Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665
    edited September 2020

KBL- it was explained to me that my ANCs have been improving and consistently above 1 as bone mets have healed.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,900
    edited September 2020

Hi, Sondra. That would be great. I’ll keep an eye on them then. I have lesions throughout my whole spine that have significantly progressed since 2013, but we didn’t know what it was until a month ago.

• Lee64
    Lee64 Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2020

Westiemom - My hair started thinning right after I started Ibrance. My brush was full of hair and it really fell out when I washed it; hair all over towel. The crown is the worst, it's pretty hard to have a hairdo without hair on the top of your head!! I finally gave up and bought a wig that matched my own hair (with some gray in it) and I absolutely love it. It's a shorter style, very easy to care for. I don't feel "dressed" until I put it on. I just got sick of looking at my scraggly hair and now it always looks nice and no more "bad hair" days. Wigs today are so much nicer than years ago.

Candy - Congratulations on good numbers. I hope this new schedule works out great for you.

PNW - I have lost a tooth already since treatment. Now I'm having trouble with the healing.

Hi to all, hope you're having a good week.

• tinkerbell107
    tinkerbell107 Member Posts: 292
    edited September 2020

Just wondering if I should obtain a shingles vaccine. My PCP mentioned it but I decided to defer to my MO for our Oct appt. Do most of you receive the vaccine? I know there are folks against vaccines. I never had one before so basically education is needed. I’m mandated for flu shot due to my work and have no problem with the same. Appreciate thoughts on this matter. Thank you

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited September 2020

Tinkerbell,

I had the shingles vaccine while dealing with MBC. My MO says to do whatever you would normally do with respect to your health.

• tinkerbell107
    edited September 2020

BevJen: Thanks. I’m glad you didn’t have a problem or reaction to the vaccine. I guess my question does it matter when I schedule, my week off ibrance?

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited September 2020

Regarding hair thinning, there is a product called Toppik you can use If you have thin spots on otherwise ok hair. You shake the hair-colored fibers onto the problem area.

• BevJen
    edited September 2020

Tinkerbell,

Now that would be a question for your MO. I think (although I'm not positive) that I just went ahead and didn't pay any attention to where I was in my cycle when I got the vaccine.

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited September 2020

Hi Tinkerbell, I also had a shingles shot. My pharmacist told me the best time to get that is when your wbc counts are the best.

• tinkerbell107
    edited September 2020

Simone80: It makes sense to receive the vaccine on my off week. So I’ll probably ask for a script and try to time it right. My WBC haven’t been the greatest so that may be another problem added to the mix..

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited September 2020

I asked my MO about the Shingles and the Tetanus-Diphtheria vaccines. She said she doesn't recommend LIVE vaccines for patients on chemotherapy. She said the flu vaccine was OK as long as it wasn't the intra-nasal one. They don't have the vaccines right now, but I may contact my PCP. I've never had the Shingles vaccine, but had the flu shot for the first time last March.

• WANDERING
    WANDERING Member Posts: 197
    edited September 2020

Ladies: yes, my hair is very thin like most of you. I was on Ibrance for over two years (taken off last week to go to chemo). I am also looking at having oral surgery for my jaw issues. The oral surgeon is bald and wears a duh rag. When I told him I was probably going to lose the rest of my hair due to the chemo, we laughed about how much money we would save on haircuts and shampoo. Is the glass half full or half empty? I am trying to look at the positive. PS: A girl friend of mine lost her hair due to chemo and it came back more blond and curly.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 794
    edited September 2020

Rosie24 and SerenitySTAT - cograts on NED/NEAD! Great news!!!

I saw my oncologist today for the blood draw, fulvestrant and a bone density test (haven't had one in 5 years). my WBC was .78 - too low to start Ibrance tonight but I will redo the blood test at a local lab on Friday and hope it is above .80 to start.

Candy - I am so happy for you that your new onc is working out well! Congrats on cycle 34! My onc said something similar to yours which is she is ok with me starting Ibrance when my WBC is just under 1.0 as I haven't been sick and it's an accumulative effect which I guess means it won't be over 1.0 at day 28 again. IDK for sure. Hope to be around .9 on Friday. I will be starting cycle 11.

BevJen - interestingly, my eGFR has been above 60 last 2 tests so she said I need to drink more water. I am coming in early in the morning these past 2 visits and I have a bit of a commute to the cancer center so I think I am chugging coffee, have my blood test as soon as I walk in the door and then drink water. I also find that wearing a mask all the time has decreased my water intake.

Hair loss- I have lost hair for sure on Ibrance and I SWEAR dont need to shave my legs any more which is odd for me. I happen to have extremely thick hair so I don't think it is that noticeable...yet.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited September 2020

Thanks aprilgirl!

