Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026
    edited August 2020

Candy, I’ve always just been handed a bottle of water or sometimes a hospital type cup with water to drink before going in for my CT. Then the tech will put in the contrast through an IV during the scan. I don’t know how the prep drink is different, sorry.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    edited August 2020

Candy-678: for my CT scans, I have to drink 32 ounces of water before arriving at the center for scans of pelvic/abdominal area. I have CT scans with and without contrast and they give me the nuclear injection for my bone scan that same afternoon

• cugrad99
    cugrad99 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2020

Hi everyone! I'm wondering if any Ibrance long timers have ever taken a voluntary cycle break to help have a bit more energy for a special occasion, or maybe a trip, or a boost to the immune system? I'm on cycle 43 (Since May 2017), 100 mg, 3 weeks on, 1 week off for entire duration and no progression since my 6 month scan. I have bone mets only, take letrozole daily, insisted on ovary removal over Lupron shots, and get Xgeva shots at 12 week intervals (down from every 4 weeks for first 16 months or so, then every 8 weeks until recently). I've spoken with my MO about it and he seemed to be on board with a cycle break if I needed it. Just wondering if any one has tried it and had the desired results of energy and a clear head. Also, does anyone know if there are any major long term Ibrance use side effects (besides the crushing fatigue)? I'm aware of the Xgeva ones.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited August 2020

Thanks for the CT contrast comments. Sounds like BevJen does oral contrast, and Rosie and Dodgers does plain water before test. I wonder why different preps for a CT. I hated the drink-- tart lemonade on an empty stomach, and the need to pee on the CT table after drinking so much-- but I hope that they can see everything if they are not using oral contrast. Nothing said about me drinking plain water. Just nothing to eat/drink for 2 hours and that they would start an IV to give contrast.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,901
    edited August 2020

Candy, I have the four-hour fast for CT. I take a bottle of chalky-tasting stuff two hours before, another one an hour before, and then they make me take a sip before. Then they shoot the dye in at some point that makes you feel like you wet yourself. Such a weird feeling. 

• candy-678
    edited August 2020

Thanks for your input KBL. This is my new MO that ordered the next CT. So I need to ask her the reasoning for different preps depending on where you go to get scans. So far, 2 for oral contrast with the IV contrast. And 2 with plain water with the IV contrast. Keeping tally. I just want radiologist to see what they need to see. Not miss anything.

• elenas401
    elenas401 Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2020

Regarding the earlier conversation on colonoscopies. My primary ordered me the Cologuard kit. But I suppose if it shows anything suspicious, I'll have to have a colonoscpy anyway.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2020

Elenas,

Thanks for that information. Once you've had an adverse report on a colonoscopy, GI docs won't let you use that. But I say go for it if you can -- it's much easier!

• rk2020
    rk2020 Member Posts: 697
    edited August 2020

I'm chiming in on the PETscan prep. I find it interesting that the prep is different for some. So far I've had 2 PET/CT scans with two different doctors at 2 different facilities and my prep was the same. I pasted my last set of instructions below. My first scan was similar except that they went into greater detail on things to eat and not eat to make the test most successful. Since I've always gotten my scans in the early morning, I actually set an alarm to drink part of my “day of" water during the night. I read somewhere to space out your glasses of water so I set alarms on my phone all through the day before too

Patient Instructions:
    DAY BEFORE - Have a high protein, low carbohydrate diet. Drink 48oz. of water. No strenuous exercise.

DAY OF - Morning appointments, do not eat or drink anything but water after midnight. Drink 24oz water during 6hrs prior. May take routine meds.

IF DIABETIC - Do not eat or drink anything but water 6hrs before your PET scan. Do NOT take insulin within 4hrs before the scan. Bring your insulin dose with you. Make sure blood sugars are below 180.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665
    edited August 2020

Candy - CT scan here is done IV, with a few glasses of water before. They usually set down a half a hospital pitcher in front of you and a partially filled glass.

• candy-678
    edited August 2020

RK2020- I have had 2 PET's before and Yes that was the prep. I was talking about CT's. I have CT's for routine scans and if something seen then insurance approves PET.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited August 2020

I wear my insulin pump into facility, they make me take it off. They do a finger stick to make sure I’m in ok range. Then give me a big cup of sugar free nasty liquid to drink. Then I sit there for an hour before starting. The rest sounds like what my place requires.

• GinnyO2
    GinnyO2 Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2020

Hi Candy, I get the oral contrast bottles to drink for CT scans. They come in different flavors like banana, vanilla and my best one is berry ! I’m very sensitive to those kinds of fluids but the berry has a good taste...verses the all the others. Either my cancer center gives them to me or I go to the facility that I’m having it done, a few days before.

• GinnyO2
    edited August 2020

Thanks BevJen! Doc called back and just as you said ...no problem if taken within 7 days of shot !!

I try to remind myself so often that;

99% of the things we worry about , never happen!! I’ve seen this happen throughout my life too!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,901
    edited August 2020

I think I’d like it if I only had to drink water and not the other prep. The first CT I drank the chocolate flavor. Big mistake when you love chocolate. It was awful. I then switched to berry. Much more doable. 

