Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone have fat necrosis? What did it feel like?

Options

I have a lump in the area above my underarm scar tissue from all the axillary node dissections. It's a squishy sort of lump and moves around. I'm going to the breast surgeon in a few days and I'm sure they'll biopsy it. I seem to remember my first recurrence lump, which was in the same area of the original tumor (this new one is not) felt harder. Anyone who had fat necrosis - did it feel different than a tumor? Hanging on to some desperate hope here -

Comments

• Miller1353
    Miller1353 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2014
    Options

I have had many necrotic lumps. Mine are hard, smooth lumps. It is easy to think they are breast cancer. They are painless and often increase in size. I have a fine needle biopsy with each discovery. So far, so good.

• minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    edited September 2014
    Options

thank you Miller1353. Have yours appeared near surgery sites?

• minxie
    edited October 2014
    Options

I went to the breast surgeon yesterday and they did mammo and ultrasound that came back all clear. They're going to do a biopsy Friday. They said maybe fat necrosis but they want to be sure. I am scared, very scared right now.

• yogamama
    yogamama Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2014
    Options

I had a lump that turned out to be necrotic fat.  It was not on my scar line, but about two inches above.  It was very scary for a bit, as the ultrasound could not explain what it was.  My surgeon just decided to remove it and send it to pathology during my axillary node dissection.  I think it's difficult to know what it is without pathology.  I'm glad you are on it and having the biopsy.  I really hope that's all it is.  I know the wait is torture!  Hang in there…

• Racy
    Racy Member Posts: 974
    edited October 2014
    Options

I also have recently felt a long, firm thickness near my axillary scar line. I had a clear ultrasound in June following a different scare, and doctors' examinations in June and July that found no issues.

I am having my annual imaging within a week.

Sending benign hopes to all facing this issue.

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've had fat necrosis diagnosed two times. Do you think it's normal to continue to keep getting lumps that turn out to be fat necrosis? I'm just so tired of this. Now I think I feel another one...sigh. Just went through this a few months ago and once last year if I remember correctly  

• minxie
    edited October 2014
    Options

just got the news - benign! I swear this is the first time I've ever gotten good news from my breast surgeons office.  Guess it was fat necrosis after all. 

• Racy
    Racy Member Posts: 974
    edited October 2014
    Options

So happy to hear, Minxie! Enjoy your weekend ;)!!!

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    edited October 2014
    Options

Great news Minxie. I know that feeling of relief is wonderful  Have a beautiful weekend