Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Lynnwood1960
    Lynnwood1960 Member Posts: 1,107
    edited July 2015

That's great Babs!

• Lynnwood1960
    edited July 2015

That's great Babs

• hopeinfitcher
    hopeinfitcher Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2015

hello,ladies,I didn,t ask my Dr.,how long we must take "Ibrance"?

today my 3 day-have headache

happy Independency Day!

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited July 2015

I'm guessing, like all of the others, we stay on it til it stops working (in other words, until progression).

Hopefully it works for a LONG time.

• Lynnwood1960
    edited July 2015

STefajoy, I just asked my onc this the other day and her answer was "As long as it's working..forever."

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited July 2015

I am on the treatment for life program. I will keep taking Ibrance for as long as it is working. [May this be for a very long time.]

*susan*

• sandilee
    sandilee Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2015

Myra- I just read the news about your scan! That's fantastic. I'm doing a happy dance for you! We are sort of on the same schedule in that I had a longer break between my first and second cycle, and I'm also in the reduced dosage. I'm really hoping I can duplicate your great results. :-)

Susan- I'm glad you had a good conversation with your doc and I hope you can get the side effects under control soon.

Welcome to all the new posters. I hope the information here gives you some comfort.I love all of this good news, but I'm a bit perplexed at the trouble some are still having with insurance companies. That must be so frustrating.

My son has been here so I haven't been online very much. I've been having a great time catching up and not thinking about cancer. It's been a nice respite.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday and time with family.

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited July 2015

Yea Myra!!! So so happy for you!

Happy happy day

:-)

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited July 2015

Thanks for the info on your experiences, Holly, Babs and Stefajoy. Babs, great news your levels are hanging on!

Stefajoy, I am glad to hear about what you doctor is telling you about your levels since they are similar to mine. And a relief your doctor isn't worried about travel. I am traveling for work in a few days. It seems like what your doctor says is consistent with the Ibrance instructions for doctors.

I suspect that my DH had an influence on my MO stopping me. My DH is a doctor and sees my lab results before I do. He saw the low levels, freaked out and called my MO directly. He is worried about the risk of infection because he has seen serious infections from low immune systems over the years. If I would have spoken to my MO, I would have pushed him to keep me on it and not lower the dose just yet. I don't meet the criteria for stopping and lowering the dose, based on the Ibrance instructions.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited July 2015

JHL, more things in common.. My DH is a doctor as well... Derm. At least my skin is good. Lol.

He often sees my results or talks to a doctor before me. He the one who broke the news to me about my April scan that showed progression. He knew even before my Onc. He's a good guy, takes care of me and I am SO blessed he is my DH.

Just saw an awesome fireworks show over Crowley Lake in the Eastern Sierras of California. Also took an incredibly beautiful hike (not far from Yosemite). Nature is so calming to me. It's been a good weekend.

Stefanie

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited July 2015

JFL and Steph both your DHs are MDs and you guys are having problems with insurance? I am so blessed with my insurance! So far they have rejected nothing. (Maybe I shouldn't jinx it ). I pay a fortune since my DH and I are self employed. You two are very lucky to have those men in your life to take care of you and watch out for you. I am too.

Yesterday really was a red, white and blue letter day! Had friends over, made dinner, had wine, watched fireworks and just enjoyed. I felt like my old self. Now this week it is back to exercise, no more excuses.

Happy Sunday all...Myra.

• VivianS
    VivianS Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2015

Myra,

That is good news, indeed! So happy to hear! l

• mdillard04
    mdillard04 Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2015

@Stefajoy

This is a brand new diagnosis. I found the lump in my breast January 2014 and my doctor told me not to worry and it was a cyst and that it would probably just go away. I trusted him and therefore I didn't question him. He never sent me for an ultrasound or scan. Fast forward to April 2015, I have my annual exam and he does a breast exam and now it is a concern. On April 29th after an ultrasound, mammogram, and biospy. I was told I had poorly differentiated IDC and high grade DCIS in a mass about 2cm in my right breast. So it was recommended I get genetic testing done... I did... Everything came back negative... No family history. My onc ordered a PETscan on May 11...on May 15th met with plastic surgeon set the date for the bilateral mastectomy. PETscan took forever to be scheduled. May 29th was the day... I was so nervous... June 1st my onc called and said don't stress but two small areas in your liver lit up and she wanted an MRI. It was then in my heart I knew. One week later , June 8th... She told me it had metastasized to the liver. Utter devastation! Liver Biopsy done on June 11th.

