Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Penny-78
    Penny-78 Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2018

To those of you who do not celebrate Christmas or Festivus I now wish a very Happy Boxing Day! I love and admire you all! ❤️👍

Joyner I wish I were in NYC today to provide support in person but sendingmuch love from Ohio

Grannax my thoughts and prayers to you for good news tomorrow.

• KatyK
    KatyK Member Posts: 206
    edited December 2018

I hope everyone enjoyed Christmas Day in whatever way you like that brings you joy! I did a Christmas intervention this year - it’s self-induced as I can have a tendency to take on too much and then it snowballs. Well not this year, I made a plan and pretty much stuck to it, delegated more and did less. Wow, it was delightful and I felt at peace and restful. We enjoyed a lovely Christmas Eve here with family and some friends but others did Christmas breakfast and dinner. So nice! Thinking of all of you who have doctor appointments and scans coming up and wishing you only good news. I get a bit of a break until January 9

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited December 2018

Joyner, wishing you luck and peace at your MSK appointment! Hope NYC traffic isn't too bad today...

Happy Holidays to everyone here, and I'm sending a wish for a happier, healthier new year for all of us as well!!

• holmes13
    holmes13 Member Posts: 192
    edited December 2018

Joyner I pray that you get the answers that you need to determine which treatment will be best for you.

Grannax- praying that your biopsy is benign.

I want to wish everyone a happy Holiday and the merriest of New Years!! Maybe this is the year for the cure!!

• novagirl
    novagirl Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2018

Hi all, I’m 4 days into taking Ibrance/Letrozole.

I’m newly diagnosed as stage IV.

I’ve been trying to read this entire thread. I was on page 30 and realized I would never make it to page 500 so I gave up!

Thank you for posting so much useful information.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays:-

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited December 2018

Welcome Novagirl.  Sorry you have joined us in the Ibrance Dance, but this is a good place if you find yourself Stage 4 and now on Ibrance.  You will learn much and love all the gals that are on this thread.  

So, to give you all an update on my MRI saga.  And thank you again for all the support.   My MO office called me today with the official report from the MRI results.  I, as I am sure most of you also do, got my results from medical records before the office called.  So I had already read the report.  But I wanted to hear what the MO had to say.  The pain is not from worsening cancer, thank God.  The report stated bulging discs at C3-C4, C4-C5, C5-C6, and C6-C7 indenting the thecal sac.  So I researched this and found that the bulging discs may be pressing on nerves and that is probably what is causing my symptoms.      The thing is my MO office nurse reported to me over the phone today "that there is no evidence that cancer is the issue, but degenerative changes".  I then reminded the nurse that my 3 month CT scan is scheduled for next week ( Jan. 2 )  and I do not have an appointment scheduled to see the doc.  The nurse told me that since I saw the doc on Dec 17 for an unplanned office visit for the neck pain I didn't need to see her in January.  So I asked about the CT results that is scheduled for next week and the nurse said they would review the results and call me with the results.   If there is changes I can come in, otherwise I was to make an appointment in Feb for my regular "monthly" office visit.    Maybe I am just overly sensitive, but I feel I am getting the brush-off from the staff.  The MO did not offer any advise on what to do about the continued neck pain or the results of the MRI ( bulging discs ).  Maybe since not an oncology issue they don't feel they should deal with it.  And they seem so indifferent about me seeing the MO for the next check-in appointment.  I thought monthly office visits were the norm, and when I first started seeing this MO she agreed to monthly office visits.  Now I feel they want to back off and only see me if there are new issues concerning the cancer.  I wondered, and posted here, that they would think I was 'crying wolf'.  Are they now????   The pain was not from cancer, thank God, but do they think I am a hypochondriac wanting to continue the monthly office visits if there is no change in the cancer.   Am I????   Do you all check in with your MO monthly??   I just feel better doing that, like we are touching base and catching issues early on.  Thank God the cancer is stable and I pray the CT next week is good.   But if we back off on appointments can things change and we not catch it in the early stages??   I hope she still agrees to monthly blood work and every 3 month CT's or is that going by the way side too.  

