Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

brutersmom, thinking of you today. Hopefully you're already drugged and under and will wake up pain and nausea free.

Carol

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,314
    Options

All the best of luck to you, Brutersmom!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 887
    Options

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. I just got to the room and I am eating some lunch right now.

@sunshine99 ne99 I did not get much sleep. I guess I did to much getting ready over the weekend and my knee became very painfull and Tylenol did not help. Probably have many more sleepless nights for a while.

@Rosebessie and @chicagoan an thank you

• brutersmom
    Options

Should be going home today. They are supposed to give me pain meds ever 4 hours of some type. Nurse never showed ar 5:39. Finally got them at 8:30. Every thing went well.

Surgeon said my knee really deteriorate over the last year. He said that only thing he thinks kept me moving was my working out. If I waited another year, I would probably not be able to walk with out a walker nor would I have been able to fit the MAKO guidelines. I would have had to have traditional knee replacement which has a longer recovery. I am happy I fought to have this now.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am heading back to pain medicine lane.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 758
    Options

Brutersmom- thanks for the update . I am so happy for you that you had the surgery, it's a good thing you were able to do it before it got even worse. I'm also proud of you for persevering and I know it wasn't easy to get this approved and scheduled . Your working out and physical condition is such a benefit!! Rest up , make sure to try to take it easy and heal .

• brutersmom
    Options

Thanks @aprilgirl1. A little while ago I had an reaction to the pain med. I sat up and almost passed out. Apparently I have a side effect of mixing pain meds with effexor pluses it didn't work looks like I am hear another day. This pain is hard.

• sunshine99
    Options

brutersmom, thank you for the update. I'm sorry the pain meds are being stinky. I hope you can go home soon with the pain under control.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,043
    Options

brutersmom, so glad you are on this side of the surgery! The first three or four days post op were the worst for pain for me and then it started to improve from there. I hope that is the case for you, amd that the pain meds help enough to make you somewhat comfortable and able to sleep at night. Keep us posted on your progress. Best wishes to you!

• brutersmom
    Options

I started using ocycodone for pain. I also have take effexor. Apparently i have this rare reaction. it was the physical therapist who figured out i was having a reaction.

"Using oxyCODONE together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucinations, seizures, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, ...:

I am now on tramadol and this has the same risk. No one seems to have ever heard of it. I am stuck here until they can control the pain. Right now I can't even stand up to walk to the bathroom right now. My blood pressure drops about 40 points.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 967
    Options

Sorry Brutersmom-that sounds really tough. Hope they can figure out how to control the pain soon.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,020
    Options

That sounds really difficult to weather, @brutersmom! We're glad to hear that the physical therapist pieced together the reaction you were having though. When do you meet with the doctors next to assess next steps?

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 909
    edited January 10
    Options

Brutersmom sending you healing energy, I am glad your surgery is over. Now hopefully time will help with the pain and they find the right pain relief for you.

• sunshine99
    Options

Brutersmom, thinking of you and hoping today is a better day.

Carol

• brutersmom
    Options

The dos are finally putting 2 and 2 together. They think what happened is the pain block wore off Monday night when it should have lasted one more day. They got the pain meds readjusted so things are better. I am having a lot of muscle pain in the legs especially the one they operated on. I wondering if letrozol might be of the problem. The other leg aches as well. From some of the things I experienced I wonder how many cancer patients have ever had knee replacements.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,043
    edited January 10
    Options

brutersmom, I’m glad the meds were adjusted and your pain level has improved somewhat. I’m hoping that continues each day; it always seems like the first couple days are the worst.

As for cancer patients having knee replacements, I’m sure there are plenty. A quick google shows “approximately 800,000 total knee replacements are performed each year in the U.S.” Not all of those patients are going to be in good health.

• brutersmom
    Options

@Divinemrsm I was chatting with the hospitality today and asked him how many cancer patients have knee replacements and he said he has never seen one. He has cared for cancer patients with bone fractures etc. But not electives.

I was wondering if letrozole is causing extra pain?

• chicagoan
    Options

Brutersmom-how are you doing today? Have you been able to go home? Hope that the pain has come under control.

Based on our ANC comparisons, just moved my Xgeva/blood work appointment from 7:30 am to 3 pm. We'll see what my ANC looks like next week.

• irishlove
    irishlove Member Posts: 485
    Options

@brutersmom Thinking of you and hoping you are healing and home. I did hear of serotonin reaction. It actually happened when I mixed cymbalta rx that I had taken for the first time, with zoloft (if I remember correctly). It cleared in a day.

