Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in July 2017

Options

Comments

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

As someone who just finished 8 rounds of chemo, I think your onco's suggestion is more than doable.

1. 4 AC every 3 wks. ACs are strong drugs. So 3wks would give you about 10days of minor to moderate difficulties and about 10 days of feeling back to usual self. There are a lot of good eating tips such as lemon water, pedialyte, BRAT (banana, rice, apple, ?) Diet. The best thing w 3 wks is no Neulasta shot in my opinion.

2. 12 wkly pacitaxel(Taxol) - again no Neulasata is huge here. A lot lower dosage than Dose Dense every two weeks. Bone pain and muscle pain are known side effects.

3. Radiation 5 wks - I am about to do the start same # of sessions. First of all there is about 1 month gap between chemo completion and start of rads. So it will give your body time to heal. Keywords are slathering moisturizer every chance you have and fatigue.

There are a lot of tips given by sisters. Also, listen to your body.

Mimi

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    Options

She- hoping you have a good day today and a restful night. I believe you posted first chemo is tomorrow, wishing you all the best and an uneventful day. We're right behind you cheering you on. post when you feel up to it.

Theresa

• Teese
    Options

theantz - a lot of us are getting that or the DD version of it. I can't remark on if it's what you should have though. It's tough when you have to question your Drs recommendation, I did get two opinions just because I'd read so many times that it's a good idea, so I wouldn't hesitate if you're not comfortable. Good luck and keep us informed

• Janeway10
    Janeway10 Member Posts: 14
    Options

theants,

Your treatment sounds exactly what I'm getting. I don't know my radiation schedule yet. I have an appointment for that next week. So sounds normal. My oncologist did say it may not all be needed but wanted to err on the side of caution.

I have my PET scan this Thursday and am so anxious they will find something else. I'm more nervous about that than getting my port put in on Friday.

• Enia
    Enia Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi everybody.

After reading this website for several weeks, I finally started to post yesterday and also like to join the July chemo group. I had my first dose of chemo on June 29th. After reading through the June group, I figured this one is probably more in my timeline and thus fits better. I'm doing neoadjuvant chemo. That is the reason why I am not staged yet. I have lymph node involvement, but that was diagnosed by needle biopsy and ultrasound of two nodes. Thus, they don't have the big picture yet. But due to high tumor markers and lympho-vascular invasion I'm probably a stage III of some kind. Since no distant metastasis were found by imaging, I stick to stage III until proven otherwise.

As you can see at my signature, I'm getting high-dense 2 weekly AC right now. (It's EC here in Germany, but actually quite the same). Since it took about 4 weeks from diagnosis to first treatment, I wasn't scared about treatment at all. I just wanted it to finally begin. Yet, I was prepared for the worst, and hoped for the best. Laugh at me, but I ordered "meals on wheels" for I am living on my own and figured, if I am all sick, I should at least have one decent meal a day. Besides, I've never been much of a cook. As a police officer working shifts, I was in the habit of stuffing fast food in my body for many years...

Fortunately, my first chemo on June 29th has been really uneventful so far. I was feeling all well during the infusion, and only developed some diffuse leg/hip pain about 3 hours later. But that on a level which wouldn't even require pain treatment. It wasn't caused by the Neulasta shot because I administered that myself not before the following day. It didn't make anything worse. I still developed the same diffuse leg pain at late afternoon. Same on the third day, and now on the fourth day, everything is well. Thus, there is a big chance that this pain wasn't caused by the chemo at all, but either by the steroids administered before chemo and the following 2 days - or the anti-nausea med "Akynzeo" which I received about 1 hour before chemo infusion.

When a bit of nausea came up the first day (mild, not serious), I decided to have a little soup without having any appetite. That did the trick. From then on, I took care as to have little snacks over the day, and also having some salt crackers at my bedside for the night. Yes, and as everybody else I force myself to drink....to drink...to drink...only getting to 100 oz with the help of some tea and coffee. I just can't get to it with water alone.