Monika

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited July 2015

mdillard,

We share a dx date... I was diagnosed on June 8, 2005. Ten years later, I am still here, though now with mets. This will take time to digest. After my progression, I spent about 6 months in my "deer in headlights" phase. But, I still work full time. I am lucky that my first treatment protocol gave me 5 years with NED. I have great hopes for Ibrance. Maybe I can get another 5 years, or at least something close.

Welcome.... sorry that you needed to join us.

*susan*

• mdillard04
    edited July 2015

Thanks Susan! I look forward to all the guidance and advice as I know no one physically who is walking this journey with me!!

Monika

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited July 2015

Steph, so funny about our DHs! It is definitely convenient for a lot of this treatment stuff. And like you mention, he also sees my results before my MO . . . . because he is checking, waiting for them while the MO is busy with other patients. :) He has been great with all this. He ultimately "diagnosed" me - he had been worried for months about metastases and had me run blood which revealed hypercalcemia. One minute, I am at work giving a presentation, the next I am driving to the hospital to be admitted for hypercalcemia treatment. I feel fortunate as well.

Myra, I wish my DH had the "in" with the insurance approval! Insurance is through my work. And company is self-insured. It is very odd, I have to deal directly with a colleague that I work with on business matters on this appeal. I feel so violated that I have to give all these details to someone at work. I haven't told people at work and am not sure if/when I will.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited July 2015

I just got back from a much needed vacation in St. Maarten and haven't been able to catch up with everyone yet. Myra great news on your scan results. I did a definite happy dance and had a pina colada on the beach to celebrate. Lynnewood great to hear your good news also!

Monika sorry you have to join us here, but you will find so much encouragement and a wonderful group of knowledgeable women. I also was misdiagnosed originally way back in 1996. When I was diagnosed 18 months later with Stage 3 I was not given a great prognosis. So I searched for an onc who would treat with both conventional and complementary treatments and had a more positive attitude. And here I am almost 18 years later. I still work full time and still lead a very active life. I met a woman in my onc office recently that was diagnosed with liver Mets in 1995 and she's still going strong. So many new treatments. Hoping you have many years on Ibrance.

Interesting that while I was away I had no sleeping issues which I have had continuously at home. I go tomorrow to have my blood work done. I feel great and had no fatigue while away, so hopefully the counts are good.

Hope I've been thinking about you and am hoping to hear some positive news. Hoping that your pain is better and you get good results also.

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited July 2015

Myra, so thrilled to hear your good news!!!!! Sounds like you had a great time on vacation, Dorothy, you deserve it! I got back from Big Bear Lake this afternoon. Gorgeous firework display and fun with friends this weekend. Perfect distraction. Having another high pain day today, so anxious to get results of my scans from last week. Really hoping there is a good explanation for days like today!

• hopeful34
    hopeful34 Member Posts: 522
    edited July 2015

Hello. I was just diagnosed with a malignant pleural effusion and some positive nodes after 5 years. I was stage I originally and had chemo, tamoxifen x five years, and a bilateral mastectomy....who knew?! Anyway, now that I am Stage IV my oncologist has put me on arimidex and is trying to get me approved for ibrance. I really hope I can get the help. I had to get on temporary SSDI the first go round due to cellulitis and MRSA, as well as many surgical complications. I have been working as a pedicatric nurse for the last 2 years and I will have my BSN in just two more weeks. Great timing, right. Winking I have medicare, but no prescription coverage, so they are hoping that will be the loophole for Phizer to cover the med for me. I will be devastated if I don't get approved. Anyway, I wanted to get some information of ibrance so I am hoping to get it here. Thanks ladies.

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited July 2015

Welcome Monika and Allison. Sorry you are here, but we are happy to support and help you along. Monika, the mis dx is disconcerting. I hate it when doctors tell you not to worry w/o the proper testing.

Dorothy, glad you had such a wonderful time! I missed you! Hope, fingers crossed for good results. Sounds like a nice weekend for you also.

Interesting when we are away from the daily grind we can sleep, and enjoy life. Are we putting ourselves under so much stress?

Wonderful day to all, having blood counts today, though I feel great. Xgeva as well and I think an exam. Going to speak to MO about spreading out bloodwork. That stress is getting to me.

Myra.

• mdillard04
    edited July 2015

Thank you Myra!! Hope your blood counts turn out good. I go for my first bloodwork on Thursday.

Monika

• Lynnwood1960
    edited July 2015

Welcome Monika and Allison! I am also new to stage 4 only since April. On my 3rd cycle of Ibrance. Only 2 things I can tell you for sure...my onc is very excited about this drug and very optimistic that I have many years left, and the information that you will learn from these ladies will be invaluable.

