Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited June 2020

Sondra- Glad it is done. Wow an MRI after drinking all that contrast !!! I probably would have peed my pants. In your pocket for the 25th.

• KatyK
    KatyK Member Posts: 206
    edited June 2020
    Hello All. I have not posted in a long time but I wanted to share an update. I was using I/L for almost three years but after a biopsy it was discovered that I have the PIK3 mutation so I will be switching to piqray and faslodex. What I really want others to know is the importance of second opinions. After scans in February the local oncologist recommended a biopsy to the outer lung, the results did not indicate cancer cells and as no progression was documented they recommended I stay on I/L. I also requested the scan and biopsy results be sent to another cancer Institute where I occasionally go for a second opinion. A few months went by and I had no appointments until June due to Covid but I was getting nervous so I made a call to the out of town Cancer Institute for some reassurance and to ask some questions. I just happened to ask what the oncologist there thought of the scans and biopsy (figured it would be fine as it was months ago) but I was told they had not gotten the scans, grr! So I requested the scans be sent and within a few days the oncologist called me and he had reviewed the scans with the pulmonologist, radiologist, and other members of their tumor board and determined I needed a bronchoscopy (a little camera into your lungs) to really see what was going on and to do a biopsy in the lung. They did not say it but I could tell they thought the biopsy on the outside of the lung was useless. Anyhow the new biopsy did indicate that I have the PIK 3 mutation and so I need to switch treatment. Had the scans been sent months ago I would have already changed treatment. Sorry this is a long story but what I really want to impress on others is the importance of second opinions, if I had not reached out to the other oncologist they would have kept me on I/L when I really needed to change treatment. I am currently getting some radiation to the lungs to hopefully open this airway and when done with the radiation I will start piqray. Scared to try to but I think it is the right treatment choice. Don’t be hesitant to get second opinions!
  • rk2020
    rk2020 Member Posts: 697
    edited June 2020

Has anyone been moved to a 2 week on/2 week off schedule? If so, what dose are you taking and what has your experience been like

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited June 2020

Tina2, I just started Ibrance on June 10. I saw my MO that day and asked her the same question. She said she would repeat the scans after 3-4 months on Ibrance. She wanted to give it a chance to "do its work" because if she repeated them sooner, the results could be unreliable. I forget how she worded it, but it made sense when she said it.

One interesting thing is my CBC on the day before I started the Ibrance showed that my white cell count was low. It's never been low before, and I've been tracking my blood counts ever since my first diagnosis in 2007. Weird... I'll have a CBC on the 24th to check my counts.

By the way, does anyone know of a way to add "Ibrance" to the spell checker here? It always gets underlined in red when I'm typing. It doesn't do that in the actual post - just my draft. Not a big deal, but just wondering. :)

Happy Monday, everyone!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2020

DodgersGirl...glad to know I'm not alone! I think you make three of us now.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited June 2020

Jack5ie-- funny thing is the side the next day did not have and off taste of smell. It was just that one tablet.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2020

DodgersGirl...that's odd. Let me know if you notice it again.

I'm getting more used to it but I do still find a smell from it and a taste when I place it on my tongue.

• candy-678
    edited June 2020

KatyK- Thank you for sharing your story. I have not had progression yet, but I do plan to seek out a second opinion when it happens. I hope all goes well for you with the new treatment plan. Post here and keep us informed of how you are doing.

RK2020- I have been on the usual 3 weeks on, 1 off since the beginning. But my MO is concerned about my ANC count and I am thinking a change in schedule my be on my horizon. I have heard of others on here (cannot remember names) that do 2 on 2 off. Why not the 3 weeks on, but 2 off instead of 1??? I am wondering if that is an option for me.

• mac5
    mac5 Member Posts: 85
    edited June 2020

hello to all...

I just received my package of Ibrance in the mail. The dose is 125 mg for three weeks then one week off.

I’m currently taking 2.5 mg Letrozole and in Radiation Therapy. My MO has told me to hold off on the Ibrance but continue the Letrozole until Radiation is complete. I have. Blood tests scheduled next week which will be the third week of Radiation.

Has Ibrance or Letrozole been shown to increase the effects oe side effects of Radiation

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited June 2020

My MO said the same. I’m sure someone here knows why. I don’t know, did as he said.

• rk2020
    edited June 2020

candy-678 I started on Ibrance last March and just can’t seem to get the right dose for my ANC to stay up. So far, after 14 days on Ibrance it takes me another 14 days to go above 1000. I actually dip further at 7 days off and then finally recoup by day 14 off. I’m currently on round 2 of 100 mg but this dose has clearly not worked for me. The last time I saw my MO he suggested that I might want to try Kisqali as I may tolerate that better. He said my other choice is to go to 75 mg.
    But recently I read in the ibrance study that some women were put on a 2/2 schedule. Hmmmm. It takes me 14 days to recoup so that got me wondering if there are others currently on a 2/2 schedule. I go for my CBC on Wednesday and see my MO on Friday so I’m just trying to get feedback from others before Friday.

