Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

mouth sores from chemo

Debpahdz
Debpahdz Member Posts: 1
edited August 2017 in Alternative Medicine

any suggestions on how to avoid mouth sores from chem

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,044
    edited July 2017

suck on ice chips. Talk to your MO. There are several 'magic mouthwash' prescriptions.

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    edited July 2017

baking soda and warm water rinses. Sometimes i add salt to it. Biotine mouthwash. Reduce trauma to mouth from eating sharp hard stuff. I ended up with an abcess which was no fun. I finally got magic mouthwash for numbing. I take ibrance and the sores are annoying. There is also a good thread on here. Search for mouth sores and good luck

• meg2016
    meg2016 Member Posts: 188
    edited July 2017

Swishing with hydrogen peroxide helped mine a lot when I did get them. But ice chips during treatment helped with prevention.

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited July 2017

Sucking on ice chips during infusion of chemo drugs helped with prevention of general mouth discomfort. The only time I had actual sores was when my Neutrophils bottomed out. I was prescribed "Duke's Magic Mouthwash" - compounded at a local pharmacy. It helped, but only getting the counts back up made a real difference.

• legomaster225
    legomaster225 Member Posts: 356
    edited July 2017

ice chips, popsicles or a frozen coke can be used during chemo. I also used biotene toothpaste and south rinse.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2017

Take pro-biotics in pill form. Take 2-3 a day on the days before and of chemo, as well as 2-3 days after, then one a day until the next cycle. It won't take all the symptoms, but it can help quite a bit. Rinsing your mouth with a little baking soda in water also helps.

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited July 2017

I used Biotine mouthwash a few times a day the week of the infusion. Don't use mouthwashes containing alcohol and don't wait until you have mouth sores to start. Use the mouthwash as a preventative measure

• NotVeryBrave
    NotVeryBrave Member Posts: 169
    edited July 2017

I just recently learned from an Infectious Disease doctor that they don't recommended using probiotics if you have Neutropenia or your WBC is low.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited July 2017

NotVery, ask your doc. My onc was fine with it.

• midwest_laura
    midwest_laura Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2017

I'm a big fan of Biotene. I use it at least twice a day. While I've had a few sores during big-guns chemo and while on Ibrance, they are mild. They come and go within 24 hours. I also second the opinion about watching out for shap foods. I avoid anything too well toasted, crunchy paninisand the deliciousness of a crusty French bread. ☹️