Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Rib pain after mammogram

Options
Lookingforhelp
Lookingforhelp Member Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in Pain

Wondering if rib pain is normal after a mammogram? I have two Clinical stage 1 tumours in my right breast (biopsy last week). Today I had the mammogram and have woke up with a lot of pain underneath my breast and the side under the armpit. Feels like it is in my ribs.

Comments

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi - I had that pain and it has lasted through most of chemo. I had to have a bone scan because something odd showed up on MRI - nothing was found thankfully. Sometimes o just think all the pressing and squeezing and awkward positioning takes its toll. It is finally barely noticeable.

I would definitely mention it. You will probably get a chest X-ray as part of stude precedire for surgery

• Lookingforhelp
    Lookingforhelp Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Options

thanks VL22. I also got the cold shivers followed by a fever and my breast is red and warm. I went to see my GP and we both think it's mastitis (I've had it before in my other breast). I'm on antibiotis now and hope to start feeling better soon. It doesn't hurt as much but it's still very tender

• Susaine
    Susaine Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2018
    Options

Any discomfort during a traditional mammogram (not an MRI or breast ultrasound) comes when the breast is compressed between the film paddle and a piece of plastic. This flattens out the breast, enabling the technician to film the maximum amount of tissue. But you're right, it can be uncomfortable.