Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TE/Implant OVER pectoral Can exercise, comfortable &NO RIPPLES!

Options

Comments

• littleblueflowers
    littleblueflowers Member Posts: 391
    Options

So much info going on on this thread! Its great! I have another question, for those of you who had fat grafting, what was the recovery like? Were you in compression at the donor site? Are there any little tricks to help convince the fat to take root in the new location? Thanks!!!! Xoxoxo

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

littleblue - I was in compression at the donor site only for 8 weeks, 24/7. High waisted Spanx with a snap crotch, only to be removed for showering. The first FG I had was the one that had the most fat harvested as it was being done to place fat above the implants in the upper pole, and it was a fairly large volume. I was pretty uncomfortable for about a week, but only really when getting up and down, or pulling the compression garment on and off. The pain was kind of on the surface of the skin and was a burning type of pain - pretty intense. After a week or so it felt more like 1,000 sit-up pain, but I could drive and move around. The two additional grafts I had involved much less fat harvesting and far less pain - it is directly proportionate. I was restricted to walking only for 8 weeks - no lifting (much like after MX/BMX), no gym, and no compression on the grafted site. Some people follow an angiogenic diet (foods that help establish a blood supply), but I don't know of many who have done that. Either the fat stays or it doesn't - it is one of those things. Have you talked to a PS who will do FG on your radiated skin prior to recon? If so, those grafts are usually smaller ones, in succession over time, and should be less painful.

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756
    Options

I agree with SpecialK, not too uncomfortable after about a week. The compression garment actually gives support so that you are not in much pain. i wish I had some tricks to make the fat stay, never had any luck that way. I do think that it is important that fat grafting be done by a PS who has experience with rads patients, if you've had rads.

• StaceySue2U
    StaceySue2U Member Posts: 83
    Options

Good grief! All these surgeries and long recoveries! 8 weeks in compression? 8 weeks light duty? Good Lord. I want all this junk to be OVER! I don't want to sacrifice my whole life to cancer and reconstruction.

• littleblueflowers
    Options

Thanks SpecialK and Macb! My PS is doing fat grafts on my radiated side prior to installing expanders. He says that will increase my odds of success quite a bit. He is recommending at least 2 grafts. I guess its kind of like oiling a leather purse to keep it supple lol. Wondering if I should get fat transfered from my stomachs or my saddle bags first?

• specialk
    Options

littleblue - the fat transferred for radiated skin is going to be pretty small amounts - you most likely will not notice any difference in the donor site afterward. Your PS will choose the location based on what they feel will provide the best aesthetics for the donor site - some docs don't like to use thighs as harvesting can leave dents. Mine liked the abdomen as he said it is the most forgiving.

Stacey - not everyone has fat grafting, you can definitely elect not to have it, and you may not need it - it is not a universal part of exchange or reconstruction surgery. It is done to correct problems, not necessarily as part and parcel of exchange.

• littleblueflowers
    Options

SpecialK- dang it! I really wanted a flat stomach out of this lol. My PS said he would transfer fat from either place, I'm just wondering which would be more painful. I have cats and a dog who love to get up on my chest for snuggling, so I'm trying to think how to armor myself against their paws!

• specialk
    Options

littleblue - both spots are somewhat uncomfortable, but again, it is dependent on how much fat is harvested. Since you need core muscles to move around the abdomen hurts a bit as you engage to get up and down, likewise, you use your legs when walking and getting up and down. The two smaller FG I had done that would be similar to yours for rads skin mitigation really did not hurt much - either spot will probably be similar. As I said, my PS preferred the abdomen because there tend to be fewer denting issues at the donor site.

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

This is a very interesting approach. Have any of your docs mentioned the encapusulation rate for this method vs the under the muscle method? I like to imagine the wierd pec action with the under the muscle approach is preventing encapsulation - but that is my own personal idea.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. Have a great weekend everyone!

• macb04
    Options

StaceySue2U, I was back to work in an office typejob in 7 to 10 days. Just no athletic activity for about 8 weeks in order to allow the transfered fat to settle in to its new location.

littleblueflowers, I had read somewhere that the thigh fat is slightly better at not being reabsorbed, but I don't know that this is true either. One time I did fat grafting with platelet rich plasma added to the grafted fat. I had slightly better response, less resorption, although not as much as I had hoped for, at least on the radiated area. I used that Platlet rich fat on a big dent I had from port removal. That leveled out that area perfectly. I didn't have rads on that side. Here is an article about that.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3631549/

farmerlucy, by encapsulation, I assume you mean capsular contracture. I think that over the pectoral implant reconstruction is new enough that there have not been any head to head comparisons with the traditional subpectoral method, I just know having done it both ways that it is So, very much more comfortable. I can not see or feel my implant at all.

• JessieJake
    JessieJake Member Posts: 170
    Options

farmerlucy, I am not always good at remembering specific details from conversations with my PS, but we did talked about capsular contracture if that's what you are indeed asking about.