• ciaci
    edited December 2018

Candy, I was diagnosed - Stage IV de novo - in the Spring of 2017, and started Ibrance Aug 1, 2017. I am now in Cycle 19. I had an almost-clear PET scan in Jan 2018, and a "no evidence of disease" PET in July 2018. I now see my onc every 4 months or so, and get blood work done then. In between, I just don't think about it. I assume the Ibrance is doing its job, and I have orders to call her if I experience anything different - pain, "weird stuff", whatever. I admit, the first month or two after the July scan were hard - every little pain was a "what if it's progression?" scare! You should have seen what a hot mess I was when my sciatica flared up, LOL. But my numbers were good in November, and I'm having my 6-month PET (she doesn't do CAT scans) in January. Depending on the results, I'll either see her a week later, or I'll just keep my March appointment instead. Her goal is 6 months between appointments, scheduled a week after each PET scan, with blood work and Prolia shot done the same day as the appointment, and that's it. Sounds good to me!

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2018

hi candy - my mo has me come in monthly. I have to do this because I also receive a Lupron injection for ovarian suppression each month. Every three months I get the Xygeva shot for bone support. I think that if I didn’t need the Lupron, there would be a good chance that my mo would tell me to come in less.

We do check my lab work monthly while I’m on Ibrance to make sure that my neutrophils and other counts are staying within a safe range.

One thing I have chosen with the direction and approval of my MO team is to get scans only if something changes for the worse for me either physically, in my signs and symptoms, in the bloodwork, or any noticeable “lumps or bumps” or pains that are out of the ordinary. So at this time, I’ve only had 3 scans since April 2017. I am content with this as it gives me more anxiety to get the scans.

I hope this helps! Cancer is on so many levels such an individual disease and we all get to chose how we move forward with treatment. If you feel better having the monthly appointments and check-ins, then I say insist on it! Your mental well-being is just as important as treating cancer.

Love

Philly

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited December 2018

Joyner, we're right there with you and praying for good things.

Candy, have you considered an appointment with an orthopedic oncologist? I don't see mine regularly (my choice) but it's something you can do between medical oncologist visits if you're concerned.

Novagirl, welcome to the Ibrance Dance! Those little orange capsules are already working on the cancer and we expect to hear good things from you in the future. You have a circle of people here praying for you and we picture you seeing your son graduate one day. God bless you.

• novagirl
    novagirl Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2018

Candy I’m so sorry you are having terrible neck pain and that your MO’s office was no help. Maybe cortisone injections can help to ease your pain. I hope you find pain relief soon

I haven’t even thought to ask how often I see my MO now. What a good question.

PatgMc thank you for the warm welcome!!

• candy-678
    edited December 2018

Ciaci-  I am glad you are doing so well and you are happy with your care.  Sounds like your plan is right for you.   

Philly- I too receive a monthly Lupron injection.  So I will still have to come to the office once a month for the shot, but the office nurse gives it so I wouldn't need to see the doc.  Xgeva went to every 3 months in Oct so it was due in Jan. but now getting it in Feb with MO visit. ??? It will be late. I guess they didn't care. They didn't offer to make appt for nurse to give in Jan. 

PatgMc- We are a small town so we do not have an orthopedic oncologist.  We do have an orthopedic center, but I don't know how they would feel about treating me with the bone mets.  I have not called them to ask.  I think there is an orthopedic oncologist at a large cancer center 2 hours away, but I don't even know that for sure.  And I would be a new patient for them.  Would I need a referral and would my MO give that or think it is not needed. 

If I felt good, I think I would feel calmer about not being seen so often. But I certainly don't feel well.  Hot flashes. I get up in night to go to the bathroom and hobble there---body aches and stiffness. Fatigue---doze off when sitting, and tire easily when doing things. No stamina.   Pains that come and go---ribs, sternum, back, shoulders.   And a feeling of sickness, not nausea but unwellness.  A feeling that things are not right. Do any of you get that feeling?    I know some of these are side effects of the meds we take.  But I certainly don't feel good.  Some days I feel plain awful. 

