Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 292
    edited March 2020

KBL: Thanks for posting your number which are very similar. My rbc is 2.94. Do you also have a low rbc? Gonna try to eat more iron rich foods. For awhile my wbc and anc were low, which are now fine. Going into cycle #7 at 150mg. Really no side effects except fatigue and insomnia. Then again I read the insomnia may be from the letrozole.

In any rate, I hope these whacky lab values settle down.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,904
    edited March 2020

Tinkerbell: My RBC is usually in the 2.5 to 2.9 range. My WBC is also always low, along with ANC. I had to drop to 75 mg almost immediately. I hover around .08 to 1.0 after my week off. They still let me start back up if I’m close. WBC is usually between 2.7 and 3.3.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited March 2020

DodgersGirl- The nadir (lowest point) of Ibrance is day 15 of your cycle of pills. And the highest point should be after your week off and before starting the next cycle. But I would say all that week 3 of pills you are low.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited March 2020

Candy-678: thank you!

So far, I haven’t been out of the house since Saturday, 3/7 because my numbers were so low on 3/5. And with Covid-19 everywhere I am not comfortable being around strangers.

My next MO appointment is in 2 weeks. I know the pandemic won’t be over by then but that is the week my numbers should be their highest, so that’s a good thjng

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited March 2020

Newbie here. How often is your blood checked?

Tina

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,323
    edited March 2020

Tina2, welcome to our group although I am sorry you have to be here. As far as blood work, I got tested every two weeks in the beginning until my MO was sure I could handle the medicine. Now I get labs during my week off to check my levels before I start my next cycle. I have been doing this for almost four years now. Praying you have a good run with this medicine. Chris

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited March 2020

Tina2 and DodgerGirl - My DR prefers to check blood towards the end of the days off. Is this true for other Ibrance users? WBC and RBC always rather low, but she says they are within range of someone taking Ibrance. I'm on Cycle 6, OFF Day 3. Blood check scheduled Tuesday next week. which will be OFF Day 6. For the most part, except for fatigue and irritated nasal, I feel good. Usually I can power through the fatigue, and take long walks. But the SEs vary for different people and affect some a lot more. I also take Arimidex (brand name) and a number of supplements. DR prefers I get vitamins, minerals etc through food as much as possible, and has not recommended anything as a "need". She is also a strong believer in the Mediterranean diet. I might eat meat 1-2 serv /wk, but probably eat a lot more dairy and eggs than I should

• perky2020
    perky2020 Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2020

hi Tina, I get mine checked each no when I get my faslodex shot and see my MO. She checks blood and tumor markers as they have been really reliable for me.

Love from Philly - oh my goodness, I am in a similar boat just not having to wait quite so long and I have been feeling agitated for how long I have had to wait! Tumor markers increased over last 3 mos but bone scan, ct and then MRI didn't show anything so we did a PET scan. Took the insurance co a week to approve the PET scan but hospital got me in 3 days later. Was supposed to get results the next day but MO didn't call and she left for vacation. Back week later and sent me a message that I have a small progression and she wants to stay with ibrance/faslodex and add xgeva. I am now waiting for insurance co to approve xgeva and plan to go in as soon as it is approved and have a more detailed conversation with MO. It does seem like should feel grateful for how quickly they are moving after I heard your story and I would also encourage you to get a second opinion in a hospital where they can work with you more timely. ❤❤❤

• blmike
    blmike Member Posts: 195
    edited March 2020

Tina2 - my wife's blood work is now done exactly how IntoLight described: at the end of the off week to verify the next cycle. Good luck!