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited July 2015

Monika,

Very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, it is a shame since it sounds like the doctor dropped the ball, and early diagnosis is so critical. I have learned that we need to question everything (just had the wrong scan done last week and need a redo this week -they would not have known if I hadn't asked questions, and I have a great doc and hospital, but they are getting very crowded). When I first had the lump 7 years ago, it was summer and the doc was on vacation, etc.. but I should have insisted that I be seen right away since it had already spread to 12 nodes. If I were you, I would try to find the best doctor available in your area - you can usually check their credentials on the hospital website, talk to patients, etc…

Alison, good luck getting approved, and I think you will find a lot of useful info from the ladies on this site, it has really helped me.

Treatments are improving, thank God, so stay hopeful and keep a positive attitude since that is half the battle. Good luck with Ibrance and your treatments!

• intothewoods
    intothewoods Member Posts: 179
    edited July 2015

Hello everyone,

Not sure if I have posted on this thread that I am taking Ibrance 75 mg with Faslodex. . Such a poor memory, plus when fatigued I just pop in and out without posting. Today is day one of my first cycle off week and very curious to get labs done. I've started my summer break July 1 and it seems that I am more pooped than usual at the end of the school year. Spent entire day in jammies yesterday. Seems like I have one day of energy the next zip. Going tomorrow for blood draw.

Welcome Monika, Lynnwood and Allison.

Hope, I've been following your story and I'm wishing you some good news. Glad to hear of your weekend away.

Pearlady, I once had a psychiatrist friend point out that when we take a vacation we "vacate" our minds. I'll bet that's why you slept.

Myra, wishing you good results on your blood work.

Stefajoy, nature is incredibly important. I'll be spending a week in Mt Hood Oregon the first of August hiking and taking in the incredible green.

Be well,

Lisa

• capinva
    capinva Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2015

Tonight is the last night for Ibrance for 7 days. I have not had any side effects and get blood work next Tuesday. I'm anxious to see what my counts are since they were always lows when I did chemo in 2011. My dx was June 5 and I am so happy to see so many women who are living years with productive lives. When I met with onc he made it sound like the end but then second opinion with head of breast cancer for our area and she said Ibrance is showing great results and when it quits working then there are other things to try. I have a tumor on right ovary and mets in the peritoneum. I have a call into the doctor to get a drain tomorrow. Other than the pressure when the fluid builds up I feel fine.

Wishing all a happy Monday.

• VivianS
    VivianS Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2015

Allison and Monika, Welcome! I wish all good things to come your way and hope for good news with the Ubrance!

Alison, We have much in common. I was a pediatric nurse for many years before I went in to nephrology nursing. I was working on my BSN when I received my first diagnosis. (I was stage III) and I finished and continued working.

I have part A and B Medicare, but no part D and there's been no prob getting Ibrance covered. So, don't worry unless you have to. Keep that negative energy away!

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited July 2015

Lisa I love that.  I guess I did "vacate my mind".  But honestly its back to work today and I didn't sleep as well last night.  So your friend is probably right.  Mt Hood sounds so great.  I love nature also and find it so healing.  I'm curious why your onc started you on Faslodex and not Femara.   Is that because you had Femara previously?  Hoping for great results for you.  My onc has told me when/if this combo stops working he will switch to the Ibrance/Faslodex.

Holly cannot believe you had the wrong scan done.  Unbelieveable.  How does that work with insurance?  I'm wondering if my insurance would pay for both.

Hope your weekend away sounds great.  Now just wanting to hear good news from you.  Have you been back to the Sauna?

Have a great day everyone.  Its beautiful in NYC today.

• Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited July 2015

Haven't had time for sauna lately, too much vacationing! I'm going to call and schedule some sessions today. Feeling anxiety this morning and need to get my mind off it!

Hope everyone with blood work and scans gets a little good news. Hang in there everyone!

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2015

Hi Monika, Allison, and Lynwood,

I agree with you Lynwood that the advice from the ladies here is so valuable to us newbies.

Monika, I can relate somewhat. I had calcifications and dense breasts that got me mammograms every 6 months for 2 years and then boom! Biopsy, MRI, mastectomy, CT scan, Liver MRi, Spine MRI and spine mets biopsy all since April. I am in my third week of Ibrance and Femara. I get my first blood work done on my off week. I feel fine physically (no se) but mentally I still can't quite believe what has happened.

What's the Zoladex for?

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited July 2015

Hi All ; The nurse in my doctor's office is trying to get me approved for Ibrance. I've already picked up my Femara, and have started taking it already. The process just started on last Thursday, so hopefully I'll hear back from her soon.