Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo in November 2017

Options

Comments

• nonahope
    nonahope Member Posts: 695
    edited April 2018
    Options

Iris...The CeraVe will not leave any greasy feeling. Rub it in thoroughly. I especially use it while my skin is still wet, after a shower or bath. It's been the best moisturizer I've ever used...and, I've used a lot. I hope it works as well for you.

Hope

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2018
    Options

good hope, trip to drug store tomorrow so using my other non greasy stuff, back from gym, pushed myself so time for some tea and rest

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'm having a strange sympto that I had previously ignored but am wondering about. I noticed that on the side of my left foot, at the heel, there was itching/discomfort, which I attributed to Taxol and its neuropathy side effects. The itching has been gone for a while, but now I noticed little bumps under the skin. It looks like the picture in the following link, and if it's that, I guess it's harmless, but I'm wondering if I should schedule a visit to the doctor, just in case: http://www.foot-pain-explained.com/piezogenic_papu...

Has anyone else experienced something like this? What are your thoughts? The other thing is the above condition seems to be associated with athletic people, and I'm definitely not athletic, especially not since the cancer diagnosis and treatment in the past 7 months.I do spend time chasing after three kids tho.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

never had that but i certainly have other side effects, mostly hair. I would definitely call your doc office and see what she says. Mine has several very helpful nurse practitioners

3 little kids, yeah you are athletic!

• klvans
    klvans Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hello everyone. I agree with Hope, CeraVe products are very nice and reasonably priced for the quality.

For those who have finished treatment, how often are you getting mammograms? My MO says once a year is sufficient but I'm wondering if that is sufficient. She also told me my greatest risk of recurrence is the next two years so I'm wondering why not do every 6 months.

Magari I hope all is well with you. Sounds like life has been busy. You mentioned fat grafting which is something I'm curious about. I don't have implants but one of my breasts is smaller than the other one. It's not terrible but I wondered if fat grafting might fix it. My main concern with grating is that it may interfere with mammograms. Perhaps that doesn't matter when patients have had a full mastectomy and don't need mammograms or perhaps imaging has gotten so sophisticated that they can decipher the changes that can occur through grafting. Just curious about what you've heard about it.

Star who've been through a lot. Pregnancy and breast cancer would be hard on anyone. I hope you continue to recover.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

• star2017
    edited April 2018
    Options

Klvans,If I hadn’t had both breasts removed the plan was either an MRI or a mammo every six months.

• SDK8
    SDK8 Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2018
    Options

haven’t been on for a couple weeks. Just catching up on everyone’s posts. So happy everyone is finished or getting close to finishing! My last chemo is this coming Friday!!!

I have a swollen eyelid from a clogged hair follicle where my eyelashes have just started to grow back. Applying warm compress. And some neuropathy in hands and feet. I purchased some CBD cream and have been applying it on hands and feet as well as ingesting a dropper of Hemp oil (Charlottes Web) every night before bed and again in the morning. CBD and hemp oil is legal in all 50 states now. It has no THC so no high. It seems to help quite a bit. I am in no medication now. Just the pre Meds through IV with Chemo.

My hair is 1/4 inch and salt and pepper. No eyebrows yet. Hot flashes aren’t so bad and less occurring.

Keep positive my fellow warrior sisters! This will all be a memory soon!!!

• klvans
    edited April 2018
    Options

Thanks for the info Star.

SDK8 I'm excited for you; last treatment will be here soon!

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

SDK8....Will be thinking of you on Friday and doing a happy dance for your final chemo!

Hope

• magari
    magari Member Posts: 335
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hello, all! It's been a while since I have checked in. I'm now almost 7 weeks PFC; started back at work a little more than a week ago, wearing a wig.

I still have about 50% of my hair due to cold capping during chemo, but the texture of what remains (which used to be quite thick and coarse, with a slight natural wave) is much finer and "fluffier" than prechemo - a bit like candy floss. And there is a good bit of gray which I can't yet color, so not really the look I am going for. Thus the wig....

