Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BIRADS 4A u/s - help me figure out the language in rpt!

Options
PluggingThrough
PluggingThrough Member Posts: 9
edited November 2016 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hi everyone, Just joined. I recently was called back for a diagnostic mammo and u/s due to a (per the screening mammo) "mass or asymmetry in the right breast with possible faint calcifications." Ultrasound showed "an oval parallel circumscribed hypoechoic mass measuring approximately 7 x 7 x 5 mm. There are tiny internal reflectors within the mass, suggesting calcifications. There is internal vascularity . . . Ultrasound the right axils reveals normal lymph nodes." They recommend a biopsy, which I will get Thurs. any help translating? As best I can tell, circumscribed and oval are good characteristics - calcifications and vascularity are not. The rad told me it's either malignant or a fibroadenoma. I'm 46 though and it seems fibros are more common in younger women. Does anyone have any more info? Can you share your experience and whether you had a malignancy or something else? I'm not overly worried but I want to be prepared and of course have this overwhelming need to get as much info as I can. Thx

Comments

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

axils should be axila. Also, I should mention that the ultrasound was painful as it went over the mass. Not sure how relevant that is but would love your comments either way

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited November 2016
    Options

I had vascular activity on both my malignancies. It means there is blood flow to the area- alive and active. The best lump is a lump in a jar.

The area of concern for you is very very small and will be hard to get a conclusive biopsy. My second lump biopsy was benign but I had it taken out anyway and it turned out to be malignant. Just a heads up....

You are not alone. We are here for you. Please let us know on this thread as you get results so we know how you are doing.

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thx, Barbe, that's helpful. It didn't occur to me that the biopsyresults could be inconclusive. I'm glad I know that so I won't be disappointed if it happens. She said she will take about 4 samples. I will definitely post updates with results when I get them! Is there also blood flow in a fibro? She said it's definitely not a cyst.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited November 2016
    Options

Pluggingthrough, a 4A is a very low level of suspicion. Only 2% to 10% of these come back anything other than benign. If you biopsy turns out benign it will be completely concordant with the imaging. Try not to worry toomuch. You are more than likely fine.

• barbe1958
    edited November 2016
    Options

Fibros grow too remember. Doesn't have to be malignant to be alive. It's just not a fluid filled cyst.

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

thx everyone - going to get the biopsy today!

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

Just had the biopsy. They said I should get the results mon afternoon or tues. the radiologist told me that The mass might have some atypical cells, in which case it would need to be surgically removed. Anyone have any experience with that? She said it wouldn't be as extensive as a lumpectomy, in that they would only remove part of the nodule, maybe?

• melissadallas
    edited November 2016
    Options

I did. About the only difference between a surgical biopsy and a lumpectomy for cancer is that the lumpectomy has the goal of achieving margins free of cancer. In my case my core biopsy had atypical cells, atypical lobular hyperplasia, suspicious for lobular neoplasia (LCIS-just considered a high-risk marker). My excisional biopsy did find LCIS, but nothing worse. They usually do the excisional, because in about 20% of the time DCIS or invasive cancer is found in the area of atypical cells. Hopefully yours will just be something entirely benign and you won't have to worry about it.

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks, Melissa, that's very helpful. My concern has sort of morphed from it being a malignancy to it being inconclusive or a grey area (b/c I think the chances are slim that it's cancer due to some of the characteristics - at least I hope). For that reason, I'm really glad I found this site!As a side note, I am a fellow Texan too. I live near Boston now but was born and raised near you in Ft Worth.

• melissadallas
    edited November 2016
    Options

Plugging, I lived south of Ft. Worth in Grandview & in Cleburne for a while. I think mama's daddy was born in Joshua.

They sometimes think all kinds of things guessing off what they see (or really can't see...) on the imaging that don't turn out to be true. I'm voting for plain old benign:)

• barbe1958
    edited November 2016
    Options

How could they tell atypical cells during a biopsy? They'd have to be under a microscope.

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

Melissa - my husband's grandparents were from Cleburne. It's nice to see another Texan around here. Barbe, the radiologist mentioned that the mass might have atypical cells before she didthe biopsy, I'm assuming based on the characteristics of the mass? She didn't say for certain, just that that was another possibility.

• melissadallas
    edited November 2016
    Options

I'm guessing because of the faint calcifications.

I'm from Denton

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

Thanks for your input!

• PluggingThrough
    edited November 2016
    Options

Update: I called at 4 today and was told the results were in and a nurse would call me back. I asked that someone call me as soon as possible and was assured that they would. Unfortunately I never got a call and now have to wait until tomorrow. So frustrating and actually has me more concerned. Any experience with this