Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Loss and Arimidex (generic)

Options
ktlearn
ktlearn Member Posts: 4

I started generic Arimidex a month ago and have noticed quite a bit of shedding. Since I am going to be on it for 5 years, I want to be as proactive as possible with this SE.

Those of you who have been on Arimidex a while and have the hair loss side effect, what has worked for you to combat it? Is it safe to take Biotin while on Arimidex? 

Any other pointers?

Thanks in advance!

Karen

Comments

• sweetrose8
    sweetrose8 Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2014
    Options

I've also recently noticed that I'm having hair loss due to the Arimidex. My doctor advised me of applying castor oil + olive oil for hair regrowth and strength but it isn't effective cause of the Arimidex! I'm also taking Fish Oil softgels. I would also appreciate to read some helpful tips. Thanks!

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited August 2014
    Options

coconut  oil? I got a dandruffy flakey scalp last winter probably from psoriasis.  used cold pressed organic coconut oil, no more problem with scalp but the oil was cold & clogged the tub drain.  bitg trouble there.  I guess melting it first would help that

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    edited August 2014
    Options

I was having hair thinning issues before BC diagnosis. I started seeing a dermatologist for that about 15 months ago. I think we were making some progress, and then I started Arimidex in May of this year. My dermatologist assures me that he treats and has treated many women for hair thinning/loss who are on AIs. Since the beginning with him I have been on fish oil, Biotin, cinnamon, B-complex vitamins, low-dose aspirin, Pentoxifylline (Rx for blood flow), 2 topical prescriptions, and a prescription shampoo. Also, when I see him every three months, I get injections in my scalp. It sounds worse than it is because he uses an air gun thing so it doesn't really hurt. So far I'm doing ok, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse which is about the best I can expect since I had issues prior to BC. 

Anyway, ktlearn and sweetrose8, I would suggest you see a dermatologist for the hair issues if your insurance allows. 

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2014
    Options

After about three or four months, my shedding just plain stopped, and stayed stopped.

• janett2014
    edited August 2014
    Options

BrooksideVT, that is GREAT to hear!

• janett2014
    edited August 2014
    Options

Forgot to say this earlier. My dermatologist has me alternate an over-the-counter shampoo with the Rx one. The brand name is organix (purple container). It says "thick & full, biotin & collagen" on the bottle. 

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited August 2014
    Options

I've been taking biotin since my hair started growing back after chemo (2.5 years ago), and my stylist and I both agree that it's never been thicker or grows faster than now.  I am on arimidex.  No shedding at all. It's an inexpensive supplement I buy at my Sprouts store.

• ktlearn
    ktlearn Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2014
    Options

I guess I am going to answer my own post and update any who read this about what I am doing.

I have begun taking Biotin twice a day (along with my calcium tablets and Vitamin D supplements). Claireinaz, what dosage of Biotin are you taking? I take a 1000mcg tablet twice a day.

The other thing I am doing is using a line of haircare products designed for thinning hair. The line is called Nioxin. I scoured the Internet and found it was recommended by a lot of people. It does NOT promise to restore lost hair, but it is designed to help us keep the hair we have. It comes in 6 different systems, depending on the kind of hair you currently have. I am using System 4 (for fine, noticeably thinning hair that has been chemically treated). Mine is not noticeably thinner, but I figured that if the shedding kept on, it would be, so I chose that one.

For it to work (from what I have read), you really need to use three products: cleanser (shampoo), scalp therapy (conditioner that washes out), and scalp treatment ( a leave-in conditioner). In addition, I have purchased two other products: Hair Booster (to help in the areas along the hairline that look thin) and Deep Repair Hair Masque (to use occasionally to help me comb through my hair better).

And now, about its use....I have long hair and have found that the system works so well in "thickening" the hair that I have a hard time combing it out without tugging too much hair out, so I bring a very wide-toothed comb (more like a pick) into the shower with me. I use the shampoo (which instantly adds volume to the hair), rinse it out, and put on the scalp therapy (conditioner). Then I comb through my hair while the conditioner is in. That helps the time pass for the treatment to remain in the hair. I then rinse it out. Towel drying is more like towel dabbing. I then add the Hair Booster to the hairline areas (it is like a serum) and then add the mousse-like Scalp Treatment last.

I have used the product less than a week, but my hair looks really healthy. As a matter of fact, after I used it the first night, I attended church the next day. An acquaintance came up to me, asking, "What did you do to your hair? It looks wonderful. You look ten years younger!" Ok...definitely going to keep using this stuff!

Here is a link that describes what Nioxin does:

http://womenshair.about.com/od/problemhairadvice/f...

Anyway, I will keep using the products. BTW, these products are fairly expensive. I think you can find them at beauty supply shops, but I bought mine off Amazon. To me, they are worth the money.

But, I am still hoping for results like BrooksideVT had!

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    edited August 2014
    Options

Also started Nioxin products and dermatologist has me on Viviscal, a supplement, in addition to the Biotin. Shedding is less but my hair is MUCH thinner. I'm on Aromasin. Also brows never came back after chemo and once-thick lashes are sparse. 

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718
    edited January 2015
    Options

Nioxin can sometimes be found at TJ Max and Marshals for a lot less.