Although I am still shedding quite a bit I am also starting to have some hair regrowth that I can see, especially above my ears. The thin spot on top is still there but lots of short sprouts are popping up. Had enough stubble that I had to shave my legs for the first time in months a couple of days ago. Eyebrows are making an uneven comeback, but the microblading I had done helps. My lashes still have gaps that are taking longer to fill in.

In addition to the trapezius and neck pain I've been having for the last couple of months, my port was completely non-functional at my Herceptin/Perjeta infusion last week. Which meant I had to receive my IV using the vein on the back of my hand, since my arm veins are almost impossible to find.

So I am looking forward to getting my MRI this week and finding out what is going on and what can be done about it. I am also having oral surgery to remove and biopsy the rough patch on my gum. And am on an interview panel at work. Another busy week ahead!

SDK8 - Congrats on your approaching final chemo! It is *such* a good feeling. Enjoy it and celebrate!

• Blair2
    Blair2 Member Posts: 353
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi girls,

I can’t believe I haven’t been on here for a while. Sounds like everyone still has issues whether physical or mental. Tina - you are a beautiful young girl and just enjoy your relationship with that person who must obviously like you. Your body has gone through hell, and it will take a while to settle down. I think the weight gain comes along with stress and being more sedentary. I’m trying to forget my breast issues for a while. Now it’s all about my back! Star - you have gone through quite the gamut with breast reconstruction and taking care of a baby. I can’t imagine how hard that is, but good that you have family helping out. Nonahope- are the drugs not helping that neuropathy?

Tuesday I’m having kyphopkasty done by a doctor who is not at my regular clinic. The one there had horrible reviews, so I had to research another outside my usual clinic. This is a procedure that puts cement into the disc. I saw my mri images and it is pretty much flat, and severe was on the written report. I was lucky in that the injury still has fluid in it to be able to have this done. He’s suppose to be good and I had a heck of a time finding one that does this procedure under my network. However, his clinic isn’t well organized as I was there for three hours just to be seen. Too many patients and I ended up being the last one to leave last Monday with a new admin kid that didn’t know what he was doing. It was a little nerving. This will be an outpatient ordeal, but I hope it’s not painful. Wednesday I have a total bone scan - why - it’s for future reference. The bills will add up.

Yes - in addition to being mad at my primary, the clinic (not the spine clinic), but my main clinic sent me a gigantic bill that has three mistakes on it, so I have the wonderful pleasure of disputing that tomorrow - if I can get through to someone probably having to hold for an hour on the phone listening to horrible music. I’m sure you know how that goes. I’ll probably get some nasty person in billing.

My daughter did get here safe and sound with the horrible grand kitty. However, she flew back to Austin Friday and I’m to pick her up this coming Thursday (provided I can drive). They say you can do normal activity after the procedure- but I’ll be in a back brace. She went back to help hubby with house and packing for a few days. She starts work next Monday. The hubby was also here after flying his little plane to a hanger in near by town. He flew back Friday too -commercially. . He has to stay with house until sold. Daughter will stay with me as she starts her new job. The cat is a fiesty thing that jumps up on everything, eats the patio plants, and I have scolded her several times. I’m alpha kitty, but she just doesn’t get it. This was not my idea of a grandchild! Anyway, this was a busy week and that’s why I haven’t been checking in. Training a spoiled kitty, icing my dang back every hour, and going in crazy circles keeping up with kids on the move. My friend will take me Tuesday to the procedure. I will be in a back brace for 6 weeks! Ugh!

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Magari...Seems like everything is going well with you, despite being very busy. A much better journey ahead for you.

Blair...They upped my dosage of the Gabapentin from 600 mg. a day to 900 mgs. a day. I've only been on that dosage a couple of days, but so far no improvement. I cannot walk without being near something I can grab onto...very unsteady due to the numbness, pain, and burning of my feet
    Hoping the kyphoplasty works wonders for you. Hope you get your billing straightened out. That can be a real "job". How old is "kitty"? Sounds like she is still a kitten...takes a while for them to calm down...some longer than others. Have fun!

Hope

• klvans
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hope I'm sorry to hear about the trouble walking. Please be careful and may your medicine start helping soon.

Blair, glad to hear that you found a good back Dr. I hope the procedure gives you relief. You have been through a lot. You sound busy. Keep that kitty under control!