• rk2020
    edited June 2020

mac5 - I’m on Fulvestrant and Ibrance. I started Fulvestrant immediately but held off on the Ibrance until after surgery on my femur. Post surgery, I needed one dose of palliative radiation. My radiation was scheduled on my off week. It’s my understanding that the theoretical concern is that the cdk 4/6 inhibitor will make radiation less effective, as has been shown in some preclinical models. While there is no clinical data yet confirming this, I think doctors generally held cdk 4/6 inhibitors.

• candy-678
    edited June 2020

RK2020- Can you get me a copy of that study-- 2on/2off? I am on 75mg already and my ANC is 900-1000 after 1 week off. But this time dipped to 800. I would like to show the study, or refer to the study, when talking with my MO.

• jaycee49
    jaycee49 Member Posts: 1,264
    edited June 2020

It's Karen from Scotland who is on 2 weeks on/2 weeks off. 75 mg I believe. I'll search for her but there are a bunch of other letters in her name. Oh, I have a PM from her, I think. I'll go look. And if the NHS approved it, there is a study somewhere. She doesn't hang around here that much. Just checks in periodically.

• jaycee49
    edited June 2020

Karenfizedbo15 last posted June 2. You could PM her. She probably checks that.

• M-and-M37
    M-and-M37 Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2020

Hello everyone

Took a break in posts and then took me a little time to catch up in reading what everyone else has posted. I do agree with the importance of a second opinion In retrospect if I had changed medical oncologists earlier, I may have very well had more time. Now I need to get a second opinion on my second opinion. I do want to wait until I my third cycle of Ibrance and the corresponding scan. Just took my 11th pill in the first cycle. So far so good. A little stomach upset, some fatigue, and sometimes my mouth feels really weird. Typically if I gargle with baking soda and water it brings it back to baseline but I can’t go without brushing immediately following eating. Good thing I’m not super hungry. I’ve lost some weight, which isn’t too concerning since I have some to spare. I haven’t noticed as much of a taste of the pills themselves, but I do feel that it’s changed my sense of taste a bit. Again it’s some thing I can live with. Nothing like the horrible metallic taste when I was getting Chemo.

Other than that nothing major. I do get my first labs since I began-labs drawn on Wednesday. So fingers crossed. My labs before I started the Ibrance to quote the MO nurse “perfect”. we will see.
    I did get some good news however. I’ve been experiencing dizziness on and off for a while. It has gotten worse in the last month or so. So they did an MRI of my brain to see if there were Mets there. Thank goodness there was nothing. So happy. Small victory I know but I’ll take it where I can get it.

Has anyone else had dizziness as a side effect?

I Feel you sunshine 99. Every time I say Ibrance I get Quite the variation on the spelling. Sometimes it’s Iran, sometimes it its eyebrows, I Brandts etc. etc. and so on and so forth. I find it slightly amusing.

It’s hard not to feel frustrated sometimes. I feel like my oncology team is doing their best to be empathetic, but it’s kind of a cookie-cutter relationship. I do need to give them the benefit of the doubt as my previous team was Pretty bad. I should’ve switched earlier but I wanted to finish the chemo before I changed oncologist. In retrospect… Oh well if wishes were horses beggars would ride. I need to trust myself, but this is overwhelming sometimes. Thank you for the respite ladies. Always feel better after I post.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited June 2020

Candy and Jaycee I know micmel from the my husband group takes 2 on 2 off. I’m pretty sure PatMgc has also had a different schedule for her ibrance too.

Candy I don’t know if there’s a study to support change dosing schedule but these SE’s are making me take a break now. I took 2 weeks of ibrance and now I’m taking a week off. I may let the nurse know tomorrow. This rash is so itchy this month along with fatigue I just need to. I don’t see my Onc until the 23rd. I really think that it’s a cumulative response with my ANC bc I’ve been on ibrance for 39 months. The last three have been the hardest with SE’s but praise God no progression.

Tany

• candy-678
    edited June 2020

Thanks Jaycee and Tanya for the comments about tweeking Ibrance schedule. I will PM Karen. I don't know if my MO will want to change the schedule, but I am getting information. I do not want to do Zarxio again--- see previous posts from me about that. If I can discuss changing Ibrance schedule to let counts rebound and still be on the med, maybe that is the way to go. I don't want to stop Ibrance as it is working on the cancer.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited June 2020

Mac5— I was told by MO and RO to wait at least 7 days, if not 14 days, after rads before taking Ibrance. I don’t remember the reason. Sorry. I know that is the detail you are looking for. I remember being told that something bad could happen and a woman from my home town ended up in the hospital for 3 months from whatever the possible SE is/was.

