Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did you stop alcohol drinking?

Options

Comments

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited July 2017
    Options

Enjoy yourselves best medicine is to be happy but not to over do it.

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2017
    Options

I attend a symposium each year for breast cancer survivors. Someone always asks the question regarding alcohol and the answer had been that a glass was ok and that dry wine was better than sweet wine. After a report on alcohol came out this year I asked my oncologist about drinking, preparing to give it up completely. He said "everything in moderation".  I have decided to have a glass of wine if attending a wedding and occasionally when having dinner with friends. I stopped keep wine at home and this limits consumption. 

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2017
    Options

Amen Joni. My motto too everything in moderation.

Diane

• claireinaz
    claireinaz Member Posts: 679
    edited July 2017
    Options

Regarding the linked article above posted by asher, here's the full write-up, which is quite interesting. Among others, it seems "educated" women drink more than their counterparts. What I read from this article is that there really isn't, according to this research, much of a diff in survival among drinkers than non-drinkers. But the article pointed out the weaknesses in their research, too. It was an interesting read.

http://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/jco.2012.46.5...

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thanks, Claire. I'll check it out.

As far as drinking, from what I've read over the years, there may be a correlation for SOME women. I tend to take all of this with a grain of salt. I know several women who were tea totalers, vegans, yoga enthusiasts who ate "clean," etc., and they STILL got cancer even tho they never touched a drop.

I also know women in their late 70s who religiously have their gin and tonics or their martinis every night (not a pitcher, mind you, but one or two drinks) and they're totally fine. No BC, no ANY type of cancer.

Not going on a rant here, suffice to say that once again it's always a crap shoot. And the next woman steps off a curb at the wrong time and gets run over by a bus. And another gets killed by a hit-and-run drunk driver. Call it fatalism, call it what ever you want, but when your number's up, your number's up. When you read the statistics, they all say "X" percent of women will have an increased risk if they drink and possibly get cancer at some point in their lives. What about that other, larger percent that won't no matter how much they drink? I took statistics in college, and Prof. Witte (gees, I still remember his name - guess I still have a few brain cells left after all the chemo), said it's very easy to manipulate data and creatively interpret mean, mode, and median averages, and then you have standard deviations, etc. A savvy statistician could say tea totalers, vegans, and yoga enthusiasts have a higher risk of getting cancer, too! It's the "one variable" correlation analysis. There are always more variables in a problem then we realize. As the old saying going, even a broken clock tells the correct time twice a day.

I still have a glass of wine or two during my off-cycle week, and I will continue to do so. I enjoy a glass of Chard on the backyard patio, or a nice Zin with a steak, and I'm not going to stop. It's part of my culture (half Italian) and part of my Quality of Life. I'm Stage IV, and I'm going to transition anyway regardless of whether or not I completely stop drinking wine.

Nerdy

• Labtech47
    Labtech47 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2017
    Options

I love my beer! I would have a beer every evening after getting my dinner dishes done. After I was diagnosed in March, I didn't drink anything until 2 weeks ago. I am on 30 of my 35 Rads and started back to a beer every other evening. I am going to a wedding reception this weekend and plan to have a few beers. 😀

I don't think I can give up my beer totally. I enjoy it too much!

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited July 2017
    Options

Labtech, my great grandmother would have a glass of beer everynight at 10pm. I think it helped her sleep she lived to 100 no cancer.

• Bellapam
    Bellapam Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Options

I don't really drink much, maybe a little wine on the holidays (i still have leftover gluevine from this past Christmas). However, I have been considering taking up "moderate" drinking and trying marijuana since the lump appeared! 🐙

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2017
    Options

Bella I see you're new to the boards. At this point I'm praying you'll be b9 or not cancer. I know how stressful this period is having been through it myself. Hugs

• BucsGirl
    BucsGirl Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2017
    Options

I love beer! I was trying a different local craft beer once a week before being diagnosed (Funky Buddha, Cigar City, Coppertail, etc.). I did this for about a year. We also went to Puerto Rico and drank a lot of rum drinks. My mother also makes this drink called "coquito" every year for Christmas (not this year). Scared

I didn't really think anything about it. I've never been big on alcoholic drinks until last year. I was diagnosed at the end of September. My husband asked me to stop after we read the articles about avoiding alcohol. I asked my MO about it the other day. He said he didn't want me drinking alcohol right now (not even occasionally). I think he meant during treatment. I may have to clarify that with him on my next visit. Especially after reading some of these recent articles.

I have to be honest. I still wonder if the alcohol consumption made it worse that year. Oh, and I did stop drinking after being diagnosed.

