Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in July 2017

Options

Comments

• PauletteK
    PauletteK Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

I planned not to get my wig for now, my plan is using my scarf and get a knit cap for night. I know I will cry when my hair are falling off but I have to tell myself it is going to grow back in months. Hugs!!

• Teese
    Teese Member Posts: 355
    Options

Paulette - I know, funny how the hair loss is so distressing in light of all that is going on with us. Oh well, we will persevere and it'll be a new normal soon enough.

Hello runnermum, I'm on the same DD regimen, at least we'll get through it as fast as possible. In 6 days I get my second AC and I'll be relieved to be 50% finished with it, and 25% of the way through the whole thing. It was hard waiting for it to get started, now I think of it as an awful semester of school, just 16 weeks, we can so handle that. ( I never liked school, it was a means to an end and college was the worst)

Have a good day, ladies! Hugs!

• theantz
    theantz Member Posts: 24
    Options

I am at my wits end. Totally confused.

Surgical oncologist suggested TC

Medical oncologist in the same hospital suggested AC+T

With contradiction, surgical onco has backed off, and is back on standard AC+T

If I go with AC+T the duration would be 6 months.

If I go with just TC, all would be done in 3 months.

Will see another oncologist tomorrow. This is ridiculous.

• Loveformywife
    Loveformywife Member Posts: 2
    Options

Day 1 AC for my wife today. We are here right now. Tried on some wigs beforehand.

• TSmith76
    TSmith76 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I've been lurking and reading and soaking in all the great info here, but figured I'd jump in as well. I am waiting to hear from my MO office with date this week for my PET scan and EKG. Start DD AC on 7/27 and will have it every two weeks for 8 weeks followed by Taxol every two weeks for another 8 weeks. Port placement is 7/26, day before 1st chemo. I am nervous as I will be trying to work through all this as much as possible.

Right now I'm making lists and gathering information, so I can hit the store for all the tricks I keep reading about. I appreciate all the ladies that take the time to post!

• JenRuns
    JenRuns Member Posts: 299
    Options

welcome, loveformywife.... hope today goes well for her. (I'm in Michigan too!)

TSmith: welcome! I'd suggest checking out the boards for ladies who started in May and June too. It'll give you an idea of what to expect and what you need.

Dealing mostly with indigestion these days ... hoping the MO can give me a script for something more effective than my OTC stuff.

• PauletteK
    Options

Loveformywife- good luck to your wife first day of chemo let us know how does she feel.

TSmith - good luck I'm here to pick up all the info and get ready for my 21st Chemo. All of us are nervous but we know we can see the rainbow on the end

• PauletteK
    Options

JenRuns - did you take some tums ? Would that help at all

• Teese
    Options

theantz - the first surgeon I went to gave all kinds of recommendations on treatment etc. I ended up getting a second opinion and that's the surgeon I went with. She completely stepped aside once surgery was over and the oncologist took over. But I can see how it can happen after what my first surgeon suggested. Has your oncologist ever mentioned DD AC- T, mine is scheduled to last 16 weeks, 4 doses each every two weeks.

Loveformywife - yay, the hardest part I think was the initial infusion, and you guys are past that now. What will your wife's regimen, every 2 or 3 weeks? And just AC? Let us know how it goes, glad your posting here with us, sorry that you have to be here.

TSmith - welcome, ditto what Jen said, I still follow the gals in April, May, and June.

Jen - sorry for your indigestion, mines minor, but I'm just dealing with low grade queasy that I hate. Feel pregnant again, ugh!

Paulette - I love your attitude, please keep posting

• JenRuns
    Options

tried tums, but was chewing them like Pez. So, it was Zantac that the nurse recommended. I think your description is spot on, Teese... it's like being pregnant again. Without the fun :)

• Teese
    Options

Bwa Ha Ha Ha! You got that right! LOL!

• Janeway10
    Janeway10 Member Posts: 14
    Options

PauletteK,

My radiation oncologist said don't take tums. It provides a temporary fix but then comes back later. She said find something with aluminum in it if you want really take care of it. She said avoid the stuff with calcium in it as that can cause more heartburn

• PauletteK
    Options

I don't have kid so never have the pregnant experience so God must want me to have this experience through Chemo 😳😳😳

Got my ginger tea & candies, waterpik Espom salt and ordered my night cap. I think I'm ready for this chemo ride.

Question: what do you do with your constipation? Stools softer doesn't really work for me any good suggestions

• PauletteK
    Options

Janeway - good to know I will start to take my acid reflux meds today so I will be ready for Friday. Thank you

• Loveformywife
    Loveformywife Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. She is doing AC infusion every other week for 8 weeks then taxol for 12 weeks every week. Neoadjuvent. It was scary going in to the appointment but we were BSing with the nurse by the end. As of now she has no side effects. They infused some anti nausea and something else before the A bag then pushed the C in. Hopefully the side effects are weak.

• JenRuns
    Options

Paulette: when i am having issues, I've added ground flax seed to my diet (throw in a smoothie or sprinkle over granola/milk). I also added a magnesium citrate supplement, at the recommendation of my naturopath. (My MO fully supports the naturopath' recommendations.)

