Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Probiotics PRO OR CON?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Member Posts: 5
edited February 2016 in Working on Your Fitness

I don't know where to post this, so decided to try here.

I need some input about probiotics. I have read everything I can and all articles are about the same. It seems that the research is not definite so I would like to hear your experiences.

My questions are. Do you take it every day? How much? Did you, or do you get a cough with it, canker sores, feel better at first then nausea.

I am taking a high quality refrigerated one called Florajen3.

I have had ibs D for years, but after 4 surgeries since May, and multiple antibiotics my digestion and gut are a mess.

I am hyper sensitive to all meds and supplements. I can not even take much in vitamins-- just the bare minimum.

I took the Florajen3 for 6 days, nothing else different. I feel better over all but have canker sores, dry cough, and still some nausea every day. This all since starting it.

Any input would be appreciated, pro or con from you that have experience with probiotics.

JO-5

Comments

• Obxflygirl1
    Obxflygirl1 Member Posts: 106
    edited January 2016

I take it every day with no side effects

• DaisyQ
    DaisyQ Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2016

Hi Jo,

I started taking a probiotic in October after many rounds of antibiotics from recon surgery, subsequent infection, recurring bladder infections, and then sinus infection.. My gut was a mess. It was recommended by my PCP and Urologist. I am taking Whole Foods Probiotic Complex Double Strength 1 tablet/day. I have not noticed any negative side effects.

Hope this helps.

Amy

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited January 2016

I also started taking probiotics after a bout with diverticulitis plus had Lyme dx and took antibiotics. My understanding is our gut health is critical to our immune system and I will continue to take probiotics. I've had no issues with various brands I've used.

• Englishmummy
    Englishmummy Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2016

Hi Joanne,

I take a coconut probiotic and have done religiously since my dx. I took it haphazardly prior although I ensured my children took it daily. I find I have less allergies, and even when the others in the household are sick - I rarely am and if I am it leaves very quickly, but in all honesty even my children are rarely sick and at most it is for 3/4 days at the very most - more usual is a couple of days. The biggest thing I've noted, is my eldest daughter had eczema, since she was about 6mths old - but after 3 months on the probiotic (at age 11), it cleared up completely - better than when she used the steriod cream prescribed. 2 years later it is completely gone and she's had no flare ups. Now, I am not marketing a miracle, these are just my observations - it could be she grew out of the eczema? She wasn't taking it a few months back(didn't like the 'flavour' the store had at that time - it is a small batch liquid), and she started getting mild acne on her forehead. So she started back on the 'probies', as the children refer to it and within a week it was gone, coincidence? Perhaps, but even if it is I think gut health is vitally important and a good quality probiotic is money well spent, especially if you consume little or no yogurt/kefir. I know for sure it helps maintain regularityMedicatingSome research links B.C. (and other cancers) and gut microbes, I think it was Sas or Falleaves that posted about it. I'd have to search it out. I would say you'd need to take it for 3 months to see any real benefits/improvement, but that's just my very unmedical opinion! I also like this book. It talks about Prebiotics as well as probiotics, there needs to be a balance. I am not an Amazon affiliate, merely posting the link:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0578026155/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_2243581662?_encoding=UTF8&ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_50&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The book gives you dietery information - I am not sure what restrictions ibs may give you, but perhaps you could bolster the gut microbes via diet and drop the probiotic?At the very least it is an interesting read. We do both now, supplement and diet.

• Englishmummy
    edited January 2016

forgot to mention I take a tablespoon. Also, I am not sure if you have ever tried 'Kudzu', it is somewhat like arrowroot but very soothing for the gut.My BIL has severe ulcerative colitis, he eats some kind of kudzu pudding daily- swears it makes a difference, my children love it. I have recipes if you wish?

Edit: for changes made by spell check!

