Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in July 2017

Options

Comments

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    Options

tesse, i think the clot is getting better, the ankle does not seem as puffy, doc did not call it dvt but when i pointed it out to my onc, she sent me for ultrasound of both legs and sent me home with script for zerelto, Sloan is great and moves quickly on things. It doesnt hurt, but my socks still leave a mark at end of day

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    Options

Proud..praying your clot resolves and not something you have to deal with long term

Teese..hope your hubby is ok! So good to hear your skin is healing well!

My skin was well enough last week to run! My nipple was the last bad spot and I was able to stop using the mepiplex pads on that area on Sunday!! It looks and feels pretty good. Skin is just slightly darker in those areas and I still feel some tightness in the armpit area when doing yoga so just gently stretching. I made an appt to color my hair for next week. I am going to gal that I ordered wig from and she has colored post chemo hair many times. I just don't care for the grey. I want to look like myself again. Yes I know the grey is probably my natural color but the whole world does not need to know that. ;) I also started acupuncture this week. Hoping it helps with side effects (some stiffness and those damn hot flashes). I was unable to do acupuncture during chemo...My MO was concerned about an infection from the needles and said no when I asked. Nurses told me my MO just overly cautious with most things. Teese are you still doing acupuncture?

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    Options

Runnermum, stopped the acupuncture about a month after chemo ended. Will restart if the AI I just started causes any stiffness and joint pain. So far so good. So glad to hear your doing well, healed and running.

Hubby was put on a course of steroids because he can't take Aleve and the like. It was like magic. He's walking like normal. His MRI is this evening. They're thinking a bakers cyst.

Proud, glad you're seeing improvement, and that your team is quick to move.

It's miserable, cold and raining. I'm staying busy with my scrapbooking, finished one book and almost finished one from a cruise we took years ago. I once was caught up to date, but then got busy with other things and now I'm years behind. Oh well.

Have a good day

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

Hi everyone, I have been busy for different doctors appointments plus tried to get ready for Chinese New Year. I haven to any heavy cleaning for the house for months, now we are cleaning little by little. Also my energy isn’t there yet so I can only do an hour each day.

Teese, I hope your husband is doing better. I don’t know what is bakers cyst. My skin is getting better now and started using my pump already.

Runnermum, my nipple got burned also, worse was my collarbone area. One thing good skin heals fast.

Proud, glad to know your clot is getting better, how are you doing now?

• Teese
    Options

Paulette, glad your skin is better, I saw the picture you posted and my collarbone area looked the same. But as you said, things healed quickly. My follow up with the RO is Monday.

Bakers cyst is a fluid filled sack that forms due to a torn meniscus, arthritis and some other things.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    Options

paulette, feeling ok, been doing pt at cancer center since i have a messed up back, very good really. I have orders not to make funky moves and got exercises to strenthen my legs, it is helping, i have a ultrasound set for the end of month and that will show if the blood clot has disolved

• PauletteK
    Options

Iris, glad to know you are doing better. Hang in there, I feel for you on this long journey. Hugs!!!

Have a good weekend ladies, smile! Enjoy each day of life. I’m keep telling myself this.

• sunnyjay
    sunnyjay Member Posts: 143
    Options

Hello Ladies, Happy Valentine's Day!! Just checking in since it's been a while... I think in my last post I was about to travel to Vegas for DH's bday weekend. Considering we're not huge gamblers we had a blast taking in all types of entertainment. As we were getting ready to go home, my hubby found out that his sister had a stroke. So the following weekend we traveled to Los Angeles to visit her. Thank God it was a mild stroke. Her speech improved just in the few days we were there, and was able to walk on her own. So she is expected to recover, slowly but surely. When we were visiting with her, she had friends (a couple) visiting at the same time. I leaned that in the last couple of years, the husband had suffered a stroke and the wife had a heart issue. But what stood out to me was their positivity! They didn't let their disabilities bring them down. They kept encouraging my sister in law to keep a great attitude, and not to stress over little things. They also had a great sense of humor that lifted up her spirits.

I tried my best to stay positive throughout this journey, and couldn't have made it through without BCO and especially all of you. In about a month it will be a year since my diagnosis. So that means I'll be getting my mammo done soon. I'll also ask for an ultrasound if that's not part of the protocol. Are there any other tests I should ask for?

