Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Myra1211
    Myra1211 Member Posts: 532
    edited August 2015

Sorry Deanna, no bloating at all. Myra

• Piemaker2
    Piemaker2 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2015

I am so sorry you must go through this.. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

I also feel bloated after 2 weeks and am putting on weight! My hair is definitely thinning and very brittle as are my nails. Does anyone know if it is ok to take Biotin supplements while on Ibrance

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394
    edited August 2015

Oh do not be treated in Hyannis. Perfectly good spot to have fish lures pulled from your fingers, but not for what ails all of us.

All my bowel issues have improved with each cycle. I found that dairy, even cheese, caused some bloating. Now? No problem now with cheese which is good since that it how I keep my calcium up. I don't do any non-fermented milk products.

*susan*

• theziz
    theziz Member Posts: 134
    edited August 2015

babs6287 im sorry to hear your situation, hang in there because there will be better days.

Cheers

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited August 2015

I'm trying to stay calm but this is really throwing me for a loop. I'm as achyascodbe. At the Providen amtrak station waiting for my train back toNY so I can be hospitalized there!

Babs

• susan_02143
    edited August 2015

Oh dear Babs. Wish I knew someone headed to NYC from there today, but all my Cape friends have rented their houses out this week and are flung about the Northeastern countryside. Safe travels.

*susan*

• lenn13ka
    lenn13ka Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2015

Monika - I have had to work a pretty intense outdoor job since cycle 3 ( plus my mom went into hospice and died cycle 1 and 2 ) .. Going into cycle 9... Have worked the whole way ,, just stay hydrated and be prepared for a few " hit the wall" days on week three. Just means you don't hAve that third or fourth wind you a can draw on ...I have had to accept that in this drug. It gets better each cycle

• susaninsf
    susaninsf Member Posts: 1,099
    edited August 2015

cjanet,

My WBC was down to 1.9. Went to see my Chinese medicine doctor a couple of days after that test and retested the next day. My WBC went up to 4.0! That's a big turnaround in just 4 days.

Hugs, Susan

• GDG
    GDG Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2015

yes....gassy, bloating and large hard BMs....never had that before....sorry if TMI....a very

slight case of diarrhea might be welcome..

Singing

• 3Holly
    3Holly Member Posts: 201
    edited August 2015

Babs, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well - the Cape is a great place to vacation, but no place like home if you are feeling sick, and I wouldn't want to be in a hospital down there - however, I heard the Jordan Hospital (Plymouth) is good (not far from the Cape). My family always goes into Boston if there's anything serious, though. Hope you are back in your own bed and resting comfortably soon.

Monika, good luck with school and I hope those kids take it easy on you.

Sunshine, hoping and praying for positive news for you and everyone.

Haven't really had gas, just heartburn/reflex - except with a certain type of root beer. Can't drink coca cola at all anymore, and can't drink tea. Maybe you just need to adjust your diet, it could be that something is reacting with the Ibrance.

Gearing up for early morning scans, will be glad when that is done!

• babs6287
    edited August 2015

Holly. Hoping the scans are good

I'm back from the Cape and am on my way to hospital now. It just never ends!

Babs

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited August 2015

Did someone mention taking Prilosec for Ibrance heartburn? If so, I thought I would share an article I was just reading tonight. I don't always agree with everything Dr. Mercola writes, but I do remember seeing this research recently because a friend of ours had actually had a heart attack shortly after being put on one of these PPI meds, and I'd sent that research to him. I know we're often put between a rock and a hard place when we need meds to counteract our SEs, but I thought this was worth knowing about. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive...

• Chattykat40
    Chattykat40 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2015

Interesting article dlb... I have a hiatal hernia so acid reflux is something I've always lived with... I take the over the counter Pepcid but have noticed an improvement in my acid reflux since I started the Ibrance. (weird) But, at the same time I have doubled my intake of water and have been trying to eat as healthy as possible. So, that could be why as well. My PET scan during hell month (yes, that's what I call it) during the diagnosis phase of my BC, also revealed that I have gall stones. Yay me... particularly since surgery is the last thing I need right now. So, I have significantly reduced any foods in my diet that might make that any worse and was told that a change in diet might help me rid myself of the gall stones naturally. But, haven't found any info anywhere that confirms that this is possible. So, if anyone finds any interesting info on that feel free to send it my way.

