Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Comments

• PatgMc
    PatgMc Member Posts: 1,312
    edited February 2021

Okay, sweet friends, I left out something important while going on and on about laughter's importance. I do thank you for your kind words.

A week or two ago I had a big ugly cry over something little, having nothing (I thought) due to MBC. It was therapeutic and afterward I remembered a researcher with proof that sad tears have toxins needing to be released. (The ones you cry when something is hysterically funny are chemically different. Go figure.)

My family was bug-eyed as I wept and we've had a good laugh about that since. Ah! The circle of life!

Love from PatGMcPuffy

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    edited February 2021

You always have words of wisdom Pat. Thank you for your posts. I love to laugh and listen to one of the comedy stations on my radio quite often. Laughter truly is the best medicine! I do think that there are times when our bodies just need us to cry and get it out.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited February 2021

So, this isn't related to Ibrance, but heck, I'm stage IV, taking Ibrance, and Pat told us how important laughter is. Here's my funny story.

You have to know that my husband and I have been married for coming up on 33 years. We have a strong faith and a determination to live life to the fullest and to laugh and love. Tonight, I had a weird episode of what I call "deja vu" followed by a bad wave of nausea. This has happened before, but it's still unsettling. I was in the bathroom and I sat down on the edge of the tub to get my bearings.

My husband came in and asked if I was OK. I told him I thought I was and told him what happened. He just held me and said he was sorry.

A little while later I found him in the kitchen and I asked him if he was tired of me and did he want to trade me in for a younger model. He hugged me again and said, "No, I think I'll stick with my old clunker." We laughed so hard over that. He did ask me if I wanted to trade HIM in for a newer model and I gave him the same answer.

Bottom line, we're going to stick with each other. Replacements would be too expensive.

Laughter IS the best medicine!

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

Thanks for the precious story, Old Clunker/AKA Sunshine99!! May you have a million more moments like that.

My husband says he waited all his life to have his own, personal "Shut-in" (which would be me) and he got a bonus of one who looks like she's been put together with bailing wire! (52 wedded years and counting). We laugh that we unexpectedly got too old to die young!

Love from PatGMcScars

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,663
    edited February 2021

Pat - wanted to thank you for those words of wisdom, and for you and Sunshine to share your laughs with your partners. The last month or so I've been watching funny short comedy sketches on YouTube and that has helped a lot. I have a couple of good friends I can laugh with most days chatting online through work, and partner won't let me get into bad places. Some days I do get a little wobbly but its ok to cry. Cripes, maybe Im crying tears of Ibrance (more likely generic letrozole fillers, but who knows!)

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

Good for you, Sondra! Sometimes I entertain myself by thinking how much easier the pandemic has been for me than for all my well friends.....I've been in semi-lockdown for 4+ years since I get very little warning before my Ibrance nausea gives up the goods! Ain't nuthin' a cotton mask can do for that!

Tonight I'm "entertaining" myself doing paperwork for the AFLAC Cancer Policy. I love getting the money but I really, really hate making all the copies and filling out the forms. (First World problems, right?) I've put it off since September so it's especially "entertaining" this time!

PatGMcSoonToBeRich

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

Oh, speaking of ways to entertain yourself, I just read the magnificent "Where the Crawdads Sing", a work of fiction by Delia Owens.

You cannot think of yourself or anything but the story while you read this. It will tear you up a bit but the ending is worth it all!

Love from PatGMcLiterary

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited February 2021

Again, thank you Pat. Thank you as well to all the wonderful ladies here for reminding me everyday that I'm not alone. Hugs to you all.

• Hollyli1202
    Hollyli1202 Member Posts: 122
    edited February 2021

Pat - love your stories and inspiring words. Ugly cries are good too! Where the Crawdads Sing was a good book. It took me awhile to get into the story.

Here’s my funny anecdote. I was talking to my hubby shortly before Valentine’s Day about how I was such a “problem” wife for him and how I seem to be falling apart. He told me that he’s just going to duct tape me back together each time. I told him I better not be getting duct tape for Valentine’s Day. 😉 We have been together for 20 years. Our 20th wedding anniversary is next year.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited February 2021

Holly, I love the duct tape idea!

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited February 2021

Laughter is vital. and reminding myself that I still deserve things even though I know my life will be shortened. lots of people's lives will be shortened - they just don't know ahead of time- try not to listen to the doomsday sayers. A few of them early on really affected my outlook- now I realize no one knows-

serenity also- someone used to wish people serenity at the end of all her posts a few years ago- now I really value that wish.

• novagirl
    novagirl Member Posts: 82
    edited February 2021

Hopefull2, I’m so happy you are feeling better and that your MO is hopeful. A 17 year old and a 6 year old...the best of both worlds with those ages. That’s so sweet. I don’t know second line yet I could be Verenzio too.

Laughter truly is the best medicine. I love all the stories from everyone!

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

"You Can't Have a Bright, Sparkly Life Stuck in Sensible Shoes"

This is my ode to loosening up and taking things less seriously.

Love from PatGMc

• Hollyli1202
    edited February 2021

love it Pat!!