Regarding colonoscopy, I absolutely hate that prep. The last one I had, I drank one citric whatever it is. It stayed down. The second one not so much. I couldn’t keep it down and couldn’t do any more after that. They better come up with a different prep if I ever have to do another one. I absolutely refuse to drink that ever again. 

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited August 2020

Regarding CT scans...I do not get the IV contrast because I have adverse effects to it. I drink the oral contrast only.

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited August 2020

BevJen - drink the contrast for CT? With the trouble IVs have been, I wonder why this his not been an option for me. It is a CT from pelvic area to lower neck. I will call and ask about this.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2020

BlueGirlRedState,

I drink something first, and then they also put contrast in through an IV in the middle of the test. I think others have said this as well. I still have to get an IV (and yes, I've had problems with those too -- especially when they are put in my med techs that jam them into my vein that has TONS of scar tissue in it -- the only one I generally use for everything.) Last time, I had them put the IV into a vein closer to my wrist -- it hurts a bit more when they put it in, but at least I didn't have pain for days afterwards because they popped something in my elbow vein!

That's the same area that they scan for me on CT -- what you said. From what's been listed here, it does seem that there are different practices, though, at different centers -- makes you wonder why, doesn't it?

• candy-678
    edited August 2020

BlueGirl- I started this whole line of conversation. I have CT's-- chest, abdomen, pelvis-- for my routine scans. To check liver met and monitor lungs and organs. I have been drinking contrast -lemonade flavored- 1 hour before scan and starting IV and giving IV contrast during test. I am going to a new MO and new facility and they tell me I won't get drink, just IV contrast. So I am asking others on here what they do. Yes, Bev, it is weird that different facilities do different ways. And for the same test. I am going to ask MO why. I am ok with not drinking contrast and just doing IV, but I just want to do the best way to visualize everything and not miss progression.

• GinnyO2
    edited August 2020

Candy, I had a PET/CT last week and they said I only needed the IV contrast. No need for the oral unless having the CT alone. Are you sure you’re that you’re not getting the PET/CT this time ? My insurance will only pay for a PET once a year.

• Lee64
    Lee64 Member Posts: 113
    edited August 2020

I get a CT every three months and have never had to drink anything, just the IV contrast. The order says CT chest, pelvis and abdomen with contrast. Sometimes it says with and without contrast and they inject the contrast half-way through. I go to the U of MN for treatment. It is interesting how method of testing can differ.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited August 2020

Just checking in!

I wish I could just drink water before a CT Scan, that would be awesome!

They make me do the barium smoothies where I am, with the dye contrast. So not only do I light up inside, I get the albino hops too thanks the barium for a day or two. I have to drink 2 bottles, so i mix up the taste a bit by getting 2 different flavors. I'm a berry and banana flavor kinda girl. I tried the creamsicle one by mistake once it was a bad choice...bad bad choice.

Well into cycle 9. Can't believe I'm saying that.

Have you ever been walking down an aisle somewhere shopping, and the Ibrance hits and you just knows everyone knows it was you and so you feel a little confession might be in order....or not :)

Huggssss

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited August 2020

Rabbit,

I can't stop laughing at your post. I usually blame it on my husband.

• simone60
    edited August 2020

I have been struggling with low WBC, platelets, etc recently causing delays in starting my cycle. I know a few others are having the same issue. I read papaya leaf extract helped increase counts. I wanted to share with everyone, I took 1\4 teaspoon for 4 days and I was amazed how much it increased my counts. My WBC is 4.6 and Neutrophil is 2.38.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2020

Simone80, is that something you're going to be taking every day? You should probably check with your oncologist... my husband (a retired pharmacist) says papaya is related to grapefruit, and shouldn't be taken with Ibrance, or at least, not taken much, since they use the same pathway to metabolize in the liver.

• candy-678
    edited August 2020

GinnyO2- Yes CT only--- order on Portal says CT chest abdomen pelvis with contrast. And my insurance will only pay for PET if changes seen on CT.

Rabbit- Funny !!!

• simone60
    edited August 2020

Ciaci, No I'm just going to take it a couple of days before my blood draw each cycle.

• ciaci
    ciaci Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2020

Simone80, that also concerns me. I realize it's none of my business, but to me, it's like cheating on a placement test* - you're only hurting yourself. You're artificially elevating your numbers to "pass", but once the effect of the papaya wears off, combined with the Ibrance knocking your numbers down even further, aren't you afraid your immunity will be too compromised? I would definitely think twice, and discuss with my oncologist.

*I had a friend whose son did just that. He needed to take a placement test in Spanish before entering college, where a foreign language class was a requirement. He had his Cuban girlfriend take the test for him, and he was then placed in the highest level class, which he promptly failed...

• candy-678
    edited August 2020

Ok... so my ANC after 1 week off is now 700!!!!!! Lowest in almost 2 years. New MO nurse messaged to start next cycle and repeat lab in 2 weeks. I messaged back I want to hold 1 week. See if I can upset the new MO already. I am worried about these numbers, esp with Covid increasing in my area.

• candy-678
    edited August 2020

Just saw this on Facebook. Timely....

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/health/coronavir...