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited August 2015

Chattykat I also got a housekeeper about a year ago.  With my work schedule it was getting ridiculous to try to keep up with the house.  My husband resisted at first and said he could do it. His cleaning was unacceptable.  Am so happy to have her.  She comes two weeks on and one week of and will come if I'm having company.  My wood floors haven't looked this good since they were new.  I think we should treat ourselves and conserve our energy for what we really want/need to do.  The second best thing I've done to make my life easier is to order most of our food online.  In the NYC area we have Fresh Direct, but I'm sure there's something similar everywhere.

Babs so sorry about your infection.  I had a latisimus flap reconstruction in 1998 and in late 1999 got a staph infection.  Was at NY Presbyterian for three days getting vancomycin and I did have my implant taken out. The good news is that once the implant was out, the infection cleared up quickly and I did have a tram flap reconstrution done in early 2000 which has been good ever since.  I know its not something you want to deal with and hopefully your implant won't have to come out.  Praying for you. 

Sunshine hope the 75 works for you.  For your platelets you can take Ashwaghanda twice a day before meals.  It was recommended by my onc and I've never had an issue with low platelets.

Dorothy 

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

what did your doctor do to turn your counts around? I also hired a housekeeper every other week, it is so helpful! I am returning to work also tomorrow as a teacher of 6th graders, and am on cycle 1, day 17. I feel great just fatigued. My counts were low last week but not low enough to stop, and I will be checked again next wed. Hope this continues for all of us to be the answer! Good luck and good thoughts to all of you! Thank you for sharing, this site has been a tremendous help

• cjanet
    cjanet Member Posts: 288
    edited August 2015

Hmm Deanna, I've had no bloating but I do have constipation from my pain meds. Are you sure that isn't it? I do hope the Gas X helps you.

Babs, sorry you are sick.

I am in lots of pain as I mentioned on bone met thread and just trying to work. We have had help twice per week all summer through donations. It is now time to hire someone though as this woman has to go back to her regular family for the school year. Her last day is tomorrow. I have 2 young kids and DH is busy and we just can't keep up. I just can't cook at night. It's just too much for me. We order out a lot and people bring over donated food. I am in so so much pain I can barely imagine doing much at night without my pain meds.

I will start 100 mg Ibrance tomorrow. Lets see if that helps w pain and reduces these bone mets. I've been on Xgeva since May but still tons of pain. I admit I'm beginning to lose hope with this. I am making very short term plans at this point. I just don't trust what tomorrow will bring or if it will even come. Sorry to be such a downer.

• 3Holly
    edited August 2015

dlb823, Thank you for that Prilosec article, I heard about the heart attack risk on the news, and I have already switched to Zantac which is working fine now, although the first couple of weeks I think I needed to adjust to it. Sometimes I also take a couple of tums before bedtime along with the Zantac if needed.

Babs, glad to hear you are finally home and hopefully on the road to recovery.

CJanet, I hope you can get help with your pain soon, try not to give up hope, maybe the Ibrance will be the answer.

Don't want to deliver bad news, either, and it may not have anything to do with Ibrance, but my scans today showed blood clots on my lungs. I was halfway home and got a call to go back in and get a shot (have to do it twice a day forever now, I think). I have heard that blood clots on the lung can be a side effect of Ibrance (not common, though), but it is also a side effect of late stage metastatic breast cancer, so it could be either, not necessarily Ibrance. My liver spots were slightly larger since my last scan, so I am going off Ibrance (went 6 cycles on 125 mg). I will have to decide whether I want to do Xeloda or another chemo (meeting Thurs with onc).

