Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Naturopathic Oncologist Recommendations

Options

Hello!  I live in Northwest Pennsylvania and I'm interested in consulting with a Naturopathic Oncologist in my area (Cleveland, OH; Pittsburgh, PA; Buffalo, NY).  I have seen an Integrative Medicine MD at the Cleveland Clinic, but would also like to see someone who specializes in treating cancer survivors from a holistic perspective.  I am fine with consulting someone via conference call or Skype too.  Any recommendations?  Thank you!

Comments

• maryjc
    maryjc Member Posts: 61
    Options

hi, did u ever find anyone? I'd be interested too

• peggy_j
    peggy_j Member Posts: 89
    Options

I know that Dr. Lise Alschuler is highly regarded. I have a couple of her books and asked my MO her opinion and my MO said that Dr. Alschuler spoke at the big Breast Cancer Conference one year and that she's highly regarded. I have no idea whether she meets with people via Skype. I met herself myself about a year ago and when I asked how to find a Naturopathic Oncologist she wrote down the name of a national accreditation organization. I can't find that card offhand but I bet its once of the orgs that she's affiliated.

http://www.drlise.net/

American Board of Naturopathic Oncology

Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians

American Association of Naturopathic Physicians

Hope this helps!

• momoschki
    momoschki Member Posts: 218
    Options

I live in NYC and have consulted several times with Dr Alschuler via Skype. I think she is really wonderful: extremely knowledgeable, up on latest research, and always promptly answers any questions I might have that pop up via email. She is also very empathic and speaks to me as an equal. I have an integrative oncologist in NY, but there are times When I have certainly wished I was in AZ, where she is. She does many remote consultations. PM me if you have specific questions.

• Allyn
    Allyn Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi, I live in Brooklyn, NY and I'm interested in finding a naturopathic oncologist. I've also listened to Dr Alschuler on her podcast and others, so I'm considering contacting her. If anyone can recommend someone in NYC, that would be wonderful! I had a lumpectomy at the end of April and just completed 4 weeks of radiation. I'm expected to start Anastrazole, but haven't had another appointment yet with my oncologist to discuss it. It concerns me to take a medication for so long after reading about potential side effects. My cancer was stage 1A and quite small. I just hate that the same dose is doled out across the board - whether I take it or not, I want to maintain the best possible health I can. I hate just googling doctors in my area. Thanks for any ideas!

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    Options

Hi Allyn,

How wonderful that you are post-surgery and radiation! I'm just about to begin my seven weeks of radiation. I have had a great integrative medical doctor who helped me add protective complementary/naturopathic therapies throughout. Her name is Dr. Rita Ellithorpe (Tustin Longevity Center). Link to her Youtube video channel is below.

When I mentioned wanting an integrative oncologist, she told me about ACAM. If you search acam.org and scroll down on the home page, just plug in your zip code and it should show who is in your area.

Most interesting to me was that my IMD did not think my bc was caused by my genetics (CHEK2 mutation) or my dense breasts, or never having breastfed, etc. She believes it manifested primarily due to my blood type, A. Apparently A's do not digest our nutrients as well and have less of the digestive enzymes needed. We become "dusty" inside and the cellular debris is not swept out. I am now taking natural digestive enzymes (Orthodigestzyme by Orthomolecular) with every meal, and systemic enzymes am and pm on an empty stomach, etc...

Hopefully you'll find a great naturopathic/IMD who will know about Anastrazole and how you might protect yourself from any harmful effects.

If you're interested, Dr. Rita Ellithorpe has a free weekly "Ask the Doctor" Q&A tonight (and every Monday night) on Youtube at 5:30pm Pacific time. You can ask her your Anastrazole question and see if she has any recommendations.

She has 40 years of science/medicine background and is published. Cancer patients come to her from all over the state (CA) but she will answer your medical questions online from anywhere! I highly recommend putting a question in the chat for her to answer for you.

HERE IS THE LINK : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU__Hi0cqEeMVCiIY...

Blessings,

Esther

• Allyn
    Allyn Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks so much, Esther! I will definitely take a look at her YouTube channel. I'm learning a lot about contributors to hormone receptive breast cancers like environmental factors, xenoestrogens, extra weight, alcohol, etc What's interesting in my case is that I've had digestive issues for almost a year. My ENT was like, it's "just mild gastritis" but now I'm learning more about what a major affect gut health is for overall health. I've never been unhealthy and I don't blame myself- I know how common breast cancer is, but like most women, I want to control what I can. Thanks for ACAM, I'll see who's in my area. Dr Alschuler mentioned oncanp.org also for a list. I probably just need to pick someone and give them a try. My regular oncologist was just so matter-of-fact about the medication in our very brief initial meeting, it bothered me.

