay NYCGirl and Fionascottie on making it to the other side! So happy to be cheering you across the finish line!!!

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thank you Dixie and Bow!  

I look forward to sharing your completion, too!!

Agent99, - so good to see you posting! 

To all here, both Jewish and non Jewish, - I send wishes for L'Shana Tova, - a Happy, Sweet and HEALTHY New Year!!

• Mompv
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hey everyone! 5 days post LAST TAXOL!!!! I did take time off work this week to sleep and lounge around taking pain meds! I meet with MO and radiologist on Oct 2. So, onto next phase of treatment. I am feeling better. I know this because i am thinking of exercising (lol) and want to decorate for Fall. I am not sure where tostart for exercise so I figure I will walk some when mylegs feel better and stretching beginning tomorrow. My fear is over doing and getting fatigued. Hang in there everyone! We will all get through this! I am wondering about the radiation every day. It is hard to come up with a good time of day with working full time. I hear you get really tired about an hour or so after. so I am considering late afternoon. its a half hour drive to the facility so dinner prep is an issue. i worry about the silliest things. I guess my crockpot will be my friend. okay enough rambling! Have a good restful night all!

• Bow1965
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yay Mompv! Woohoo! Here's a secret that my nutritionist, my medical oncologist, my acupuncturist and everyone else I asked told me...exercise is the cure for fatigue. It's hard to wrap my head around that! But I've been consciously trying to get some sort of exercise every day even if it's tough. I sit at a desk all day and sometimes the fatigue gets overwhelming.

Radiation is okay, I meditate throughout so I don't panic about the rays...pretty irrational, but it seems so much more invasive then chemo did. No side effects at all yet, but I do expect to get sore skin by week 3 (at least that's my guess from what I've been told and read)

• Mompv
    edited September 2014
    Options

so getting off my rump and at least doing some housework. Maybe vac, dust and pick up the top of my dresser which covered in hats ans scarves. i should try to walk to the end of the block, with my DD, my legs still have a tendancy to give out a bit. thanks you all for the encouragement. I need tostart excercsing my chemo brain too. I read in an after treatment book to read...a lot not twaddle but learning something, not cancer related. although nutrition related would be fine.ya know what else i am looking forward to is shopping for Fall clothes. we have a TJ Maxx 5min awayand a Homegoods 20min away. I take it as a good sign I want to shop!!!

• Radical2Squared
    edited September 2014
    Options

Agent99, I am so glad to hear from you! On the other hand, I am not happy to hear how terrible you are feeling! Be sure to tell your onc. It's your last treatment...They might cut the dose a bit and try not to kill you this time! Be sure to be honest about how unbearable it really was!

I don't know where else to post this, but I don't really have anyone in my "real life" who needs to hear it. 

My hero and best friend through all this bc carp is dying. Her medical proxy is a good friend of both of ours. Our mutual friend knew I was going to be having lunch with her today at her house. The mutual friend told me my friend had gotten the news yesterday that she probably only had a few weeks left to enjoy. I can not even imagine what that feels like to hear. The friend was calling to make sure I kept my appointment for lunch. 

I posted a poem I wrote for her (not sure if it was here or on my picture forum thread) a little while back. For those who haven't seen my ramblings or tributes to my friend and hero...She had breast cancer twice. She then got pancreatic cancer. This has all happened since I met her 11 years ago at work. She is about 20 years older than me and my life has sort of paralleled hers but 20 years behind. She is single. She has no children. She taught me that it is ok to live life for me and that I don't have to feel bad that I have "no family of my own" to compare when the other ladies at work are so proud of theirs. She taught science, I teach math. She helped me embrace my logical self and understand why some people view my reasoning as unfeeling and not compassionate. She taught me that I could love myself and stop comparing myself to other people because I felt like they had accomplished more with family and other normal life activities. She taught me that it was ok for me to have fun and life didn't need to be all about work.

She had both of her breast cancers before I ever got mine. We would go for motorcycle rides out on the winding country roads together to get her mind off all she was going through. The kids at school (age 13) jokes that two of their teachers were tough motorcycle bitches...and they still think we don't know they talked about us! Lol 

She found out she had pancreatic cancer one month before I found out I had breast cancer. We left work at the same time and the kids were devastated. They lost 2 of their 4 core teachers. We've really hung on each other over the last 9 months. The thing is... I'll be returning to school at some point this year. She will not.I'm leaving to see her in 2 hours (it's an hour drive) and due to both of our medical schedules, it may be for the last time. She doesn't know that I was told she is at the end...this is going to be a very tough trip. I'm going to pick up apples and fudge at the orchard on the way as usual but I don't know what happens from there....honestly...I'm scared.

I'm sorry for being such a downer... I just needed to "talk" at someone a bit. I guess I also wanted to remind us all that we're putting our bodies through all this he'll for the same reason...to live! Thank you for listening to my rambling.