• ellentk
    ellentk Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Options

These links seem to indicate that one glass of wine a day is okay. I wonder why that result was only in the supplemental data and not included in the original study. Does anyone know

http://winefolly.com/update/wine-vs-breast-cancer-...

https://breastcancer-news.com/2017/01/25/wine-beer-friend-foe-breast-cancer/

• Lita57
    edited July 2017
    Options

Tampa, I don't think trying a different beer or beers once a week or even twice a week is going to bring on cancer.

I'm hoping that one day they'll find some sort of gene, such as the "if you drink, you'll get bc" gene. Then young women can get tested and live their lives accordingly.Not everyone who drinks actually gets cancer, and we all know plenty of women who never drank or smoked and they STILL got cancer.

• BucsGirl
    edited July 2017
    Options

Lita, I agree with you because it sounds more logical. I just wonder sometimes about it, and only because I consumed more alcohol that year than any other year. I don't think it was the cause of it either. As you said, there are many people who don't drink or smoke that get the big C.

I like the idea of finding a gene to see if there's a genetic predisposition for cancer when consuming alcohol. I mean, some people have that predisposition that runs in their family for Type 2 Diabetes (if they eat or drink certain foods that are deemed bad for a diabetic). I know it would make me feel more comfortable about drinking again. Actually, I'm already feeling more comfortable about it (after reading all of this). I just need to wait until after treatment (once my MO clears it). I'm thinking it's because I'm still taking Herceptin.

• BucsGirl
    edited July 2017
    Options

Okay, I'm going to be super duper honest with you about my alcohol consumption last year. Happy

They opened a Total Wine near my house. I found certain things that I hadn't seen before since my travels in Europe. I drank shots of Becherovka and Anís del Mono with my mother. It calmed my nerves. I also tried a French aperitif wine called Lillet Blanc. Yes, I bought a bottle of each. I like sweet wines and aperitifs, but all of these alcoholic beverages had a high ABV. The latter one was at 17%...LOL!

I'd like to get back to exploring different beverages one day soon. Oh, I love this topic!

• Lita57
    edited July 2017
    Options

Tampa, I think MOs don't want us to drink when we initially go on chemo because of chemo's hammering of the liver.

Your liver is dealing with a LOT as it tries to clear the toxins out of your system. I didn't drink for about 7 mos when I was first Dx'd. I'm Stage IV, so I'll be on some sort of treatment for the rest of my life.

My MO ok'd me to drink "occasionally" after two scans showed mostly stability with only mild progression in the spine, ribs and pelvis, which is to be expected given my massive tumor load. So she cleared me as in maybe a glass or two for birthday, anniversary, holidays. But certainly not a glass of wine every night, which I honestly was doing b4 Dx. I love my Chardonnays and an occasional Zinfandel, but I don't drink at all during the "on-weeks" of my Xeloda pill-form chemo cycles. I will let myself have a glass or two on the "off week," making sure to drinks LOTS of water to help flush the liver and kidneys.

It's all about quality of life for me. I know when my liver gets worse (I have stable, inactive tumors there, for now), I will have to give it up for good, and at that point in the Stage IV metastatic game, I'll be ready to die.

• Freya
    Freya Member Posts: 329
    edited July 2017
    Options

I've always enjoyed a drink. Not the rolling down drunk type, but a glass or two of something on the deck or with dinner. I didn't stop when dxd, everything in moderation is my mantra, whether it is food or drink.

My body has decided it doesn't like alcohol anymore though. It started a couple of months before my liver mets dx. This year I have tried a mouthful of wine on a couple of occasions, managed 2 mouthfuls of beer and a sip of a G & T. None of it went down well, so I have decided to not fight against it.

• BucsGirl
    edited July 2017
    Options

Lita, you're an amazing woman!! I'm tearing up just reading your last message.

I've actually read many of your posts after I was diagnosed (back in September). You're a wealth of knowledge. I will take it all in moderation once I'm cleared as well. Yes, plenty of water is needed to flush out those toxins. I do notice a big difference when I'm not drinking enough water. Lately, I've been staying on top of that too.

Yes, quality of life is very important. I'm also very happy to here that the Zeloda is working. I know that words like "stability" and "mild progression" is very good at your stage. I am so happy that you can still enjoy a good wine every now & then, and I know you'll be enjoying many more (inactive liver tumor and all). I keep hoping and praying that there will be a drug one day that will knock all of this crap out (for everyone). I know that sounds silly, but I can't help feeling for anyone who has this disease (or any other disease for that matter). It really does change your entire life, and the way a person sees things. It brings a whole new meaning to "Living life to the fullest."