Magari you sound like you are busy too with re engaging in your normal life and undergoing procedures for your port and teeth. I hope all goes well for you. I relate about the hair. The hair I kept is the same way. New hair is healthier, Hoping and praying my old thick head of hair comes back. I used to get annoyed getting the tangles out of it. I'll never complain about that again if it comes back, I promise, lol.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2018
    Options

hope, sounds like you are becoming an accomplished wall walker! That being the term my nurse team at columbia Presbyterian used for me. Hope you begin to feel better

Well i am just back from my trip into,nyc to followup with my nuerologist at weil cornnell. My nuerologist thinks i am much improved since my last visit which was almost a year ago. My onco was determined that i needed to get checked and i really did not want to try to find a new nuerologist. So called my limo pal and he drove me in & back. So her report will be sent to my primary doc and to onco. I am just glad she did not feel she needed to order a bunch of texts.

So yahoo, and i get to chill this afternoon, maybe i should make soup?

• nonahope
    edited April 2018
    Options

Kivans....I make so many "if" promises...like "if" I can just get back to walking normally I promise to "do this or that"...lol

Iris...Wall walker is the perfect term for me at this point!!! I'm glad you had a good visit with your neurologist. And, yea for no testing...that's a good sign!

Well, I will say this new dosage of Gabapentin does make me tired. I laid down at 2:15 this afternoon and slept for 3 hours. It felt great to sleep, but I still have the burning and pain.

Hope

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018
    Options

I started taking the galapenten again but never really sure it helps, i do have appt with primary next week so gonna talk. Well off to errands, concluding with manicure

• Blair2
    edited May 2018
    Options

it’s late, I’m tired, hope everyone can get their issues under control. These things are getting so old.

The kyphoplasty was more painful than I thought. Stinging with epidural injections, the probe that puts the cement in was painful off and on. I had to hold tight and grip the edge of the table. Three techs were there with the doctor. I also felt like I was going to faint, not from the pain, but from, I guess, the medication. It was hard not to jerk. It only took about 30 minutes. I had to pay $300 for the back brace that I wear for 6 weeks. This kyphoplasty is only stabilizing my disc, not returning it to proper height. That was a disappointment to learn. My bone scan was cancelled tomorrow, because my insurance hadn’t approved it yet. Just as well, and my daughter will take a shuttle Thursday back to Lakeland from airport. I have pain pills and antibiotics. I hope my back pain goes away after this procedure.

The grand cat stayed in bedroom all day and she wanted to be petted, so I slowly petted her, talked to her, etc. Then she sweetly rubbed up against me, but she then suddenly attacked and scratched my arm. She is one messed up cat! That was the icing on the cake for me, so I turned out the light, and said goodnight to her. She needs a cat whisperer! I’m exhausted

• Blair2
    edited May 2018
    Options

PS - Hope, the cat is about three years old. I did dispute $146 from my billing. So sorry the pills are taking so long to work. Just be careful not to fall! Burning pain can’t be fun. Well, my back is somewhat burning, but have pain pills on guard for that. They only want me to take them if I have severe pain.

Proudtospin - glad your neurologist gave you a good improvement report! That relaxes your worries, I’m sure. Enjoy life the best you can

• star2017
    edited May 2018
    Options

Blair, I’m so sorry! I hope you feel better soon. That sounds really tough

• star2017
    edited May 2018
    Options

iris and Blair and hope, how are you ladies feeling today?

Had a post op appointment today. The drain on the mx side is out! Woo! One more step toward feeling normal. I also think that the implant side looks pretty good/real/natural, so I'm feeling better and looking forward to things getting better with each step.

Still sad my PS is leaving, but I'll talk to him next week about the game plan for next steps and also find out if he'll still be practicing nearby.

Hair is coming in well on my head, 6 weeks Post chemo. I’m not ready yet to go uncovered but I hope to soon. Eyebrows are filling in too. I could do without the rest of the body hair returning, but it’s another sign of normal I welcome!

Hope everyone is doing well.

• klvans
    edited May 2018
    Options

Star, doesn't normal feel good? I don't take normal for granted anymore. I wish you continued healing.

