Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited September 2019

Hi Danbee, Welcome to this group. Ibrance SEs seem to change from month to month. The only SEe that seem to occur on a regular basis for me is fatigue and mouth sores.

Hi Nicole,

You could also try tropical anesthetic gel. It is what dentist use to numb your gums. I got That at the pharmacy. That will help with the pain. I rinse my mouth with hydrogen\water mix which seems to help the sores heal.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,568
    edited September 2019

Nicole, it's always so frustrating when the holiday bungles everything up. But it sounds like you will be getting some relief soon, lots of good suggestions here, something is bound to help.

Jaycee, hahahahaha! I've never used the phrase “slutty second wife" but I will tell you something else I said to dh. Several older men in town who became widowers quickly found new wives, and each was heard bragging about the sex they were having—in a small town this kind of gossip travels fast. So I told dh, “Look, go out and get a new woman when I'm gone but don't go around discussing the sex you're having. That is so gross. No one wants to hear an old guy talking about that!”

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited September 2019

ok ladies I got it but this is not a mouth wash..its a thick solution that it says to apply onto the sores..is this what you all got??? Personally to me this is working like orajel except it 60.00...

• nicolerod
    edited September 2019

Snooky thanks but I did all those things. I cannot do salt water or baking soda rinses they made my mouth raw and worse.

Pat I got some yogurt I didn't get plain because I am afraid to have pineapple because of the citric acid so the one I got chobani it does have sugar :( but in any event that (the sugar) is my least concern right now.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,327
    edited September 2019

NicoleRod, I eat Chobani every day and my mouth sores seem to stay away. I don't like yogurt so the little bit of sugar helps me. I have no problem with the sugar part but then I don't shy away from sugar--just am careful.

My DH and I have not discussed any "remarriage" so I have no input here. He prefers our discussions to be about how much life we have now that he is retired. I am praying I make it to 50 years marriage (I am on year 47) so that means he is not young. Several of his friends have lost wives and remarried within the past 10 years. Has anyone else noticed more wives dying first than husbands? Are widow numbers dwindling or is it just because I know so many with BC? Makes me wonder...

As a side note, my hair is growing back in thicker now and my nails are slightly improving. I am wondering if it has anything to do with how long I have been on these drugs? Is my body learning to cope? Yes, I am in a thinking mood. Happy

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 497
    edited September 2019

RE indigestion.

I just took 1 a day of the digestive enzymes from 21st Century. Max daily dose is 1. Worked better than the prilosec.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2019

I've been getting mouth sores and/or mucositis consistently the last 3-4 months. My MO lowered my Ibrance dose from 125mg to 100mg this month to see if that helps. So far it hasn't (2nd week in). I do have Magic Mouthwash (the pink stuff you swish and spit) on hand but that doesn't always seem to work. If I use a baking soda rinse in between, that seems to work better.

As an aside, I have a question about CA 27-29. Mine has been slowly creeping up while still remaining in the 'normal' level. This last test it jumped 7 points in 2 months while before it was always just a point or two. I do have a lot of inflammation from the radiated bone lesion, sciatica and arthritis. Could it be from that or does it mean that the cancer is on the move? Always something to worry about, isn't there?

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited September 2019

Thanks, Gailmary, I ordered it!

About remarriage: We once had a widower coming to the Flying Colors Center. He made us laugh so hard one day when he told the story of all the women who were after him in his small town. Soon after his wife died he was receiving so many hand-delivered-by-females casseroles that he had to install a chain across the road leading into his farm to stop them from coming to the door! I told my husband I've bragged on him so much through the years he'll have to do the same thing. (He hates casseroles)!

Love from PatGMc

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited September 2019

potentially Important article alert!

Now, Harvard Medical School researchers based in the Laboratory of Systems Pharmacology at the Blavatnik Institute and the Massachusetts General Hospital have carried out the first head-to-head comparison of the three currently approved CDK4/6 inhibitors in breast cancer cell lines and animals.

Their findings, published Aug. 15 in Cell Chemical Biology, reveal significant and thus far poorly understood differences in biological activity among members of a drug class designated as breakthrough therapies by the FDA. One inhibitor in particular—abemaciclib—exhibited unique and potentially advantageous therapeutic activity that could help inform the design of better treatment strategies, including optimized combination therapies and circumventing drug resistance, the authors said.

