Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Did you stop alcohol drinking?

Options
1235»

Comments

• inccmd
    inccmd Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2017
    Options

TampaBayBuc, you wondered if that year you drank more did it. I seriously doubt it.

I don't know which of you have asked or found out, but my OB/GYN said cancer doesn't happen overnight and in my case, it probably developed over the last few years - maybe even 5 years for what ended up being a 1.1 cm growth. I know he can't know for sure, and it's just an educated guess on his part, but he put it in perspective for me.

We can make ourselves crazy trying to figure out if we did something to bring on BC. There's too many variables and some total randomness for even scientists to be sure.

• shellsatthebeach
    shellsatthebeach Member Posts: 50
    edited August 2017
    Options

So true Lita. I had a number of factors that were in my favor. I breastfed, I didn't have my first period until I was 15 years old. I also went into pre-menopausal state early and had last period last August (which probably saved my life). Also, on my mother side of family (she had 8 sisters) there is no history of breast cancer whatsoever for any of her sisters or their offspring (40 in all) or any of their offspring. On my father's side, only one person which was my dad's grandmother but none of her daughters or any of their daughters (the exception is me). So, breast cancer was the very last thing I thought I would get. So much so, when I started falling ill, I had everything under the sun tested and everything came back normal. I knew my doctor at that point must have thought I was being a hypochondriac. It wasn't until my OB/GYN visit that he discovered under my arm that things felt hard (my lymph nodes). Lump was not detectable. It didn't show up on any of my previous mammograms either. Definitely the whole thing a crap shot even though I did every right. Life is unpredictable.

• BucsGirl
    BucsGirl Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi inccmd,

Yeah, I think you're all right about that. As Lita said, it's a crap shoot. I am getting my genetic testing done next week. I have to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork on family members who are all deceased. I know it's rare, but I'm pretty sure that my grandfather had breast cancer (according to my mother). They said the gene could have been passed down to me through my father. My father didn't have cancer, but had the early onset of Parkinson's Disease. He may have passed away before any cancer developed. Who the heck knows! I'm going to drive myself batty trying to figure this out.

I also have dense breast tissue as well. That's definitely another risk factor (plus raging hormones). I was diagnosed at 50, and hadn't gone through the change of life yet. Oh, and I don't have kids so breast feeding wasn't an option. I have another condition called PCOD that made me infertile. There are no eggs popping out of my ovaries. LOL!

• chatsworthgirl
    chatsworthgirl Member Posts: 197
    edited August 2017
    Options

Hi all,

Just thought I'd put my two cents in re drinking. I'm with Lita on this one. I am half Italian and drinking red wine has been a part of my life since I was young. Same with lots of Europeans over there or here. Wine is regularly consumed. And as someone mentioned, if it was going to give you cancer then the entire European continent would be dead by now.

I have red wine at least three or four times a week. Usually two glasses. I can't drink a lot because I get a headache if I do so that's my body's take on it.

When I went through surgeries, chemo, radiation I didn't drink because I wanted to give my body the best chance to heal. I did not have reconstruction - double mast - because I did not want to add another burden to the process.

However, at this point I am not going to worry too much about much of anything. I once read that if it's your time to die nothing can stop it and if it's not, then nothing can make it happen. I am not foolish and I do my best to eat properly, get exercise and sleep well (when the %$# drugs don't give me insomnia).

to Vino!!!

Chats

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited August 2017
    Options

I lived in France for a year between college and grad school where I was studying at the Sorbonne and received a diploma in French Civilization. Guess what I learned? That wine with dinner is a wonderful thing. Unless of very poor quality which was the case with the "questionable" Cotes du Rhone which consisted of bad Rhone, mixed with cheap Algerian, and then sugared to hide the evil flavor. I still remember the day after headaches.

I live in Washington State, which has glorious wine largely unknown in the rest of the country. A continuing adventure, as are all the microbreweries, not to mention the distilleries. So lots to explore and great fun. 

We also have amazing fresh local food which goes with guess what? I am a cook, so relish doing these pairings. I do endurance cycling to mitigate the damage, just finishing my 11th Seattle-to-Portland Bicycle Classic in a row. That's 200+ miles over 2 days and requires a lot of training to build up strength and endurance. (I was better than ever on the hills this year.)

Having said all this, I did give up all alcohol during active treatment as thought my liver had enough work to do. Fortunately, I did not have to give up tea.