Janeway, thanks for sharing your radiation oncologist's thoughts... it makes sense. I'm trying to figure out if there's a food trigger -- something must be worse for me. Think it may be dairy. Dunno yet :)

• PauletteK
    Options

JenRuns - I already putting flax seeds grounded on my breakfast, I guess I'm going to need prune regularly.

Loveformywife - such a good news. Will pray for her for no side effects.

• Teese
    Options

I was totally prepared for horrendous constipation as that's where I lean. Strangely I'm fighting the other battle somewhat. Who knew it would be so strange. I'm able to control it by eating all the foods I'm normally careful with such as cheese etc.

What a strange journey this is turning out to be.

Lovemywife- so very happy it's been an uneventful day. A milestone for each of us and now over for you and your wife.

Jen - I feel for you, hoping you get it figured out. As I'm sure you've read on here, SE can come and go from one infusion to the next, so if it's not figured out, hoping it's a one time thing.

Theresa

• gardenhatgirl
    gardenhatgirl Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi All,

I had a bizarre day today. I was supposed to have my first treatment (A/C). I arrived and met with my oncologist, checked in and sat down in a chair surrounded by people getting chemo. I felt braced and ready. Only to find out that the EKG I had last week as actually supposed to be a ECG and that they couldn't do anything until the ECG was done. I didn't even know they were two different cardiac tests! I almost started crying, which sounds ridiculous, because chemo certainly isn't something we aspire to have. But I do look forward to being finished with chemo, and to finish you have to start somewhere, right?

Anyway, I had the ECG this afternoon and they were able to schedule my chemo for tomorrow morning. So we'll try this again tomorrow...

• PauletteK
    Options

gardenhatgirl ❤️- hugs so sorry this happened to you.

• sunnyjay
    sunnyjay Member Posts: 143
    Options

Oh Theantz, I feel for you... My MO recommended TC and I seriously considered a 2nd opinion because I was told that I may not need chemo. Then I realized if I had too many options I would feel more confused. So I went with what my MO recommended. Sorry, that probably doesn't help you much but I do feel your pain...

Paulettek, I was thinking the exact same thing about not having kids thus no experience morning sickness/nausea. LOL I do get bouts of vertigo every once in a while that gives me nausea so I'm one up on you there. Winking

I got a few more items for chemo prep today... A thermos to bring some "magic mineral soup" (or tea) to my infusion sessions, popsicle molds since I heard that popsicles can help ease mouth pain or help if I don't have an appetite, and a toothbrush sanitizer. I know these aren't must-haves but anything to help with comfort.

Up next... Wig & scarf shopping!

• PauletteK
    Options

I think I have chemo brain before chemo. I found out I still forgot many items. I need to get the popsicle molds and I still try to figure out should Iput ice on my hands and feet.

• sunnyjay
    Options

I had an interesting day as well. I had a pre-chemo appt with my MO and we went over my blood work. I have a history of low potassium, likely due to blood pressure meds and that was the only concern. So I'll be eating lots of bananas in the next 24 hrs. LOL I always hear about blood count and platelets but he didn't mention any of this to me, so I guess this will be measured and discussed after the first infusion?

Later in the day, I got my mediport put in. I thought it was so ironic that they couldn't find a vein to start the IV. I got stuck 4 times (!!!) And finally got one in the hand. The 1st nurse who tried, joked saying, It's a good thing you're having a port put in! And I replied, this is EXACTLY why I'm doing this! It was pretty funny until the 2nd nurse who is supposed to be a pro tried 3 times, and started apologizing each time she had to stick me.

Once the IV was in place, I waited for an hour before I finally got moved to the OR. When I got to the OR, no one was in there. The nurse found out the doctor/radiologist got a call that was supposed to be "really quick", so I had to wait another 20 min or so. By this time half of my IV drip was done so naturally, I had to use the bathroom. So they had to wheel me out. When I got back, I had to wait another 20 min before the doctor finally arrived. At least they had Michael Buble music playing in the room... By then, I was all prepped and ready. I was awake during the procedure, but they placed a drape over my face so I didn't participate in their vacation conversation. Since I was not very talkative, they thought I was napping. The procedure itself was pretty quick, and I'm so glad that ordeal is over.

When I first arrived and was getting prepped (before the IV was placed), one of the nurses tried to reassure me about the surgery and said, "This is going to be the easiest part of your journey!" Now that I think about what she said, all I can do is laugh and hope the rest of the journey gets better. Smile

Good night, all!

• sunnyjay
    Options

Teese, the way things have been going for me thus far, I wouldn't be surprised if my SE are all over the place. Hope you find what works well for you.

Paulettek, I don't think we'll ever have everything we need until we know exactly what we need. I went to buy an ice pack for my port and ended up buying more stuff... Mostly food/snacks that i might like if I don't have an appetite.

Gardenhatgirl, hope everything goes well for you for your 1st infusion and no more setbacks!

• theantz
    theantz Member Posts: 24
    Options

So finally things are starightening out a bit.

