Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stressful event years before diagnosed?

Options

Comments

• Grammy4
    Grammy4 Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2015
    Options

Queen Elizab

thank you for your entry. I too believe that we are all experiencing breast cancer because we are exactly where we are suppose to be in life. I am doing my best to try to figure out what it is I am to learn from this experience. I know I will be a changed person when I come out the other side. I will be me at the core however, there is a part of me that I want to be better than I was before, more compassionate, less critical and taking in the beauty of nature every day. I have faith that I will accomplish these changes and perhaps be able to move forward in a more confident way.

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94
    edited January 2016
    Options

Just saw this thread. I was diagnosed with cancer the first time 8 years ago but the stress from that didn't bring on my curent cancer. However.... in July the stress from my job increased dramatically due to continued layoffs. In July my 3d mammo and US came back normal. In December my MRI picked up the recurrence. May not be connected but now the threat of losing my job is only increasing a stressful situation.

• Grammy4
    Grammy4 Member Posts: 22
    edited February 2016
    Options

Cosmic69

I too had endometriosis and had hysterectomy at age 25. I was on HRT for quite awhile as well. But aside from all that my marriage was failing for about 10 years before diagnosis. I spent that time trying to hold it together but to no avail as ex was not interested in being married anymore... So in June 2014. I retired from teaching 33 years, sold the house and moved to a small apartment near my family. One year later, I had the BC diagnosis... Don't know if there is a connection...

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2016
    Options

I had a very stressful life 6 years prior to my diagnosis. My emotions were helplessness, fear, anger and sadness. I read somewhere in a book that only half of the people in these situations get cancer. The other half have a strong immune system that kills the cancer even if it already started developing.

• mray2b1
    mray2b1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    Options

Wow, my daughter died 7 years to almost to he day I noticed the strange redness on my breast. I get a punch biopsy on Weds to see if I have inflammatory breast cancer. I have the bumpy skin and slight welts and breast soreness that are the symtoms. I sure hope it is not but am preparing myself for the strong possibility by checking out breast cancer forums. I am hoping to find alternative types of treatments.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited December 2016
    Options

mray2b1, we too are hoping everything is fine for you, and are sorry for all you have gone through losing your daughter. Medicating

• siciliana
    siciliana Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2016
    Options

Interesting topic. My husband died of brain cancer 7 years ago on December 6th. I was diagnosed about a week ago.

• oceangirl654
    oceangirl654 Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm so sorry, mray2b1 and siciliana. Sending best wishes your way xx

• PeppermintPatti
    PeppermintPatti Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Stress. Here today, back tomorrow! I had a lumpectomy in '98 with rad, a lumpectomy in '06 with rad, and a bilateral mastectomy 12/05/16 (waiting to see what my next recourse of action is) all DCIS. It came back on the '06 side. Sure, there's stress. I divorced 20 years ago, worked 3 jobs, and put myself through school while raising my son, my Mom died a year after my 2nd surgery almost the same day, and my older brother who has Asberger's lives with me, who I support. I do my best to get by living a spiritual life, I have a great sense of humor, and even wore my fake nose and glasses wheeled into surgery the 2nd and 3rd time! It's true!

I was going to the gym working out with a trainer twice a week, and was also taking ballroom dancing once a week and going to yoga intermittently. I'm an avid reader, a church goer, and basically, I just try to live my life. I've always seen a counselor for extra support, and I'm a 26-year member of Al-Anon (as I was affected by someone's alcoholism) for additional support of keeping the focus on myself.

I was the 4th woman in my family to get BC followed by two more women. 6 of us!! I have not been BRCA tested as of this writing. My first BC was found on my baseline mammogram when I was 40. I have never missed one mammogram in 18 years. The nurses tell me I am the poster woman for getting mammograms!!

My vitamin D3 was very low, and I know that is common for many people. I don't want to think it is any one thing. I believe spiritually-speaking, I'm called to go through this again to help other women. There are so many out there who have never had a mammogram or who haven't gone in decades! I met two of these women in the last three weeks and implored them to get mammograms! My advocacy continues.

I am off from work until the end of January so I can continue to heal. I am going through the reconstruction process. At first, drs were not sure it could be done since my body has been radiated, but after a certain machine tested my skin during surgery, I am indeed a candidate. He only started with a small fill. My breasts were rather small to begin with. Two little breasts have caused much havoc!! I am grateful for my diligence in my yearly check ups.

I do believe love and support is essential in our everyday lives. I know I can use a little bit more of both!

