Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

No Lump But Blue Veins

Options
AmyLynn64
AmyLynn64 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Due to a family history of breast cancer my doctor recommended that I have a Bilateral Breast MRI which I have scheduled for next Friday. I had a mammogram back in December and everything was fine, however, I have dense breasts and a family history so she recommended the breast MRI. For about two weeks my left breast has been feeling weird, kind of heavy and pain that comes and goes, it is not consistent. I also have pain under my arm but I am not able to feel a lump. I do have pain that radiates down my left arm and across my shoulders into my neck. I tend to have neck and shoulder issues because I have a desk job and am on the compute all day so that didn't concern me until I googled. The biggest thing that scares me is a couple of nights ago I noticed blue veins on my breast which I had never noticed. I have called my doctor and have an appointment on Monday for a breast exam. I have made myself a nervous wreck because these symptoms all point to IBC. The good thing is I have no redness, itchyness or discharge. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this. I am 53 and was wondering if some of this could be menopause related.

Comments

• Michelle_in_cornland
    Michelle_in_cornland Member Posts: 1,233
    edited July 2017
    Options

Blue veins on your chest are completely normal. As we age, our skin thins out a bit, and our veins are more prominent. Having dense breasts means that you get them checked more frequently. Many women have dense breasts. The neck and shoulder pain could be from being hunched over a computer and from stress of thinking about having IBC. Why in the world would you think you have inflammatory breast cancer? It is a somewhat rare cancer to be diagnosed with in the first place. Try not to put the cart before the horse. You had a normal mammogram in December. Try to hang on to the positives and stay in the here and now. Our minds can really take us down paths that are unhealthy and can make everything so much worse. Hang in there....

• MTwoman
    MTwoman Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2017
    Options

I agree with Michelle in cornland, I didn't hear anything remotely concerning for IBC. Take a deep breath and try to focus on the present. Good luck and I hope your appointment on Monday goes well!

• AmyLynn64
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thank you so much!! I know I shouldn't google but I can't help it. I appreciate the quick response and kind words. I'm staying off google!!

• SwissCheese
    SwissCheese Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi, blue veins are totally normal. As for the rest - take a good care of your back, if possible see an occupational therapist to address posture and have exercises. That pretty much repeat my story, minus the family history. Past exams showed no issues. However I developed some tightness in sternum and around the rib cage, particularly on the right side, and also from time to time I have a radiating pain in my right shoulder, back and front, which is particularly bad in the evening. Then about month ago I felt a small lump in my right breast during self-examination. I was about to leave on holidays so you can imagine what sort of holidays I had. Haven't slept straight though a singe night. Did't even google. Made an appointment upon return. Pain around sternum remained. Not constant but i felt it a few times a day, and we all saw on booklets for bc pictures of women holding a hand above the breast. Then Thursday morning i started feeling pins and needles all over my body, pain around armpits and upper arms, shooting pain from neck down the spine. Spent all night googling, which didn't help. I called sick and went to hospital first thing in the morning, also demanded my Gyn to move appointment forward from next Monday and an MRI on top. Spent most of the day at medical facilities.Turned out a trapped nerve and a very small cyst and my dr. now thinks I am crazy. I also learned a new word - costochondritis. This is what was causing pain around sternum. I took painkillers and anti-inflammatories and slept like a baby. I also put away all pillows and slept on an orthopaedic one that I bought on the way home. Made a world of difference. Good luck with your exam and do something about your back, it can seriously suck the joy out of life even in the absence of the disease like cancer.

• AmyLynn64
    edited July 2017
    Options

Thank you SwissCheese, your story makes me feel better and is very reassuring. I'm gladness I found this board it has been very helpful

• ata
    ata Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hello Amy,

How are you doing now?

I have the same symptoms and I was diagnosed one month ago with a chronic vasculitis.