• BucsGirl
    edited July 2017
    Options

Freya, I didn't see your post until now.  I feel the same way about your posts as well. I just wanted you both to know that.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited July 2017
    Options

Feya my mom was like you enjoyed a drink nightly till diagnosed stage 4. She didn't stop because of the diagnosis but rather her body no longer accepted it.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited July 2017
    Options

TampaBayBucksGirl, just moved to this area 2 years ago and oh how I was loving all of the Breweries! Husband and I were on a mission to try them all and we still will:):) Love it here.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited July 2017
    Options

I just had a great Hefeweizen with dinner. ;)

Where is our QOL in this mess?

• BucsGirl
    edited July 2017
    Options

TWills - OMG, it is so hard to stay away from all these breweries. We've been living here for about 12 years now. I didn't really get into the whole craft beer scene until about a year ago. Our department goes out together once a month. Lately, we've just been settling on World of Beer since it's so close to our office. I've been getting their draft root beer instead.

Yes, I love it here too!

Did you hear that the Coppertail Brewery now serves food? The Stein & Vine opened a new location at their brewery. That's my next stop once I'm cleared.

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited July 2017
    Options

TampaBayBucsGirl, I haven't been to either of those yet but they are on our list! We live on the other side of the Bay so we tend to go to the ones over here a lot, especially in Dunedin.

• Lita57
    edited July 2017
    Options

KB870, and everyone else, listen to your body when it comes to imbibing. If your body doesn't like it anymore, don't do it. I gave up hard cocktails some years ago because my body just couldn't tolerate even a few sips.

As one gets older, it gets harder for the body to clear out toxins. Older standup comedians joke about this, but it's the truth. Remember when we were younger and could go out partying and dancing til 2 or 3 am and get up and go to work the next day? (Well, some of us anyway. No need to drink and tell, if you don't want to.) 😉 I certainly can't do that anymore. It would kill me.

Tampa, thanks for the compliment.😀

• BucsGirl
    edited July 2017
    Options

EastcoastTS - I love a good hefeweizen too.

KB870 & Lita - I didn't drink a whole lot either. I don't know what got into me last year, but it's usually once a week for me. I'd only have 1 or 2 glasses. The rum drinks taste good, but I would wake up very dehydrated. I expect I'll never go back to the hard stuff either. Just an occasional wine or beer (if my body allows it). I do notice that soda doesn't always agree with my stomach anymore. I have to take the Zantac Duo Fusion chewable tablets every now & then. I get a little heartburn the week after my Herceptin infusion.

TWills - I don't go over to your side of the Bay much either. I live more inland. I just work in Tampa. I have tried beers from some of the breweries in St. Pete from time to time. Especially when we go to a Rays game. I like just about every style of beer (except IPAs).

• Bellapam
    Bellapam Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2017
    Options

kira1234,

Thank you for your kind thoughts and hugs!

Bellapam

• inccmd
    inccmd Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2017
    Options

Interesting thoughts. I love a glass or two of wine with dinner, although when recovering from surgery and now radiation, I don't because it just seems better for healing & feeling as good as possible. It would be nice to know if they could figure out who's predisposed for the alcohol/cancer link.

There are so many factors to consider, I am not sure how they can decide which beyond the most obvious contributes most to breast cancer. There's so much to sift through, and we are all so different and live differently. Although I knew I was at risk because of dense breast tissue and was very good about mammograms, I didn't really know how much that contributed to risk until I started reading about it. At first I felt guilty about drinking, but now I'm thinking the density was my higher risk factor (& beyond my control) since I could cross the other things off the list.

So I guess moderation and quality of life balance.

• Gingernurse
    Gingernurse Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2017
    Options

I usually drink a bottle of wine a week. Today I had an allergic reaction to Lanusta shot. Had a glass of wine and I ended up in the ED. My MO said absolutely no alcohol at all during chemo. Fine with me!!! I want to live and it was scar

• shellsatthebeach
    shellsatthebeach Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

I don't plan on drinking. Since being on the chemo, the thought and smell of alcohol makes me feel sick to my stomach. I gave up wine when I breast feed for a total of 10 years (had three kids, three years apart). Now my cross to bear will be giving up sugar. That will be so very hard for me, but I will do it if it gives me a better chance of survival. I also need to lose some weight.

• Lita57
    edited August 2017
    Options

Shells...so you did the right thing b'feeding your kids AND giving up wine...they tell us that b'feeding lowers one's risk of bc, along with giving up alcohol and YOU STILL got it.

These researchers and theorists are just pulling straws out of their butts. I personally know several 70 to 80+ year olds who have a glass of wine every night, or even a scotch or martini, and THEY never got cancer.

It's all a crap shoot.

But I do agree that one probably shouldn't drink during active chemo treatments. The poor liver has enuf to do clearing out the chemo toxins.