That's my story. Because my big learning from my trip through cancer is not to waste a day of the amazing life we are granted. It's now about 6 extra years and counting. I find out later today if all is still OK. When I get that confirmation, it's off to the wine bar where I am meeting a friend for wine, conversation and perhaps some jazz. I am thinking that it might be a bottle of champagne that I order.

Because every day, and especially today, is a celebration. - Claire 

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2017
    Options

Love your philosophy, Claire. Work hard, play hard, and enjoy life!

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2017
    Options

Thank you! All went well with my oncology appointment yesterday. I had a list of topics to mention and I think she was on the learning end. I think I may have convinced two of the staff to exercise. Then I stopped at Nordstrom Flagship for a couple of YSL items - hot pink lipstick and a new mascara which really does something to my eyes.

Couldn't find anything at the resale shop and then off to the wine bar. It was fun catching up with my friend and, yes, the champagne was just wonderful. Splurged on the Blanc de Noirs, my fave. Somehow, I had missed that I get half off flights, so must do more of that in the future as a lot of fun. I refilled my Maison 1.5 liter of Chardonnay. Really delish and only one dollar more per regular bottle than less wonderful wine.

The wind has shifted and the air is a lot better here today. Not to mention cooler. Life is good! - Claire 

• BucsGirl
    edited August 2017
    Options

Claire - That is wonderful news! I can't wait until I get to that 6 year mark. So, you didn't partake in any wine even through your 5 years of AI? That's amazing! 

I agree with you & Chats about wine. I love a good French or German wine. We make it a point to do a winery tour everywhere we go. Sadly, we haven't been to Europe this past year (because of the diagnosis). Our last tour was in Barcelona (about 2 years ago). We got to see how they make Cava. It was a wonderful experience. I'm looking forward to more trips in the future.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2017
    Options

No, I resumed drinking wine as soon as I was cleared to eat normal foods following chemo, and my liver had less work to do. There are limits to everything. In fact, I had a "global virtual wine party" so that others around the globe could celebrate my successful completion of kick-butt chemo. I had a glass of pink bubbly....complements of the wine bar.

I was not about to give up one of the supreme pleasures and continuing adventures in life.

Speaking of adventures, a guy on the bus home last night asked to be a Facebook friend. We are doing a ride later this afternoon. This could prove interesting. I am not sure what else he has in mind besides wanting "someone to cycle with". I do know that he has recently been dating someone, wo wonder if there was a tiff. In any event, a short ride is relatively harmless. I am also wondering what will happen when he gets a good look at my face, as think I am a lot older than he imagines?

Two hours from now at Element Cycles..... - Claire

• BucsGirl
    edited August 2017
    Options

I totally get it now. Living life to the fullest. I love the fact that you had a global virtual wine party after chemo. I'm looking forward to celebrating once my Herceptin treatment is over.

Well, that definitely sounds like an adventure. Have a great time at Element Cycles! Smile

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2017
    Options

Cycling date got pushed back until today. It's raining (YAY!!!) so will wait for things to subside a bit. Anyway, I am stoked to have all this male attention as it's been a while. The worst thing that will happen is that I will have a dreadful time, but at least it's an adventure! I already warned him that I am slower than slow. - Claire

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited August 2017
    Options

Claire, if it's a crappy time, go home and pour yourself a nice glass of vino.

I'm off to lunch with friends at a new steakhouse. Hope they have a decent wine list. I start my chemo pills again tomorrow. I always allow myself a glass or 2 when I'm off cycle. (I started allowing myself that luxury again after nine months of total abstinence to get the mets under control.)

What's the worst that can happen now? I get cancer?

• claire_in_seattle
    edited August 2017
    Options

Actually a bad crash would be even worse. I got back safe and sound and had a good time. As he had cycled in, he bussed it back to his place, from the transit center that was at the half way point. That turned out to be just fine as part of the route I had planned was closed, so that turned out to be quite the adventure.

I ended up cycling 30 miles which gives me a good workout for the day. We may join one of his cycling buddies in the future. Anyway, it was very nice to learn that a much younger guy likes jazz and is into swing dancing. Jazz is a huge deal in and around Seattle, with schools in relatively remote places having jazz bands. Seattle and other nearby schools routinely place in the TOP 5 in the Ellington Jazz Competition in NYC.

