Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in November 2017

Options

Comments

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks Iris...I will look that up.

Hope

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2018
    Options

hope, the rollator has this little seat to it, i make my bfast and but it on the seat and confess to eating while watching tv!

• Meowmmy65
    Meowmmy65 Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2018
    Options

After 3 weeks of sick leave to get through that final chemo - I am happy to be back at work and (mostly) feeling like myself again. I hope everyone has a great week, filled with nothing but good news. Heart

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Meowmmy....Great news!!

Hope

• klvans
    klvans Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2018
    Options

Happy for you Meowmmy. Must feel wonderful to get an important part of your life back. So well deserved, enjoy!

• Blair2
    Blair2 Member Posts: 353
    edited April 2018
    Options

Meow - congratulations on getting through your chemo treatments and feeling the normal side to life again! It’s great you can work again without the constant interruptions of misery.

I finished my last radiation treatment yesterday, and I received a call about my MRI results from my radiation nurse. She said besides the compression fracture, the other lit up areas on my pet scan (at the L1 disc), showed I had hemoangiomas tumors. The nurse said they are benign and common, but don’t be surprised if your oncologist recommends a biopsy. Well, that nerved me a bit, but today I got a call from my oncologist nurse who told me that my oncologist reviewed the results on both scans and determined I would not need a biopsy for further investigation. This was great to hear. However, she wanted to set up an appointment with a pain management doctor. There’s only one they use at the clinic, and he isn’t liked very well, so I’m leery to see him. Especially if he injects cement into my spine! Some reviews said they had more pain than when before they saw him! I had to spend my afternoon searching for other doctors that treat compression fractures. Still not sure who to see, but I see her Thursday and will learn in more detail what might happen. My disc is 70% fractured! No wonder I’ve been in such bad pain. I hope I can find a doctor that can fix it.

Maybe I can finally crawl out of the rabbit hole, but my issues carry on.

My daughter is on her way here with thegrand cat in toll. She drove from Austin to Covington. LA to spend the night with her aunt, will spend a day with her, then will head here to Lakeland by Thursday. The poor cat will be so traumatized!

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited April 2018
    Options

Meow - So glad to hear you're back at work and are starting to feel like yourself again.

Blair - Happy to hear you're done with rads and got your MRI results, which sound generally positive. Hang in there! I'm thinking good thoughts re the pain management.

I had a consult with my port surgeon this past Friday. She said she does not want to do surgery until I've had an MRI, so she ordered one. I was unable to schedule that until 2 weeks from now. I am still having daily neck/trapezius pain, so although it's not as severe as it was, it's going to be a long couple of weeks....

I had my 6-month check with my plastic/breast surgeon this morning and she was happy with how things are looking. At some point I may have a bit of fat grafting, but she said there's no rush so I'm going to wait until I'm feeling better. Her front office assistant is going to try to get me a closer MRI date.

Had a consult with an oral surgeon this afternoon. He said the rough patch on my gum is nothing to be concerned about, but should be removed and biopsied anyway. Scheduled that for a Friday in early May so that I have the weekend to recover.

I return to work on Thursday, and have very mixed emotions about that. I have really not missed work at all while I've been on leave these past 6 months. It's mostly a means to an end for me - a steady paycheck and good benefits. It can be quite stressful and I still don't feel like my energy level is where is was pre-chemo. But my supervisor is very supportive and empathetic (she's a BC survivor herself) so hopefully I'll be able to ease back into things gradually for a while.

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited April 2018
    Options

at the hospital. Prophylactic mastectomy and exchange today.

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Blair...I'm happy that the MRI results were pretty good. At least you now know why you were in such pain. I hope you get some relief with some pain management.
    Enjoy the visit with your daughter and grand-cat! How long will they be visiting?

Magari...It sounds like things are moving along for you. I can understand the mixed emotions about going back to work. Be thankful your supervisor can relate to what you've been going through. Are you going back full time? Maybe part-time would be a better start?

Star...Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that all goes well.

Hope

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited April 2018
    Options

Star - Sending you good thoughts today.

Nonahope - I am going to give full time hours a shot, but told my supervisor that we'll just have to see how it goes and I may need to scale back a bit for a while. One thing I did was schedule my Herceptin/Perjeta infusions days (which are still every 3 weeks for the next 8 months) as a disability day off from work, so that I don't have to worry about what time I need to leave or arrive at work. I hope to also be able to schedule at least some of my other appointments on those days as well. I checked my payroll info online yesterday and I still have plenty of leave remaining, so that's good.

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Magari...You've got it all figured out. That's great and I hope it works out perfectly for you!!

Hope

• star2017
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thank you. They did the right exchange and left prophylactic mastectomy but had to place a tissue expander on the left rather than the implant unfortunately. Hopefully we can expand and do the left exchange after radiation ends in July.

