Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Post lumpectomy nipple soreness and inversion

Options
gabfest
gabfest Member Posts: 1

In the past 5 weeks, I've had a lumpectomy to remove DCIS and a re-excision to clear the margins around DCIS tissue removed from the 9 o'clock position of my right breast. The healing has gone well, but in the 3rd week following my original lumpectomy, I noticed nipple soreness after the initial inflammation had gone down. After the re-excision about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I still noticed nipple soreness right away and then nipple inversion 3 days following surgery. I will have radiation starting in about 4-5 weeks and have been reading that radiation may make this situation worse as well. I've had a post-op appointment with my surgeon who did not have much to say about this situation.

I am hoping that others who have had a similar experience will be able to give me some advice about what to do before, during and after radiation to reduce the nipple sensitivity & soreness. I do not care about cosmetics, but the nipple soreness and sensitivity is very difficult - worse to me than the incision, bruising and inflammation. What might be causing this? How can this be treated? Will it go away? Will radiation make this worse? I look forward to learning from folks what to do about this concern. Thank you!