I may see going to 3 month office visits- to discuss the new CT results and touch base.  But extending doc visits longer than that is worrisome to me.  We do have a serious disease and I think the doc should lay eyes on us frequently.  Ibrance is a wonderful medicine that has done well for so many, but can quit working at any time-and each person is different in that timing.  Even with every 3 month visits the doc would only be seeing us 4 times a year. And - newbies don't freak out -  our time on this earth is shortened with this diagnosis and how many of those years do we have.  

Sorry to be a downer.  I told you the mental aspect of this can be worse than the physical. I just feel like I have been tossed aside by my doc.       

• PatgMc
    edited December 2018

We are all afraid sometimes and if we read what most on the Internet write about metastatic breast cancer, we will start to believe our time on Earth is short. I promise you there are so many people who have lived for decades after an MBC diagnosis. You're not reading about them but they're out there. Some of them are my friends. If it can happen for my friends, especially those who haven't had today's magic medicines, it can happen for you and for me.

But I understand the fear. May I suggest a book that was helpful for me when I first had mets in 2012? "Fearless" by Max Lucado. It's available on Amazon but you can google it and read the first chapter and maybe even the whole thing for free.

I know those of you with young children are especially afraid. My daughter was 23 when I first had BC in 1994 and my heart broke, thinking I might die before I saw her truly grown up. She's now 47 and has had breast cancer herself, diagnosed when her daughter was 4. That precious girl is almost 15 now and I'm so thankful we've both been here to see her as a beautiful teenager. (See my sweet girls below working at the homeless shelter.)

I hope you are all able to take a deep breath and know that God has this. He has you and those you love in His hands and wants good things for you. If you don't feel cared for by your current doctors, I hope you will make a change just as you would for your children.

In the meantime, I'll be down here in Memphis holding you close to my heart.

Love from PatGMc

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,530
    edited December 2018

Good morning all

Welcome Nova girl. You can always read over what information you need anytime.

Candy I see my Onc once a month. I go in the office for blood work on one visit and then the following week bloodwork again and meet with Dr to discuss blood. My doctor is an oncologist and hematologist so I think that’s why I’m always giving blood. Then faslodex shots zometa infusion and we’re done until the next month and or PET scans which are every 4-5 months.

Candy I had spine Mets and did have two khyphoplasty repairs to my spine right at the site of the METS. The first surgery was with an Ortho surgeon and the second one was with an oncologist ortho surgeon. I also had steroid shot for back pain relief. That was done by the regular ortho Dr and they scheduled me for three surgeries bc sometimes it doesn’t work after the first time. I also have physical therapy which targets all the muscles that were involved helping to straighten the spine and reduce the SE’s.Thank God two days after surgery my (major) back pain was gone. I also use CBD oil it has improved my mood. I don’t take any opioids at this time. I do get up at night with the hot flashes sweats etc. I feel whatever soreness all the medication and surgeries have caused. I’ve had radiation too so it’s a pile of invasive surgeries, strong medication that alters your entire body.

I’m trying to live one productive day at a time. I love my off week from Ibrance by day 3 I really feel better. I take lots of vitamins. Say a lot of prayers and try to do something purposeful everyday. There are some vitamins and nutrients that we can take for depression. I pray for all of us that we have QOL and longevity like Pat GMC always encourages us and points us toward positivity with love and faith I too will carry that banner.

Tanya

• ciaci
    edited December 2018

PatgMc wrote "If you don't feel cared for by your current doctors, I hope you will make a change just as you would for your children." This is wonderful advice! Why do we put up with sub-par care for ourselves that we would never allow where our kids are concerned?

My first oncologist was an awful fit for me, but I didn't have the courage to change - I only sought a second opinion when he wrote me off after discovering my mets and pronouncing me "incurable" (yup, *I* was incurable, not my cancer!).

