Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in July 2017

Options

Comments

• castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336
    Options

Paulette,

I have used electric toothbrush and been flossing as usual. Just watch for any issues such as sensitive gum.

Epsom salt re feet. The salt is good for any achy feet to begin with. Your feet are likely swell and or temporarily darkened. Personally daily epsom salt usage for the entire chemo duration (I still do post chemo) saved me from a lot of side effect such as pains, sleep, darkening of hands and feet. I know I sound like I am selling the salt. I posted Aug 2017 chemo section in detail if you are interested.

Mimi

• Mari-
    Mari- Member Posts: 57
    Options

paulette-u can use the e brush but maybe would be nice to change setting to sensitive later when/if your mouth gets a bit sensitive. I would get biotene products. Be gentle! Don't use any mouthwash with alcohol, like listerine, biotene is mild! I was told to chew ice chips while getting infused. It helped me. My second round is tmrw! I am still nervous but I "think" I know what's going on. These posts here have helped me the most!keep everyone posted!

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    Options

I think the Epsom salts are used mostly with the Taxol infusions,to help with neuropathy pain. However all these drugs are hard on skin and nails. So I moisturizer everyday and use nail envy every other day.

Mouth sores are a thing, so I use salt water rinses after each meal, super soft toothbrushes.

During adriamycin you'll want to chew or suck on ice to decrease the chances of mouth sores. 15 min before, during and 15 min after.

Keep the questions coming

• Teese
    Options

Jen - how's the tummy today? Mine was icky till I decided to throw in the towel and take an Ativan, during the day It strangely doesn't put me to sleep, but sure helps my tummy. I finally ate well today.

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

Mimi, Mari and Teese

Thank you for the supports and info it really helps me. Will prepare myself for the mouth sore this is one of the side effects I am afraid of.

Will pack up my chemo bag ready for my first round. I have four intense rounds chemo so this will be a battle for me to face.

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    Options

thanks for asking teese :) it's definitely better now... I took compazine all day though, and will do a Monet ativan tonight. Will see if I can do without tomorrow though. It's definitely having SEs as far as "regularity" goes :) (I'll also take a magnesium pill tonight and tomorrow... my naturopath recommended it if needed.

• JenRuns
    Options

Indulge me in a moment of bat-shit-crazy: I feel guilty plucking my eyebrows. I refuse to suffer a unibrow though, so out they go. (I'll try to be gentle and not overpluck.

• Teese
    Options

no no no, absolutely no unibows, I say pluck those suckers! Haha!

• PauletteK
    Options

Hi Ladies

I have another question what should I wear on the chemo day? I do have my port on my right side.

Thanks

• Mari-
    Mari- Member Posts: 57
    Options

Paulette- fortunately I did not get mouth sores, but I did use the biotene toothpaste and rinse. You can also ask your dentist to prescribe you, what we call, miracle mix, 1/3 each lidocaine 2%, mylanta and Benadryl. It coats the mouth and the numbing will help. This mixture is very common for kids, so it should be safe for adults!!

Jen- pluck pluck pluck!

My hair is thinning all over! You are lucky

Compazine makes me constipated, so I made sure they got me zofran. Sometimes is nice to know there are options

• sunnyjay
    sunnyjay Member Posts: 143
    Options

Hope everyone is enjoying the last hours of the weekend... I've spent my weekend preparing for my first infusion this Thursday. Yesterday I went to buy Claritin to accompany Neulasta and Senokote in anticipation of constipation. The anti-nausea meds are all the prescribed ones but I went and stocked up on ginger candy & ginger tea just in case.

Also... I just finished making Rebecca Katz's infamous Magic Mineral Broth! Will be freezing several batches for next weekend. If you haven't heard about this, it's supposed to provide tons of nutrients especially if you don't have the appetite for anything else. I purchased a recipe book called "The Anti-Cancer Kitchen" and this is the go-to recipe. I just realized a few days ago that she posted the recipe on her website:

http://www.rebeccakatz.com/magic-mineral-broth/

Her recipe is for 8 quarts, so I halved it because that seemed like a lot. It lacks protein so I may add some shredded chicken to one if the batches later.

Now allow me to vent a little... Up to this point, my medical team has been on the ball from my Nurse Navigator to my surgeon and hospital staff. But I have had issues with the Oncology team with scheduling... My MO was awesome when I first met with him and we set up our next meeting, no problem. But when I was contacted to schedule my chemo 101 and infusions, the timing got messed up somehow. I didn't know my MO works out of 2 offices that are 30 min apart so I guess I can see how the scheduling can get confusing. But they really dropped the ball on my port placement. I had mentioned (to my MO) that I wanted to get a port due to my small veins at our FIRST meeting and he said he would refer me back to my BS, whom I really liked. So I waited for a call to schedule the surgery and nothing. I sent a message to my MO during the week of 4th of July regarding the scheduling mix-ups and when I should get the port surgery. The schedule finally got figured out but again I never heard about the port surgery. So I figured like some of you, I would get it done the day of my infusion.

