Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hard pea sized lump near surface of skin

Angellestinnett
Angellestinnett Member Posts: 5
edited September 2017 in Waiting for Test Results

About two weeks ago I found a new lump in my breast in the "1 o'clock" region maybe two centimeters above my nipple and brought it to my Obgyn's attention and he sent me for an ultrasound which was today... I have a history of benign phyllodes tumor in this breast maybe two to three inches from this site and multiple cysts in my other breast I've also had breast augmentation with a Mini lift so incisions were around my nipples in 2012... My ultrasound seemed a little different than past experiences today, the tech had a concerned way about her and didn't seem to get very many angled pictures of this lump like in the past and she had to use a silicone circular object to put more depth between the probe and lump she said because it was so close to the surface... She also had me wait undressed while she spoke to the radiologist and when she came back asked if I had a mark or anything on my breast near the lump "anything black or dark like a big bite maybe" we're her words... Just struck me as odd given past experience so... She said the radiologist was looking at the films and would follow up with my dr and my results shouldn't take long and since I'm young he will more than likely want to follow up... My question is can cysts develop close to the surface? And could this be scar tissue? What were your experiences

Comments

• plumster1
    plumster1 Member Posts: 100

I recently had a lump very close to the skin. When I went to my Breast Surgeon to have it checked out, she also did an ultrasound. It was actually a dermoid cyst in the skin. So nothing breast related or to worry about. I hope yours is too. :)

• Angellestinnett

good to hear! I hope this is something small I'm sure if it were cause for concern the radiologist would've spoken with me

• Angellestinnett

so my dr just called with the ultrasound results... It was a bunch of big words that were on the report but from what I gathered it read about a solid or simple cyst possible subacous cyst and I have two options... To try antibiotics and follow up with ultrasound to see if it treats it or to go ahead with an excisional biopsy to be sure it's not cancerous... I'm trying the antibiotics but still worried

• Lotusconnie
    Lotusconnie Member Posts: 2

I wouldn't be super worried. I sounds like a skin related issue, with skin accessory glands. Not the Breast. Even if you need excisional biopsy, it is unlikely to be related to the breast, I think. Hope it gets better soon

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353

I hesitate to post this because I do believe yours is probably nothing and you are wise to get it checked. But I feel I owe this to others who might read this because of pea-size lump description.

The first sign I had something was wrong is I had a pea-size lump close to the skin. It kind of felt like nothing - a cyst, something not a big deal, but I knew something was wrong. It would change in size. Come to find out, my breast surgeon called it "your save-your-life lump". I had a huge tumor near the chest wall I could not feel. After mastectomy, the pea size lump turned out to be lymph fluid that formed into that lump in the duct because it had no where to go. Without that pea-size lump appearing, I never would have never discovered the 6 cm tumor lurking under my large breast near the chest wall.

Every day for almost 5 years, I thank God that pea-size lump formed to save my life.

• Angellestinnett

thank you for your replies ladies! I think it's benign whatever it may be the only doubts that I have is that it doesn't have a "head" that I've seen on sebaceous cysts where the junk builds up and that I can also pinch the skin on top of the lump... I feel if it was a cysts due to build up that you wouldn't be able to pinch the skin on it and that the lump would be RIGHT there... I've picked up a copy of my ultrasound report today and this is what it says image

• Angellestinnett

had my consult with the surgeon yesterday and although he cannot identify what the lump is he feels confident enough to watch and see with follow up ultrasound when radiology schedules it in a few months... He said if for some reason it gets bigger then of course we'd go ahead and remove it... He said if I were older and had family history of bc then he'd be wanting a biopsy more but I'm young and chances of bc are highly unlikely... Then of course he throws it at me that it's always my choice if I want it removed because since we are trying to get pregnant my hormones could make it grow and cause issues with stressing while pregnant...

• denise-g

Just keep monitoring it as I know you will!!

Sending my best!!

• Airmcnau
    Airmcnau Member Posts: 1

Hello Denise-G,

What did your lump look like if you do not mind me asking. I found an odd shaped lump closer to the surface of my breast that is hard and a lighter colour than my skin. Larger than a pea and doesn't hurt. Seeing my doctor tomorrow. Thank you for any help.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,891

Air, how did your appointment go with your doctor today? Sending good wishes!

--The Mods

• denise-g

Airmcnau - my pea-size lump was very round, did not hurt, moved easily, close to surface of breast.

Glad you are getting it checked! Please post back to let us know how it goes!