I had hair loss problems before starting Ibrance. I think Ibrance is making it worse. The iRestore helmet helped. I also use a hair serum from the Ordinary (helped even more). I've started using a hairmask with leftover coffee, seaweed powder, and aloe gel. And I only use a wood comb, no plastic.

• Penny-78
    Penny-78 Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2020

Hello everyone. Penny's husband here. I know her last post was a couple of months ago, after she was hospitalized with super high liver enzymes for what was believed to be drug induced liver injury. The thinking that the time was that was due to a new supplement she had taken, or perhaps even a long-delayed reaction to Ibrance.

I'm very, very, very sad to say that she passed away or August 20th. After being a picture of health through the end of June (42 cycles of Ibrance and NEAD for three years!) she declined very quickly. Scans of her liver up until the very end actually remained clear. It wasn't until the end of July that a biopsy showed that it was actually a BC metastasis rather than DILI. It was the super rare and invisiible "infiltrative" metastasis (she said someone here had posted a warning about it?) that quickly took over and caused her liver to fail. Attempts at treatment near the end failed as it turned out that her cancer had mutated to a very aggressive triple negative.

I wanted to let you all know because, while not the most frequent poster over the years, she found incredible love and support here. She found the courage and humor seen here to be an inspiration. She often told me about funny stories that were exchanged here. She considered you all to be dear riends.

We are of coruse heartbroken at how quickly her success story turned into a bizarre decline. I do hope you all keep the faith, and hold onto hope, and support each other on this journey with love and kindness.

Warmest regards,

Harry

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,665
    edited September 2020

Oh no - not Penny. I remember reading about some of her struggles at the start of the summer with her numbers.Thank you, Harry, for returning to let us know, and I hope you, the family, and especially Penny all find peace.

• BevJen
    edited September 2020

Oh, Harry,

So sorry to hear about this. She was helpful to me several times when I posted. Thinking of you and hoping that you are doing okay.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited September 2020

May Penny-78 rest in peace. Thank you Harry for letting us know.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited September 2020

Harry, I'm so sorry. Thank you for letting us know about Penny. Wishing you and your twins peace and strength.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited September 2020

I am so sorry to read this Harry, thanks for letting us know.

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited September 2020

Harry, I'm so sorry to hear about Penny. Thank you for letting us know. Peace for the mourning family and peace for Penny. So sad.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited September 2020

Harry- I am so sorry to hear about Penny. I hope it was a peaceful passing.

Tinker bell- the new shingrix vaccine is not a live virus vaccine like the early shingles vaccine Was. I had my first one right before I started the new cycle when my wbc was the highest - but, the second one was Pre-scheduled and I just had it randomly. I had a bit of nausea and injection site pain with the first one. The vaccine was very popular and hard to get for awhile- hope availabis better. Seeing terrible suffering from shingles in many loved ones I was very anxious to get this vaccine.

Hair terribly thin on I/F, then got thick and luscious the year I was on A/A, now it is thin esp on top with the Xeloda.

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited September 2020

Harry,

I'm so sorry to hear about Penny. She was always so supportive, she will be missed.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,528
    edited September 2020

Condolences to Penny’s family. Harry so sorry for your loss. Penny shared here often and she will be missed.

Tanya

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited September 2020

I'm completely saddened to hear about Penny. She was so nice and remained that way even while she was going through all this. As I have said in the other thread, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,166
    edited September 2020

Question for the group---- I saw my CBC results on the patient portal. They mentioned "occasional Dohle bodies". Have never seen that before. Googled it. Something about neutropenia and inflammation/infection. I have had a runny nose and watery eye the last few days. No fever. Call into MO-- awaiting response. Hope nothing brewing.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,463
    edited September 2020

Dear Harry,

We are so very sorry for your loss of Penny. Thank you so much for letting everyone here know about her. We are holding you and your family in our thoughts. We know that she will be missed in our community.

Our condolences,

The Mods

• snow-drop
    snow-drop Member Posts: 544
    edited September 2020

Harry,

I am so sorry for your loss of dear Penny.Penny was lovely and she will be missed.
    my condolences.

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited September 2020

Dear Harry,

A wise person once told me that every life is a complete life whatever its length. I'm so sad for you and your children that Penny is no longer with you in the flesh but I'm thankful her spirit lives. I'm thankful for the good life she led with you and for the words she shared with us here. She was a wonderful part of our community and gave many hope that they too could achieve NEAD.

I pray that your good memories of Penny will help you through these hard days. I'm sad for you but happy for the way she danced and will always think of her as a success story.

Love from PatGMc

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,854
    edited September 2020

Dear Harry,

It's shocking how quickly cancer can mutate and take over; very sorry that you (and we) have lost Penny and very grateful to hear the story. There are of course many worse endings than a fast one, but it is so shocking all the same. Best wishes to you and your family..