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2020

Tina,

I am somewhat of the outlier here. Through a confluence of circumstances, my monthly blood check (and that's all I have had since starting -- monthly) now falls on the day after I have taken my last pill for the cycle.(That's also when I get my faslodex shots.) Some folks have cautioned me that that's not great timing, but the nadir (low point) of Ibrance is around day 15 of the cycle. (From the way that I feel, I'd say that my low point is probably closer to day 12 or so.) I asked my MO about changing my appointments around, but she's okay with doing it the day after I conclude my 21 days of pills. Only once in my now 8 cycles (currently in the 8th) was my ANC under 1, and that was right after I had a nasty stomach virus. We have just forged ahead.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2020

I always had my monthly blood draw on Day 15, but after a year of clear scans, we went to every three months, though still on Day 15 in cycle. Now, after 2 years of clear scans, I get blood drawn every six months, Apr & Oct, without regard to the day in cycle. I get my PET scan every six months as well, Jan & Jul. I know that would freak some people out, but I'm fine with it!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020

My blood is drawn every month at the start of a new cycle.

• imagine
    imagine Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2020

Hello Everyone, I hope You are all doing well during this mess. I am having some bad GI issues taking the IBrance. At first I thought it was because of taking Turmeric Supplements but I stopped and still having the diarrhea with terrible cramps and nausea, usually happens in the am and is about 2-3 times a week. Does anyone know if I can take a probiotic while taking Ibrance, I am on 100mg of Ibrance and Falsodex.

Thanks for any imput

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026
    edited March 2020

Hi Imagine-Sorry for your gastric distress. I think you can take a probiotic. I tend to eat Greek yoghurt every day to keep my gut healthy. Are you drinking lots and lots of water? I try to drink about 72 oz per day and that really helps with the digestive stuff. I've noticed that when I am in a situation where it is not convenient to drink so much water, I get nausea and other issues. Soft stool (not diarrhea) seems to be pretty common with Ibrance. Good luck as you figure this out.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited March 2020

Imagine,

I drink a small Activia probiotic drink every morning to help with all digestive issues. It seems to work pretty well -- however, I've experienced the opposite problem -- constipation -- and at least this enables me to go on a regular schedule. I told my MO about it and she was fine (of course, she didn't offer any alternatives....)

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited March 2020

I eat plain Greek yogurt daily with cherry juice concentrate. I also drink on occasion, kefir or kombucha. I am on Ibrance 100 mg.

Drinking lots of water helps, but fail miserably at this.

S

• intolight
    edited March 2020

Imagine, I eat Greek yogurt daily plus take a probiotic at my MO's recommendation. It helps but does not completely cure the gut issues. I am on 125mg. Yes, I drink water constantly.

• woodlands
    woodlands Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2020

Curious if anyone who has de novo Stage 4 Metastatic Breast Cancer in the bones has been on Ibrance for awhile. I wanted to see how effective the treatment has been and what you have seen from the new bone scans. I just started on March 12th, and have not had any bad side effects.

• intolight
    edited March 2020

Woodlands, I was dxd de novo Stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer in the bones and liver and have been on Ibrance 125mg since June 2016, almost four years. My last scan showed no increase in the bones and only slight uptake in the liver nodes. I am considered still stable. My side effects are manageable and I think have actually improved a bit although I do think I am more tired lately. Hang in there--praying for a long run for you.

• 42young
    42young Member Posts: 126
    edited March 2020

Woodlands, I was de novo bone mets & have been on Ibrance for 13 months at lowest dose 75mg. My last scan in Dec was stable with no uptake. Side effects are very tolerable. Ladies on this board are very helpful. Good luck!!

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited March 2020

Woodlands, you have every reason to expect good things from the Ibrance Dance! My widespread bone mets and one hot node in the chest were remarkably better at 3 months. I was close to NEAD for most of the 3 years I took Ibrance/Arimidex/XGeva. When the PET showed a bit more uptake and a few new spots I chose to stop and try the newly approved Lynparza but I tolerated it poorly and had more uptake. I'm happy to be back on Ibrance (75mg) but now with a side order of Faslodex (also XGeva still). The Guardant testing recommended this and my oncologist is pumped about it.

I'm excited for you, for me and all our other survivor sisters! Some of them were here to encourage me in October, 2016 and we'll be here for you. There are no silly questions and when you have that crummy day in the midst of this.....maybe when fatigue hits......someone will have a funny story or vacation memories to lift you up.