I am happy to have found this community of very brave and courageous women! Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! Stress, um, yep, it's always there. I need to crank up more effective ways to combat what's out there!

Here's to a happy, HEALTHY 2017!

• oceangirl654
    edited December 2016
    Options

PeppermintPatti, Thanks for your post. You've been through a lot. It's good you keep an upbeat attitude! I hope your healing goes very well and you never go through this again!

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited December 2016
    Options

I'm not so sure about the stress connection. Everyone has stress. Everyone. I highly doubt that any of us could look back over the last 10 years and say, "Well, that was a nice long 10 years of no stress!" Ha! I certainly can't. So, going back and listing all the stressors and then assigning them to my current state of health is just ludicrous.

My life has always been stressful, going way back to childhood abuse. I'm 60! But that's not what gave me breast cancer. I have two gene mutations that caused my breast cancer, and which will continue to try to cause other cancers for the rest of my life. Now THERE'S some stress!

• oceangirl654
    edited December 2016
    Options

I believe it's a combination of genes (sometimes many different genes each having a small effect), pollutants, and stress. Stress lowers your defenses. Stress is chronic in our lives, but some things create a huge traumatic and sudden stress, and those are probably the worst. But we can't blame anything really, because there's no way to know. In a way, it has been a bit easier on me that my mom, my sister, and I all got breast cancer but we all have different lifestyles so it made it impossible to feel guilty about anything I've done.

• Tresjoli2
    Tresjoli2 Member Posts: 579
    edited December 2016
    Options

I suffered back to back miscarriages, then had my second child, my rainbow baby, in 2012. She did not sleep. Ever. She had a problem with short sleep cycles. I would go 18 days at a time with almost no sleep. Add to that a 3 hour round trip commute to a stressful job. I was diagnosed before she was 3 with a triple positive cancer. I think my body had a weird reaction to the constant flow of pregnancy hormones for three years and then the sleep deprivation and stress finished me off.

• oceangirl654
    edited January 2017
    Options

Oh gee. That sounds hard :( I hope things will be better for you now. Happy times ahead!

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2017
    Options

I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumour in April 2009, surgery July 2010. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2015. All that said, I'm a police officer, have been for 22 years... there has been some stress along the way. I don't believe stress caused it but I agree with some of the others here that stress plays a part somehow.

• Utopria
    Utopria Member Posts: 182
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yes, in my case my hubby underwent quadruple bypass surgery 2 years before my diagnosis. Even now, I worry that he will drop dead from a heart attack.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2017
    Options

Me too oceangirl. My Mom, her aunt and my sister and I all got BC. I think for us it was genetic. I skid agree we all have stress overload. I like when the doctors advise avoiding stress like what we asked for it? My ONC said I just drew the unlucky card. Ya think?

Is what it is. We are all survivors.

Diane

• oceangirl654
    edited January 2017
    Options

Yes, that's true! It's not like you plan to have stress usually!

• Lexicoe
    Lexicoe Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2017
    Options

Interesting question! I hadn't thought about it before you asked, but I was under extreme stress spring 2009-January 2011 and I am still dealing wth the after-effects of it. I was diagnosed in February 2017.

• Falconer
    Falconer Member Posts: 801
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I was thinking about what you said and I was going to write yes, I definitely had stress- divorced mom of two, remarry, figure out stepkids/ dad land, third baby at the age of 42. There are so many lovely blessings in all this though, so I'm not sure. My mom had my brother when she was 40, and my grandmother had her last baby at 42. Both mom and I had bc; grandma didn't, though she was a lifelong smoker who died of old age at 86. There are too many variables to really understand what caused it. Stress does disrupt the quality of your life, but who knows really what brings on cancer? The hopeful piece is to receive good treatment and move on. Best to you as you move through this journey.
  • drained6513
    drained6513 Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2017
    Options

I can't say for sure stress would be the defining factor for causing BC.  I know I was under extreme stress for at least 7 years before I was diagnosed.  I think it's not just one factor.  Environment... such as pollution, genes, bad luck, maybe poor medical care and then add the stress and there you may have it.  I think stress can do a lot though and catches up to you in later life, like middle age.  What stress you can take younger, your body may not handle as well at this age.  Some ppl are able to handle stress better than others.  Mentally I was handling the stress, didn't like it, but I was..... I'd say my body just gave out.  