Whether by accident or design, abemaciclib appears to have hit a sweet spot where it is more efficacious in some regards than the other CDK4/6 inhibitors, but potentially less toxic than earlier pan-CDK inhibitors," said study co-author Kartik Subramanian, HMS postdoctoral fellow in the Laboratory of Systems Pharmacology.

Based on these results, the authors suggest that abemaciclib may have additional therapeutic benefits for a subset of tumors that remain unresponsive to treatment or have grown resistant to other CDK4/6 inhibitors. They cite a case study in which a patient's metastatic tumor reappeared after she developed resistance to palbociclib. She was switched onto abemaciclib, resulting in a notable decrease in tumor size, and continued to be successfully treated with the drug.

Here’s the link to the full article: https://m.medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-comparison-similar-frontline-breast-cancer.html?fbclid=IwAR0pcLNK0H8WF15Sfu1zIzPBJ2PACbgQdRmhtG9Fa148ONIG19zzbUtBUO0

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2019

That's great news! Thanks for posting Jen!

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 497
    edited September 2019

Re digestive enzymes. I just remembered. That when I started them I was taking Nexium and I quit it cold turkey. It is usually suggested to taper off those antacids very slowly. I guess you have to decide for yourself cause no doctor will advise you. I hope you all have luck with it and are sure to let us all know here how it works for you.

GAILMARY

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,856
    edited September 2019

Thanks, Jen!! It was recently reported that Abemaciclib can also inhibit CDK2, which is often increased in cells that have figured out a way to grow without CDK4 or CDK6. So now there is a race to develop CDK2 inhibitors. Pfizer has a powerful CDK2,4,6 triple inhibitor, but as we learned from Frisky, they first need to find a dose where the drug can be tolerated, before they can prove that the drug works. Pfizer did get Ibrance through clinical trials and FDA-approved and to market lickety-split, so if that drug is any good there is hope they are able to move it quickly. For now, Abemaciclib and Faslodex seems like a good next thing after I-F, unless the cancer has developed an Rb mutation, in which case it won't respond to any CDK4,6 inhibitor..

• cure-ious
    edited September 2019

GailMary- Thanks for the info, I will be trying it! I was on Prilosec for a couple years and it definitely works, however I went off after reading that neutralizing the acidity of the stomach makes digestion less efficient such that over time it can makes the whole system more you become more dependent on the Prilosec- for some reason, I noticed that quite a few clinical trials exclude the use of Prilosec or similar drugs, so I would like to find some kind of alternative and get myself off these drugs.

I will try the digestive enzymes, alone or with some Gaviscon or Tums or dilute apple cider vinegar, see if I can find a combination that works. Apparently licorice and ginger are also helpful.

• cure-ious
    edited September 2019

Ha, Pat!!! Your husband should not be checking out possible future wives any time soon, you aren't going anywhere!!!

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited September 2019

It seems like the men always get remarried. I also told my husband that any new wife better not mess with the inheritance. Julie yip said her will was iron-clad so that a new wife couldn't get the money that was allotted for the kids, but, I don't know the legality of how you do that. I've heard a lot of sad stories about second wives. I worry that anyone with a little estrogen on board is going to amaze my DH when I am gone.

My neighbor's wife died in a scuba diving accident and he said that when he started dating again he was inundated with very lonely women. not sure if they all came bearing casseroles.

• PatgMc
    edited September 2019

jensgotthis, that's a good news and bad news article for me since Verzenio is the inhibitor that causes diarrhea. WTMI Alert: I have hemorrhoids and diarrhea can make a person with those miserable. Oh well, if they can find something to stop MBC, surely there's a miracle cure for diarrhea coming! (Ha! I don't think I've ever used diarrhea three times in one paragraph!)

Cure-ious, if the ladies found out he now cleans house (sort of) and cooks (sort of), they may try to do me in early. I'm not teaching him to do laundry or I'm a goner for sure!

Love from PatGMc (Oh and Roll Tide, everybody!)

• 42young
    42young Member Posts: 126
    edited September 2019

Good morning everyone!!

I had 3 months PET/CT scan result: stable, no uptake any anywhere except for:

"Minimally prominent medial right axillary node shows trace focal activity (max SUV 1.0)"

"Regions of bilateral supraclavicular & left mediastinal brown fat uptake"

Have not seen MO yet. Will see her tomorrow, so not sure if anything should be worried

Hugs

• nicolerod
    edited September 2019

42young YAY for STABLE!!!!! So happy for you. Hoping the MO just confirms all is stable and good.