Last Thursday, when I meet the Oncology nurse for the chemo 101 session she aaked if I had a port. I said no, and that I hadn't heard anything from my MO's office. She took a look at my arm and noticed my lack of veins and she said I NEED to have a port in place and she would send a message to my MO. So on Friday I finally got a call from someone to schedule the port placement. The only date I could do it was Wed (chemo is on Thurs) and she shot me down and said it had to be done earlier to allow for the skin to heal. Ugh! So I scheduled it for Tuesday. Then I find out I need to reserve 4 hours for a surgery that will only last an hour if that. What?! So I guess this is going to be done under GA... Double UGH!

On Friday night, I went online to see the details of my appt. It turns out that she double-booked me on Tuesday. I'm supposed to meet with my MO at the same time. Now how do you not see the conflict on my schedule? I know they can see all my appointments and see where there is a conflict so I don't know why she didn't see it. So I sent out a frantic message to my MO and hopefully he can see me on Wed instead.

So I have been trying not to let this stress me out, but I also had to make sure my husband can take the day off to take me for port surgery. Luckily, he was able to on such short notice.

Ok... Rant over. :) Hope the ymmy soup has cooled down as I wrote this so I can pack it all up. Have a good night and a great week to come!

• PauletteK
    Options

Hi Sunnyjay - sorry to hear all the stress you are having. I got my port last Friday it does hurt a little especially on my neck. I heard of people actually have chemo on the same day as they put the port. I really don't know how that would work. Today is my third day I still don't feel comfortable with my port.

I'm having my chemo a day after you. Good luck to both of us. Hope your schedule work out the best

• JenRuns
    Options

sunnyjay, that bites, sorry. I hate the confusion/lack of planning, especially as a planner!! Ibpve heard a number of people get their port and start that same day. Makes for a long day, but it's doable.

Paulette, I wore a tank top and button down shirt over. When it gets colder out, I'll switch to a hoody with the tank top. My port is also on the right. The nurse just asked that I don't wear anything with a high collar. I also wore comfy capris (cotton). It's a long time to be sitting....

• she1212
    she1212 Member Posts: 12
    Options

hair dilemma....getting second ac tomorrow.....I haven't lost any hair yet and was scheduled to have any head shaved today but wondering if I will loose hair this week?

Really dragging my feet on this as my girls will kindnif freak when I get to the bald se.

Bite the bullet or drag my feet?

• she1212
    she1212 Member Posts: 12
    Options

hair dilemma....getting second ac tomorrow.....I haven't lost any hair yet and was scheduled to have My head shaved today but wondering if I will loose hair this week?

Really dragging my feet on this as my girls will kindnif freak when I get to the bald se.

Bite the bullet or drag my feet? 😀

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    Options

Hi she1212, I was told hair loss starts around when you start the second AC, but some people get until day 19. I've been all over these boards looking for advice, I have long hair, and the consensus seems to be that it is much more traumatic to have the hair falling out and then cut it. I plan to do the first AC and then buzz it.

I think I read one person say her hair didn't fall out

• sunnyjay
    Options

Paulettek & JenRuns, thanks for the support. I'm not going to let this get to me. I'm just going to have faith that it will all work out!

She1212, I start my first infusion this Thursday, and I cut my hair short after surgery since it was hard to put my hair in ponytails with my limited arm movement. When I found out I had to do chemo, I was going to get it cut shorter and shorter just to get used to the look. But I didn't.

Maybe just get a shorter cut or a pixie cut this week and wait to shave until it starts to fall out. Then it won't be so drastic for your girls.

• JenRuns
    Options

I say get rid of the hair..... for me, the trauma of cleaning up piles will be more awful

• Kaso
    Kaso Member Posts: 18
    Options

VL22- did your stage change from biopsy to surgury pathology; hence your different dates and staging? Why did you go on chemo with the pathology you posted? How could your receptors change from + to -? My followup from lumpectomy/snl is today and wonder what changes I am in store for.....

• Teese
    Options

Hair

My MO said right off, don't shave, so did my hairdresser and the place I've ordered my wig. Since this is completely opposite of advice on here I've decided to wait and see. I have short hair that I had cut shorter than normal just before chemo, but not a buzz cut.

It seems the short stubble is irritating when it rubs on the scarves, hats and wigs. So I'm in a holding pattern for now.

We shall see

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902
    Options

Tesse- my hair was almost to my waist when DX. I cut it short (inch or so long) just before chemo so there would be less on the pillow case each morning. I never did the buzz cut but by AC 3 I looked like I had mange as there were patches of hair here and there. I took a shower and really scrubbed my scalp and most of the mange patches fell out. Felt much better being bald vs mange-like.

Now that I have been bald for couple of months, I realize how much faster and easier showers are and may not grow my hair back as long when this journey is over.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    Options

Kaso- my pathology was called "complicated". Two small tumors both strongly ER+ We're found via screening. During lumpectomy a third tumor was found - 1cm TN - thus the chemo. I was staged at 1b because a single cancer cell was found in an intra mammary node.