I know, every body is different, but I hope that my experiences so far can help some of you to be less scared of side effects. There is a good chance, they're mild. And I also know, it can be all different for me the second time around ;-)

• Mari-
    Mari- Member Posts: 57
    Options

enia- I also just had my first session, trying to drink a lot and today I bought fruits and veggies fresh tumaric dates and I will try to work a little on my diet. My freezer now is fool of ziplock w fruits

Mango avocado almond milk

Banana spinach dates almond milk

Oj papaya lemon tumaric

Berries apple yogurt

These are my favorite, or better the only ones I can repite. Papaya is really good for your GI! The banana smoothie got me thru one of my days. Now I am adding. Little tumaric. Today was first day. Lentils were my meal on my first day of chemo! Soft and has protein. Trying really to eat healthier. Drinking also hibiscos tea, no caffeine!

My bone pain is finally better, couldn't walk yesterday. Hopefully now I will only get better!

Ants- most important thing is yo trust your tx. I had a local recurrence ( BMX 41/2 years ago) after my MX I had a lumpectomy. I am doing 4 TC tx but I had no nodes. I will have 5 weeks of radiation and switching from tamoxifen to aromatize inhibitors. All tx look a lot, if you not sure you should get a second opinion. You need to be sure of what you doing!

Teese- water pick is ok, buy biotene for rinsing it helps w dry/sore mouth. Also remember the chew some ice.

She- good luck tmrw! Slip on shoes! Lots of drinks and if you are antsy they can get you lorazepam or something similar. It helps!

• Enia
    Options

Mari- I'm also trying to eat a bit healthier and bought some fruits and veggies. But I am very limited when it comes to fruits. I have allergies against lots of berries and stone fruits. Doctors warned, please NOT to experiment right now with it. Happy

So, I ended up with bananas and wine grapes which are fruits against I've never shown allergic reactions. Veggies are ok though. So I even ate a salad yesterday which I, admittedly, haven't done often before. Well, not as my "main meal" that is.

I drink less coffee, but still have about 2 big cups a day. And my doctor told me to keep vaping (stopped smoking 3 yrs. ago) during chemo, for it would be way more stressful for the body to fight withdrawal symptoms of any kind during chemo. I shall let go of it after treatment. Yet, I now bought vaping fluids with minimum and zero nicotine.

Well, for everyone to see...I haven't lived exactly a healthy life so far. I think, it might have contributed to my condition, but is most likely only one of many factors.

• theantz
    theantz Member Posts: 24
    Options

TeeseJaneway10Mari-

Thanks a lot for replies and wishes.

I did took couple of opinions - the first one gave me the following -

AC for 4 cycles + 3 weeks of Radio.

Second Doctor, gave the following -

AC for 4 cycles + 12 sessions for Paclitaxel + 5 weeks of Radio.

With so much varied and different approach, I am sure If I visit third doctor, the response would be again different - then how to choose ? !

Also, for now, the medicines being prescribed are for a "Precaution" - just for the sake of few cells may or maynot be roaming in blood stream. My question is, if I do undergo 4 sessions, and then what would doctor recommend ? HOw would he decide to stop, or prescribe more chemo ? PET is out of the question, as it would take few months before a mm long lump is found and tracked by PET...

• Teese
    Options

Theantz - well they certaining haven't made it easy for you! I canunderstand you're frustration.

She - thinking of you today and sending good vibes your way plus a prayer.

Mari - glad the bone pain has passed. Enjoy your good days this week.

Enia - I think Meals on Wheels was so smart of you. I've been also trying to up my game when it comes to nutrition. Here's the one thing I'm worried about. I'm quite concerned with how to get all that fluid in when queasy. I remember drinking a ton when pregnant and I was queasy and throwing up right up to delivery, but I'm not sure it was 100oz a day. Well I'll know for sure in a week!

Janeway - the reality of scanxiety is so potent, ugh, prayer sent for clear PET scan. Had mine right after diagnosis and thought I would faint when I opened the report to read it. I needed it for my second opinion and they let me have it without a Dr seeing it first. I was so relieved I cried. How did the port go? Mine is fine, however I didn't get any real instructions on activity after. They just said take it easy the next day. I was so happy to go I didn't ask anything else. What were you told?

Hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful summer day!

Theresa

• she1212
    she1212 Member Posts: 12
    Options

update on chemo....needed to move to this Thursday and not today. Bummer. Doc needed one more heart test and couldn't fit it in and the holiday put all appointments behind. Get it on wed.

New start date is Thursday!

Ready to attack the cancer. Thanks ladies!

• theantz
    Options

Ladies !

Further update on my meds and schedule. From my last meeting with Doc, and on questioning him, prodding him with many many questions, he changed the med course from ATC to the following -

TC Therapy - which would include Paclitaxel and cyclophosphamide ( he dropped AC , and I am so glad after reading so much about Adriamycin ) .

Chemo Port insertion on 17th under general anesthesia - what should I expect in this procedure? Anything to worry about ?

First Chemo dose of Paclitaxel + Cyclo on 17th itself.

Schedule for Paclitaxel is 3 times a week. And for Cyclo it's once every 3 weeks.

How does the above look now ?

Even though I have 10+ days left, I am very anxious/scared about chemo port insertion. I was infact willing to go IV - but doctor insisted that arm veins are too thin and fragile to take a load of chemo. Even If I went ahead with one cycle, eventually would have to go for it in the next..but it gives me the creep thinking about the same procedure - admission early morning, fasting, general anaesthesia, OT and what not.

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    Options

theantz, I had my port placed on Thursday and barely notice it already. It was tender for a few days, but nothing a little Tylenol couldn't handle.

The procedure itself was a breeze - I had a "twilight" and felt nothing.

• theantz
    Options

Was yours also done under general anaesthesia ?

• JenRuns
    Options

no, I had a twilight...

• theantz
    Options

This is strange. I talked to my doc, to have the port inserted via Twilight Sedation, but he is against this procedure. As per him he dont want to fiddle around the neck and main arteries/veins when a person is awake and fidgety. Really confused now - I dont want to repeat the same ordeal of operation which I underwent an hour back, but at the same time dont want to change the doc.

• Enia
    Options

theantz-

3 doctors -> 4 opinions. My port was done by a radiologist who also was a surgeon. When asking for sedation (just asking, if there would be any, not necessarily wanting one), he said that unless I am a serious anxiety case, he doesn't want his patients being even sedated. It would be much easier for him and patient, if he could get reliable patient feedback at any time during operation. Besides, I could drive home by myself right after surgery. Turned out he was right. During putting the little tube in the vein he asked if that was ok. Well, it actually did hurt a bit and I told him it's a bit painful, but still ok. He said that "ok" is not good enough. He can try placing the tube in other direction bc in some spots there are many nerves while there aren't in others. That did the trick. Since the whole procedure was a cakewalk compared to everything else, this experience gave me lots of trust in this particular surgeon who, as far as I know, unfortunately won't have a part in my further treatment.

NOW having said that - we shouldn't underestimate our doctors. You consider yourself "anxious/scared" about port insertion. Thus, chances are that your doctor would give a complete different advise to another patient and thinks in your case it's best to go for general anesthesia. If, in your case, he considers "fidgety" a possible occurrence while operating, it is probably wise to take the safe road.

• JenRuns
    Options

Enia, it could be the difference between an interventional radiologist and a general surgeon -- they are different specialties with different training. I would generally go with what the physician is most comfortable with. (That said, I had my port placed by an interventional radiologist. Most people I talked to said that's the ideal approach, so I took it. Not sure if it's because they do this kind of stuff all the time.)

• pingpong1953
    pingpong1953 Member Posts: 273
    Options

Started chemo yesterday. First, had my PICC line put in, took my 3 premeds and had the FEC combo with no problems. I live in northern Ontario, which is pretty sparsely populated, but there are Cancer Centres in the larger cities that serve these communities. The one where my oncologist is located is about 2 hours away, so I've been there quite a few times these past couple of months but I'll be having the rest of my treatments in the city where I live. (The province has grants that help to defray the cost of the trip if you live more than 60 miles away.) There's also a fantastic volunteer group at the Centre, including a groups who knit or crochet great big blankets that are given to all new chemo patients for us to keep. The one I picked has grey, white and yellow stripes and is absolutely beautiful. Speaking of knitting, every table in each waiting area at the Centre has a basket with several types of yarn and a variety of knitting needles. While you're waiting you can start a new square or pick up one that's already been started and add a few rows. (Apparently these same volunteers take the "nice" squares and sew them together to make comforters, however not the ones we're given at 1st chemo.) I'm not sure if this is done at other hospitals, but it strikes me as such a great idea. Knitting is a nice way to relax and is much more interesting than 3-year-old magazines!