And Candy, you're exactly right - my plan is good for me because I feel perfectly fine; if I had any pain, discomfort, or simply felt "unwell", I'd be calling my onc's office! I know I've been lucky in this Ibrance dance - the only side effect I've experienced is tiredness (wouldn't even classify it as fatigue).

Hoping everyone gets as lucky as I've been!

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2018

Joyner....With you today and always. Keep us posted.

Novagirl...Welcome to our little world. You will learn so much from this board.

Candy...I see my oncologist every 4 weeks (exactly). I have blood drawn, then see him to go over the labs and determine if I stay on the same dosage of Ibrance/Letrozole. He then answers any questions or concerns I might have. He is also a hematologist/oncologist. After I see him, I get my monthly X-Geva injection. Scans are usually scheduled every 3-4 months. The office takes care of the scheduling.

Of note, for those of you applying for assistance with I/L, I got a letter yesterday from the PAN Foundation, that I was approved from Oct.2018 and continues until Oct. 2019. My specialty pharmacist takes care of all of this, so I've never had to apply myself. But, good to know that funds are available.

Wishing all of us a very Happy, Healthy, New Year!

Hope

• marynp
    marynp Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2018

Hey Candy,

I have been metastatic (stage 4) for 4.5 years now, never been NED the entire time, and yet my MO is happy to back off on the appt schedule anytime I'm just "stable". However, the MOST I will let it be spaced out is every 6 weeks (I just tell him I'm not comfortable going any longer than that, in my condition.) Now, I suppose if I ever reach a point where I am doing incredibly well, I may be willing to back off to every 8 weeks or even every 12, but I can't imagine that, at this point, because, again, I have extensive mets and have never been NED and never even seen my TM make it to the normal range yet, all these years (and I know TM is not the best indicator, but for ME it always has been very accurate, and when I was cancer free for many years, it was always in the normal range.) And yes, sadly, my experience has also been that if it is not an oncology issue they do absolutely nothing about it, not even a referral! I had a similar experience as you, neck pain, MRI, degenerative disc disease (DDD) no referral. I use a lot of heating packs to my neck at times, but I am on pain meds for the bone mets, so I guess in that respect I'm lucky? Anyway, praying you get some help! You may just have to assert yourself and ask for a referral or get the results to your PCP and go from there. Oh, also, it's just my theory, but I firmly believe that the meds they put us on for the cancer cause wide-spread inflammation and increase in inflammatory markers in the blood and therefore things (like DDD) that normally we could tolerate become much worse and intolerable, but no MO is going to acknowledge that, most likely, so no sympathy from them. I think the meds just make every inflammatory condition in the body that would normally be minor, be exacerbated. Again, just my theory.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,030
    edited December 2018

Candy-I go in every month for blood work and an Xgeva shot but only see my MO every three months. In the beginning I saw her every month but once I got relatively she suggested we switch to quarterly appointments. I see her a week after my quarterly CT and bone scans. It works for me and I also know that if anything seems wrong I am to contact her office immediately. As time as gone by, she suggested spacing out the scans and appointment even further-to every four months but I wasn't comfortable with that. It seems odd to me that your MO is not giving you a referral of some sort for the bone pain since it does not seem to be cancer related.

Welcome Novagirl!

I add my prayers for all of us, that a cure for cancer is found in our lifetimes and that in the meantime we enjoy a good quality of life. Thanks to all of you for your inspiration.

• MuddlingThrough
    MuddlingThrough Member Posts: 655
    edited December 2018

Candy, I go every month for blood work and xgeva, but I only see the oncologist every other month. This was true even at the beginning when I felt worse than terrible. So far, I've had bone scans and CT's every three months. If I continue doing "well", I hope we'll scan less frequently and he already said that after a year, he would want me to have Xgeva less often, perhaps every three months.

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited December 2018

A repeat for those who don't know me!!!

I began this drug in April of this year after being diagnosed stage 4 mets to lungs from rt breast had mastectomy 2008 .

PET also in April showed nodule biopsy showed TNBC..that mastectomy May 1.