I don't feel any pain on the right exchange side but the left mastectomy side definitely hurts more than expected, so I've been asking for meds.

I experienced a little nausea and lightheadedness, but I feel generally better now.

• Blair2
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks Nonahope - my daughter and her hubby are in the process of moving to Tampa and will stay here with me until they settle there. My daughter is bringing the cat and her car down for now, and will fly back to Austin to get their things packed and house sold. Although hubby will be somewhat left behind handling the sale of house. He can work at any city, so move won’t jeapadise his work. She starts a new job in May, but this next week she is in a wedding of a friend. So lots going on! She will be here tomorrow evening as long as she gets here safely- still makes me nervous when I know she has that long drive. She’s at my sisters now in Covington, LA. Cat is so far tolerating the drive!

Margari - sounds like you definitely have your hands full with neck pain, gum issues, and going back to work. However, sounds like you’re well organized handling everything. Hope the MRI results are good and job plans work out smoothly. Does the herceptin and perjeta make you feel as bad as that awful taxotere? I wish they could make better chemo drugs! Radiation is nothing compared to chemo.

Star - hope your recovery gets better soon. I can imagine the pain you must feel after that surgery. Anesthesia makes me feel like I can’t breathe or take a breath. Can’t explain it, but it’s a scary insecure feeling. Getting over surgery is definitely a day by day ordeal. Just think of the new formation you’ll have in the end. I’ve seen some great results from reconstruction, but it’s got to be a step by step slow process. Hang in there!

I spent half the day cleaning, but my back started to nag at me, so then I did research on more local spine doctors. I think I found a good one with great reviews, so I’ll tell my oncologist tomorrow that I want to see a different doctor than the one she wants to refer me to. (I didn’t like the poor reviews he had, so don’t want to take any chances). This one I found is in a spine institute that includes pain management as well as non- invasive treatments. The doctor is an Orthopaedic surgeon with great reviews, but not an aggressive type. Super educated. I think he would have more knowledge than that other doctor. Trained in several techniques. The place has physical therapists and everything and it’s in my Medicare network which makes it nice too. It took me a long time to find this place since so many doctors don’t do all types of treatments. I don’t think I’ll qualify for kyphoplasty as my injury is probably too old, but he can do this.Can’t take pain medication because of heart, so I’m in a catch 22 situation. Oh well - time will tell what happens next.

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Star...Hope you are feeling better each day.

Blair...I hope you're on your way to a good pain management doctor soon. And, being an orthopedic doctor, as well, is a plus.
    Enjoy time with your daughter! I'm not sure where you live...are they going to be near you?

Hope

• Blair2
    edited April 2018
    Options

Nonahope - I’m in Lakeland which is between Tampa and Orlando. It’s about a 50 min. drive to each city either way.

My hormone therapy pills are on hold until my bone scan is done, which is May 10th. I have a tentative appointment Monday with the spine doctor. Will pick up my scan reports tomorrow. My MRI report had the words severe fracture- unbelievable that I’ve had this for 4 months and thought it was muscle pain! I kind of blame my primary for not X-raying my whole back in January. Ugh! It may not be fixable now

Daughter almost here with probably one frustrated grand kitty!

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

blair, i cant believe that you have been loving with the broken spine for so long.I have back issues, i have a tumor on my spine but nothing like you and I am much closer to doctors

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Blair...I am/was amazed that your doctors didn't do imaging long before they did. Yes...I think they are to blame. You were in severe pain long before they took action!

Hope

• PhoenixCruiser
    PhoenixCruiser Member Posts: 57
    edited April 2018
    Options

Wow Blair that is a hard one to swallow. All this time I was secretly blaming your vacuum cleaner Sad

• Mom4gma3
    Mom4gma3 Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2018
    Options

good morning ladies! So here is one that I don’t think has been put out here yet. Since there has been so much going on with all of us, I know it’s been the furthest thing from my mind, but now it’s front and center so I thought I would ask all the single ladies anyway. Is anyone dating? If so how do you handle it? I hadn’t no plans what so ever, I figured I would get through what I needed to and then go from there when I felt and looked more normal. This kinda just fell in my lap and now I’m not quite sure what to do with it. I’ve known him a year, so he knows me before and after. But I am so self conscious about how I look now, between the weight, scars and hair. It’s intimidating. We spent all weekend together with others as a group, but last night we went out alone and hung out by the beach and just talked. Today we are going to the flea market. I guess im just nervous and wonder why he would be interested at all. He is also a little bit younger than me which is unusual for me. Idk just wondering how everyone is handling the body image changes.

Tina

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

tina do not question just enjoy

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Tina...I agree with Iris...enjoy! Obviously, he is attracted to you. I think it's great. He's not seeing what you consider your "flaws"...he likes you as a person!

Hope

• klvans
    klvans Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2018
    Options

Tina, scars fade, hair grows, weight loss happens and romance can blossom all at the same time. It's Spring! Enjoy!