• Teese
    Options

theantz - it's easy to get caught up in these details, which cause us a ton of anxiety. I also was somewhat anxious about the procedure because of a previous bad experience 30 years ago. I absolutely wanted on the heavy side of sedation. But in the end, I reacted to the combination versed/fentanyl sedation and they stopped it right away. I ended up wide awke and talking to them. It went fine. I also had an interventional radiologist.

I would go with your MD's preferred method as he feels things turn out better for his patients that way. However if you have a lot of trouble with general anesthesia you can ask for a referral to a doc that would do the sedation. I feel bad as this is just one more wrinkle that's making it all hard for you.

Ping pong - your center sounds really nice. Mine is a large research hospital, and even though I like the Drs and nurses, am in a clinical trial and feel very confident I'm getting the best care in this area, I have to say that the infusion center itself is the pits, ugh. I also drive 2 hours to get there. I take a yoga class for cancer patients here in town at the local infusion center, and it's a most beautiful and comfortable place, not like the one I'll use

We're all grateful you decided to post here with us.

Matryoshka and she good luck tomorrow on starting chemo, prayer said for a uneventful smooth infusion. Post when you feel up to it.

Well I woke up with a red puffy area the diameter of a lemon around one end of my incision. This is the first hiccup since surgery which was 7 1/2 weeks ago. It's healed beautifully. So this afternoon we're heading back to see the surgeon. A four hour round trip! Sigh I so don't want to do this today, but chemo starts Monday and I don't want any delays. Such is life.

Theresa

• JenRuns
    Options

good luck with your appointment, Teese... hoping it's something easily "fixed."

• Teese
    Options

I got home a little while ago, my BS said ordinarily she'd say it will resolve on its own, but in light of chemo beginning on Monday, she gave me a prescription for antibiotics and sent a text with a picture of the areato my MO. Both agreed I could continue with the plan to start on Monday. Yay! I'm sick of waiting.

• she1212
    she1212 Member Posts: 12
    Options

just finished my 1st ac! Went well...port great...a little nausea not too bad (yet)...taking the anti nausea meds helps I hope! Took a few hours went by fast due to all the med staff doing intro to chemo talk.

The steroids give you a nice boost. Pee red.

I'm eating and drinking through out.

Good luck everyone!

• JenRuns
    Options

Teese, glad to hear!

She1212: congrats on #1! I have "chemo 101" tomorrow at the MO office. Curious to see what they teach, considering all the info I've seen on these boards. So much to process and prepare for ... especially not knowing what effect it'll have on me.

• theantz
    Options

she1212 - lovely news considering almost negligible side effects. Take care from 4th to 7th day of chemo.

Teese - the doctor is an surgical oncologist - he would be the primary doc for me, and would in turn coordinate with Medical Oncologist for chemo drugs.

Even though I was operated a month back, but in a very general sense, it do not want to be called in the hospital at 6 AM, perform all pre-operative tests, wheel me in at 9AM, tube put in, anxious waiting time for family outside, tendency for vomit later, and back in senses by lunch time only. Then nothing to drink or eat for another couple of hours. When all of this is done, chemo dose of paclitaxel starts ....

I am not in favor of what doc is recommending, but otherwise he is a good fellow. I dont like the process of converting day care procedures to full fledged hospital stay crap...

• Teese
    Options

theantz - I see your point, what have you decided to do?

She- it sounds like everything went uneventful, exactly the way we like it. Definitely take those nausea meds on the dot, at least this first dose as you see how things go. I've read on here where ladies set their alarms during the night so that it never had a chance to get out of control. I think I'll do that too, even though I've never had too much issue except during pregnancy. Then it was really bad.