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018
    Options

feeling pretty good today, thanks for asking. Heading out to occupational therapy this morning,if i get as much out of this as i did out of the pt, man i wil be ,almost ,well sort of normal?

Hot day, broke out the shorts!

• Mom4gma3
    Mom4gma3 Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2018
    Options

blair2 and iris- hope you both are on the road to recovery and being pain free soon!

Blair I love the story with the grand cat, my cat is exactly the same and I have had her since she was a baby. She will come up and rub and get lovings for exactly 10 seconds, then the teeth and claws come out. Lol.

Star- I was about to post the question to everyone asking if they have been brave enough to go out yet without covering. I just can’t bring myself to do it. Last night I had my drink on quite a bit for cinco de mayo, so I went to dinner and dancing in tarpon springs without it. Now that the liquid courage is gone, the cap goes back on. I’m just so tired of wearing it, but too self conscious not to.

As for me, I have 1 day left of rads, I get to ring the bell tomorrow! I can not wait to be done with this, it has just taken so much from all of us! It really wasn’t that bad and the therapists were awesome, but it was just so inconvenient to get there every day. Some redness, but no sores and just minimal discomfort, especially when I am trying to sleep. Now just herceptin infusions every 3 weeks, and then go from there. Anyone with a port get any information about keeping it or removing it when all is done? People keep asking me and none of my doctors have said anything about it. I have a follow up with my surgeon on the 15th so I am going to try to remember to ask him about it.

Hope everyone is having an amazing weekend!

Tina.

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018
    Options

wierd but my docs never mentioned a port, guess they assume my veins will hold up. But for now I am on a pill so while they do a blood test when i go for doc visits, not considered big

Well, my birthday, yahoo so off to get ready for bunch

• nonahope
    edited May 2018
    Options

Tina...I have a port (my second one,in fact)...I kept my first one for about 5 years. Unfortunately, I developed a blood clot and had to have it removed. With this second bout of metastatic breast cancer, I had another port put in. Though I am finished with the Taxol infusions, I will keep my port as long as possible. So easy for all the blood draws etc.

Hope

• nonahope
    edited May 2018
    Options

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, IRIS!! Enjoy brunch.

Hope

• Meowmmy65
    Meowmmy65 Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2018
    Options

Tina - if you keep the port after your herceptin infusions are done, you have to go in for a heperin flush every three weeks to avoid a blood clot.

Happy Birthday Iris!

Yesterday, we attended my daughter's college graduation. I wore a hat there, but it was so warm outside, I took it off as soon as I got in the car. My head was too hot and sweaty! We had a big cookout and bonfire at our house that evening, and the hat never went back on. I am getting more confident about my bald head, but I like the option of a soft hat when I'm around a lot of strangers. At work, a naked head is just fine with me.

The heart damage from herceptin reversed, as my oncologist predicted, so I've resumed those infusions. Just 11 more to go, but I suspect I'll have to take another break as my heart function decreases again. I'm just glad it isn't permanent. Radiation consultation is scheduled. Gotta keep moving forward through these treatments. I look forward to the day when they are all over!

Who else is having bad edema? So annoying!

Happy spring everybody!

• star2017
    edited May 2018
    Options

happy birthday, iris!

• star2017
    edited May 2018
    Options

RE ports

My mom still has her port after her main chemo treatment three years ago (not for BC). They couldn’t remove the tumor, so it is contained so far by a chemo pill she takes regularly. But I guess she kept the port in case the cancer started to spread. She has to go every 4-6 weeks to have it flushed.

My friend had her port removed as soon as she was done with treatment for her cancer (also not Bc).

I decided to have mine removed a couple weeks ago when I had the prophylactic mastectomy and exchange surgery.

• proudtospin
    edited May 2018
    Options

morning, another normal week for me, pcd visit tomorrow, because i have not seen her in some time and do love her. Wed is fun, gym and monthly lunch with some gym ladies, small Italian place with $5 lunches, then service on car....hope i do not have to walk too much, that is thurs, then Fri is occupational therapy.

Exciting life i have huh? By end of week, typically exhausted. But still able to do all those things.