I tolerated the Ibrance very well so I am very disappointed to be moving on, but I know the drug has been a great help for many others, so I wish all of you good luck and am hoping and praying you have great success.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited August 2015

For those of you who got mouth sores, how long did they last? I'm rinsing multiple times daily with warm salt water and using lidocaine viscous for pain (but it's SO temporary). On day 4 or 5 with the mouth sores. What am I looking at here? Days? Weeks?

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2015

Cristina and 3Holly--hugs for you both

• pearlady
    pearlady Member Posts: 390
    edited August 2015

Holly so sorry to hear this news, but really glad that they found the clots before they caused any further damage.  Strange that you had no side effect from the clots.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.  Please keep us posted on what treatment you and your onc decide on.  Praying for the best possible results from your new treatment.

Dorothy

• Piemaker2
    edited August 2015

I had them a week and used baking soda rather than salt... Seemed to work.

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited August 2015

so sorry to hear that, Holly! You are in my prayers.

• babs6287
    edited September 2015

Cristina-I'm hoping Ibrance offers you the relief you're looking for.

3 Holly-I'm glad they found the blood clots-at least now they can deal with that before you have an issue. Sorry Ibrance wasn't the answer for you!

I'm still in the hospital Dr's feel the cellulitis is a by product of the lymphedema and not a problem with my implant I hope they're right!!! I MIGHT get out tomorrow?!?! Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They're planning on keeping me on an anti-biotic for the rest of my life so, hopefully, I won't have any more bouts with this cellulitis. Hoping this works.

Babs

• susan_02143
    edited September 2015

Babs,

I do hope this all works out the way you want it to. Be well,

*susan*

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited September 2015

Don't mean to intrude but my mo is considering Ibrance since tamox has failed. I qualify for Medicare oct 1st. Does anyone have advice about part d? You can pm me.

Thanks for starting this thread. I've found it invaluable and gives me a great reference for discussion about my treatment.

• Florence2006
    Florence2006 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2015

Now I'm nervous about Ibrance. I had blood clots in my lung as a result of Tamoxifen that also showed up on a routine CT Scan. Had to do the shots for about 2 weeks. Really want to try Ibrance and have a break from chemotherapy. Have to decide tomorrow.

• 3Holly
    edited September 2015

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words of encouragement. I will let you know when I decide definitely what to do next - leaning toward Xeloda since I don't want the needles or hair loss (just getting used to the 2 needles a day now for the clots is enough for me), but I need more info on Xeloda versus Taxol (tolerated in 2008) or another chemo (Navelbine or another one was also mentioned, but Xeloda and Taxol were recommended by the 2 oncologists I consulted). Apparently the hormonals will not be an option since they aren't working for me.

Florence, sorry I made you nervous - Ibrance is a very tolerable drug, and I don't think blood clots are common, but ask your onc to be sure. I don't know whether the Ibrance caused the clots, but if it did, it is probably rare (again, though, ask your onc to be sure). I was also on tamoxifen for 5 years, and I know that blood clots are also a symptom of last stage metastatic cancer, so it may have nothing to do with the Ibrance and could just be effects of years of treatments since 2008. I hope you can do the Ibrance, it would be a nice break from chemo I am sure, as long as the doc thinks it won't cause more clots. Interesting that you did not have to stay on the shots after the clots dissolved - the nurse indicated that I will stay on the shots forever, but I haven't had the appointment with my onc yet, hope he has a different opinion!

• Florence2006
    Florence2006 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2015

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Holly. I see my oncologist in a few hours and will decide--chemo or Ibrance? Also, I am waiting for PfizerRxPathways to make their decision as to whether or not they will fund the $1,800 copay for me.

I had the "hand and foot syndrome" pretty bad with Xeloda, but I understand that not everyone experiences that. I could barely pick up a pen. My feet were still peeling weeks after I stopped. I even used booties and gloves infused with oil at night. Perhaps if they had reduced the dosage? Not sure. My oncologist says he has had women on Xeloda for over 5 years successfully.

• 3Holly
    edited September 2015

Florence, good luck with your appointment and treatment decision, and thank you for letting me know about Xeloda, very sorry it was so hard on you. I hope they will make Ibrance affordable for you since the common SE's are much easier than chemo.