Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BC & Autoimmune Diseases: How many? What does the research say?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• cyathea
    cyathea Member Posts: 330
    Options

Jumping in late to this thread to say that I have Grave’s Disease. I took methimazole for 15+ years and then my thyroid function came back to normal. At some point it will probably become hypothyroid.

My thyroid remained normal all through chemo and radiation. I was very happy that my Grave’s Eye Disease didn’t show up again.

Now I’m wondering whether an autoimmune issue is causing my blood issues or whether it’s from Tamoxifen or the Moderna vaccine

• luttkaren
    luttkaren Member Posts: 1
    Options

I was diagnosed with breast cancer August 2021. It was stage 1 with no lymph node involvement. I under went double mastectomy, ovaries removed and started letrozole and sometimes infusions twice a year. In the spring of 2022 (2 months after my reconstruction surgery and 4 months after staring letrozole) I started having stiffness in my fingers. My onco tried several times of giving me “medication vacation” to see if the stiffness would stop, but it did not. Fast forward to March of this year, I was finally dx with Psoriatic Arthritis. We have tried multiple medications, but nothing has worked thus far. My onco is against a biologic, but Rheumatologist say I need it. I’m just wondering if anyone out there have been on a biologic after breast cancer. Since I’m only 2 years out from my breast cancer dx I very nervous about taking this medication.

• ssteig
    ssteig Member Posts: 4
    Options

I had breast cancer in 2011 and had Psoriatic Arthritis for many years prior to that. I resumed taking a biologic about 4 years after my cancer diagnosis and I remain cancer free. For me the benefits outweighed the risks of taking these drugs. PSA can cause long term damage to the joints. I started on Otezla, switched to Enbrel, and I am currently on Skyrizi.