Do get yourself some Greek yogurt. Stonyfield Farms has been good for me. Mouth sores may be in your near future and this might help you avoid them while also keeping your stomach calm. Indigestion can sometimes be a bother and I take over-the-counter Pepcid AC with dinner. Also I use Peppermint Tums which also keep my calcium levels up without supplements.

Laughter anywhere you can find it makes a world of difference. Even just going through a series of Ha-Has, Hee-Hees and Ho-Hos can change your mood and, yes, your cells! Google Laughter Yoga and find a training video. I highly recommend doing this when it's time for a scan!

All of you please do this for me....I can't link it but there's a schnauzer on video "talking" about social distancing. We have watched it over and over and found it so hysterical. If somebody knows how to link it, please do!

Much love from PatGMcQuarantined

• 42young
    edited March 2020

Hi Pat, I'm glad to see you back dancing with us again!! I've been busy with work lately so did not have time to read this thread every day.

I hope everyone is doing fine despite of what is going on. I just wonder if anyone decided to temporarily take a break from ibrance because of Coronavirus? Especially for those who are stable? Would this be a good time to take a break? I am debating myself, I don't want the cancer to grow, but don't want my low WBC open the door for the Corona either. I hope everyone stay safe!!

Hugs!

• elenas401
    elenas401 Member Posts: 170
    edited March 2020

Pat: I believe the Schnauzer video you mentioned is Pluto's Perspective the Coronavirus. It's on YouTube.

Elena

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited March 2020

Elena, you're exactly right! Thank you.

Let's try this:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=Twp4Xon...

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2020

Woodlands, I was diagnosed Stage 4 de novo, with one bone met on my spine. Within six months on Ibrance 100mg/Letrozole it was gone, and I've been NED for the last two years. Side effects were always really tolerable for me, mostly just fatigue, but lately that's gone. Feeling really good now, and hoping for lots more time on the Ibrance!

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026
    edited March 2020

Woodlands-I was diagnosed Stage 4 de novo in 9/2016 with extensive bone mets and pleural effusion. I have been on Ibrance now for 3 and 1/2 years with a very good quality of life. Hope that you also get a long run from this medication.

42Young-I figure I am at much more risk of dying from breast cancer than from Corona virus so I am continuing my treatment. However, if I get any symptoms-particularly a fever, I will immediately stop the Ibrance.

• sharware
    sharware Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2020

Hi 42young, I'm not a doctor but have been reading on threads that other patient's oncologists have suggested that white cell counts won't make a difference one way or the other since the Coronavirus is a virus. My personal opinion is to stay on Ibrance to keep cancer at bay (the devil you know) and stay away from people, wash hands, etc. etc. As cancer patients, we must maintain extreme vigilance more than the average bear. We dance together......we are not alone! ♥️.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2020

Here you go Pat!

• 42young
    edited March 2020

Thanks Chicagoan & Sharware for your comments. I remember someone on this thread mentioned about occasional short break from Ibrance may help to prolong its sensitivity, but i have not been brave enough to do it yet & thought may be this is the time. Still not sure what I will do yet, but thanks again for chiming in. Stay safe!!

• elenas401
    elenas401 Member Posts: 170
    edited March 2020

Has anyone else seen in the news reports of discussions about rationing of care for cancer patients because of the strain on hospitals and health care workers? In the UK it's reported that they're telling doctors that they will all have to work outside their specialty and treat covid 19 patients., including cancer doctors. If things continue at this rate, they will have to put off treatment for terminally ill. Being stage 4 they would put me in that group. Has any here been talked to by their providerers about delays in their treatment? I get my Ibrance sent to me, so I hope the supply continues, but I also go in for Herceptin/Perjeta treatment. I go in on 4/3, so I'll see what they say. I'm in Minnesota and the number of cases is on the rise here, none in our county yet, (that we've heard).The world sure was not prepared for this. Let's hope they can get needed supplies out there and find some anti-virals that actually worked. They just dosed two patients in NYC with Leronlimab which is also being studied for cancer.