Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in July 2017

Options

Comments

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    Options

imageMy knitted knocker came today. I only just requested it I think on Sunday. I like to wear a sports bra when I'm walking in the morning and my prosthesis was too heavy. Heard about this from somewhere and here it is. It works perfect

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    Options

port placement is done! I had it done in the Interventional Radiology department at the hospital and was by far the easiest thing yet.

The procedure itself: Absolutely no pain. No discomfort.

I'm seeing a little decrease in range of motion, but I think that is more because of how the bandage is placed.

I can remove the bandage and shower in 24 hours. (The incision is glued.

• Teese
    Options

Jen- so glad it went so well. Thanks for posting. Did it go in the right then? i go tomorrow, a little apprehensive but I'd rather do this than deal with my left arm being used for the chemo infusions

• JenRuns
    Options

yes, they put it in the right. She said they prefer the right, and because of my left side issues, it was a no brainer. It was so hard for them to get a good vein on my right, it reinforced how much the port is needed. (And I drink a TON of water, so it's just overuse from all these blood draws and surgery.)

I will say that now the local has worn off, it's a little stiff. I can see having some discomfort tonight or tomorrow morning. But nothing some tyelenol can't handle. And the procedure itself, heck, that was better than the breast MRI

• Teese
    Options

Im glad you feel the discomfort can be handled with a Tylenol or two.

You sound so strong and I'm wondering were you anxious at all about this and have been pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Or did you go into it knowing it would be an easier procedure to have done

• JenRuns
    Options

I had no idea what to expect... i was pretty anxious going in, and I actually thought the procedure was going to be worse. I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought I was awake the whole time, but I must have drifted in and out.

• Teese
    Options

Im so glad it turned out so well today and it's one more thing behind you. I'll be glad when mine is done tomorrow too.

I'm also relieved to have plenty of time to heal before chemo. I've read on here where some have the port placed and then they walk straight over and have their first chemo. They do it and survive just fine. However I was relieved when my onc said to schedule it for 10 days out from chemo.

Have a restful evening and if the stiffness worsens I wouldn't hesitate to take a left over pain pill from surgery to get a good nights sleep.

• JenRuns
    Options

good call... I have some Norco left...

good luck tomorrow... let us know how you're soinf

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    Options

Hello All,

Will start chemo in July, hopefully just 4 weeks after my umx on June 19. Met my oncologist today, and really like him! I will have 6 rounds of TCH, 3weeks apart, then continue with Herceptin for a year total. My oncologist is going to try to get Perjeta approved for me, even though my tumors totalled less than 2cm and there is no node involvement.

Iam not sure I am going to do hand/foot icing and/or coldcaps, as it sounds like a lot of work. I don't care about losing hair, but the possibility of messed up nails bugs me a little. May just see how it goes after the first round.

My worst fear right now is having genetic testing point me towards removal of ovaries/hysterectomy/other breast before I can start chemo.

Thanks for reading,

L

• Mari-
    Mari- Member Posts: 57
    Options

T! Thank you for remembering it! My neulasta autoshot did not work so I had to go back into hospital to get a new shot! Very tiring day, I had a cloud on my head, now I know what's a chemo Brain

Do you have any tips for heartburn?? Mine is hard! Tums are not taking care of it?

• Teese
    Options

Mari- per suggestions on here I bought Pepcid AC to have on hand. But since you tried tums without relief you could reach out to your MO for a suggestion.

When you say the autoshot didn't work, so it didn't inject at the correct time? Oh pooh, that's inconvenient, my hospital is 2 hours away due to traffic. I'd hate that. So sorry. Other than that how have you been

• Teese
    Options

leatherette - you'll be a week or so behind me. When do you get your port placed? I go this morning, they said NPO after 6am so I got up at 5:30 to have breakfast and to get in a bike ride. Then off to the hospital by 8:30. Because of traffic we allow 2 hours, but if we're lucky with light traffic then we end up there an hour early. Ugh

I have to remember to mark where my bra straps hit this morning when I get dressed so it doesn't end up under a strap and rubbing.

Jen I hope you had a comfortable night. The dr said I could take an Ativan she'd prescribed the night before the port placement and chemo to get a good rest. I've never taken anything before. I had gone to bed early to get enough sleep. Was just lying there debating should I take one. Eventually got up and took half and was nervous as can be what would happen. What happen is I fell asleep till midnight, so I got up and got the other half and had a full nights sleep except for those few minutes.