All the best with radiation! I didn't feel side effects besides the skin darkening in the last couple of weeks. I really think eating well and exercising, even if light everyday helped me. I know 7 weeks is a longer run, but it wasn't nearly as scary as I expected.

Thanks again! I appreciate the tips!

Best,

Allyn

• marciam
    marciam Member Posts: 84
    Options

hi everyone;

I know of a naturopathic Practioner in Phoenix, AZ. His name is Dr Joe Brown . I had stage 3-4 and didn’t know I had a brain tumor . He charges a lot but has good working knowledge of alternatives. I left early due to being too sick after chemo to tolerate anything more . I was skeptical of some of the things he was giving me and his prices .
    I looked them up later and used everything he taught me . He was quite good . At that time I was alone in Phoenix and had so many blood counts out I couldn’t hardly get around . He then gave me a few of his chemo treatments.
    about 9 months later I discovered the brain tumor my MO missed it never scanned me in time to save my right hand . Lost it left work and had no clue why. Later at the dentist I had stroke like symptoms and went to the Er. I had to them diagnose myself !

I’ve survived a brain brain tumor and had yet to get surgery and rads for it . now I do Health coaching/Cancer counseling with diet, various medicinal supplements and foods as well as reiki and hypnosis to better assist others . ive been cancer free 10 years almost 😅. I can attest to the fact that alternative treatments really work but you must be knowledgeable yourself of what types of treatments will be right for you !
    I took a mind body spirit approach and that is what truly helped . I do sessions with hypnosis or reiki by Skype . Feel free to email .

Hoping you all find your own path to

Healing ❤️🩹

Marcia

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209
    Options

Marcia M: how did you find the Naturopathic doctor in Phoenix and seems that if you live in Ohio does he see you on Zoom or a telehealth appointment? Seems like Arizona might lean towards having more doctors with alternative practices.

I live in the SF Bay Area and being a large metropolitan area I would think there might be a good integrative MD for alternative treatments. I really have this feeling I will hate the AI drugs and being older , I want QOL for what years I will have left!

Anyone who can offer names of good Integrative oncologists in Northern California would be so welcomed.

• racheldog
    Options

EsterO1: sorry, I just saw that your post did offer some information on how to find alternative practitioners. I imagine not covered by insurance though?

• racheldog
    Options

MarciaM. Amazing story you have and so glad you are out 10 years. I will look in to Joe Brown, who you recommended. I called the other practice in Arizona today and may consider doing an out of state Zoom for some questions or guideance. If I fail the AI drugs I really want some natural ideas.

It is unfortunate that traditional Western Medicine does not "recognize" ND doctors and thus, most of the time you have to pay steep prices for out of pocket alternative advice. Do you do health counseling, etc for out of state gals?

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    Options

Thank you Marcia, for sharing your remarkable story and also for the wonderful resources.

Racheldog, some are covered by insurance. Just depends which one. Truly, having an integrative approach to oncology has made all the difference for me. I am relieved to have made it through surgery and 7 weeks of radiation with minimal issues. My naturopathic doctor accepts nearly all insurance. I am beyond grateful. She is in Southern California and she does telehealth.

Love,

Esther

• racheldog
    Options

Esther01: May I ask who that is? It looks like you did not go through chemo of any kind?

I live in California and in the age of Telehealth and Zoom I have been searching the internet. I want to have a backup plan for alternatives if I cannot tolerate the AI drugs, which appear to have way to many side effects.

• racheldog
    Options

Ester01....who is the naturopathic doctor in SoCal that you see on video?

• fredericknp
    fredericknp Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hi Racheldog,

Did Esther provide the name of her ND SoCal doctor?

• racheldog
    edited April 2023
    Options

I would still love to know who this Naturopathic Doctor in SoCal is who does telehealth, please. I have been postponing going on these AI drugs. Tried Letrozole, awful. The side effects of these drugs are terrible. Last night I read an article by cardiologist (relatively new in 2020) and they had done studies on progression of heart failure while on AI drugs. I am 70 and was in good health before this but have a family history of cardiovascular issues. Not myself, yet, thank goodness and echos were good. But these drugs terrify me. Cardiac wise I feel women still need estrogen.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 649
    edited April 2023
    Options

Rachel and Frederick, Esther01 was last seen on the forum on June 7, 2022. She had previously posted about Dr. Rita Ellithorpe and the Tustin Longevity Center. Hope this helps.

• racheldog
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thank you. It does help and I will look this Dr. up on the internet!