Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited April 2019

Thanks Ciaci! I will find out which one I am taking. Interesting that it can be something as slight as the brand...I will look into it!

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited April 2019

It took me a while to find the brand on the bottle. So much tiny print. If anyone else is having a problem, there it is: "accord." Yay.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited April 2019

Thanks Jaycee the visual helps! I am in my office right now so I don't have the bottle in front of me. I do know that my bottle does look quite different. I am on BXBS Keystone First insurance program called the Breast and Cervical Cancer Prevention and Treatment (BCCPT) Program. There are no MA income or resource limits for the BCCPT category. I would imagine that everything I receive is generic?? Who knows! I will take a look tonight when I get home from work :)

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited April 2019

When I was on letrozole and mentioned varying side effects, my pharmacist told me he never knew which company their generic would come from. We forget that a variety of binders and such are used along with the active drug.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited April 2019

When I was on Arimidex, the only brand I could tolerate was from Teva. Walgreen’s could get it, and I had to specify I wanted that only. Most pharmacies can get specific mfg, you just have to be a PITA.

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited April 2019

I’m adding this to my list of questions when I see my MO on Monday!! I’m usually pretty relaxed there these days - and have maybe one question...but this time I have a long list building ul

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited April 2019

another question for the gang!

Does anyone get B12 shots?

• Hollyli1202
    Hollyli1202 Member Posts: 122
    edited April 2019

Hello -

I have been lurking in BCO, but never quite registered to post. My first diagnosis was On 1/13/12 (Friday the 13th) with IDC stage 3 c ER+ HER2- in my left breast. Had AC and Taxol followed by double mastectomy and radiation. Lymph node involvement under arm and one supraclavicular node. Was out on tamoxifen for 3 years, followed by exemestane and another AI (starts with an A) due to the fact my new insurance didn't cover exemestane. Fast forward to Feb and I noticed a vein on my neck bulging out. Went PCP and then to MO. A CT, biopsy and PET scan later, my BC is back. I have a mass about an inch by 3/4 by 1/2 inch in my supraclav area blocking the brachial vein and IJ vein on my left side. The tumor is infiltrating the upper mediastinal area. I have a couple of internal mammary nodes glowing, small ap window and a right supraclavicular node. I have been put on Ibrance and faslodex. So here I am dancing with you. I started faslodex on 3/20 and Ibrance 3/22. My first lab results have my ANC at 1.2. Meet with MO 4/17. I wonder if I will stay on 125 or be lowered to 100. So far, I am not feeling any horrid side effects. I do take the pills at night so I sleep through most SE. Oh, I am also on bi-annual zometa for 3 years due to bone density issues. I have 3 more to go.

I can't remember who asked, but currently, the whole oncology department is On one floor. I check in, get labs, see the MO and get infusions on the same floor. There are a few private rooms, but most of the infusion area is open with curtains. Next month the onco department moved to a new building check in is on floor 1, labs (Not sure), doctor office floor 9, infusion on floor 11. Not sure how it is going to work... We shall see.

After reading all the posts, this group seems really great. Cure-ious love your research info, Patgmc, your humor is infectious. Hello to everyone else!

• 42young
    42young Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2019

Thank you all. I tried the baking soda & salt, hope it will help.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502
    edited April 2019

Welcome, Hollyli1202! We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we hope you find this community to be a place of support as you continue with your treatment. We're glad to hear your experience on Ibrance has been tolerable, and hope it continues this way! We look forward to seeing you on the boards, thank you for sharing with us!

The Mods

• PatgMc
    edited April 2019

Welcome, Holly! Your capsules are already at work and I can hear those cancer cells shrinking! Don't fret too much about staying on the 125mg. My doctor has never even prescribed that....starts everyone on 100mg. Imagine us catching you by the hands and dancing down the road to NEAD! We'll all look forward to hearing your future good news!

Love from PatGMc

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited April 2019

hi Jaycee - this is the one I have...any one know if this is genetic or not? Thank you!!

welcome Holly!!! Sounds like you have a good team in place for you :)

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited April 2019

IChangedMyName, that's the Apotex company's version of the generic drug, Letrozole. The brand name for letrozole is Femara. I've never had the Apotex version, but chemically, the generic versions have the same medicine; as PatgMc said, the binders and fillers can be different. When I first started here (two years ago), I found a site that listed the various brands and their reported side effects; of course I can't find it now!

