Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Chemo Divas (online order) halo wig from own hair?

Mom-mom
Mom-mom Member Posts: 15

I'm debating about doing this (and running out of time), as I had my first TC round earlier this week. The Chemo Divas website shows a halo wig made with your own hair. Any pros/cons from someone who looked at doing or who did this with their own hair?

Thanks!

Comments

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited August 2017

Mom-mom, I made my own hair halo (bangs) on a head band and wore it under scarves, caps, whatever, just to feel like a little better about the hair loss. Your local American Cancer Society may provide a free wig. Some folks are able to get insurance to pay for one also. I finally bought one, to wear when I met with clients. Otherwise, the scarf was fine. I never lost all of my hair, but when the majority of it finally turned loose, I looked like a molting parrot, (LOL) then cut the rest of it off. We all have to deal with it that works best for us. I think I lost most of mine around the 17th day after my first chemo. The social worker at your medical facility may have resources also. I believe there is a website that provides a free scarf/cap for BC patients, but I can't remember what it is. Best wishes! :)

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2017

I planned to do it, I even went to where they make them in Tampa. I cut my hair how they said to and had it all prepared to send but ultimately decided not to send my hair in and have it made. I liked the wig I ordered better than I expected to so I didn't think I needed it and decided to order a ponytail halo through them instead. Love it.

• Mom-mom
    Mom-mom Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2017

Thanks Keep the Faith and T. Wills, for these helpful posts and info on options.

T. Wills -- I will check in to the ponytail halo -- didn't even think about that option -- thanks for the tip! Any chance you can post a pick of just the ponytail halo? Helps to visualize.

I guess I want to memorialize my hair somewhat -- sort of like keeping my kiddos first haircut locks!

Peace to you and yours.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2017

I used this company and had a hairpiece made from my own long hair. Far more comfortable than my wig - I wore both equally. Best money I spent during the whole process

• TWills
    TWills Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2017

Mom-mom, I forgot how weird there websites are. Look up Hip Hats with Hair, they have the different options and photos there. You can order hair swatches so you can see the color better and feel the hair options. I ordered human hair so I could color it to match my hair better.

• hetheryh
    hetheryh Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017

I had my first chemo treatment, and was seriously considering using Chemo Diva chemodiva.com but I cannot get them to contact me. I've tried emailing them, calling them and messaging them on Facebook, but I have not received any response. I'm not sure they're still in business... has anyone else had this experience?

• hetheryh
    hetheryh Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017

I did hear back from Chemo Divas - just took a few days. They are still in business!