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

Tina.....Just enjoy, if the hair bothered him, he would not have asked you out, i think you may have found a special guy

• star2017
    edited April 2018
    Options

TIna, I agree with the others, you should totally pursue it. Have fun. It doesn't have to be serious unless you two want it to be.

An update for me since surgery: I had the exchange done on my right side. I got the round gummy bear implant Sientra 440, and while the tissue expander looked like it was about the size of the left breast (that I still had at the time), this just doesn't look right. It's too small or too high or too flat or too something. Maybe it's the lack of a nipple. it's funny because the whole time I was telling my PS to make sure he didn't go too big.

I guess part of the problem is my postpartum body. I was diagnosed while pregnant and am only 5 months postpartium and just not happy with the belly pooch. I suppose that's one reason things don't look quite right, the proportions are off. I have a follow up with the PS tomorrow and will definitely ask him, but would love some advice for those who may have experienced something similar.

The left prophylactic mastectomy side is doing okay. If you recall, they weren't able to do immediate reconstruction due to poor blood flow, so there's a tissue expander there instead. The area looks less bruised, so i assume that's a good sign. I'm waiting to hear back from the radiation oncologist to determine if I have to wait until after radiation (May-July) before starting fills and doing the exchange.

When I left the hospital I was prescribed Vicodin, Valium, an antibiotic, and colace. Yesterday I tried Tylenol rather than Vicodin, and today I dropped the valium and added ibuprofen between Tylenol doses, to see if I can manage that way. It's been okay.

I am feeling pretty overwhelmed and frustrated. I can't hold my baby, can't drive, I have tons of help and it's driving me crazy. I am lucky to have so much support and it's not them, it's the situation. I hate being dependent and out of control. I was finally starting to feel better, but the prophylactic mastectomy has thrown me back into those vulnerable days, and I've had a couple big cries today. I just want my husband to be home and I want my space. I've retreated upstairs with the laptop and left the grandparents to deal with the kids for much of the day. I either want to be in charge or left alone. Not sure how to address these feelings.

In better news, there's definitely hair growth. It's patchy and very fine, but it's there.

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Star...I can't help you with your surgery experience. I had a lumpectomy. I'm sure there are gals on here who can help answer your questions. I can relate to your feelings of not being in control. I can barely walk due to neuropathy. I can't drive...it's driving me nuts. My sister lives a few doors from me and my daughter lives a few streets away, so I have plenty of help. But, I want to do things for myself. Plus, I love being alone. I don't have little ones around, like you. So, you are in a worse situation that I am. Hang in there...I know it's difficult.

Hope

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

star, i think you are dealing well, dont be so hard on yourself, focus on getting your new little bundle home, and congrats, you have been through a lot

• star2017
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thank you for the support, everyone.
    I met with both my breast surgeon and my plastic surgeon yesterday for post-op visits. They were very pleased with the way the left (prophylactic mastectomy) side was healing, especially since there had been concerns about blood flow. I'm supposed to apply Aquaphor regularly to encourage healing. I did talk to my PS about the right (implant, no nipple) not looking quite right, but he also reminded me that there was no reason we couldn't make adjustments in the future. But it's best for me to get past radiation and past the post-partum phase. I think I'll take the next few months to eat healthy and be a bit more active. I think if I lose 10lbs, I'll look much more like myself and more proportionate. Larger boobs always make me look chubby and matronly, and I want to avoid that! When it's time to reconstruct the left, we can think about if the right needs revision. I still have my drain, so I'll need to go back next week, but I'm generally feeling better.

Iris: The baby is home and generally being snuggled by grandmas. He's 5.5 months now (can't believe it!).

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

star, continue to cuddle the new little one and enjoy the time

Switching the way i handle the peeling skin on my feet and hands. Someone suggested gold bond so using that on hands and feet. Also continuing the aquafor. Then i am no longer wearing socks and gloves to bed. Dang but my feet did not look nasty red this morning. Course then I put shoes and socks on to go to pt, toes look red again when i,got home so bare feet and sandles while relaxing in recliner. But as long as my blood tests improve will work on learning how to handle the side effects.

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Iris...Have you tried CeraVe lotion? It's phenomenal for dry skin. My oncologist gave me samples of it. It's unlike anything I've ever used. I have used the Gold Bond Foot Cream...it's really good!

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hope, dang but have a ton of stuff and nothing really doing. Some of the things are greasy and do not dry so i was wearing socks but reallize that seems to make it worse. Hey, open to all, so next trip eill get some of the Cerave, i have seen it the store. Even after shower this morn, my hands were itching so reached for good old cortesone 10 cream. Dang but I am sensitive! Bottom of my feet are all peeling, not sure what i will try, maybe i will go back to good old eucerine intensive care. or gold bond......