• rk2020
    edited June 2020

candy-678 - Sorry for the confusion but I did not read a study on 2/2 schedule rather a small portion of patients in trial were moved to 2/2.
    https://www.tga.gov.au/sites/default/files/auspar-palbociclib-180430-cer.pdf
    See pages 162 & 163 were there is reference to 2/2. “The change to a different schedule (2 weeks on/2 weeks off) was not described in the Protocol and the benefits of this dose in the 3.8% who switched to this regimen cannot be assured“

M-and-M37 I had dizziness on 125 mg dosage among a host of other SE (mouth sores, fatigue, loss of appetite, hair thinning and I lost two toenails). The dizziness was bad enough that it interfered with my physical therapy. My ANC dropped below 1000 and it took 14 days to recover. When I moved to 100 mg, the dizziness went away.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited June 2020

I watched two of the LBBC sessions (precision medicine and updates on ER/PR+) as well as one the made available through their exhibitor hall with an integrative MO from MD Anderson.

I came away feeling positive. There seems to be positive feelings about the new line in early phase that could open up immunotherapy for us HR+. There was some reassurance given that MOs in rural areas typically do a good job keeping up with new info, which I know is a worry among some here. The MO from MD Anderson acknowledged that patients at the later stages of therapy lines bring in creative combos to try that are outside the playbook, and that this is something he really listens to as the patient has typically become very knowledgeable. The CDK inhibitors were out big breakthrough of late and they’ve been a game changer. Excited about the cdk12 one

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    edited June 2020

I’ve been on a 2/2 schedule at 75 mg for at least 3.5 years. SEs are mild. Counts stay low but I haven’t had to stop.

I’m on cycle 56 tight now and NEAD.

• rk2020
    edited June 2020

Iwrite - Thank you for your response! It is very encouraging to hear from someone who has been on 2/2 75 mg long term. The only big difference I see in our Dx is that you are de novo. Congrats on your good results!

• candy-678
    edited June 2020

RK2020----- Thank you. I saved the link for reference.

Iwrite--- Great to know. You are bone only, right? I have liver mets too. Wonder if that changes things? I am on cycle 30 of 75mg--3 on/1off. Just wondering if I would need to change schedule.

Jensgotthis--- Glad you came away positive. I will rewatch the session when available--- Friday? I do think CDK 4/6 inhibitors are the game changer. If we didn't have Ibrance, wow, we would be in bad shape. There is a lot of talk about immunotherapy. My MO said once, that would not be an option for me since I have autoimmune disorders. But, I can always get a second opinion about that. And I do hope my MO will be open to being creative later on. She just doesn't seem to be the type.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,904
    edited June 2020

Has anybody on Ibrance had an endoscopy and stayed on Ibrance before? My neutrophils are always low on 75 mg, and I’m in my third week, which usually means I’m at my lowest. I thought about it last night. Have call in to oncologist. Waiting to hear back. It’s set for this Friday. I didn’t even think about timing. Already had my COVID test, so I’m not rescheduling.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 794
    edited June 2020

Hi KBL - I had an endoscopy (EUS) on May 29th and was on Ibrance. I also needed a covid test prior to this. They knew I was on Ibrance and it didn't seem like a concern for them. I was on week 2 of my Ibrance cycle but they didn't ask me about what day of the cycle I was. Mine turned out fine and everything looked good! Hoping yours is the same:)

• kbl
    edited June 2020

Thank you, Aprilgirl1. They just called me and said it’s fine. I’ll keep you posted. This is my third endoscopy. I had two last year, which is how I was diagnosed. I wasn’t on anything then, of course. Since imaging doesn’t show the cancer in my stomach, I’m going back to get some more biopsies to see what’s happening in there.

• jaycee49
    edited June 2020

KBL, I was just about to answer your PM. Sorry I took so long. I did not stop Ibrance or even ask. Here's my reasoning. If Ibrance is causing something GI-related, I want the GI guy to see it. Does that make sense? I also stopped taking Prilosec for five days before for the same reason. I have pretty bad gastritis and Prilosec is now causing more problems. I spent the morning on the phone making appointments and having the upper endoscopy results sent to to my MO and my palliative care doctor. These GI issues are worse right now than cancer. Yes, I said that. I don't think our ANC recovers that much anyway. I could have taken an extra week off and the timing would have been prefect but I didn't. I want to see what is going on. Pain from gastritis and almost the same pain if I take too much Prilosec. Sound familiar to anyone? It took me at least a year to figure out the too much Prilosec thing.

• kbl
    edited June 2020

Thank you, Jaycee. There wasn’t a rush. I just decided to see if anyone else did. That makes a lot of sense. I wrote you back in a private message. I hope they can help with the pain. Thank you for replying.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited June 2020

There is a trial for alternative dosing of ibrance, being 5 days on 2 days off that started in 2017. The goal is to see whether the more frequent breaks from the ibrance improve side effects. I haven't been able to find any results yet. I know someone who tried it on her own for over a year. She didn't notice any difference in her blood test results.