I used Nioxin #4 for a while after cold capping through my chemo to save my hair (the caps worked). Cappers are not allowed to shampoo vigorously and by the end of chemo my hair and scalp felt as if it was not clean. Nioxin got both wonderfully clean. I went back to using organic shampoos since then simply to avoid using chemicals.

However, I am on generic Arimidex and after a year and a half on it, my hair suddenly began to shed. I can see that my hair is thinning, although others cannot yet. I will be going back to using Nioxin in hopes that it will help.

I already take 5000 mg of Biotin a day and 5 drops of BioSil liquid silica for my hair. I believe the BioSil helped my hair get much stronger and thicker after chemo, but I lazily cut back on the amount I had been taking last summer to only once a day which might be why I started shedding. I have recently upped it to twice a day again and am waiting to see if that makes a difference.

I am considering adding Viviscal as I have read that it is good for thinning hair, but will have to see what's in it when buy a bottle so that I don't take too much of any one supplement.

Shedding is frustrating. I refuse to lose my hair. I will stop medications first.

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2015
    Options

I was on anastrozole for over a year and one day the joint pain was so bad I couldn't get out of bed then switched to exemestane. No hair loss on either but I have an annoying hum in my right ear.

• intothewoods2
    intothewoods2 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options

I was given my first Rx for Arimidex last week and I am terrified to start taking it! I am predisposed to androgenic alopecia...I know this because, A - I have been battling hair loss since I went through menopause 15 years ago, and B - I have experience with anti estrogen meds which I took in my younger years as part of my fertility treatments that ALWAYS caused shedding while I was on them. To compound the problem I also take thyroid meds which can exacerbate the hair loss issue.

I once had excessively thick hair and I have probably lost 50 - 60 % from the crown, thru the top and at the front and temples. Because my hair was so thick to begin with, most people think I have a "normal" head of hair...especially those who didn't know me back in the day. I keep my hair extremely short now and that helps to mask the thinning.

Over the years I have tried Biotin, Nizoral shampoo (Nioxin), various other supplements recommended for hair loss but none ever worked and eventually I gave up on them. The last 6 months or so, however, the shedding has slowed considerably for no apparent reason and the thought of having it all start up again is enough to make me refuse the AI completely. I know that sounds crazy...but the stress that would bring is almost as scary as a recurrence of BC.

I am beside myself....

• janett2014
    edited January 2015
    Options

intothewoods2, I recommend that you ask around and find a dermatologist in your area who has a good reputation for treating hair issues. I started seeing one before my cancer diagnosis because I was having hair thinning issues. We were making some progress, and then I got cancer. I knew that Arimidex would negatively affect my hair, but so far I'm holding my own with the doctor's help.

I can't tell where you live, but if it happens to be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, send me a PM.

• WaveWhisperer
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hortense, after a year on Arimidex and a year on Aromasin, my hair suddenly started shedding badly. I can see scalp in some places and if I lift up my hair, there are bald spots. I had been taking 5000mcg of Biotin ever since chemo started 3 years ago. I am seeing a dermatologist who specializes in hair thinning, and she has me on 2 Viviscal tablets a day, a prescription dandruff shampoo that's supposed to slow hair loss. She also recommended so many supplements, I just don't have time in the day to take them all. I also use Nioxin in addition to the dandruff shampoo.

The shedding has slowed but no signs of regrowth. I had such thick hair, no one butme and my hairdresser can tell, but it makes me sad after the ordeal of losing all my hair during chemo and having it come back fine, only to start losing it again.

• car2tenn
    car2tenn Member Posts: 132
    edited January 2015
    Options

I am so sorry to read these issues and report my experience....I was diagnosed December '13 with Stage 4 breast cancer from the get go...I have taken the Brand name Arimidex for 90% of the time...Not an easy accomplishment as it is expensive.

I have never had my hair look better...I never had thick hair0 that was my sister. Now at 67 for the first time in my like I am proud of my hair...I don't get it and I don't understand it...who knew? Carolyn from Music City

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2015
    Options

Carolyn, I have a similar experience I lost of lot of hair about 12 years ago due to menopause now after getting BC and taking AI's my hair is getting thicker. I guess we are the lucky ones.

• lexie2002
    lexie2002 Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Hortense,

I've been on generic Arimidex for a year and a half also... My hair is starting to come out on top and I can

see my scalp. It's really upsetting me. I can't lose my hair again. It's the only thing that makes me feel somewhat

normal. So many people say that Nioxin doesn't work. I just think without the estrogen we are doomed to lose our

hair. :( I wonder if Rogaine really works, have you tried that? I just wonder if when you put it on your scalp it

leaves it greasy???? and if you can still style your hair with it on.

• janett2014
    edited August 2015
    Options

lexie2002, I really recommend finding a dermatologist who works with patients with hair loss and/or thinning. I was having hair issues for a year or two before my dx. I was definitely making progress with the help of my dermatologist. Since then I have at least been able to not get any worse with his help: lots of supplements as well as prescriptions (pills, shampoo, lotions, and injections).

• WaveWhisperer
    edited August 2015
    Options

Janett, I second your recommendation. I've been working with a dermatologist who knows a lot about hair loss. With prescription pills and shampoo, plus supplements, the shedding has slowed. Still there's no new growth.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    edited September 2015
    Options

Has anyone really researched of Nioxin is safe...... with Arimidex?