Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited July 2020

Ciaci - congratulations on your NEADs. Great way to celebrate a new home! Hoping my August CT shows that tumor continues to shrink. Asked my oncologist about PETs if the CT no longer finds a tumor, and she said no - not part of the standard of care, risks of radiation etc. The Sept 2019 PET showed no metastasis, just the tumor in the R-axilla. I m concerned about lurking rogue cells and no way of monitoring.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,026
    edited July 2020

KBL,

I had a bone biopsy while on Ibrance. There was concern about 3 years ago that I might have both kidney and breast cancer, so they took a biopsy of a lesion on my sacrum. I was very scared about it but it turned out to be no big deal at all. I don't know if yours is the same kind of thing-or are they going into your bone marrow? Mine was easy-local anesthesia. I was out of it for a few hours but then able to go out to lunch with the friend who took me home! Hope yours goes smoothly.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,854
    edited July 2020

JAYCEE- 100%, that is exactly what I thought! Just making their horse tablets seem "special"

Congrats to all w/good scan!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,901
    edited July 2020

Thank you, Chicagoan. I guess I'm just a little nervous about infection with my counts always being low. If you don't mind me asking, did they find out what the lesion was?

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited July 2020

KBL— my bone biopsy was before taking I/L so I can’t answer your question.

I know for rads, I couldn’t take Ibrance for at least 1 week after last rad treatment. Don’t think I have ever read about someone having to do something special due to Ibrance. I will be watching for answers to your question

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2020

Tina , praying for the best. Please keep us up!

Denny, praying for you too! Be sure to check in once in a while and let us know how you’re doing.

• chicagoan
    edited July 2020

KBL, The lesion was breast cancer. I then had a kidney biopsy which proved the mass in my kidney wasn't cancer but something more harmless. It was a relief to only be dealing with one type of cancer.

Good luck to you!

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2020

Great news! Heard from PatgMc and she seems to be hanging in there. She has lots of fatigue and nausea but her her creative mind is very active and she has channeled it into her art work ! 😁 Her art has been selling well and she donates her earnings to the homeless ministry. Typical Pat, always giving, encouraging, supportive and beaming with faith! Gotta live that girl!
    She said that she continues to pray for us all !

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited July 2020

Ginny,

Thanks for the update on Pat. Glad to hear she is doing ok.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited July 2020

Hello, fellow Dancers! I stopped in to say Hi and realized I had already been here, thanks to sweet Ginny! I did a speed-read and saw lots of good NEAD news. I also saw that some of you had progression which means you'll move on to some drugs better suited to you. Remember that it doesn't mean you won't be back here in this dance!

Metastatic since 2012, I do-si-doed with chemo and achieved NEAD for a good while. I spent some time tangling with Femara and we agreed to break up! Then I chose to do nothing for a good long time.....no meds and no scans. Bone mets brought me to Ibrance/Arimidex/XGeva, then after three years I moved to Lynparza because I'm BRCA1+. That didn't go well (insert progressing skull mets here) so a circulating tumor test fixed me up with Ibrance/Faslodex/XGeva. I've avoided a PET/CT as long as they'll let me so that will come in August. Fun!

I have one sad moment approaching.....my dear Dr. Smith is ending his time in Baptist's Memphis clinic and will finish out his working days practicing in the small town of Blytheville, Arkansas. (He's 82!) I won't follow him there (2 hours away) but I've chosen another doctor I know and love so it'll be all right. Dr. Smith, his son and I have revived the Memphis Cancer Foundation after a dear friend left her estate to us. She's one of us who "lived to die from something else" after having survived breast cancer, colon cancer and Ankylosing Spondialitis (sp?)! (We always told her, "Gee whiz, Cindy, get something we can spell!") She died from an infection and hard-headedness because she wouldn't let me take her to the hospital! Everybody has to do it her way, right? I miss her.

As Ginny said, I've had a creative spurt and even though the gallery is closed, am selling pieces right and left. (Letting creative work go is like adopting out your children, but it's fun to know where they're going!) My husband has a new job as my Shipping Department!

Here's one of the latest: "That Moment Loretta Hatched a Plan for Some Me-time at the Feed Store.....Pay no attention to the sax-playing squirrel." 12" x 24" Mixed Media (Sold)

See Loretta's transistor radio? She's about to cut loose to Sugarland's "Stuck Like Glue". Promise me you'll pull up a song on Youtube and dance to it Wednesday! We'll all be there jumpin' and jivin'!

Much love from PatGMc

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665
    edited July 2020

Ah Pat - was just thinking of you when I was making coffee, and if you hadn't checked it I was going to send out an APB on the Board! Glad to hear you are doing alright all things considered, and still creating!

I'm having an increasing issues with nausea and stomach upset - should I assume this is a side effect of I and/or L? Like the nausea is to the point where maybe a little something would be nice to have on hand. If anyone has any tricks or if this is a NP call, do let me know!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,901
    edited July 2020

Chicagoan, thank you for replying. I’m sorry they found the cancer in your sacrum. Very happy the kidney was not. I hope you’re doing well now.

DodgersGirl, thank you. I’ll write back what doc tells me on Monday.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2020

Pat,

So great to hear from you! Another amazing artwork!!! I don't know how you do it -- where do this amazing ideas come from?

SondraF,

Just to be on the cautious side, I'd call the NP and see if they can prescribe something or if they think you should come in.

Hello to all.