My PS said something like, yes, under the muscle will have lower rates of this, but the above the muscle isn't that much more. In her own practice/research the risk of this is staring to decrease and newer methods/implants/etc... are helping. Her personal opinion to me was that this risk should be lower on the list of concerns I was using to make my decision.
    I originally was going to go below the muscle until we really talked out risks. Glad so far I'm above but I'm still filling my TEs.

I may ask again when I go in on Wednesday just to see what the NP says. I don't think I'll be seeing my PS unless my pressure point becomes more problematic.

I know I also want to ask how long I need to wear compression after fat grafting. We have a 2 week trip to the gulf coast in August (all beach, all day, every day!). This could be a serious damper on my beach wear!

Lastly, anyone have a suggestion on a bra that would support my TEs/foobs better? Because of that pressure point I have on the right side, they suggested this but my current "bras" are very stretchy in the cup.

Thanks!

• macb04
    Options

Hi JessieJake, my favorite bra is by Bali. I never wore that before bc, but wear it almost exclusively since then. Looks nicest under clothes, is wirefree, lightly padded and comes in a really nice selection of colors. Also I like that the shoulder straps are slightly inset, so is less likely to slide off of my shoulder, a problem I had frequently with other bras in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/Bali-Womens-Comfort-Revolution-Wirefree/dp/B00550R2I8

How are you doing MrsGreenJeans? Hope you are still healing well.

• JessieJake
    Options

macb04, thanks for the suggestion. That is actually a pretty decent looking bra! Love it when straps are inset. I also had a problem with them falling down. Not attractive!

Found pretty good prices on the hanes web site for their bras. Free shipping with over $60. That shouldn't be too difficult.

Hope all is going well for everyone. I had my 4th fill today to bring me to 170cc in each TE. I might do one more in 2 weeks but then I'm done. My pressure point on the right side did not improve with this fill as hoped, but the skin is looking good. Hoping for a good night's sleep. It's been rough since my last fill. Somehow causing pressure on my left side that wakes me up in pain.

• macb04
    Options

Hey JessieJake, sorry to hear you are being awoken out sleep due to pain. Would an antinflammatory at bedtime be of help? Perhaps a topical antinflammatory prescription cream like Voltaren? Also I always felt better after using a hot pack, although I am sure you have tried much of that already.

• JessieJake
    Options

Thanks macb04, I haven't tried anything but pillows and tossing/turning...well, as much tossing and turning as you can with TEs. Not sure why I haven't thought to do that considering one night I couldn't get comfortable to even fall asleep. I'll look into the cream, too. I haven't heard of that before.

We'll see how tonight goes!

• StaceySue2U
    Options

I got two very comfortable sports bras today. One is a Nike one I got from Dick's Sporting Goods for $20. I went to Walmart after Dick's and found a similar one on clearance for $5. It had removable pads in it and when I took the pads out I saw how closely it resembles the Nike one.

• macb04
    Options

How are all of you OVER the pectoral implant sisters doing.??? I am doing well, have appointment scheduled for 3D nipple tattooing with Vinnie Myers in CALIFORNIA on June 9th!!!

• JessieJake
    Options

macb04, well, fun that you get to go to sunny California for your tattoos. Interested to see how that goes. Is that a newer procedure (hence having to go to CA?) Good luck!

I'm doing so much better. I had posted about that nighttime pain that was traveling into my back. Well, since my last fill it is gone. I still had it the first night after the fill, but then wham, nothing since. Like, really nothing. Like, I am almost not thinking about my TEs throughout the day at all. It's the craziest thing. I've been going a little harder with being physical, too. Again, I think above the muscle is giving me that freedom. Who is that posted that fills do often help because it lifts your TE up off your chest wall some? I think that's what's happening. After my last fill I felt they were heavy (LOL, I'm toting only 170cc in each, I could only imagine the heaviness for those with hundreds in their TEs), but now I'm not even noticing that heaviness much.

I still have my pokey spot on the lower right, but it is not changing which is a good sign. However, it still means my exchange will happen in June (supposed to be 6/22, but just looked at my papers and they accidentally put 6/20) instead of September. I'm ok with that, although, I know the PS wanted to allow longer for scar tissue to build. So I have that slight concern because we are now being forced to do it earlier. I'll just have to be more conscientious about not overdoing anything during the activity restriction time.

Funny how things happen in clusters. I was reading about another member's DH who is having heart issues and thinking it's not fair that both would have to deal with medical things at one time. Well, I'll add my family to that, too. My DH is meeting with a surgeon today to talk about surgery for his torn meniscus. We are trying to determine how to fit both our surgeries in to avoid both being invalids at the same time. LOL, I said we would at least make one whole person. He'd have his upper body and I will have my lower body!

Hope things are also going well for others!

• MrsGreenJeans
    MrsGreenJeans Member Posts: 17
    Options

Just checking in ladies. I am almost two weeks post exchange/fat grafting. Had some major bruising on my thighs, but minimal on abdomen and breast area.

Thankfully the pain from the fat donor sites is lessening. It mostly hurts to the touch now, except the ab still hurts a bit when I get up from a sitting position. Otherwise, my healing is going well. Very little lightheadedness unlike after MX. I had it really bad then, took a good 6 weeks to go away.