• theantz
    theantz Member Posts: 24
    Options

Yaaaay !!

Port is in ... painful to touch, but one episode finish! As luck would have it, surgeon did not received the OT he booked for giving GA - so finally it was done under local + sedation !

Chemo which was scheduled today has been postponed to Saturday/

Question - oncologist has put this question to me - which one would you choose ?

Weekly paclitaxel for 12 weeks + 4 doses of cyclophosphamide every 3 weeks.

Or

Three weekly docetaxel + 4 doses of cyclophosphamide every 3 weeks

Or

adriamycin + cyclophosphamide + 12 weekly doses of paclitaxel.

Selection should be based on quality of life + side effects. As per him, standard practice says ACT , but since mine is slow growing ( ki67 was 11%), and just one node positive, even CT would do. So instead of taking a decission he has put the ball in my court. Also, percentage wise, taking Adriamycin increases the chances in our favor by 3% ...is it worth this small fraction ?

• Teese
    Options

dodgersgirl - thanks, I was hoping to do the same, just let it go on its own with a helping hand once it got to a certain point. But like all plans it could change at anytime

I've put off ordering head covers till today, it just screamed cancer patient to me, I forced myself to get something, and I'm now so down. Ugh, this emotional roller coaster is the pits. I did it with my daughter hoping we could make it fun. Nope, I fought tears the whole time, I refused to cause her more upset than I have to, so I got through without crying.

Oh well, moving on. On a more positive note, 5 weeks till my last AC and then one week of SE and I'll never take adriamycin ever again! Yay! Praying Taxol is truly less hard on the tummy.

Dmjmom, Paulette, and sunnyjay I think you guys are up this week for first infusion. Prayers and hugs going your way for calm and peace. For me Pre infusion (all of us I'm sure) it was nerve wracking and no one had words that could calm me.

BUZZBEE , KimE, hopeforthefuture - I think these are your early days post chemo hoping for manageable SE

Theantz - I've lost track, when do you start yours?

She - I thinkyou get #2 today, prayers said for uneventful peaceful day

Mari - I know you're getting TC x 4, how far apart are they?

Matryoshka- I know you're pressed for time and may not be on here much, we continue to wish you good infusions and manageable SE. I can't remember if you're every two or three weeks.

Enia - I think this is day 5 of #2. How are you doing?

Theresa

• Teese
    Options

theantz - yay, one big step forward and it went well, especially after all the drama they were causing you.

As far as what to choose, I can't help, they had to throw everything at me and I never did any research into it.

So chemo starts Saturday, I know it'll be good to get going, the sooner we get it behind us.

Theresa

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    Options

Hi ladies I have been reading this thread for the past weeks...still can't believe I am here. I had a lumpectomy and re-excision in June. 1 positive node was found so chemo was added to the plan. I had my chemo class today and MUGA scan. My port will be put in next Monday morning and I begin chemo on Tuesday, the 25th. 4 x DD AC, followed by 4 x DD Taxol. I have my shopping list and will get those items this week. Mostly ready to begin treatments and start counting down. I am not so nervous yet...more so ready to be done and I know the quicker I get going, the sooner I will be done. I frequently train for and run half and full marathons. I am trying to stay focused and follow the "plan" like I would for any race I train for. This maybe the hardest race I will train for but the reward will be worth it in the end.

• Runnermum
    Runnermum Member Posts: 346
    Options

theantz...our stats are similar. My Oncologist discussed the different types and recommend DD AC & DD Taxol. I figured he knew more than me and followed his recommendation.

• sunnyjay
    Options

theantz, We have a similar situation. My MO exolained the options and thought TC would be fine for me, with the low ki and micrometastases less than 1mm. Do you know how big the spread to the lymph node was?

• JenRuns
    Options

Welcome, runnermum... nice to see you from the surgery board :) I'm on a similar chemo path, without the DD taxol. I'll do 12 weeks of a weekly taxol infusion.

Hair: I should clarify... I'm not certain whether I'm being shaved or buzzed. I am going to the wig shop where I bought my wig. The nurses at my MO office love her, so I'm putting my faith in her recommendation. It'll be done Thursday, which is about a week ahead of when I would expect to lose my hair. I've already seen onesie twosies come out. Now I'll be watching for the "other" hair. I'm telling you, my left armpit hair can't fall out soon enough, since I can barely reach it to shave with the electric razor!!!

Theantz, glad the port worked out how you wanted!! Boy, that's a rough choice... I don't know what I'd offer as advice. I'm doing A/C (which we hear is awful), but honestly, isn't it all awful, really? Anything to increase my odds .... though I wasn't given a choice! I'll be sending thoughts of peace and clarity for you as you consider your options.

• PauletteK
    Options

Ladies,

Good luck to the ladies who start the first chemo that included myself. I know we are strong and ready to fight this battle! 💪💪 good luck to all of us and we count these days together! ❤️