• Englishmummy
    edited January 2016

Joanne, have you been checked for an overgrowth of Candida? That can apparently cause a cough (and a white coating on the tongue.) amongst other things. Very common after several rounds of AB's. Sometimes taking a probiotic can make them flourish before it kills the Candida bugs off. I have read that vitamin allergies are likely the supplemental ingredients, not the actual vitamin itself. Supposedly a reaction is quite common with vit C - it kick starts a somewhat dormant immune system and that system starts to recognize toxins which produces an allergy-like reaction (rash, itching, sore throat) at about the 5-10 day mark, as it kicks in to gear. Everything I've read says start at 200mg and work up, but as you have sensitivities to many things you would want it as pure as possible. Again, just a layperson relaying information gathered from years of reading up on this stuff!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited January 2016

Jo, aside from the probiotic question (and yes, I have one on hand and do take it occasionally, but do better with yogurt)... But have you ever tried eliminating wheat for your IBS issues? I'm asking because I'd suffered with sometimes very severe IBS for years, and when I finally got tested (blood test done by a naturopathic doctor), I learned I was highly sensitive to wheat -- not celiac, per se -- but similar reaction when I eat wheat. I had suspected this for several years, but always thought it was eating too much of it or eating it with oil (like deep fried coating on fish, etc.) that caused my problems. I had no idea I was so sensitive to it that I shouldn't eat it at all. Anyway, just a thought. And for you it might be something else -- another food -- that's causing the problem.

• Englishmummy
    edited January 2016

They can test for Candida in many ways - blood, culture, stool and urine samples, any would all yield results so it would be down to whatever the you and the Dr preferred. It's possible that you have already had this done but not all allopathic Dr's do it so I'll mention anyways - I only know about it because my SIL just had hers done along with the culture for candida - C-Reative Protein test (CRP).She got both tests done at her PCP who is a DO but still a regular Doc. Her candida was normal but her CRP was very high and apparently that indicates inflammation in the body. Like you, she has sensitivities to many, many things along with allergies during every season. To couple with what DBL said above, they told her to limit/remove gluten, fried foods, and dairy. She has been doing it for a month and says she feels better than she has in years, fewer aches and pains, clearer skin, sleeping better, less reactions - for her it's worked out so good she doubts she'll reintroduce them again. She gets retested at the 3 month point....so we'll see what the CRP reads then.

• Englishmummy
    edited January 2016

I certainly don't think you sound like a nut job - I firmly believe Dr's don't have all the answers. I don't blame you for being scared to try supplements.I think a lot of them are junk and we aren't privvy to know which are and which aren't - why put yourself out there when you know that your system is senstive? Having said that, I wouldn't be afraid of a Naturopath, although I would definitely research who to go to. As always, even if they tell you something you don't have to try it - but they do often see what a regular Dr just doesn't....Will you follow up and let us know if you notice any changes or get any new results?

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited January 2016

Jo, what makes your doctor say you do not have celiac disease? Did he test you? Is he aware that you can have an intolerance to wheat or other glutens and still not be celiac? Wheat is the only grain I have an issue with. I can eat oats, barley, etc., which true celiacs cannot. So not being celiac doesn't rule out a problem with wheat, and if you've suspected it, you're probably onto something. I also have a problem with too much dairy (which I don't do anyway) and white potatoes. My test didn't show a problem with potatoes, but my digestive system still rebels when I eat them.

Anyway, the test I had is the IGg Food Antibody Assessment. And I don't know why you would need to take supplements just b'cuz an ND or someone recommends them. Having that information (possible nutritional deficiencies) as well could also be helpful, but I would think you could find someone to do just the antibody test for now, if you're interested.

https://www.gdx.net/product/igg-food-antibodies-fo...