New doctor has decided with TC ... What a relief....!!

Schedule would be 4 cycles every three week, along with bone marrow stimulating injection after every chemo( grafeen or something, dont recollect). Also for taxane, he has advised for Pacletaxel and dropped Docetaxel.

First session on coming Saturday. Doc has advised to have a heavy breakfast as I wont feel anything during infusion.

• Teese
    Options

Gardenhatgirl - I think I can safely say we all totally understand your upset over the delay. Glad it's back on the schedule

Sunnyjay - no kidding, just reading about it made it seem like an endless procedure. My gosh you must have been glad to be done.

Theantz - glad there's a plan you're also comfortable with. Moving forward.

Ladies your prep is epic, you're ready for anything!

Enia - girl where are you, we're missing your updates!

The same goes for all you gals who're infrequent posters, still thinking and wishing you the best.

I have PT today and an appointment with a dietician.

Have a good prep day for some and manageable SE day to the rest. Hugs!

• PauletteK
    Options

Sunnyjay - I have hiding veins problem so I usually drink a lot of water the day before and hope for the best. Once I have my MRI the nurse kept hitting my hands to find a vein she can poke me. Took her 15-20 minutes finnaly for one. I'm glad we have port now.

• Mari-
    Mari- Member Posts: 57
    Options

hi ladies! I am back, day 3 after TC! I am literally half way! In bed trying to get strength to go walking!!

Teese- please try papaya. I co worker gave me last round, it's very mild on the digestive system and it helps you go! How are you doing with your salt? I have been doing coconut water, since I can drink all this water we need, Gatorade it's prob better, but maybe for a change?

Theantz- 4 TC every 21 days is my tx! Yes heavy breakfast, I usually get an egg to get me some protein! I can eat anything during infusion just lots of liquid and ice cheaps! At least I did not get canker sores last time. When I get home I am hungry, but I ate light both times. Make sure you plan food before, when you come you will feel tired

Paullette - I am doing cold caps, so it was impossible to Do feet hands and head. I chose head and hands. Hands in gloves on and off. It's so cold, I was told only need to Taxotere not for Cytoxan, not sure, but that's how I did it!

Sunnyjay- dates have more potassium than bananas, you can eat them Whole, in salads or smoothies!

Garden girl- things will get easier, just a bumpy start!its also nice to see that they are being extra careful, frustrating but carefulsnd safe. Fingers crossed!

Jen - my MO rec'ed omeprazole, tums did not help me at all!

Good thoughts and vibes to everyone

• sunnyjay
    Options

Mari: you sound like you're having a good experience so far with minimal side effects I hope! Thanks for the tip on dates. I have also been abusing coconut water (haha) so I think that has helped. My labs taken before my port surgery had a higher potassium level but still a point under the normal. I have used papaya pills from GNC to help with bloating and heartburn after meals and it works almost instantly. I didn't even think about using it for regularity. I will definitely try them if doc is ok with it. I have used omeprazole for GERD but haven't had any issues in the last year. I would pop a piece of candied or crystallized ginger whenever symptoms start and I haven't needed to use omeprazole ever since!

BTW, I was reading my chemo binder from my clinic and since it mentioned checking with your health care team about all medications & supplements prior to chemo treatment, so I asked about multivitamins. I have read elsewhere that certain vitamins may have an adverse benefit to chemo, but my MO said it should be ok. Also, I asked about eating big meal prior to infusion since a few of you mentioned it. I wanted to make sure there was nothing I couldn't eat that would also affect the chemo drugs. My nurse said I should definitely eat beforehand, and said I could even eat during my infusion. I just thought it would be weird to eat a Denny's Grand Slam in front of the other patients. Ha!

• Teese
    Options

Good morning all,

Yesterday was a good day, thank the Lord. I emailed my MO nurse that the nausea was just hanging on and I've lost 7 lbs in 10 days. So I've started taking the .5 Ativan and added in a Prilosec a day. I FEEL GREAT, I could almost cry at how grateful I am to not feel like I'm on the verge of loosing my stomach.

Yesterday I was so productive and normal feeling. Today I'm going to clean the house, so happy to take some of the chores back from my poor hubby.

Mari, so glad to hear from you. Is this round 2 then? I tried coconut water, so wanted it work, but it made my tummy unhappy. I'll try it again today now that it's settled down. Also the papaya, just double checking, do you think it works to make you "go" or make you not "go". I'm trying to not "go" at the moment.

I kept walking on the dreadmill everyday since infusion even though I was having persistent nausea, I did it because it was supposed to help mitigate SE. I'm not sure it did but I kept at it anyway. Today I'm totally looking forward to it.

Suunyjay - I brought a picnic lunch and we ate outside on the umbrella tables they had scattered around. Several patients were doing the same. In light of the bad experience I had post infusion I'm not sure I'll be able to get anything down this time. Ugh, just need an uneventful infusion so that I can get past this one and move forward.

Have a decent day everyone. Each day we're closer to being done. I'll be moving on to rads, anyone else?

Theresa