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited July 2017
    Options

My job was super stressful for the whole 12 yrs prior to diagnosis. All we did was lay people off and move jobs to China. Then I got shit canned too. Having a baby at 37 blew my mind too (It was great, my son is a blessing) but the responsibility and lack of sleep. I've had ulcerative colitis since I was 21. I thought colon cancer would get me. Meanwhile from 1st BC diagnosis to regional recurrence I found my magic bullet for colitis and went to work 3/4 time. This is an interesting subject, though I live near Cleveland Ohio and am sure the crappy drinking water (all the iron ore and industrial waste from the 60s and 70s still sits in the muck of Lake Erie) and my dad and grandparents smoked like chimney's til I was 8 along with the house I grew up in had asbestos tiles in the basement which was always damp and probably evaporating and circling in the air. Kinda screwed that way.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2017
    Options

What an interesting theory.

Seven years ago my infant son was having surgery to correct spina bifida. The entire pregnancy had been difficult, and then to hear the day after he was born that he had this spinal defect, was just awful. A year later, I had a mini breakdown when he was diagnosed with autism, right as my older child was also diagnosed with some learning difficulties and I was laid off from my job.

Two years ago I was in a new job that was so stressful that it triggered an auto-immune disorder that had been laying mostly dormant for 20 years, that is now chronic and will remain so. I thought this would be what got me in the end.

I had just had what felt like the best birthday ever when I found the lump on my breast. We'd had such a great family vacation this summer, kids are both doing great in school, I hadn't been this content in years. I will admit that if I'd received this diagnosis at any other time during the last 5 years, my husband might not have handled it as well as he is.

• notinuse
    notinuse Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yes. I am 33 but I had a lot of rubbish happen in my life in the years prior to my diagnosis. I am sure it's played a part as my heart has been broken 3 times in recent years. Please excuse the lack of feeling with making a list of events but it seems easier...

2011: One of my best friends killed her 2 children and then herself. I was literally part of the "clean up" crew and unfortunately know ever tiny detail of the events surrounding this. We are still dealing and facing with the aftermath of this. Heavily supporting the Father/Husband left behind.

2014: Major unexpected events happened with 2 very close friends that mentally disturbed me.

2014: My Grandma suddenly died.

2016 May: Admitted to ICU for Anaphylaxis, stopped breathing.

2017 Feb: My 10 year old Flatcoated Retriever and best friend died whilst I was stuck in Canada.

2017 May & July: I was admitted to ICU for severe Anaphylaxis and Asthma.

2017 June: Another close/best friend, one of 19 years and she was 31 years old, died suddenly and instantly in a car accident.

I am sure these events have played a part in my cancer. I may be loopy thinking such thoughts. I don't blame these events or the people involved of course but I feel they have influenced my health. Heartbreak can do so much damage and so can a mentally disturbed brain after certain events. These are just my simple opinions anyway.

Reading through many of other peoples posts and I am sorry for all the heartache people seem to have faced. x

• catlady44
    catlady44 Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2018
    Options

Houmom and Notinuse I'm really sorry you have gone through this. It sounds like a nightmare. I wish I knew what to say.

• WorriedMe77
    WorriedMe77 Member Posts: 93
    edited February 2018
    Options

oceangirl654 that’s interesting my brother was murdered 7years ago major stressful event in my khfe

• catlady44
    catlady44 Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2018
    Options

This is kind of related so I thought I'd post it. I read some research that said that many cancer patients expereience a major depressive episode or other psychiatric disorders, before they know they have cancer. I'm friends with a psychiatrist and she said, "The body knows." I also asked her if the fact that I've always struggled with depression and anxiety could have caused this, and she immediately said, "No. It's all in the genes." i was relieved because I was afraid that this was my fault somehow. I think they're looking in to the role that stress has on a cancer diagnosis, but so far, the results aren't clear yet.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited March 2018
    Options

Through the last 6 years, I have heard from thousands of breast cancer patients through my blog. One thing I've noticed - almost all of them

have experienced a really stressful event numerous years before diagnosis. It always makes me wonder...especially because I certainly did.

• Bosombuddy101
    Bosombuddy101 Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2018
    Options

Interesting, I did experience a major life changing stressful event 7 years prior to diagnosis.

• buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited March 2018
    Options

I had an extremely stressful life event seven years before diagnosis, and then another one two years before diagnosis. In both instances I was in fight or flight mode for months. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, it's amazing that I can be under this much stress and it doesn't break my body." Maybe it did break my body after all.

I have sometimes wondered if those events contributed to my breast cancer - intuitively I feel that maybe they did, but maybe it was some other factor and it would have happened anyway. I guess we will never know. Interesting thread though.