Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Frejen
    Frejen Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2018

Hello.

I would like to ask for some advise.

My wife has been on gemcitabine/cisplatin combo but changed to Ibrance/exemestane and is now on cycle 3 (first 2 were 125 mg. and now 100 mg.).

Tumor markers gone up from 72 to 219 i 2,5 months. This is really worrying. Is there hope for Ibrance to kick in yet or should some other options be considered?

Is there anyone out there with similar experience?

Best regards,

Frej

• NettaGER
    NettaGER Member Posts: 128
    edited June 2018

Frejen: It could be a flare reaction of dying tumour cells, if no progression can be observed. I had a rise of CA 15-3 from initially 38 to 149 within the first 2 months. Then it went up to around 170 before dropping by 25% at around 7 months after I started treatment. At the same time, my primary tumour in my breast basically disappeared, my nodes shrank significantly and my bone mets started to have sclerotic rims. Therefore, do not worry too much about the tumour markers.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,032
    edited June 2018

With the blessing of my MO, I am going to switch to the 5 days on, 2 days off dosing of Ibrance. I'll let you all know how it goes. I often feel more fatigued during my off week, so I think this regime might be better for me.

• Frejen
    edited June 2018

NettaGer: Thank you for answering!

I was writing that as we were walking in to the oncologist office to hear the results from yesterdays CT-scan. Unfortunatly there was some progression in the liver mets. But not so much in the bone- & lung mets. We decided to continue with Ibrance and change from exemestane to faslodex. Let's hope this could give some positive results after a while.

She has been on all kind of chemos and can not stand them anymore.

Br.

Frej

• Jaylea
    Jaylea Member Posts: 440
    edited June 2018

Sending prayers to all our friends that are moving to another treatment plan. May it be the perfect silver bullet for those crafty rogue cells. Claudia, I believe you are what my in-laws call a horsey woman, yes? Take some quality time with your mane buddy.

• Leapfrog
    Leapfrog Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2018

Mica1.....thanks for the very encouraging post. I'll be starting cycle 16 next week (I hope) and it's good to know you've had so much continued stability despite the scares.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited June 2018

Leapfrog, Happy Sweet Sixteen!

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited June 2018

Frejen, good luck to your wife and to you. She's so lucky to have you in her court. As you know, the entire process is so stressful and confusing, and it's wonderful to have another solid, caring brain in the mix to help work thoughtfully and rationally through options and results. I have had very few side effects from Ibrance/Faslodex (+ Xgeva every three mo...started with monthly for 6 mo or so). Have you all read up on recommendations related to getting the Faslodex shots (ways to minimize discomfort from shots)? You may want to check out the Faslodex string (or PM me). There are things your wife can do to minimize discomfort.

• JoynerL
    edited June 2018

Frejen, I should have added that I have just completed my 17th cycle of Ibrance/Faslodex. My last scans in May showed no signs of active disease. I was diagnosed in Feb 2017 with extensive primarily sclerotic mets throughout the skeletal system.

• Frejen
    edited June 2018

Lynn: Thank you so much for the kind words. My wife has been on X-Geva for a little over a year aswell.

She was recommended to lay down during the Faslodex shots and the nurse went really slowly (3 minutes each), and she did not get any discomfort yet.

• JoynerL
    edited June 2018

Frejen, a bunch of us have discovered (and this was a recommendation on this site) that if we take Claritin (or the less expensive generic, loratadine) 2 days before the shot, the day of, and for 2 days thereafter, there is less discomfort in general and fewer after-effects (soreness, etc). I have done so every time except for the first. It has really helped me. Also, I forgot to take the 2 days before this last shot, and took the first one the night before the shot. I had more discomfort this last time. She may want to give that a try.

• GracieM2007
    GracieM2007 Member Posts: 1,255
    edited June 2018

Well ladies, it’s been a short ride for me on Ibrance. It has failed. I have a lesion on the brain and one on the liver. Ct guided biopsy of the liver next week and on to cyber knife for the brain andAbraxane weekly

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited June 2018

Gracie, Drat! I am sorry that you have progression, but it is good that you have a plan in place so quickly. I hope that your new treatments provide you with a positive response and minimal SEs. Do you know when you will have cyber knife for brain met or when the Abraxane treatments will begin? You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• GracieM2007
    edited June 2018

Thanks Lynne. I met with the RO on Wednesday so right away but no set date. See MO again on the 26th so probably Abraxane that week or the next

• piggy99
    piggy99 Member Posts: 183
    edited June 2018

Gracie, so sorry to hear that the Ibrance regimen has stopped working so soon and that brain and liver mets are ganging up on you . Would you be eligible for a local treatment for the liver, if it’s just one met? Cyber knife can work really well on brain mets, with lasting results. And if you can’t have a localized treatment for the liver, abraxane is a pretty good systemic option.