I just don't want this stuff to be a habit,

But I understand that excessive worry and getting run down from too many hours in the middle of the night worrying over everything is really bad too. Sigh

• JenRuns
    Options

teese - thinking of you and hoping it all goes smoothly this morning! I slept fine ... a little uncomfortable falling asleep but no issues. This morning it's a little pokey feeling -- I know it's there, but it isn't pain.

leatherette - I feel the same way about hair/nails. The cold cap sounds like too much work. I worry about my lovely nails. Ah well.

Regarding genetic testing -- I found out mine is hereditary the night before surgery. Since I had planned a bmx it didn't change anything, and the doctors were all like, ehhh, we can deal with your ovaries when we are all done with treatment. (So I say don't stress too much about it!

• Mari-
    Options

leatherette- I amNot sure if it works, but I was told to chew on ice to get less mouth sores. While I did that on and off I held the cup of ice on my hands thinking that it may improve hands a bit! I only had one session so I don't know! It was easy to do, hopeful it works a bit

Neulasta autoshot spilled! I had a little puddle on my bed. Everything seemed fine, light sticker....I got an shot instead!

• Teese
    Options

thanks Jen, glad you had a good night.

Mari - well that's was just a fluke I guess.

Well off to the hospital, will report back this afternoon.

Theres

• KimE
    KimE Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi Everyone, I've been MIA for the past few days as my youngest son got married last Sunday on a cruise ship so of course I had to sail with them. Glad that I had a few days of normalcy, and I'm now back to the task of getting through this battle. Have any of you attended the Look Good Feel Better workshop given by the American Cancer Society? I did before the wedding and put my skills to work, I looked good the entire time and my Awesome Breastforms were great. July is coming fast and I'm ready to get my first treatment under my belt.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a great 4th of July!!!

Kim

• lrfortuna
    lrfortuna Member Posts: 5
    Options

Mari, just wanted to say hi as we are similarly situated. I had a MTX 6 years ago and faithfully have taken tamoxifen and have had a recurrence (thank goodness local!). I started my chemo on 6/1 (AC every other week four times then 12 weekly taxol). Although my MO didn't do the Oncotype or anything - she said it may not be as reliable for recurrence and said due to grade and KI that I should. I Ann happy to check this box and it isn't not all so bad! In face yesterday wasn't my third treatment and I may feeling so good I'm headed to the beach :). Best of luck to you

• she1212
    she1212 Member Posts: 12
    Options

pet scan and port placement surgery done yesterday.....I went totally under for the port. Very long day! Thankful for my great husband.

Getting my hair cut (not shaved yet) short today. Only good thing about loosing hair is body hair! Hope that goes first.

I start chemo Monday....any thoughts on what to bring to first one?

Thank you for the posts and hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Leatherette
    Options

Teese-making a port placement appt today, most likely.

JenRuns, thanks for the info on the genetic testing-that helps-if it comes back positive, hopefully they'll wait on the second breast as well.

As I scroll through the posts, looks like everyone on this thread is HER2-. Any other July starters HER2+?

That said, I am glad for all those who aren't HER2+, just makes it a little more scary for me to see it looking rare...

Funny, you spend your life wanting to be an 'original', then this happens and you want to circle the wagons with the people you have the most in common with disease- and treatment- wise! Anything to have something be known, familiar or predictable

L

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

she1212- you asked about what to bring to your first chemo treatment so here are some ideas:

I brought a notebook where I write questions to ask medical personnel. Any questions I had that first day were asked and answers written down so I wouldn't be overwhelmed by it all and forget my answers

I brought my phone and power cord and headphones as I listened to the radio on my phone (infusion center has free wifi).

Here is how a typical AC infusion appointment went for me- hoping it gives you an idea of what you may want to bring:

First I was weighed and vitals were taken as well as a blood draw. I am weighed every visit as chemo dosage is based on weight. Blood checked to make sure numbers are good enough to get chemo that day.

Secondly, I was seen by MO assistant who listened to my lungs and heart and did a breast exam. Here I could ask my questions

Once blood work results were back, I was taken to infusion room. Each patient has a recliner and a tv. There is a refreshment area for hot and cold drinks and a few choices for crackers and cookies.

Infusion nurse started the process which includes flushes and pre-meds before the AC. Then the adriamycin is given via a large hypodermic, followed by a flush, then the cytoxan is given for an hour, then more flushes. This infusion process took about 2 1/2 hours but the total visit time was closer to 4 hours I ate ice chips during the 15 mins the adriamycin was given to keep mouth sores away. My infusion center has ice but not all do. Some people bring popsicles. When chemo was done, Neulasta OnPro was placed on my belly and 27 hours later did it's thing

So, take something to occupy your time, take something to eat if you need to.

One lady on bco recommended bringing an extra top because IF the adriamycin were to spill, it's a hazardous material and if on your clothing will result in the clothing being disposed of. I have not seen anyone experiencing this first hand but did keep a spare shirt in the trunk.

