Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Does this sound like fibrocystic breast pain?

andia
andia Member Posts: 6
edited January 2018 in Not Diagnosed But Worried

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with fibrocystic pain? I have very lumpy very dense breasts and always had pain before my period. My cycles are not regular the last year or so as I am in perimenopause (46 years old). The pain has gotten worse on one side mostly (right). Last mammogram and u/s I had a lot of cysts on that side as well, it's my 'busy' breast. The pain is more in my upper outer breast towards the armpit and also sometimes aches in the armpit and also up higher on the top of the breast just below the collar bone and even sometimes the collar bone, shoulder ache. Could it be from my fibrocysistic breasts that radiates up to the outer area of the breast? I don't feel lumps, but think maybe my lymph nodes ache from always pushing down examining myself.

Thank you

Comments

• ohmanohmania
    ohmanohmania Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017

From what I remember of when I had periods that sounds exactly like what it felt like, usually on the outside closer to the rib cage and sometimes more painful on one side vs the other. I sometimes also got a really painful bump right inside my armpit but only on the right side, it went away after a few days.

• andia
    edited October 2017

Thank you for the response. Good to know it could be fibrocystic pain. I did not realize the pain could radiate as far up as the collar bone and just below. It doesn't get much better even after my period either. My hormones seem to be out of whack. I wonder if Vitamin E or something might help?

My Dr doesn't seem concerned, but I am having an u/s soon to take a look at my cysts so hopefully everything ok. I imagine if it were swollen my lymph nodes below my collar bone they will show up on u/s. I don't feel any hard lumps, but feels tender to touch.

• ohmanohmania
    ohmanohmania Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017

I'm not a doctor but I do know from my own experience that messing with them (lymph nodes) can make them hurt and even swell to a small degree. The only thing I can recommend is cutting back on caffeine if you drink a lot, and maybe avoiding artificial sweeteners since I've heard those can irritate it too, also taking some ibuprofen for any swelling or irritation, and trying to be hands off until you get your tests done. Hormones rapidly changing can cause those suckers to flare up like nobody's business. For vitamin E, I'd ask your doctor about it first, but quick google search says many people use it, I have never heard of it personally. I'm glad you're getting a u/s to check up on it and hope everything comes back okay!

• andia
    edited October 2017

Thank you very much. I have cut down to 1 cup coffee and 1 green tea a day but I may try cutting out caffeine completely to see it helps. I will also try and resist palpitating that tender area, I think I am making it worse.

I really do feel like my hormones are out of whack, I seem to have symptoms of estrogen dominance, so I will try to get my Dr to check my hormone levels. May I ask what you meant by rapidly changing hormones can cause those suckers to flare, do you mean the nodes or the cysts?

I will try some ibuprofen too. Thanks again

• Itzel2901
    Itzel2901 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018

hi I am on the same boat. 34 has ultrasound and I have one cyst and results said cyst and catagory 3 probably not benign and recheck in 6 months . I’ve been on birth control these past 6 months and I am not getting a period.

But the pain you describe is just like I sm feeling. Pain on collarbone underneath it, underarm .

I just don’t know what to think. My anxiety is super high!