Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TE/Implant OVER pectoral Can exercise, comfortable &NO RIPPLES!

Options

Comments

• willa216
    willa216 Member Posts: 162
    Options

VegGal and Macb04:  Thank you!

I appreciate all these details. Yes, it is going to be really challenging to pursue another attempt at a pre-pec implant.  I am just frozen with indecision.

I've been  reading about the laser therapy treatments for CC. I wish I would have tried that before this last CC became so severe.   I didn't have rads.   It sounds like you have done well with the Pentoxfylline and E.  So great to hear you have had luck.  I hope you're feeling good and happy with your  reconstruction.

The vitamin C is interesting to me though at each explant /revision there was no sign of any bacteria at all. I think my body just passionately despises implants.  

Anyway, thanks  so much for your kind and thoughtful response.  It is  much more than I have heard from any PS consult.  

Take care.

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756
    Options

Best of luck Willa. I can't exactly say I am happy with my reconstruction because the last PS screwed up and put an implant in that was about 150cc too small, like a freaking moron. He then cut away the extra skin I spent months slowly, painfully creating with a TE.

I tried to fix it, ( he insisted I pay the surgery fees not covered by insurance, wouldn't admit he screwed up) I just wanted to look better. That was surgery number 17 in four years. I had had enough.

So I look normal in clothes, just can't stand the lopsided look when nude, but whatever.

• jrnj
    jrnj Member Posts: 407
    Options

Does over the muscle make it harder to find a recurrence? This is really bothering me because all my drs are saying no more scans. If you have a lump under the implant how would it be found?

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    Options

It does make it harder to find recurrences.

• simonerc
    simonerc Member Posts: 154
    Options

The protocol where I am being treated, an NCI hospital, is MRI every 2 - 3 years to check the integrity of the implant, which should also show if anything is brewing under the implants. My tumor was closer to the skin than the chest wall and margins were good.

• jrnj
    Options

Mine was by the armpit. I’m planning saline and I don’t think they do mris for that. I’m actually considering silicone just to get the mris but probably will go with saline. The system is twisted.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    LiveLoveLaugh2020 Member Posts: 173
    Options

I had bil pre pec implant exchange with fat grafting a week and a half ago. I do have rippling on one side which I never had with those dreaded expanders. Any pre pec with rippling? My implants look good/natural besides the rippling. My PS said he was only able to get very little fat as I'm very thin. I'm guessing that's why along with my thin skin? I don't see him for another 2 weeks.

• OCDAmy
    OCDAmy Member Posts: 289
    Options

JRNJ, my PS said MRI every three years to check on the implant and that wouldfind any cancer.

• OCDAmy
    Options

Live, I had rippling and had to have some fat grafting. I also needed a second surgery to move the implant up higher and that really did the trick.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

I too get nervous about that, wish we could have yearly screening.

OCD..thanks for your response. I'm hoping I just need one more FG but I'll see what PS says. Did you have rippling when you had the expanders? Also did they recommend 24/7 compression bra? I was given one with those instructions.

• OCDAmy
    Options

Live, I was put in a surgical bra after surgery and had to wear it 24-7. My PS had me in a bra 24-7 for quite some time. I did not have rippling in TE but mine was under the muscle. I’m surprised at the number of women in here who have no rippling with a pre pec implant.

• jrnj
    Options

ocdamy. Thanks. I don’t think they do mris for saline. I have a consult tomorrow. I’ll ask. Love the name, I’m extremely ocd.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

It's great for those who don't. Guess I was caught off guard because of the fact that I had no rippling with the expanders.

• macb04
    Options

I had 5 sessions of Fat Grafting before getting the TE Prepectoral and then the implant. I lost most of the fat twice due to massive infections ( a cups worth of pus drained off my chest each infection) . I had all of those infections when I couldn't afford to get IV Vitamin C the day after the surgery, and because of the hugely, destructive radiation damage the bc industry gave me interfered with healing.

I have no animation deformity or rippling. Some of my grafted fat survived

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

Wow, sorry you had to go through all of that! But glad you're happy with your results now.

• macb04
    Options

Wouldn't say happy with my result. Lopsided because the PS screwed up Big Time and put in an implant about 150cc too small to match the other size. So I redid it, 3 months later, at my expense. He also chopped off the extra skin I spent 6 months creating with the TE, so he couldn't fit the matching size of implant. He put in a bigger implant that is still about 75cc too small to match and look symmetrical.