Hope everyone is doing well and adjusting to our new normal...

• PauletteK
    Options

Hi Sunny, time goes by fast isn’t it? Sorry to hear about your sister in law, glad she recover fast. Our body really is amazing. I will also not stress over little thing enjoy each day.

I’m waiting till April to do my mammogram under my RO instruction, my surgeon said he wants me to have MRI around June that will be one year after my surgery. I have dense breast even US couldn’t find my lump last time.

I started my Hormonal therapy for couple days, so far so good. I am searching good calcium supplement since I have osteoporosis, if you have any good suggestions please let me know.

Happy Valentine’s Day........

• Leatherette
    Leatherette Member Posts: 272
    Options

Hello All,

I hope you all had a good Valentine’s day. For mine, I got my tissue expander placed and a tiramisu cupcake. I had more pain yesterday than today, and found out that hydrocodone isn’t much better for me than oxycodone (side effect of major itching). Good news is, I think I don’t have to worry about being an opiod crisis statistic. I’m lucky I’m not in pain, or at least, not much. It’s nice to have a ‘mound’ rather than a ‘dent’ on my left side. They filled it more than I expected, probably because I had skin sparing and had space to ‘grow’.

I was working a lot up till yesterday, so I’m not on BCO or Facebook a lot, but thinking about all of you!

I got my first post chemo haircut on Sunday! I went to a really cool lady barber who specializes in styled crewcuts, and I’m glad to be out of the ‘monchichi’ phase.

Gentle right side side hugs to you lovely ladies.

L

• Clynnejohn505
    Clynnejohn505 Member Posts: 19
    Options

I’m really late joining. I started chemo July 27 and had last one Nov. 9. 6 rounds of TCHP. I was wondering if anyone who has completed chemo for a few months continue to have stomach/bowel issues?

• Leatherette
    Options

Hi Clynne,

I did TCH from July 25 to Nov.9, so very much like yours. My stomach makes a lot of weird noises, and there’s a lot of air in my system, but other than that, everything is working well

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    Options

Hi Clynne ... no issues here really, other than ongoing neuropathy from the Taxol. Chemo seems to be the gift that keeps on giving...

• sunnyjay
    Options

Leatherette, welcome to the TE club!  I had mine put in right after surgery 9 months ago so I had to deal with the weekly fills up until chemo.  Now that chemo & radiation is done, I hope to see my PS soon to plan the reconstruction.  When are you getting reconstruction?

Clynne, welcome to the group!  I didn't have any major abdominal issues during treatment, but like Jen I still have some lingering neuropathy from chemo.

I have been busy with work as well, so haven't been around the boards lately.  I met with an oncology dietitian a few weeks ago since I gained some weight during treatment (most likely from the steroids), and haven't been able to take it off.  I have been so lazy about implementing a good diet and exercise program on my own, so she's given me some guidelines to start. I'm still working on it but at least I'm more conscious about what I eat and how much.  My clinic also provides a movement class for cancer patients and survivors every Saturday mornings so I've been doing that for the last couple of weeks. It has awoken a lot of my muscles!  This has motivated me to do more exercise during the week.  

Hope everyone is doing well...  Since the posts here are sporadic, I'm hoping that NO news is GOOD news.  :) Have a great weekend!

• Leatherette
    Options

Hi Sunnyjay,

Planning to do DIEP flap recon when school gets out-late June here

• PauletteK
    Options

I have been busy with Chinese New gatherings, I haven’t been on, mostly I’m active in FB.

I’m taking Anastrozole for almost two weeks, have minor hot flashes and joints pain. Not bad for now, had a major event of contraption last week, I’m still learning how to put it under control. Other than that, I’m trying hard to get back to my normal life.

I have gained few lbs back, now I’m trying not to gain all the weight I lost. Monday is coming, everyone have a good week.

• Teese
    Options

Hi all, been very busy with small issues my hubby's been going through, minor in scope but major in misery. I think he's over it all now. I keep wondering if all the stress of carrying the majority of the load and responsibilities eventually caught up with him. No sooner was I for the most part back to normal and he went down for the count.