Drink, drink, drink that water. My chemo nurse did tell me something I had not read online. Load up on water the first 3 nights as the cytoxan causes bladder problems when you let it sit for hours in there. Irritation that can cause it to bleed. They said they want you to pee several times a night.

Jen- I had chemo class a couple weeks ago, it was informative for logistics, and the one hint about cytoxan. I was glad I went.

Pingpong, Matryoska, Enia- hope you're doing well, post when you can

For those who've started chemo, hoping for tolerable days. We'll all be there very soon.

Theresa

• Matryoshka
    Matryoshka Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hello all! Just want to drop in and report that I had my first chemo session today! The doctor swopped my regimen and had me do taxol (paclitaxel) first instead of AC.

I was talking a mile a minute to my friend right before the pre-med infusion, but almost immediately felt drowsy and fell asleep when it started. I didn't even realized they began the actual chemo!

But sadly I couldn't do the icing of limbs, it was so, so, so painful! :(

Was really hungry after the session, ate a lot and let the fatigue claimed me. Woke up about 4 hours later now and feeling quite ok. So here I am!

Anyone on taxol who have similar experience with increased appetite? :) Would really appreciate any advise what to expect over the next few days!

• Janeway10
    Janeway10 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Got my port put in today. I have no recollection of the procedure. When I woke up they asked if there was anything I needed and I said Benedict Cumberbatch. They asked whose that? I guess they haven't seen Dr Strange or Sherlock.

Watching Star Trek now and listening to storms outside. Chemo starts on Monday.

Good luck to us all!

• Matryoshka
    Options

Just read through the previous posts, thanks for remembering my first chemo date, Teese! You are such a sweetie!

I am not on these boards as much as I like because of work, my condition and also caring for my bedridden father who had two strokes within the last three years. Although nowadays, I am more of the entertaining and keeping a lookout role for him only, rather than actual caring cos of my condition. He is such a joy though, never gave up on smiling, his positivity, and bringing joy to the people around him. This makes me all the more determined to recover as best as I can!

Oh and theantz, you probably already have a confirmed plan for your treatment, but would like to share a bit of my own experience, if it helps.

I am getting the full works, chemo, radiation after and five years of hormone therapy (ovary suppression and aromatase inhibitors instead of just tamoxifen as my Medical Onco felt she wants me to benefit from the addition few percent of survival rate on this regimen). I was really worried and stressed out about overtreatment, it really seems like ALOT.

But the Onco told me, you are young (I am 34), and most likely to be able to make a good recovery from the treatments, and we want you to have the best shot at survival possible, even if each treatment only adds on a small percentage, we still want you to have it.

Felt the sincerity and thought put into it, so I say, alright then, let's strap up and get going!

Only thing that boughs me down a little is my decision not to preserve my eggs. But I won't be able to think about getting pregnant for the next 5 to 6 years anyways, and I am single, so keeping the faith that if I am meant to be a mother, I will. :

• Matryoshka
    Options

Awwww janeway10, Benedict Cumberbatch is awesome! Funny story to share. I had a second opinion at another local hospital back when I was first diagnosed.

I'd only seen female doctors up to that point, and when I went into the Consultation room and saw a Cumberbatch lookalike doctor, my first thought was legit "is he gonna touch my boobs?!"

The session went well and professionally (I managed to keep my head). But after that, my friend who was with me commented that he really look like Cumberbatch, and I just lost it and could not stoplaughing.

Just one of those fun memories of my entire experience with cancer.

All the best for your upcomingfirst sesh!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

matryoshka- I have had 6 of 12 Taxol chemo treatments. I find the Benadryl in the pre-meds make me drowsy for a few hours and the steroids make me hungry and make sleeping the first night rough as I am wide awake all night.

You mentioned you couldn't ice your limbs. What method did you try?

I get bone/joint pain 3-4 days after the treatment and found taking Aleve helps with that. Hope you skip this SE.

How many rounds of Taxol will you get?