Good to see your doctor is doing a fresh biopsy-with the brain involvement it’s possible this new progression is either Her+ or Triple negative and knowing would help a lot choosing the next best option. Any chance they could do genetic testing and also look for PDL expression and Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes? PDL would make you eligible for Keytruda and TIL infiltration seems to correlate somewhat with immunotherapy response.

Hugs and good luck with finding the silver bullet to get you back to stable or better.

• GracieM2007
    edited June 2018

So, brain mri Monday, ct guided biopsy Tuesday, cyber knife consult Wednesday

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited June 2018

Wow, Gracie, That will be a busy three days. At least you don't have to sit around waiting for things to get started. Do you have someone to go with you to the appointments

• bigbhome
    bigbhome Member Posts: 721
    edited June 2018

Gracie, I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I was hoping you would get a longer time with the Ibrance! You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday and I will be winging a steady stream of them next week!

Sending you gentle hugs,

Claudia

• JoynerL
    edited June 2018

And from me as well, Gracie! We're all here thinking about you and sending prayers for quick success and a long ride! xox

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited June 2018

Hi all..Went to ophthalmologist today..Mon nite woke up to pee..looked at my hands blood red..toilet paper red and white..Only nite lite on..in a.m. see large red floater looks like a lobster with round claws..on ceiling get up and its gone happened everynite after but last nite..She thinks side effect of Ibrance..Sending report to Onc..Anyone heard of this..or anything similar ty.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,032
    edited June 2018

Gracie-Sorry to hear that Ibrance failed you. Sounds like your med team is on the ball and is getting you to something that will work better. Hope that you can have a peaceful weekend as you rest up for next week.

• GracieM2007
    edited June 2018

Thank you everyone!

Lynne, my son is taking off work and my daughter will be home from Wyoming this evening, so both of them will be going to the appointments with me.

Piggy, I wondered about the localized treatment too and will ask him about it on the 26th. Am hoping for good things from the cyber knife and was really glad he was insisting on the biopsy instead of waiting.

Claudia, thank you and hugs right back!!!!

Joyner gosh I hope your words went right to God’s ear, as they say and that I get along time!

Chicagoan, it will be busy with my daughter home but that will help keep my mind occupies

• Penny-78
    Penny-78 Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2018

Gracie hugs and prayers. It sounds like you already have lots of love and support surrounding you ... but we can all use every bit we can get.

• Penny-78
    Penny-78 Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2018

Lakewoman haven’t heard of that. Hope you get help and can unravel that mystery soon!

• WANDERING
    WANDERING Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2018

Hello ladies: I received a notice in the mail today regarding the Pfizer Patient Assistance Program. If you have not received this and would like the information sent to you I can scan a copy and e-mail to you. Just send me a personal message and I will do this right away. It sounds like this will make getting medications from them easier and more efficient.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited June 2018

Gracie, I'm expecting that Cyberknife to do the job for you! My friend, Judy had that done more than a decade ago (maybe even 15 years...I can't remember exact date) and it has never recurred. 4 spots. A year later she had a scare with something showing on her scan. She insisted on a craniotomy and it turned out to just be radiated mush.

I'm glad you'll be getting Abraxane instead of one of the other taxanes. I remember the rep for that drug talking about it causing fewer side effects because it wasn't coated in a toxic substance like the others.

I pray that you do well and that you stick here with us.

Love from PatM

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited June 2018
    Gracie, very sorry to hear of your progression. Sending you positive vibes that your next treatment will be effective.
  • GracieM2007
    edited June 2018

Thanks Pat! I would love for it to work that well!

Thanks Lynwood

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited June 2018

Thanks Penny 78..

Fortunately I see Onc for monthly checkup this Wed.Also have,hopefully, just a summer head cold.With lung mets hope it stays right where it is!! Prayers for Gracie and all!!

• janky
    janky Member Posts: 478
    edited June 2018

Gracie - wishing you the best, healing hugs and prayers!! It is awesome that you have great family support too - great bonus! Do stay in touch with us 'Ibrancers'!