Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Going flat ... clothes?

Options
2»

Comments

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    edited April 2016
    Options

Mizzoh, you look great. I can really sympathize with you--I also have a big belly, made worse by the fact that I have no big boobs now. I had a lot of complications with my BMX 2/4/16, which resulted in a huge 6cm seroma on the left (good breast) and a 3.5" x 3" x 2" gash in the right (zombie breast.) Thank God I didn't have traditional recon or implants--I would have lost it all. Those areas are still not healed, nor will they be healed until about mid-May. Foo! Due to the location of my wounds right at the bra line, I cannot wear any kind of bra or cami with a shelf bra. I am still wearing dressings on both breasts, which surprisingly give me a little bit of a mound, LOL. No need for a binder, just gauze and tape.

I just came home from a week-long nursing conference in San Diego. Before I left home I decided that this would be my moment of truth--going flat and wigless in front of a bunch of people I didn't' know and would never see again. If anyone noticed, they didn't say anything. I didn't catch anyone staring and no one said a thing about my 1-1/2" long hair. When I returned to Atlanta, I got pulled out of line after going through the body scanner. Apparently, having bandages strapped to your chest and no bra is a red flag for TSA. As I went through the pat down, the girl zeroed in on my chest. I leaned forward and told her I had bandages on because I had had a BMX recently. She pulled her hands off me like they were on fire, LOL. I bet she'll think twice before she pulls another lady with very, very short hair and no breasts out of line!

Anyway, that's a long way for me to say, I'm getting used to going flat. I guess nobody really cares about a 60 year old lady's boobs. I plan to not make a decision until at least 2017, but if I continue to feel as good as I do now I will strongly consider staying this way.

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited April 2016
    Options

Ja, darts make life interesting post-BMX.

• BarredOwl
    BarredOwl Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2016
    Options

ksusan:

In case that was ambiguous, I was inspired because you look so sharp in your blazer. :)

BarredOwl

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited April 2016
    Options

Thank you--I wasn't clear; I was agreeing that darts are a challenge. Thank you for the compliment!

• VSB2015
    VSB2015 Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2016
    Options

I had a BMX with no reconstruction in February. I did get prosthesis but have not worn them at all yet. I prefer going flat. No one notices. My complaint is that when women choose no reconstruction, why can't the surgeon take a little extra care in making the finished product look good. Instead I was told to go to a plastic surgeon. I like prints to camouflage and sweaters but summer is coming and I have to think about tee shirts and tank tops.

• azrescue
    azrescue Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2016
    Options

vsb2015- that is one of my big concerns. I hope that the surgeon & I are very much on the same page. I am hoping for a nice clean scar. Not lots of excess skin left.

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2016
    Options

vsb2015, I would bring him a photo of how you want to look There's plenty of great photos of flat women on the Internet. You can also ask him if he can show you pics of some of his pics of surgeries he's performed in the past of women who opted out of recon., and wanted the "10 year old boy" look

• ElleD
    ElleD Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2016
    Options

My plan is to go flat too...haven't really investigated alot of my clothing because since surgery I have been compressed, and with drains so I have bee wearing the baggy zipper/button down clothing. My plan, however, since deciding to go flat has been to use weights to develop the pecs( like body builders of 80's... see Rachel McLish or Gladys Portagues) and unbutton my blouse one button lower! Getting to the point I cal weight lift seems to be another story. I think darted blouses will be an issue though. For Fall/Winter weather scarfs are supposed to help over sweaters.

• VSB2015
    VSB2015 Member Posts: 20
    edited April 2016
    Options

Was just something I never considered before surgery. I had never heard of "dog ears" I just think they could take a couple extra minutes when they close you up to make it lok nice, A few less "points"

• ElleD
    edited April 2016
    Options

VSB2015, were you considering recon at time of surgery? Sometimes they leave a little extra if recon is in the future.

• ElleD
    edited April 2016
    Options

Love the great pics1 You two look fabulous...very encouraging! Love this forumSmile

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    edited April 2016
    Options

I had recon(very small implants) but I'm thinking of deconstructing. I wear cami's or tank tops under my tops. It helps even me out and tops don't stick to me...just a thought....if I do deconstruct, I don't plan on wearing prosthesis, but will proudly go flat. Thanks,

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited April 2016
    Options

And sometimes they leave excess skin, cuz they think you will change your mind about recon, even when you have firmly told them that you will not, under any circumstances, do recon. I also learned the term, "dog ears" on here.

• azrescue
    azrescue Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2016
    Options

I already brought up "dog ears" with my surgeon and stressed that I do not want any left. But I will continue to stress this to her. I'm not due for surgery until July/Aug.

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2016
    Options

Sometimes, breast surgeons will arrange for a plastic surgeon to be present to close up the incisions in a way that avoids lumps, bumps, and dog ears. Especially now that so many women get reconstruction, breast surgeons don't often have to close up after performing mastectomy surgery, so I think a lot of them simply don't have the plastic surgical skills to achieve an ideal result.