Now that I am doing Taxol, I am there for a shorter period of time and only see the MO assistant every 3rd infusion. I am icing hands and feet to try to ward off neuropathy so I bring stuff for icing.

• Mari-
    Options

teese- so happy you took the Ativan. I did the same and it helps. Never had taken sleeping pill before, but it's not really a sleeping pill

Fortuna-I feel the same, now I have to do this chemo! It's not easy though, today is day 4 hoping tmrw will be better. It feels like someone hit me with a wooden stick! My bone back and belly pain are the worse. But no more heartburn. I took ometrazole! It eouke

• Mari-
    Options

she1212-good luck on 1 st chemo! Remember you have to drink a lot then pee a lot! I had the wrong shoes! Slip on s will be easy to get in and off the bed! Wear layers! So you can take it off or on! My hospital offered acumpultura. I did for nausea and Anxiety!

• Teese
    Options

Port placement went fine, ended up without sedation as I reacted instantly and they stopped. However it was not a problem at all, actual procedure about 20 minutes and just felt pressure at times and a little pulling. Definitely one of the easier things I've done. As Jen said, the breast MRI was way more stressful as my emotions were still running so high at that point.

Mari - sorry about the pain, do you think it's neulasta pain in the spine then? Hoping Day 5 is when you see things turn around.

She- I get where community is so powerful now, having people to relate too. Medicine has gotten to the point where they have good things for all the different types of BC now. We're all here for each other and I've gotten where I've finally stopped looking at everyone's diagnosis. We're your people!

Kim - you go girl, I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. What a wonderful reason for a cruise. I had signed up for the look good and feel better class, but of course it conflicted with my first chemo July 10. I will catch another one though.

Have a good evening everyone

Theresa

• Leatherette
    Options

...and, my husband has chicken pox! Really, what next? At least my chemo hasn't started yet....

• JenRuns
    Options

Teese, glad it went relatively smoothly. First day after was a little uncomfortable, but today it's barely noticeable. A little prick or twinge if I move a certain way.

Leatherette: OMG, you can't make that stuff up.... hope his recovery is quick.

• Teese
    Options

leatherette - oh your poor husband!

Jen - that's good to hear, it's not throbbing, just soreish, and annoying. Just taking it easy today and catching up on stuff needs doing in the house.

Mari - thinking about you and hoping you've turned the corner

• dmjmom
    dmjmom Member Posts: 54
    Options

Hi ladies. Hug Thank you for posting all the helpful info. I am starting chemo during the third week of July, maybe. I still have open wounds from lumpectomy/reconstruction surgery on May 24th. My MO thinks they will heal by then so I can start 8-weeks after surgery (about 4 weeks later than she would have liked). I find myself in the odd position of being hopeful that I'll be able to have chemo. Loopy My Oncotype is 23, due to my high proliferation scores (Ki67 77%, P53 72%), my doctor recommends 4 rounds of TC chemo. If the wounds aren't healed by 12-weeks she said she would just send me on for rads since it will be too late for chemo to be helpful. I've had more than a few surgeries and never had a problem with wound healing, it never crossed my mind that it might be an issue.

Has anyone done TC chemo without a port or PICC line? My MO suggested trying it with a normal IV to see how it goes, but I don't have great veins, so am leaning towards a PICC.

Debby

• Mari-
    Options

ladies - I made around the corner! What a difference, today day 6, it's def better. Still lots of heartburn. A friend at work gave the me alkalime, the natural Substance of the alkasetzer, by young living, the company that has the natural oils, that I never believed. But the pain is gone!

Leatherette-a chicken pox is better than Shingles! What timing! You both will heal together. Make sure to mention to your MO! Did you have chickenpox as a kid?

Reese-glad you are feeling better! Time!!!

Debbie- I also don't have a port. I was told that because it's ONLY 4 TC I shouldn't need! I was not given the option. We will see, I will rotate different veins. Last time they did on my hand, it's black and sore but really not bad.

• Teese
    Options

Mari - yay, that's wonderful, so glad you feel better in time for the weekend!

Debby - sorry your here with us, but glad you decided to post with us.

Theres

• theantz
    theantz Member Posts: 24
    Options

People...need suggestion.

Mine is a PT2N1a, 1 node positive, er/pr positive. Mastectomy has been done with axillary lymph clearance about 3 weeks back.

Now the question with chemo. Doc has suggested the following -

4 cycles of andriamycin + cyclo...(something) , every 3 weeks.

12 cycles of pacitaxel (weekly )

5 weeks of radio ( 5 days a week )

Is the above seem correct ? Isnt it too much ?