Subsequent lymphedema in left arm month and half after surgery..I will never forget my MO patting me on the back..as she said "soon Sharlene you will be seeing me only once a month."..And I now am and have been since July complete with blood work each month..She is so efficient even to point of addressing my dentist to double check blood counts prior to certain procedures..

Merry Everyday to you all!

• time-for-a-cure
    time-for-a-cure Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2018

Candy and all, I see my onc or his NP every month, or every other month, depending on how I am doing. Since I work at the Cancer Center, it is easy for me to 'drop in' if I have concerns. When I have non-cancer stuff I see my primary doctor. She is excellent at keeping up with my progress, and to me is in invaluable. I see her every six months. As much as I love my onc team, i enjoy her more holistic and comprehensive approach to my health. I encourage all of you to keep your primary doc iinvolved. It can be invaluable! Happy New year to all!! Kitty.

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited December 2018

time-for- a-cure..and all!!!

Another positive for me .. my primary care doctor.. and my husband's..is my 2nd cousin and she and my oncologist are best friends!

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited December 2018

Lakewoman, how lovely that there are such close connections among your docs! Sure to result in focusing better attention on your and your concerns!

Candy, I have always seen my primary onc every 3 mo and his nurse practitioner monthly for bloodwork and Faslodex and/or Xgeva shots. He has told me that if I have concerns/problems or progression, I would see him immediately. Has your calcium been checked? When mine spiked up in November (unknown to me) and I developed hypercalcemia (which put me in the hospital for 5 days), I felt very unwell and nauseous. I know that you're not nauseous, but do check on the calcium levels, just in case. If high, you need to see them asap.

Update on visit to Memorial Sloan Kettering: Those who like details can continue; those who want to cut to the chase can read the first two paragraphs and move on.

We returned from NYC yesterday, sobered. We both really liked Dr. Rachel Sanford. She was kind, concerned, and thorough and gave me much time and consideration. She had clearly studied my history and my scans and reports, and she started by asking me probing questions about general history of my disease and treatments and my thoughts and feelings, both physical and emotional.

In the end, she confirmed (while noting that I have "very good doctors" at home) that I have had progression with extensive active disease in my hips (I had rather hoped she was say that it was all a big mistake), shown on the MRI in Dec but not on the PET in October. A mystery as to why the PET didn't catch it. Ibrance/Faslodex has failed, and a new treatment has to be selected. She recommended some radiation in my hips for pain (I've been using a cane on and off since late November) and said that the radiation should make it possible for me be able to be back on the boat this coming season. My onc is Richmond has recommended that I move to AA, and this second opinion was to determine whether that was the best course for my next treatment.

Dr. Sanford agreed that that AA was a viable next step but suggested a somewhat of a preference for going onto Xeloda and then, if either I couldn't tolerate the Xeloda, or if it is successful but I'd prefer to try something else after things stabilize, I could go to the AA or perhaps to Verzenio (yes, Janet, with its attendant bottle of Imodium). She did say that it was important with Verzenio to be very aggressive in treating/being prepared for the diarrhea rather than waiting and addressing it after the fact. I've been reading about Xeloda on that string and its attendant hand and foot syndrome. Does anyone know how many on that regimen are typically affected by that, or it is generally everyone on Xeloda?

Somehow, I hadn't realized that BC in the bone and BC in the bone marrow are not the same. I assumed that if you had the former, you also had the latter. I appear to have extensive BC in the bone marrow, and I think that this is the source of Dr. Sanford's more aggressive(??) recommendation of starting with Xeloda. I asked her if you could die of mets only in the bone, and she said gently that you could die of mets only in the bone marrow. It is amazing to me how ignorant I can be after doing so much reading.