I do see some denting and rippling in both upper poles. Time will tell, but I suspect I may have to do more fat grafting if I want to correct those issues. It mostly shows up when I bend forward.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll check in again later.

• macb04
    Options

Hi MrsGreenJeans. Glad to hear you are on the mend. Did you get acellular dermal matrix stuff? Sorry to hear you have some rippling /dents. Hope that subsides, but sometimes more fat grafting in those spots can help.

Hi JessieJake, yes going for a very lifelike, matching 3 dimensional tatoo nipple/areola on my left breast. I was told they will also tattoo my real right nipple, which sounds painful, in order to make it match. They will have me use a numbing cream when they do it, but still, I am not someone who would have gotten a tattoo otherwise. Glad that painful spot just went away for you. You will be ok, it will be a relieffor you to be done.

• JessieJake
    Options

Good report MrsGreenJeans! I'll be curious what you learn about those areas of denting/rippling.

macb04, oh yeah, that does sound painful! Goodness the numbing cream will be a good, good thing! I understand what you mean about not being someone who would otherwise be getting tattoos and here you are not only getting tattoos but nipple tattoos!

• StaceySue2U
    Options

I'm doing great. It's been about four weeks since my revision and it looks like my scarring will be very minimal. They're filling me much more slowly this time. They had to take 50cc out of one side during the revision and now I have 430 in the left and 480 in the right. I haven't seen anybody mention this - do you all have numbness in the backs of your arms and the skin over your shoulder blades? I've had it since my BMX and I think it's improving.

• littleblueflowers
    Options

Ok ladies, going in for my first fat grafting tomorrow to try to heal my rads damage so I can get reconstructed. Wish me luck!

• JessieJake
    Options

Best wishes littleblueflowers! Hope there is little pain and you look quite svelte afterwards. Let us know how it goes!

StaceySue2U, I don't think you've mentioned that numbness before. I don't/didn't have numbness to that extent. Wonder if they got some additional nerves serving those areas? It's probably a great sign that you are noticing improvement. Did you ask the doctor?

I did have pain after a fill that radiated around my side to my shoulder blade so I can see how there is a relationship between the areas.

Hope all else is still going better for you.

• macb04
    Options

Hi littleblueflowers, I join all here wishing you the best healing. Please remember to considerably increase your Vitamin C and Zinc after your procedure to heal faster. I had problems with infection on the rad side, so be vigilant. Good Luck!

Hi StaceySue2U, I noticed going numb only after sleeping on my back. It happened intermittently in the first 6 months afterwards. I even saw a neurologist for it. He thought there some slight compression of the nerves by pooling fluid/residual swelling when I was on my back. I then started to use a small bolster pillow lengthwise under my back to tilt me slightly so I wasn't sleeping completely flat on my back. Also I had my husband stroke firmly on my back, downward from my shoulders, over my shoulderblade toward my lower back.He would do that for about 5 minutes on my left , affected side mostly. Daytimes I would notice that area in my back was achy. I had severe rads damage. They burnt me straight through to my back. They gave me really severe radiation fibrosis(that ole Iron Bra feeling ). It is better now, got alot of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, plus Pentoxifylline /Vitamin E, and fat grafting. That weird pain/swelling thingin my upper back periodically reoccurs, but goes away with that lymph massage technique I have my husband do for me., because, obviously I can't reach that area myself. That helped alot,and fairly soon after that the numbness went away.

• littleblueflowers
    Options

Thanks ladies! Round 1 was very easy- 45 minutes and done. I'm not feeling anything more than extremely minor soreness. Now my surgeon said it was my choice if I wanted to use compression on the donor sites or not. I am wearing spanx. Does anyone know why compression helps?

Thanks! I started bumping the vit c last week, and I'll add zinc and pro biotic since they have me on prophylactic antibiotics. In 48 hours in can go back to my regular supplement routien. Any suggestions on how to detox from anesthesia? Thanks so much!

• specialk
    Options

littleblue - the reason for compression is because as the surgeon moves the cannula in and out harvesting fat it is actually making tunnels. Those tunnels can fill with fluid if they are not compressed, and you can also have lumps or seromas form, particularly if the abdomen is the donor site. You might want to use some topical arnica (I used Arnicare), it helps with any bruising, also eat as much protein as you can stand (aim for 100g daily), and eat some pineapple or take some bromelaine supplements. I second the zinc recommendation. Fluids and walking to increase oxygen intake can help get rid of the anesthesia hangover.

• littleblueflowers
    Options

Awesome, Specialk! Thanks so much for the info. That makes sense, I think I will keep the spanx on then. Time for a walk around the block....I'm still a little loopy :)

• specialk
    Options

littleblue - just be careful on the walk! I actually found that other than putting the compression on and taking it off - which stung a little - it actually was more comfortable wearing it than not.

• macb04
    Options

Hi littleblueflowers, great news that you are feeling pretty good post op. I agree with SpecialK about the Arnica and Bromelain from Pineapple . I also like Milk Thistle for support of your liver which has to detox all that anesthetic. Here is a good article about this by Dr Sinatra, the cardiologist. Hope you recover really well.

http://www.drsinatra.com/maximizing-the-surgery-recovery-process/