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,183
    edited February 2016

I used to take Schiff's probiotic gummies till I found out they have only a couple billion cells, and a narrow spectrum at that. “TruBiotics" is even more of a joke. For a while I was taking Ultimate Flora senior formula with 30 billion, but it was not a very wide spectrum and needed refrigeration. I switched to PerfectBiotics--also 30 billion cells, but capsules are shelf-stable, non-allergenic fillers, vegan, gluten-free and have a wider variety of cultures. No side effects except my bowels aren't as hair-trigger as before--I have only a couple of normal movements per day now. I recently had two courses of antibiotics: Keflex in Dec. for a sebaceous cyst, doxycycline a couple weeks ago for bacterial sinusitis/bronchitis. I also have to take clindamycin before all dental procedures (even cleanings), so keeping my gut flora to the proper proportions is very important to me. It's probably one of the reasons I'm (for now) holding my weight steady on letrozole.

IMHO, there are no downsides to taking a good probiotic. Also, eating fermented foods--like raw sauerkraut, kimchi (if you can handle the spice), homemade or Greek yogurt w/o fillers or sugar, sourdough bread if carbs & whear aren't a problem (and some say microbrewed beer & ale)--go a long way towards maintaining a healthy gut.

• coffeelatte
    coffeelatte Member Posts: 107
    edited February 2016

Joanne, you sound a lot like me. I struggle so much with my sensitive stomach and IBS it is exhausting. I too have been prescribed Florajen3 by my gynecologist but it sits in my refrigerator because I do not feel well when I take it. I was even opening the capsules and shaking out about half the contents, then putting them back together to take, but I still felt nausea and itchy when I take them. I am also severely lactose intolerant and I am allergic to about every medication under the sun. It makes it hard for my treating doctors to prescribe medication for me because I tend to break out in hives and a rash with most.

I just started with a new gastroenterologist last fall (due to insurance change) and had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy. Besides two small polyps, nothing else unusual was noted (like you no celiac) so my IBS diagnosis still stands. The gastro doctor had me meet with his NP to discuss my ongoing symptoms. She has recommended I try a FODMAP diet to manage the IBS. She said they are seeing good results in their practice with this diet regime. So also said that along with my lactose intolerance it is most likely I am also dealing with fructose malabsorption. If you have not heard of this, please look it up. I have read (different sites so can't document) about 75% of the folks with IBS have different levels of fructose malabsorption and that lactose intolerance folks seem to suffer with fructose malabsorption more often (lucky us). I had never heard of it but after doing some research, I feel I am definitely bothered by fructose. My tip was this summer when I kept getting sick (nausea) after drinking tea. I always put honey in my tea and when I tried omitting the honey, the nausea went away. I now use regular sugar and can drink the tea. Apples also make me double up as they are very high in fructose.

Anyway, I am going to meet with a dietician tomorrow to go over the FODMAP plan. I need the extra help because it is very limiting and I already struggle with the lack of dairy in my diet. I just wanted to throw this information your way in case it may be of help. IBS is exhausting to try and figure out.

• Manu14
    Manu14 Member Posts: 36
    edited February 2016

JO-5, I'm sorry for all the discomfort you're having. While I don't have a history of IBS, I recently developed a really messed up gut and digestive system after taking four rounds of antibiotics in 6 months for various problems. I also have a history of allergic reactions to a number of antibiotics and sensitivities to some supplements.

By trial and error I've found the following a significant help to me: plain low-fat grassmilk yogurt each morning; sipping kombucha ( a probiotic drink in a variety of flavors) periodically through the day; an Essential Enzymes capsule by Source Naturals with each meal ( a great help); and sipping a cup of slippery elm tea when things are really bad. I whisk 1 teaspoon of organic slippery elm powder into 2 cups of almost boiling water and add a tsp. of sugar or honey. Natural sources of probiotics like yogurt or the fermented kombucha seem to work better for me than pills. It can be helpful to slowly ramp up the amount of probiotoc you consume. Too much at the beginning can cause discomfort.And I feel the digestive enzymes have really helped me. Not saying this will help your situation but wanted to share my experience

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited February 2016

Chisandy I am taking PerfectBiotics since last summer. I'm not sure if they've made a difference though with three surgeries two root canalappts, a sinus infection for two weeks, mouth sores out of nowhere for two weeks. It's been one heck of a winter trying to stay on a routine!