• WANDERING
    WANDERING Member Posts: 197
    edited February 2021

This is a poem written by Charlie's uncle several years ago (12-17-2004) and I thought it was so great I wanted to share it with you:(A bit long but read to the end).

Hey, youngins, lend me an ear

I'm about to say something

You might oughta hear,

So live your young life and have lots of fun-

Father time is chasing you,

So stay on the run.

He's trying to tell you

You're gonna get old,

So listen and beware

Of what you're told.

Now sit back and take it all in,

So when he catches you

You can take it on the chin.

About a lifetime ago,

When I was thirty-nine,

I went to bed that night,

A little tired but feeling fine.

I didn't have a nightmare;

And I didn't have a dream,

But something weird happened that night,

That seemed a bit obscene-

'Cause when I woke next morning,

and went to wash my face,

My hair had fallen out,

And a bald spot took its place.

My teeth, they turned yellow-

Some had even disappeared.

I now had age spots and wrinkles

Showing through my beard.

My eyesight dimmed,

Dimmed down to the core.

I couldn't see near as good

As I could before.

My hearing went;

So my ears, they got a rest-

No more griping and bossing

From the one I love best.

My joints, they squeak –

My muscles, they ache –

They hurt so bad

They keep my awake.

My memory left,

And that was bad.

But how could I lose what I never had?

My tail light shines,

Just a little bit-

It only comes on

When the fire is lit.

Although my get-up-and-go

Has done got up and went

I still thank the good Lord

For what He has sent.

'Cause now I know

What brought on that sight;

I aged from thirty-nine to eighty-three

In just one night!

• Hollyli1202
    edited February 2021

Wandering - Great poem. :)

Got a call from my MO today - after careful consideration and researching, he wants me to go on immunotherapy. He says there are studies that show better outcomes if I do radiation in conjunction with immunotherapy. So, I have this weekend to decide if I want to start it. My last biopsy was not HR+, so he doesn't think we should go down the hormone therapy road.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2021

Holly,

I responded separately to your PM to me.

There are some studies that say that using radiation in close proximity to immunotherapy sometimes helps turn a tumor into a "hot" tumor (thus more susceptible to immunotherapy), so your MO is on point on that.

Have you had an F! or other genomic testing done?

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

Holly, that's great news! Look up Judy Perkins, who did immunotherapy after she was told all treatments had been exhausted. She's been doing great for years, kayaks great distances!

https://www.cancerresearch.org/blog/march-2019/jud...

We'll be pulling for you..... Get on Amazon and buy a kayak!

Thanks for the fun poem, Wandering!

Love and my best,

PatGMcCan'tWaitforImmunotherapy! (and a kayak)

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,853
    edited February 2021

Pat, Love your latest, frozen worlds are very special!!! And yeah, me too, can't wait for immunotherapy to hurry up and arrive, give us all a break!!

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673
    edited February 2021

It’s been so wonderful to read Pat’s posts and the stories shared by all.

A wonderful friend in my stage 4 support group shared something that has really helped me when I worry about how the downhill part of this is going to go...

“Don’t write the ending...

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

Laughter being the topic of our week I looked up this old 2014 article I did for Cancer.net.

There's been a whole lot of cancer since way back then; perhaps an update is in order and, jensgotthis, I promise not to "write the ending"!

https://www.cancer.net/blog/2014-02/keep-fun-funer...

I look forward to hearing more of your funny stories, sweet friends!

Love from PatGMcStillSnowedInDownSouth

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited February 2021

Oh, Pat, that is such a lovely article. Such great thoughts for all of us to reflect upon. And to laugh about.

Thanks so much for sharing.

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,853
    edited February 2021

Pat!! How are you so talented AND funny?!! And have such a cute husband to boot...

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

I do have a cute husband! I snagged this boyfriend at fourteen (17 in picture) and have never (well, except when I was grumpy with PMS) been sorry!

Thanks for the sweet compliments. I'm blushing.

Love from PatGMcMatchingShoes

• Hopfull2
    Hopfull2 Member Posts: 287
    edited February 2021

patgmc,,,, what an amazing looking couple. Your beautiful.

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719
    edited February 2021

Nice one Pat... again!

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 758
    edited February 2021

Great piece, Pat!

Tina

• Hollyli1202
    edited February 2021

Pat - You two are a gorgeous couple!!

Jen - I like the words... I will try to live by them.

Bev - I get my Foundation 1 "biopsy" tomorrow. In the past I have also had genetic testing done, as I am part of a study (https://apps.ohsu.edu/research/study-participation-opportunities-system/knight_viewstudy.php?id=STUDY00016113). I also get my RT simulation tomorrow. And I am going to see if they can image my lungs to see if the pleural effusion is big enough to drain and maybe they can get a biopsy out of the fluid.

Cure-ious (or anyone) - why is it that CDK 4/6 inhibitors are only for hormone+ patients? Is that protein connected to hormones?

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209
    edited February 2021

Taking my first dose of Ibrance tomorrow along with Zometa and Faslodex. Any tips on how to handle SEs would be greatly appreciated.

• PatgMc
    edited February 2021

RosieRed, it's entirely possible you will have no side effects or almost none!

Picture all of us Dancers wishing you well. Just blink and you might get to NED in six months.

It happens!

Love from PatGMc