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2016
    Options

I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't had surgery yet to show a photo to your surgeon that has your desired results. I also recommend requesting photos from your surgeon of previous patients who've opted out of reconstruction.

• Mizzoh
    Mizzoh Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hey all! Just want to share that I tried foobs at work for the first time, and that's because I got a set of these Knitted Knockers:

http://www.knittedknockers.org

I LOVE them! Soft & light & comfy! I will gl flat most days, I think, but when wearing a dress where how it hangs is impirtant, etc., especially with mah belleh, these are great!

Here's a picture of mine:

I've tried to attach pic like eight times. This interface is not good with iPhones, drat. Oh, well, another day

• Mizzoh
    Mizzoh Member Posts: 17
    edited April 2016
    Options

mustlovepoo: I love your attitude & bravery

• tsoebbin
    tsoebbin Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2016
    Options

Many thanks to you all for your posts! I thought i was done with my lumpectomy last week but pathology report says I am not!

So I am scheduling a BMX in the next few weeks and trying to decide about reconstruction. I am very overweight so I am nervous about what I will look like afterwards. Your posts and photos helped a lot. thank you

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited May 2016
    Options

Flat is where its at. Quick recovery. I try to get Downton Abbey type clothes or things with flap pockets. No one cares and im comfortable. The FB group Flat and Fabulous.org has been my support.

One thing if i had to do it again was get a plastic surgeon at the time of the BMX. My result is a bit lumpy looking. I told him i wanted to look like a 10 year okd boy, so he didnt leave extra skin, but would have wanted smoother scars

• Bearhitch
    Bearhitch Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Options

I will chime in here... sometimes I feel like an oddball because I didn't have to defeat cancer - my BMX was prophylactic and sometimes it feels weird because I "did this to myself." Anyway - I do not ever wear foobs - in fact I never even bothered buying any. I knew that everyone who knows me would know they are fake - so why bother? Well - most people. Unfortunately after having my surgery, other health issues and stress have helped contribute to over 30 lbs of weight gain. That has not helped that my tummy sticks out more with no big boobs to balance it out. I am still working through all of that and trying to lose weight.

As for clothing, I go for prints - basically the opposite of what I did when I had boobs. If you know anyone that sells LuLaRoe clothing, an Irma with leggings is a great look and they are pretty forgiving shirts. The Amelia dress has fantastic shape as well and I feel feminine in. I was always a sweat pants and tee shirt type of gal but I do absolutely love not wearing a bra - probably why I will never do the foob route even though I still battle feeling self-conscience about my new shape.

• ravenclaw_eagle
    ravenclaw_eagle Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2018
    Options

Maybe this will help someone -

I have gone flat since my surgery two years ago. Styling was tough at first because the nurses and assistants were pushing the prosthesis option and had zero styling advice for going without. I went from a curvy DD to a pear shaped body. I had to get rid of almost my entire wardrobe and purchase new clothes that accentuated my shoulders and elongated my legs. Jackets, off/cold shoulders, ruffles, long necklaces, patterns, cardigans, and scarfs are my new best friends. I've noticed that solid colors alone without accessories make me look flatter and patterns fool the eyes into seeing shapes. I was never a girly girl but I have become one because that looks best.

The worst: Bathing suits. Ugh. I cried the first summer every time I went into a bathing suit section of a store because they all came with the built in cups. Bathing suit shopping was utterly depressing. I finally started shopping online for suits with no cups and either layers or ruffles. I discovered that there are mastectomy suits out there.

• aisling
    aisling Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2018
    Options

I just saw this swimsuit on sale at Neiman Marcus!

https://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/jets-by-jessika-all...

The brand is probably a good one to look into if one needs a swimsuit to accommodate inserts and I think it's really cute <3

• jaybird627
    jaybird627 Member Posts: 1,227
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hi.

Looking for posts of those who started out with expanders/implants but then went without/flat after due to expander/implant complications.

Thanks!

• Ldrumm65
    Ldrumm65 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2019
    Options

I go flat and also use the prosthetics I have. Going flat is definitely easier. I am slowly figuring out how to dress flat. I, too, am concave as I saw mentioned by someone else. Are there any manufacturers who make a tank or bra that have 100% padding to help me fill in the concaveness for when I wear tight clothing. Thanks

• AdiAri_2018
    AdiAri_2018 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2019
    Options

Have you tried TLC ? Is an organization for cancer patients in particular breast cancer. It has bandanas, wigs, bras, consoles, implants, etc. I got the catalog from ACS at my closest location.

• AdiAri_2018
    AdiAri_2018 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2019
    Options

Have you tried TLC ? Is an organization for cancer patients in particular breast cancer. It has bandanas, wigs, bras, consoles, implants, etc. I got the catalog from ACS at my closest location. By the way, I'm having double mastectomy next week. I understand your situation, we are going thru the same path. Hope all is well with you .

• BooblessThrifter
    BooblessThrifter Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020
    Options

I run an online thrift store specifically for flat/univoobwomen. It's atgoingflat.com. Or @goingflat on Instagram and Facebook.

P.S. I have obtained permission from admins to post about it. Thanks in advancefor checking it out!