Anyway....that's where I am. I am not currently on treatment and need to get going. Dr. Sanford also suggested another PET to confirm whether a new one "sees" the active disease in the hip, and if it does not, we would confirm that PETs don't work for my cancer and that MRIs (and perhaps bone biopsies) will be my test of choice for future monitoring. A new PET may or may not be approved; waiting to hear on that. I have an appt with my Richmond onc on 1/3, and Afinitor has been approved by my insurance. And by the way, I thought that nothing was expensive like Ibrance and hadn't even considered cost....holy cow on Afinitor!!!!

I'll check back in to let you all know where this goes and to keep in touch. Janet, I hear you and know that I cannot hide! I feel like the new kid in school, thinking about starting on a new string. "I don't KNOW those people, Mommy"...though there are a lot of familiar names in the postings.

Back in touch and hugs to all....

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2018

Lynn...Thanks for the update. I'm sorry that it wasn't what you wanted to hear, but at least you know now that you have to take the next step. Like I had mentioned before, I had extensive bone marrow mets which is why I had a total of 15 taxol infusions. After my oncologist did a bone marrow biopsy, he started me on Taxol immediately. When he called me with the results, my heart dropped to my stomach thinking of having to go back to chemo infusions. I don't know if that might be an option for you, but it did work for me. I wish you the very best whatever your next journey might be...you will be in my thoughts and prayers always.

Hope .

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited December 2018

Joyner. Glad and sad to read your post. If you do start AA, we will be on the same thread and know each other.

I had my BX yesterday and the IR was able to see the lesions with ultrasound. I was so relieved when I asked if he saw it and he said yes. As I was drifting off to propofal sleep I said I'm happy happy happy. Made them laugh. I don't remember it, of course.

I got special treatment, VIP status. It pays to advertise for your IR on U tube and he put my video on his website. He introduced me to the nurses by saying this lady is famous, I laughed and said yes I'm a celebrity. Lol. He's the same one who did my y90and the one I talked about in my video during the SMGlobal Catwalk and Say Yes to Hope.

I won't have my pathology for a week or two. Of course genomic testing to Caris will take two months. AND, I still have to start AA on Monday. But, if my hormone receptor studies come back changed, I might be able to start on a TX that will be more effective for my cancer.

Joyner I don't know much about Xeloda in regard to bone marrow mets. I do know it works well on liver mets. The liver mets ladies have all sorts of remedies for the hand, foot SE. Even though neither of us got information that changes the fact that we have progression, we both took the next step to get the most information possible to treat our MBC in the most effective way. 💞

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,530
    edited December 2018

Good morning Joyner and Grannax

A very sobering morning for me too. Reading your two posts made me wake up quickly. I’m happy there are second opinions and choices. Thanks for revealing that there is a difference between bone Mets and bone marrow Mets.

I’m happy there are more treatment options but was hopeful and prayerful that the Pet scans and MRIs were wrong.

I think ibrance dance has kept me focused on minimal side effects and not future progression. I have read about some using ibrance for longer times than others but I saw that the average time was 27.9 months.

I’m grateful for this time and am praying for more Joyner boat videos and Grannax modeling photo shoots.

I hope somehow we can stay in touch.

Take care all

Tanya

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited December 2018

Lynn, I am sorry that you didn’t get more positive news in NY, but at least you should feel more confident about your current situation. I never post here anymore since I have been off Ibrance for a while now. I do read the posts here often because there is always such warmth, comfort, humor, and support here. You mentioned that you wondered if everyone suffers from HFS while on Xeloda. I am happy to tell you that the answer is no. I am on my 7th cycle of Xeloda, 7 days on/7 days off. I have not experienced any pain, burning, redness, or cracking. My oncologist told me that if I ever do experience HFS, he will lower my dose so I will have relief. I also know several other people who have not experienced HFS while on xeloda including one who took it for several years. Others who have had HFS have seen the symptoms improve after a dose reduction.I do apply Udderly Smooth body lotion twice a day to my hands and feet. I also have bone marrow Mets, and I am feeling improvement in symptoms. My anemia has improved, and I am no longer completely exhausted and out of breath. Let never know if you have specific questions, and I will answer them if I can. I hope to stay on xeloda for a long time.