Many of you are getting those first mammos or scans of some sort. Had mine 2/14 which seems like a crummy way to spend Valentine's, but the radiologist where I go reads all survivors immediately and comes out with the results, so I left there happy and relieved. Also had a pelvic US to check the ovaries. They'll be coming out 3/13 along with my L breast. Have a family history and I'm more comfortable getting it over instead of worrying. Then this journey is over, hooray.

Most of you will be in the final stages of reconstruction, it's fascinating to hear all the steps. So happy to see all this wrap up in time for summer.

Clynne,welcome to the group, never too late. What GI issues are you dealing with?

Edit to add, I started my AI a couple weeks ago too. Going well. I sat there the first night and struggled with the first dose. Like everything so far staring something new was scary. Of course it was the least on a long line of things we’ve dealt with.

• Clynnejohn505
    Clynnejohn505 Member Posts: 19
    Options

Hi everyone! Stomach issues finally easing up. Seems to be major constipation. My doctor said it’s another form of the peripheral neuropathy. Ugh. Like JenRuns said chemo is the gift that keeps giving!

• JenRuns
    Options

hey gals... Teese, sorry to hear about the issues... hang in there.

Finished rads, started an AI, ovaries coming out 4/17. (CA125, ultrasound all normal, so hoping it’s all good in there!) made my appointment to get my port out on 5/11, my cancerversary. Kind of felt like it was a good way to bring the year to a close.

• Runnermum
    Options

Hi ladies..life is continuing to move forward. Some days are pretty tough. Didn't expect that. Was so excited to finish chemo I thought things would return to normal. I was wrong. I am sure all of you are experiencing it too.

I am running which is a big help. Some stiffness in Achilles and heals that sounds like a side effect from chemo and the Tamoxifen. Ibuprofen is helping and going to talk to my chiropractor this week about some possible graston therapy. She has always fixed me up before with running injuries! 😊 I ran 8 miles yesterday and feeling very hopeful i will be able to run my half marathon in May. I missed it last spring due to my diagnosis.

Will have surgery in June when done with work for summer and switch over to Arimidex after. Currently doing well on Tamoxifen besides the joint stiffness in mornings. Have my survivorship appt in 1 wks and looking forward to it!

Has anyone heard from Proud?

• sunnyjay
    Options

Hello all! It's so great to see the activity on here, no matter how few and far between. It's been a crazy few months. One of my favorite aunts passed away on 2/28 from pancreatic cancer, and we just laid her to rest on Saturday. She was diagnosed in mid-October and despite her body rejecting food, fluids, chemo, she had several miracles throughout her journey. She wasn't supposed to make it through the holidays, but we are thankful she did. I didn't want to see my cousins be without their mom during the holidays. She visited me right after my bc surgery, so it was hard to have the tables turned, and be the one visiting her in the same wing at the same hospital.

I was thinking about this group a couple of weeks ago when I attended a BC conference in San Francisco, and started to wonder how you were all doing. It was a great conference put on by the Cancer Prevention Institute of California, and most of the talks were related to survivorship and local resources. It's an annual conference, and I just found out about it a month before, so I was glad I was available to attend. I'm not involved in any BC survivor groups locally, but I'll start looking for one just so that I have like-minded ladies to chat with regularly. I do attend a weekly movement class at my clinic, specifically for cancer survivors. It's an hour and a half on a Saturday morning of various exercises (from yoga & tai-chi to weights & jazzercise). And the best part is that we are exercising to live music! A gentleman brings his keyboard, guitar and amp and plays all the music. It is a blast!

I've met with my MO twice since I finished rads, and the appointments have been non issues. I don't have any major symptoms that he is concerned about, so I don't have to see him until end of May. At that time he'll schedule the mammogram, since he wants me to wait 6 months post-rads. He said I can get the port removed, so I have to get that scheduled. Then get together with my PS to figure out the reconstruction schedule. Life's been slowly getting back to normal, so I'm really dragging my feet on these surgeries because that means I'll have to go through the healing process again...

Teese, how did your surgery go last week? Hope all went well and you're recovering with no major issues.

Runnermum, I'm on tamoxifen also and haven't had any major SEs other than fatigue and hot flashes, which hits me at the weirdest times. I saw my MO a month ago (6 weeks after I started), and he said I may feel more SEs later as I progress with the medication. Great...