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719
    edited July 2020

Great news Ciaci and hope you love your new hope - we just had our shower room gutted and that was stressful enough. A whole house is a thought.
    Candy best advice is go with your gut re MO. Who is the best fit for you? Perhaps clarify with your new possible MO what the situation might be like if IV chemo is needed? Might be a way around the travelling.... you can’t be the only one in this situation. As others note suggest you stick with one, otherwise confusing?
    BevJen interested in your integrated suggestion... I def find relaxation, meditation etc very helpful.

Lovely to see you Pat!

I think we’re now getting the hang of our folk working to different dosages and schedules (3 on 2 off on 75mg for me for a good few cycles now) and MOs more willing to test different strategies.

• Mari1126
    Mari1126 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2020

Hello ladies - I have been on Ibrance 125 mg for almost three years with no issues. Last month, I was switched from capsules to the new tablet, same dose. The first thing I noticed after taking the tablets was a strong bitter after taste. Then, nausea, headache and my mouth (palate) started to peel. Curious to find out if anybody else has had any issues with the new tablets? Thanks.

• chicagoan
    edited July 2020

Mari-I don't like the tablet after taste either. I now just put some water in my mouth, shove the pill in so that it doesn't touch my tongue and swallow. It seems to help for me. I preferred the capsules.

• Mari1126
    Mari1126 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2020

Chicagoan - thank you. Yes, the after taste is no fun and may have been able to handle it, if that was the only issue. I just called Pfizer to file an adverse reaction report as I had to stop taking the tablets.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited July 2020

Wow, I guess I've been lucky. I'm only on my 2nd cycle of Ibrance (tablets) and have not noticed any nasty taste or aftertaste. I did have pneumonia last year and had to take this very nasty antibiotic. It basically dissolved partway in my mouth before I could swallow it. I ended up coating it in butter and then swallowing it. Weird, I know, but it slipped down with no nastiness. It might be worth a try - at least for masking the taste of the Ibrance.

Best of luck to all of you! :)

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited July 2020

BevJen- Woohoo on staying on Ibrance. Sounds like a great appointment. Keep us informed on the Integrative Oncologist.

PatgMc- Good to hear from you. Love the artwork.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited July 2020

Radagastrabbit- scans?

• cure-ious
    edited July 2020

A new report recently came out in Nature from Longo at USC- they find that intermittent fasting increases the effectiveness of faslodex for ER+ MBC, moreover, when fulvestrant and Ibrance were combined with periodic cycles of fasting or a fasting-mimicking diet, they got long-lasting tumour regression and could reverse acquired resistance to drug treatment! The fasting inhibited mTOR and increased levels of the PTEN tumor suppressor.

So, this is something one can try if there are signs that the Ibrance-Femara/ Faslodex therapy is starting to fail

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2502-7

https://news.usc.edu/173485/fasting-mimicking-diet...

• cure-ious
    edited July 2020

Pat, love that Jack-in-the-Beanstalk trip to the feed store!! The bike is adorable! And the clock is glowing, you are fixating on time (esp me-time!)?

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited July 2020

Cure-ious - Thanks for posting those articles. I've never tried FMD. I fasted during chemo, but I wasn't consistent again until my TM skyrocketed. I believe fasting 36 hours at a time once or twice a week helped bring down my TM before I started Ibrance. The decline slowed when I started Ibrance and needed to eat each day. Now I try to fast 36 hours during my off week. I have wondered if fasting would prevent drug resistance. My next blood test is Friday. I hope my TM continues to drop.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited July 2020

Mari1126 - I preferred the capsules, no taste, and more convenient. Only notice a slightly obnoxious taste/smell in tablets. Sometimes I think they give me a little more gas that does not help me go anywhere. On my second box of tablets 125 mg. Next box is 100mg, curious to see if blood counts pick up.

• cure-ious
    edited July 2020

Serenity,

I'm not sure what the Longo fasting mimicking diet consists of, but I would bet that one could get the same result with a 14-16hr overnight (water-only) fast combined with a regular diet during the day, the most important part being to have a regular fasting period in which you burn whatever it was you ate that day. It is amazing how strong the metabolic effect you can achieve with diet as opposed to drugs. Fasting should improve chemo too, as you say, but the problem with chemos are that they don't tend to work for very long regardless, whereas one can hopefully get a long time out of I/F, and adding in fasting would be a quick way to try to fight off developing resistance to the drugs

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited July 2020

Miss Rabbit...I've been wondering about you too.

Had my scans today. CAT and bone...have a telemed on Friday with MO for results.

So many posts here that require acknowledgement, but hard to do (this is where a quote or a like feature would come in handy). So just know that you are all always in my thoughts and prayers.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited July 2020

Cure-ious - The FMD is designed to replicate a fast of at least 3 days. An extended overnight fast wouldn't be sufficient. I tend to do that normally because I don't eat in the morning, but my TM rose anyway. I've tried almost 24-hour fasts (OMAD), but I've gotten better results with 36 hours. Of course, this is my n=1 experiment.

• snow-drop
    snow-drop Member Posts: 544
    edited July 2020

cure-ious thanks for sharing the article. I was thinking this study suggests taking femara with long enough fasting for more effectiveness, and Pfizer suggested taking ibrance with high calories+ fat food for better absorption. How to manage taking this combo?

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited July 2020

Julia,

I believe that the Pfizer recs were for the capsules. The tablets, that many of us are now taking, don't have the same suggestion from Pfizer.

• cure-ious
    edited July 2020

Thanks Serenity, is there a link to the fasting mimicking diet? Does not sound wonderful but the article indicated that some people had been on it for two years