Grannax, it is great that your IR was able to get samples for the biopsy. I hope the results give you a clearer picture about the best treatment options for you.

I everyone on this thread. Have a happy New Year.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• candy-678
    edited December 2018

Thanks to all who posted about my concerns.  So it sounds like monthly lab tests are the norm, office visits with MO can vary from monthly, to quarterly, to every 6 months.  And scans are usually every 3 months, with some every 4 months, and some every 6 months.  For me, I am going to INSIST on keeping the monthly lab tests and every 3 month CT scans. I get my Lupron injection and my port flushed monthly by the nurse and my Xgeva is now every 3 months given by the nurse.     If the MO insists on changing office visits to quarterly, I guess I will reluctantly agree. Though I still don't understand the reasoning of changing to quarterly--the insurance pays the MO for each visit so the MO is not out money.    

PatgMc-  Your daughter and granddaughter are beautiful!!!  And wonderful they volunteer in a homeless shelter. Sounds like you raised them right!!  I have read books from Max Lucado, but not the one you mentioned. I will look it up.  

Joyner-  My calcium levels have always been ok.  I get my monthly labs next week and I think the calcium will be ok.  The sick/unwell feeling is not new, it has been going on all along.I hope the radiation will help your pain.  So have you made the decision yet what will be your next treatment?  You said the New York docs' choice was Xeloda, but you mentioned your insurance accepting Afinitor.   I also wondered about the difference of bone mets and bone marrow mets.  How does one find out they have bone marrow mets?? The bone mets shows on scans, how about the marrow??  And I always thought the ones with bone only mets would also eventually succumb to the cancer. It is because it went to the marrow?? So much to learn and understand.

Grannax-  You deserve "special VIP treatment".    Praying for you as you start your new treatment Monday.

Marynp-  I try to keep my PCP in the loop.  I see him every 3 months ( at his insistence, not mine ).   After I talked with the nurse from the onc office on the phone Wednesday and the nurse reported the MRI results to me with no recommendations I messaged my PCP on the patient portal.  My PCP's nurse called me yesterday ( Thurs ) with orders from the doc to start Prednisone and Gabapentin, and he may want me to see an orthopedic doctor.  I declined the meds since the acute neck pain is not as severe as it was and I hate adding even MORE meds with the accompanying side effects to everything else.  Now I wish I would have called him first, when the pain was at its worst.  He would have helped me more than the onc did.  But my mind immediately went to the cancer and I thought the pain was because of it.  

I just don't feel I can trust my own body.  Before I knew I had cancer, I worked a full-time job that was demanding physically and mentally.  I volunteered to work extra.  I was active in my home life. I didn't feel bad. My weight was stable, appetite good, and lab tests always normal.   I found the lump in the breast and then we found the mets--liver lesion as large as a baseball. BUT NO SYMPTOMS.    Now the cancer is "stable" but I feel yucky.  So I feel I cannot trust myself to just let the MO know if I am having a problem and need to be seen sooner than scheduled.

Sorry for the long post. Love ya all.

• LaurenH
    LaurenH Member Posts: 382
    edited December 2018

Joyner and Grannax - thank you both for posting updates - I’ve bren praying for both of you. Progression is crummy, but having a plan you feel good about is a great step forward. I will have to join new threads to keep up with you two! I have no doubt you will both be back to a stable status in no time.

Grannax - I love that you drifted off saying you are happy happy happy! And you are both celebrities in my book!

Love to all,

Lauren

• Grannax2
    Grannax2 Member Posts: 2,387
    edited December 2018

I had a lot of people cheering for me on this thread. Thank you Lauren H, Candy, 50's, Tanya and Joyner. Yes, I am planning on being in NYC on February 16 to keep my celebrity status. Lol. Afinitor is NOT allowed to give me any SE that would keep me from going to my next modeling gig. Hahaha💞

• PatgMc
    edited December 2018

Joyner, Grannax and Candy, I'm glad you're advocating for yourselves and I pray that each change makes a big difference in the quality of your lives. I'll be praying.