• Rosebessie
    Rosebessie Member Posts: 63
    edited January 13
    Options

@brutersmom I'm just catching up on your progress. My Internet has been a nightmare all week. I'm glad you're over the actual surgery and recovering. So sorry you went through that awful pain and the serotonin effect which i'm hearing of it for the first time here. Are you home yet? I send hugs and wish you a pain-free recovery). Please let us know how you're getting on 🫂💕

• sunshine99
    Options

brutersmom, I'm chiming in here to check on you and to let you know I'm thinking about you and hope you're home or close to going home.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 758
    Options

@brutersmom , I'm thinking About you too and sending you healing thoughts and prayers ! Hope you get home soon .

• brutersmom
    Options

Hi all. Thanks for the kind words. I finally got home Friday evening. It has been a rough couple of days. Especially dealing with the disappointment of being able to walk around with minimal pain to significant pain. that is challenging mentally Saw physical therapist for home therapy. Need to get moving but mentally just not there. They now don't think it was a serotonin effect but they are concerned as to what it is. There are 4 possibilities but they don't want to explore anything I till I have time to recover. With the surgery I had I should be walking with a cane and minimal pain. Instead I am barely lifting my leg and have pain most of my waking hours. OH well this will pass. It will just take longer.

By the way I got my CA 27.29 back last week and even though I am off Ibrance my number co tinues to hover around 29.

• backporch2018
    backporch2018 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Stage IV bone Mets 5 years ago. Still on Palbociclib( Ibrance), Femara, and Xgeva. Some sporadic major fatigue, and small joint pain, but otherwise, great. Find joy in every day, and hold fear only a moment, then send it afloat, like a balloon. Yes, it IS the best medical time for us… so many treatments.

• chicagoan
    Options

Backporch2018-So glad to hear your update. Thanks for posting!

• Rosebessie
    Options

@brutersmom wonderful to hear you're home. Sorry you're still in pain but as you rightly say "this you shall pass". Your positive spirit is inspirational. I'm just glad for you that surgery is done and now focus is all on recovery. Wishing you all the best. Sending love.

• Rosebessie
    Options

@chicagoan Hallo, and how are you doing? I've just seen your treatment profile. Wow!! You've been on Ibrance and Letrozole since 2016? You are a huge source of encouragement. Bless you.

• Rosebessie
    edited January 15
    Options

@backporch2018 Hallo. I don't think we've interacted before but I just want to tell you your treatment profile is another source of encouragement as well, knowing you've been on tge Ibrance +Femara combination therapy since 2018. What a good place this group group has turned out to be. I just keep meeting more and more wonderful women everyday 💕🫂

• chicagoan
    Options

@Rosebessie I am doing very well. I have been on Ibrance/Letrozole since October of 2016. After several years of not working or just doing occasional gig work, I was able to return to work in 2023 which was satisfying to me. My one job is a contract which will end this month. My other job is seasonal-part-time which I hope to keep. Somehow my stamina has improved over the years on Ibrance. The first 3 months I was exhausted, the next few years pretty tired, but now I feel relatively "normal." I hope to stay on this ride as long as I can. Best wishes to you and everyone else currently on Ibrance.

• eleanora
    eleanora Member Posts: 298
    Options

@brutersmom

Congratulations on making it through a surgery that's difficult even without cancer!

Had my hip replaced in 2019, 3 months before my cancer diagnosis and the first 2 weeks were the most difficult. I've heard that knees are a harder surgery than hips, so hang in there. Have they given you an ice machine? It was the best thing I used for the first month and allowed me to reduce the pain meds. You can rent one by the month. I also asked my surgeon to add a muscle relaxer, as I had terrible cramps and spasms. It was a great help.

Please don't measure your progress by what you've read or been told others did. I used a walker longer than "normal" and a cane thereafter longer than "normal", and yet today I walk pain free. You do you. "Normal" is just a setting on the dryer!

I wish you continued improvement and look forward to your future post when you're telling us all how amazing your knew knee is.

Eleanora

• Rosebessie
    edited January 15
    Options

@chicagoan thank you for sharing that summary of your body's reaction to the treatment. I'm so glad you felt "normal" enough to go back to your regular work. I'm 65 this year, so past employment but I'd be elated if my energy was normal so I could get some contact work. Hearing your experience give me hope.