You can ask to have a different brand, but some pharmacies can only buy from certain manufacturers - when my husband and I owned a pharmacy, we were part of a buying group, and could only get the brands they had deals with. They did have a minimum of three generic houses to buy from at any given time, and for some drugs, they had a lot more, so it's worth asking!

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited April 2019

One added note - I don't know if the Sandoz brand of Letrozole is available to anyone (my pharmacy can't get it), but Sandoz is owned by Novartis (the maker of Femara), so it is exactly the same drug as the brand name one (fillers, binders, dyes, etc).

• LoveFromPhilly
    edited April 2019

ciaci thank you so much!!!

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited April 2019

Morning all.  Welcome Holly.  Not much to add right now.  Off work for the weekend.  Not much planned, but walking on that treadmill and visiting with you all.  Still waiting on insurance approval for my 3 month CT.  I don't know what company my Letrozole comes from--my pharmacy puts the tablets in their bottle with a label they print with my name, my docs name, and the name of the med.  The Ibrance comes in the original bottle from the company.  Has anyone heard from Jaylea?? I hope she is doing ok.  

• kelq
    kelq Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2019

Gumdoctor - I was headed for dental implants prior to diagnosis in January. Obviously going to discuss this with my MO, but do you think it's out of the question? I have always had bad teeth - already have several teeth replaced with implants. I took a second dental insurance plan and everything to replace a few back teeth this year. If I'm going to be around a few more years, I need a good smile!

• Gumdoctor
    Gumdoctor Member Posts: 618
    edited April 2019

KelQ - Dental implant placement is considered "invasive." If you are on bone strengtheners, it would significantly increase risk of ONJ. I too already have dental implants from pre-cancer days. Also I had 3 placed and 2 failed. One was re-done. Alot of patients do not realize implants can have early and late failure. They are not the panacea advertisers and some dentists paint them...if a person had one fail, it can be quite an ordeal to take it out...think invasive on steroids...

If I were treating someone in our situation, I would advise against getting more placed. Too risky. But as I posted somehwere, I am a low-risk taker. There are probably some providers out there who would do it for you.

If I were personally faced with the choice of getting another dental implant, I would not do it.

These are only my thoughts and posted only to give you things to consider. Each one of us has to address our own situation and make the most informed, best choice we can and go from there.

Best Wishes to you...Gumdoctor

• Seaway
    Seaway Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2019

Holly; Welcome. I too had stage 3c with the supraclavicular node tumour. I was told it was inoperable (2005) so they blasted the hell out of it with radiation. I still have burn scars and other effects lol but so far so good. The only difference between us was I was her2+ at that time which made them fear the traveling those tumours enjoy. I don't know if you had radiation or if they would consider it now but I find Ibrance has been very effective for my mets to the lungs. Keep up informed of how you're doing and I will be watching for your posts.

KelQ; I too have tooth problems to address and need a back tooth removed and was thinking of having an implant. I am not taking any medication for bones right now so am hoping there will not be any issues. I guess I'd better call the onc first tho.

Love to all,

Cathy

• kelq
    edited April 2019

Thanks for your input, Gumdoctor! I don't have bone mets or any bone issues (lymph node metastasis only), but with that being said I don't want to have to be off ibrance or put any added stress on my body. Cathy, check with your doctor as well. If you do decide to do implants, you may have to stop taking meds (due to neutropenia) and be on antibiotic prophylaxis, etc. I didn't think much of this until my MO said I couldn't even go to the dentist for a cleaning without being "cleared". Makes sense that unleashing all of the bacteria in your mouth while counts are steadily decreasing each month could result in a disaster.

• Penny-78
    Penny-78 Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2019

When I got sick my twins had just started high school. My collapse later that fall was sudden and dramatic, and I was slammed with this diagnosis just a few months into their freshman year. I was terrified for their future, and mourned all of the moments that I believed I would miss with them -- all of the milestones and turning points. Those were the saddest and most frightening weeks of my life (and my DH's too).