• Teese
    Options

Hi all, had my surgery 4 weeks ago, was planning on a smooth recovery, but it didn't pan out. I unfortunately lost over 3 units of blood and that caused a few problems not the least of which was a Hgb before surgery of nearly 13 and after surgery 9.2. I truly felt awful, the worst on this whole journey. Finally this week I feel like I'm bouncing back, or my body is finally adjusting to such a low hgb.

However the good news is pathology was all good, so now I'm done with this mess! Hooray!!!

Runnermum how are you doing, you sounded down? What surgery in June, reconstructive?

Sunnyjay, thanks for asking about my surgery, sorry to hear about your Aunt. However your Jazzersize sounds so fun, yay!

Jen, had my port removed with my surgery, a real pleasure to have it gone, I hated the thing. Ovary removal was done laparoscopically as I'm sure yours will, no issues, easy recovery from that. Good luck and check back in to give us an update.

My daughter graduates May 5, so looking forward to it, will be gong down a few days early to see family, then later in the month we're spending a week in the Shenandoah.

Prayers and hugs

• JenRuns
    Options

wow teese, sorry to hear about the complications but glad to hear you’re recovering now.

• purplestargazer
    purplestargazer Member Posts: 31
    Options

Teese,

How awful. Wishing you a most speedy recovery! Great news on the pathology, however.

• Runnermum
    Options

Teese...wow! Scary stuff! Hope you are continuing to feel good and bounce back from surgery and treatment!

Hi Sunny! So very sorry about you aunt.

Hi Jen! will be thinking of you tomorrow during your surgery. Hope everything goes well and your treatments r complete!

I am doing good! Registered for my spring half marathon last week. It's going to be tough...not in the best of shape this year but running has helped me thru some hard days this past year and I just feel this will be a healing way to close out my first year post diagnosis.

Will either be having a full hysterectomy or ovary and fallopian tube removal in June. Ob/Gyn doc says to take it all. My oncologist says as far as he is concerned he only wants me to remove my ovaries/tubes. I am still undecided. I have the surgery scheduled but need to make a decision instructions soon. Would love the thoughts and reasons from you ladies that have done 1 or the other since diagnosis. Since I had a lumpectomy this should be my final surgery for a while.

• Teese
    Options

Jen, good luck today, prayers said for smooth easy recovery.

Runnermum, I had the ovaries and tubes out as there’s a family history of ovarian cancer, but it’s occurred to ladies in their late 70-80’s. Before my Dr felt it was just related to older age and things go wrong. Now with my diagnosis and my sisters they suggest to just get them out and be done. Also I had a hysterectomy a decade ago for fibroids. However I’d have had that done too if they ( cervix and uterus) weren’t already gone.

Back when I had the hysterectomy my GYN urged me to have the whole thing done, but no I choose not to. Ugh, however it’s done now.

Feeling stronger everyday, however nowhere as good as Pre surgery, eating healthy and using my dreadmill everyday. So doing what I can, guess I just have to wait for my bone marrow to kick out those rbc’s.

Have a good one.

• JenRuns
    Options

home a recovering well enough ;) I’m a little sore, and my dry throat is the most annoying SE ever, but all in all, doing well.

Now I wait for the pathology report. I’m terrified they’ll find something. I hope chemo killed whatever could have been in there, but I’ve heard ILC doesn’t respond as well to chemo, so who knows.

• sunnyjay
    Options

Thinking about all of you that had or are going to have more surgery, and praying for clean paths all around!  My MO doesn't think I need to have any further surgeries (other than port removal and reconstruction).  There is no history of breast or gynecological cancers in my family, but I still worry about the risk since I'm taking tamoxifen.  I still haven't met with my ob/gyn.  I've been wanting to find a new one since the one I have now is always busy and I have to book appointments so far out.  I wanted to have a checkup prior to chemo to establish a baseline, and I had to schedule with a NP.  I didn't mind as long as my doctor gets the results, but the NP couldn't answer a lot of my questions.  

Runnermum, Do you have time to get a 2nd opinion about which surgery to get?  Good luck with your decision. 

• Runnermum
    Options

Hello all!

Jen I hope you got good results and are feeling well after surgery!

Today I go in for my first post treatment mammogram. It was also 1 yr ago this week I received my diagnosis. Life continues to move forward but feeling a little anxious today.

• JenRuns
    Options

hope your mammo went well... sending good vibes your way....