Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TCHP Chemo Side Effects - Weight Loss (3rd Cycle Completed)

Options
2»

Comments

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    Options

I haven’t started chemo yet, surgery shortly then chemo, but this frightened me too. I am 5’8” and 110-115lbs. Have had issues keeping weight on my entire life. I need to find away to keep it on during chemo.

• LTWJ
    LTWJ Member Posts: 118
    Options

I lost 30 lbs on TCHP due to diarrhea and horrible food tastes. My dr was unconcerned so when my 6 cycles were up I found another oncologist. He repeatedly tells me he wished I had changed earlier as I also have bad neuropathy in my feet. He would have stopped the chemo earlier. My husband is happy that I was able to finish it and am doing fine now, although lighter. I have had a BMX with Diep flap 6 weeks ago and I’m doing fine. I did not need radiation as no nodes were involved. I tried drinking tne ensure and such but food of liquids didn’t stay in me for more than 30 min. I took so much lomotil at one point that I had trouble swallowing so I had to stop this. My weight loss was mostly from this side effect

• embmom
    embmom Member Posts: 10
    Options

I feel better and encouraged reading all these posts. I am writing this at 2:30 in the morning because of the steroids I got this morning. My onc pushes fluids for the dehydration and I was so sick this morning I could barely walk. The fluids with the Kytril and steroids helped a lot. I went for fluids on sat. And they gave me a brand new nausea med...verubi..or something and it made me so dizzy I almost passed out. Between the lomotil and Ativan I had this past weekend for the nausea and diarrhea I didn’t do too much ringing in the new year! Tonight I had a craving for fried rice so we went to pfchangs and they had the best mango tea. I drank 5 glasses I was so thirsty and it actually tasted wonderful. They sent me home with extra...probably another reason I am up! It was a long day for us. I did fluids this morning then to my husbands oncologist where he receives opdivo for stage 2 melanoma. He and I were both diagnosed at the same time. We found out today his is the most aggressive class for recurrence. Hopefully the opdivo will work it’s magic! It was not in his lymph nodes but melanoma is really bad about going through the bloodstream. Anyway I do the 6th tchp in about 2 weeks. I tend to lose about 6 lbs or so the first week then gain it all back again for the next treatment, I am looking forward to eating a more regular diet when this is all done! Good luck and good thoughts to you all

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I’m so happy you mentioned the fasting. I have been intermittent fasting for 3 months and start treatment in the next week. I wanted to fast before infusion (12-14hours and for a few hours after-wards. I also read that it helps with treatment and side effects but haven’t heard another oncologist say the same.

How do your doctors feel about it?