And now? I just began my 30th cycle! I met with my MO on Thursday to go over my scans -- and all remains clear! My side effects continue to be mostly sporadic and seldom more than annoying (except for the fatigue which is my constant companion).

I posted above a few days ago about how optimistic my MO is about all of the research that we've been discussing here on this board. It was a very hopeful conversation about what the future can bring to all of us!

So I want to thank all of my dear friends here for their constant support and encouragement. What would I have done without you?

And most of all, I want to let the newbies who I see have recently joined this board share in my hope and be reassured that it *can* get easier and much less scary.

P.S. Next week my DH and I are starting college tours with our twins! Who'd a thunk it? :-)

• PatgMc
    edited April 2019

Penny, I'm so glad I popped on here this evening so I could celebrate with you and your husband! I can't imagine how terrifying and sad it must have been to get that kind of news with children so young.

I have friends whose children were as young as two years old when they were told they would live only a few more years. One of my friends got that news while she was pregnant. I delight in getting messages from those friends about graduations, weddings and grandchildren!

I look forward to seeing all the milestones your children meet as you watch proudly.

For all of you raising children while overcoming MBC, I celebrate the great lessons in courage you're giving them. What a gift!

Love from PatGMc

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited April 2019
    Patg you say it so much better that I......so ditto to what you just said.
  • time-for-a-cure
    time-for-a-cure Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2019

hello everyone! Spending the day packing for my upcoming river cruise on the Elbe River from Prague to Berlin. Then off to Erfurt to meet up with at good friend. Very exciting. Will be off my Ibrance while traveling, am doing daily Airbourne until I leave then zinc lozenges on the flight. Can't wait. The whole trip will be 2 and a half weeks. I can't remember the last time I took this long of a vacation. Wishing everyone great scans and limited SEs while I am gone

Kitty

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,585
    edited April 2019

Hope your vacation goes well, cure!

Sheesh, the Ibrance paraphenalia! I guess that’s why I roll my eyes. All the money they spend on the glossy literature and other stuff Pfiser distributes with the name brand on it plus the commercials they ai. Makes me think they could lower the price of the drug if they cut their advertising costs. I got another big envelope in the mail from them containing a folder filled with more literature. Looked very important. While I read the first stuff they sent, this one went right in the trash. I get it, I get it. Take Ibrance with food. Take three weeks then don’t take for one week. Don’t eat these certain foods. Contact us with questions. Okay, okay.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,585
    edited April 2019

Btw, I had a terrible day the other day. Listless, overly tired, napped all day, no incentive to do anything, wondered if I’d fallen into depression. Came to realize these were effects of the anti-nausea meds the pharmacist prescribed that I took that day! Compazine. Did not take it the next day and I was basically back to being myself! Boy was I relieved that it wasn’t the Ibrance. Won’t be using Compazine again! Its wonderful to have the internet to look up side effects of the different meds.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited April 2019

Couldn’t sleep last night, so decided to look at se. HAIR LOSS?? Please, somebody tell me no!!My hair never fully came back after a/c. I have some, you can see scalp. It’s too stinkin hot here most of the year for wigs. I’m practically in tears just typing this. Say it ain’t so. 😥😥

• kelq
    edited April 2019

DivineMrsM, try zofran - works fast without all of the side effects!

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited April 2019

Spookie- Yes one of the side effects of Ibrance is hair loss/thinning.  As with all of the listed side effects, some experience it and some don't . I have never had mouth sores, but some post on here they do from time to time.  Some have nausea, some diarrhea.  We are all different.  Maybe the hair won't be affected for you.  I lost all my hair with the A/C chemo I had at first (thought Stage 2 at first and started IV chemo).  It grew back in thick and curly.  Over the last 5 months (1 year into the Ibrance) my hair has gotten considerably thinner---about 50% loss.  Sigh.  I don't think I am going to lose it all again, but it is noticeably thinner.  I have my hair dresser cut it in such a way that we can mask some of the loss---layers---but Yes people notice the thinness.  Sorry.  Ibrance is a great drug and I am happy we have it, but there are side effects.

• Daniel86
    Daniel86 Member Posts: 207
    edited April 2019

Gumdoctor,

I have been wondering for a bit. My wife suffers from random episodes of TMJ. Could that make her more prone to ONJ or the two are completely unrelated factors?