Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Johns Hopkins "Ask an Expert"

Options
lynn1234
lynn1234 Member Posts: 90
edited September 2021 in Recommend Your Resources

Johns Hopkins "Ask an Expert" is a free site where you can submit a breast cancer question and receive a reply usually within 48 hours. The answers are written mainly by Lillie Shockney RN, BS, MAS. She has been the administrative director of the Johns Hopkins Breast Center since 1997 at Johns Hopkins and has written several books on breast cancer and won many awards.She herself has had breast cancer twice.

There are several categories regarding breast cancer on the site. I have asked several different questions and always received a good reply. Sometimes it's nice to get another take on an issue from someone with experience or ask something that I would be too embarrassed to ask my doctor, etc.

There is a search bar where you can see if a similar question has been asked also. It's a fantastic resource that I highly recommend. The link is below:

http://www.hopkinsbreastcenter.org/services/ask_expert/

Comments

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    Options

I second what Lynn has shared. I have asked a question on "ask an expert" too. It was nice to get a helpful answer. Lillie does get back to you quickly

Nancy

• lynn1234
    Options

She must be a busy lady, being an author, nurse, speaker, professor and answer all those questions!

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    Options

I agree! There are tons and tons of questions yet she manages to keep up. Amazing

Nancy

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,928
    Options

I have also used that site and been very pleased.

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    Options

I've used it and loved it too. Really great concept

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    Options

I got good answers too

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 1,051
    Options
  • PatRN10
    PatRN10 Member Posts: 110
    Options

ditto to above but I could not locate the search feature .

• lynn1234
    Options

It's at on the top right side of the front or home page

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

I also asked a pathology question at CellNetix.com and received a great answer from a pathologist.

• lynn1234
    Options

That's great to know-I'll check it out!

Thanks,

Lynn

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138
    Options

Sometimes if the search function doesn't work well, I also use the browser's search command Find (Ctrl F). A small window should pop up and you can put your keyword there.

• bostonnorthwest
    bostonnorthwest Member Posts: 5
    Options

This site appears to be disabled.

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    Options

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    Options

SimoneRC, it seems to have been that way since early in 2019. I used to enjoy reading the questions and answers on that site.

• simonerc
    Options

That’s a bummer! I am treated there and they are so great! I can ask them if they have any info on the ETA if you want

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    Options

Sure, SimoneRC, that would be great. Wishing you the best!

• simonerc
    Options

Hi Pi-Xi!

Just sent a message to the Nurse Navigator. Will let you know when I hear back from her!

All the best to you as well!

• marcar1
    marcar1 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I was dx iDC in right breast, Jan 2021, lumpectomy, 23 radiation treatments. I am on Letrozol. I just had my 6 month, post-treatment bilateral diagnostic mammo and ultrasound. Left breast has developing focal asymmetry. Radiologist recommended birads 3 and 6 month recheck. I am not going to wait six months for recheck. Is it feasible that I request a biopsy now?

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Marcar1, usually with BIRADS3 insurance will not cover a biopsy. The evidence based approach is a recheck in 6 months. So frustrating, I know.