So long story short, 15 Reconstruction surgeries later, I am still Lopsided. I am ok in clothes, but look somewhat f*cked up nude and never look at myself in the mirror. I would have to have to have another one or two surgeries to fix that, and I am, frankly weary to the bone of the whole stupid, stinking mess. I will never trust another doctor so long as I live.

No happy endings here.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

Oh man...I'm so sorry. That's terrible, you deserve to be happy after everything you've been through.

• simonerc
    Options

LiveLoveLaugh2020,

Hi again! I have had fat grafting two times. Once at my first exchange. A second time 3 months after my second exchange. I am thin with zero fat up top, very thin skin and thin mastectomy flaps (which is good from a trying not to have a local recurrence point of view😃). I have a little bit of rippling on the top of my right implant and a little on the side. Guess what... I will take it! Way better than having cancer. They amputated my breasts. It’s not just a “boob job”. They look way better than I expected and I feel lucky not to have animation deformation and to have full use of my arms and shoulders. I know some people’s outcomes are worse so I count my blessings! My PS did say that down the road the rippling could become more pronounced and I could do more fat grafting. I have almost no fat so it would be pizza time for a bit beforehand if it comes down to it.

After reading this back, adding - not trying to make you or anyone feel bad. My experience luckily has been pretty good. I am personally ok with it being not perfect given the circumstances!

Take care and keep us posted!

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

Hi Simone. I tried pizza time it didn't work, guess I'll have to try harder for the next round. I am by no means looking for perfection and I count my blessings as well believe me. Our original boobs weren't perfect and nothing is. I am happy with my results so far and was just wondering if other skinnies are going through the same thing. This is all new to me.

• macb04
    Options

I appreciate the kind sentiments LiveLoveLaugh. I manage ok, just don't feel like I can say I am happy with the lopsided result after so much expense and suffering. We all certainly deserve competence, which I most certainly did not get.

I do want to take doctors off the list if they make giant mistakes like mine. I took his name off for sure.

• macb04
    Options

I am glad you are doing relatively well SimoneRC. You deserve to be content with a result you can live with.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

You're welcome. It's just horrible because after everything we've been through we deserve to be happy/content.

• simonerc
    Options

LiveLoveLaugh2020,

You are soooo not alone!!!

Your sister in light rippleness

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

I meant for Macb that's terrible and no one should have to go through that many procedures. You are one tough lady! And thank you Simone! You are not alone either :)

• simonerc
    Options

Thanks macb04 and so sorry your journey has been rough!

• macb04
    Options

• Andraxo
    Andraxo Member Posts: 168
    Options

I also am very lean/athletic build and had ripples with my pre-pecs. I could also see/feel the edges and even get my fingers under the edges except for the bottom edges and the laterally on radiated side. Not a candidate for fat grafting for the amount needed and I wasn't willing to gain weight for it. Besides, I'd rather save any fat for harvesting stem cells for joint injections later when that science is better! :) I explanted 10 weeks ago though and am flat now. He was going to swap out the now FDA banned implants for smooth rounds but they looked awful in the OR so he went with plan B that we discussed before surgery, which was flat. I found implants to be a hassle/annoying (both how they felt and looked) didn't realize how much I really didn't like them until all these weeks past having them removed. Much happier! I hope all of you get the results you want or at least can live contently with, and are happy! xo

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    Options

Macb - I too am really sorry to hear all the difficulties you've had with your reconstruction.

But I don't understand why you had to redo "...it, 3 months later, at my expense."

My surgeon told me that in the US we are entitled to as many surgeries as we need, and that all should be covered by insurance.

• macb04
    Options

I had the first, screwed up exchange from TE to wrong implant in December. Then had the 2nd exchange to a bigger, but still wrong, still too small TE in March, 3 months later. I had to spend about $3,000 per surgery out of pocket because my husbands insurance had a fairly high deductible.

So that was $6,000 out of pocket ( in a 3 month span of time) to still have an embarrassing, lopsided result. The law is fairly useless that way. High deductible insurance means women like me are screwed over and impoverished every day just trying to look halfway normal. I think it's a travesty of justice, and I am still really pissed at dr bryan mcintosh over my result. At the very least, since he screwed up royally, he should have done his part for free. Too late to sue.

That's why I took his name off the list. I don't want to send women to any doctor who makes terrible mistakes and won't own up to it.

• LiveLoveLaugh2020
    Options

Mac that's terrible. I totally get what you're saying as I have a high deductible plan as well. I think sadly majority of people do unless your one of the lucky few to still have great insurance/low deductible plan.