• PatgMc
    edited September 2019

42young, congratulations on being stable though I could never cozy up to a report that talks about fat uptake! (That's what I'm going to call this weight I've gained from Arimidex - fat uptake!)

"The presence of brown fat on FDG PET has the potential to lead to misinterpretation and unneeded invasive tests, which can be avoided by using measures such as ensuring the patient is warm, reducing FDG uptake in brown fat before the procedure, and correlating PET uptake to a specific anatomic location with PET/CT..."
    "Brown Fat. Often a pattern of multi-focal intense symmetric uptake along the neck, supraclavicular regions, mediastinum, and paraspinal regions can be seen, especially in children. The PET/CT fusion images localize this uptake to areas of fat, rather than to any other soft tissues."

My oncologist counts that small amount of SUV as nothing.

Celebrate your good news!

Love from PatGMc

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited September 2019

42young,

Congrats on your Good pet scan.

Nicole,

How are you doing today? Was the DOC able to help you?

• 42young
    42young Member Posts: 126
    edited September 2019

Thanks Nicole, Pat & Simone. I hope my MO will confirm the the good news tomorrow.

• airlinegal
    airlinegal Member Posts: 252
    edited September 2019
    42young.....great news
  • LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2019

Woooohooooo 42young!!!!!!

• nicolerod
    edited September 2019

Hi Simone, My mouth is still bad. I am right this very moment trying something that Pat linked me to on amazon..they are like little pills that stick to the sore and melt down and cover them like a patch. They are taking hours to melt down though..lol...The "mouthwash" the doc called in is not really like mouthwash ...it's more like a gel...lidocaine gel so I put it on the sore with a q tip but it wears off after like 5 minutes. I see my new MO Sept 10th..I am going to try and hold out until then...if I can. Thanks for thinking of me :)

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited September 2019

Good news 42 young and relief sighs.

Nicole I was given mugGard 8oz sample from my onc and my mouth sore beast healed in a few days felt better immediately. I rinsed with it held in mouth for one minute. I have been on Ibrance 100 for more than 2 years and this was the first painful monster mouth sore. I hope you’re feeling better. I see you’re in Quantico now. I used to live on Long Island years ago.

Jen thanks for sharing the article. Cureious thanks for interpreting it.

Pat and Jaycee and all who read the book you guys hadme laughing at the woman wanting us to die quicker so they can take our husbands. My dad calls them recycled whores.

• PatgMc
    edited September 2019

Nicole, you have a great big circle of friends around you praying that you get some relief.

I hope the slow-melting patches get the job done.

I remember when I was on big chemo putting that lidocaine stuff in a little medicine bottle and keeping it next to me. I just kept dipping my finger in, eliminating the middle man of the Q-tip. I think I was an addict by the time chemo was over!

Love from PatGMc

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited September 2019

NicoleRod, my dentist recommended GlyOxide for mouth sores. It really helps me. Maybe you could try that. It’s awful to deal with and to have to wait until you see your MO. Hope it helps.

Faith.

• nicolerod
    edited September 2019

AWWW thanks ladies.!!! I am going to have to ask the MO (my current MO) about that Mugard!

• cure-ious
    edited September 2019

SandiBeach- Hope you are OK there on the outer banks, evacuated or whatever and hanging on- hope you had time to pick up some of those Jalapeno M&M's to tide you over.. And hope the baby turtles are all OK too!!

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2019
    mouthsores are truly soooo uncomfortable!!! It’s like can’t eat, can’t sleep, hurts to talk. Bleh!!!

Maybe TMI but my throat was hurting over the weekend and I shined a flashlight to have a looksee and I had very swollen tonsils and a spot with pus on it in the back of my throat. I tried to reach it with a Q-tip and when I wiped away the pus, there was a little bleeding sore underneath:( dang it!!!

I hoped it wasn’t something about to turn into anything major. And it has calmed down now, two days later and throat feels better on its own, but yikes!

My MO says that the Ibrance causes irritation to the cells of the GI tract for sure, similarly to chemo, just not quite as bad. So they just told me to keep rinsing/gargling with the Magic Mouthwash if these sore throats happen.

NicoleRod hope you find relief from those painful sores ASAP!! Honestly nothing helped me until I got a hold of the Magic Mouthwash and it was like a lifesaver for me. And I was taking Advil and doing alllll the things that everyone suggested. There’s just a couple whoppers every now and again that need something serious to work!

Thinking of everyone! Hugs and love!!!