I did learn that I cycle better and faster when in the company of a fit guy. Of course, that is one of the benefits of doing major endurance events. Lots of guys with great bodies in spandex. How can a girl get so lucky! - Claire 

• monie108
    monie108 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Options

I love your philosophy as well Claire! I have been quite devastated over the past year and 4 months during this crusade I am on. People call it a journey I call it a nightmare. I am a very social person and love to meet up with my friends and family over dinner, concerts, bonfires, vacations, etc. And everyone I know drinks! I did not drink at all during the massive chemo treatment, but did have wine during Herceptin boosts, although certainly less than I used too. However, the vacation we just got back from was an exception, and for that I feel extremely guilty! I only have one more treatment to go and then it is all done. I am told I am doing well with no remaining cancer after very aggressive treatment, all numbers and tests came back the best they possibly could. I am hoping it stays that way!

To ward off the wine enemy I also work out 3-4 times weekly and pray that gives some relief. That and lots of prayers! But you are right, there is really only one life to live, I have to keep telling myself that! Thanks for your insight!

Winking

• FireSally
    FireSally Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017
    Options

I minimized my drinking to two drinking seasons a half year. I quit smoking.

It's funny and in many countries it is prohibited but... what do you people think about having cancer and smoking pot ?
    Not that I do it often.. It's just an alternative to the destructive feeling I feel after I consume alcohol.

• karentwriter
    karentwriter Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2017
    Options

I'm definitely thinking of cutting WWAAAAYYY back. I didn't think I drank much either until I saw what they said was "moderate". My eyes almost fell out of my head. I guess I'm more than moderate by this standard. I'm also TRYING to quit smoking. But when I'm stressed I smoke..This is highly stressful. I need to find another stress reducing thing to do. I need to exercise, which I never do and eat healthy and lose weight. Man...everything I loved doing or not doing is going bye bye...but I guess the trade off is worth it. I'm guessing the smoking will be the last to go, but easy to go if I'm not drinking nearly as much and working out. Or easier anyway. Man, it will be hard having friends over. It seems that is what we do when we get together...cocktails in the garage with our smokes and tv and conversation.

• Maggiemoo63
    Maggiemoo63 Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2017
    Options

FireSally

I would be good with smoking pot . Our state does not allow medical pot which is different then street. I don't smoke it now and I stopped drinking any alcohol. I figure I may drink on my birthday or anniversary date of when I was diagnosed.

• jeeves67
    jeeves67 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

I don't know if this has been said but alcohol is estrogenic. As I was ER+ and PR+, I wondered if I "gave" myself BC. And, in spite of family history, my mom and I tested negative for BRCA1 and 2, as well as the other common gene mutations that can contribute to cancer. so for a while, I was still beating myself up about drinking "too much," 2 glasses a day, with maybe 3 or 4 on weekend nights. I also had a baby at 39, so I was exhausted from taking care of him and working, and thus not really exercising throughout my forties.

So in addition to drinking more than the recommended single 6 oz. glass of wine per day, I wasn't getting enough sleep, I wasn't exercising, and I was stressed out. However, mutations can also just happen. Yes, I was primed health-wise for something to more likely go wrong, but life is life, and here's nothing I can do about it now but be kinder to myself. My plan moving forward re: drinking is no more than 2 (maaaaybe 3!) glasses per week, with one per day on vacation. I've been doing this since diagnosed, and I lost weight and feel a lot healthier, anyway!

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited October 2017
    Options

Jeeves:

Also my plan! 2-3 a week for the joy of life/living and the exact holiday agenda you have. I came home from work and did the cheese/wine thing every night. Loved it, I'll be honest, and boom: no stress -- but maybe not the best for health. One extremely cool caveat, less wine has REALLY cut down on my migraines. Like almost gone. I am thin -- so never a weight issue as motivation to do anything more or less. I'm also trying to improve what was an already fairly decent diet (within reason) and more exercise as well. Things I enjoy doing. And less stress about work/family/life. That one is easy some days, hard others.

My mom and I also negative for BRCA 1/2 but there is a strong prostate history for a few generations, and I think they have not found the connector yet.

I've found it hard to get back to "normal" with life: things I used to do like sitting at a brewery, having a beer, glass of wine at dinner out and not feel like I'm asking for a recurrence. This constant vigil we're on -- to be healthy! and stress-free! -- is the shittiest part of this to me. (After two surgeries and all that stuff.) LOL

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited October 2017
    Options

This is a reasonable response to our question below. Idk. I still think most of BC and trying to figure out "why" is a crapshoot.

https://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/hot-topics/alcohol-breast-cancer/