Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Protein Powder drinks

Options
drained6513
drained6513 Member Posts: 29
edited January 2021 in Working on Your Fitness

Hi, I am all finished my chemo and Herceptin. I am about 10 months from last chemo and 1 month post Herceptin. I am now seriously focused on losing the 25 lbs I gained throughout this whole ordeal. I am now very cautious of what I put into my body re food etc. I was having protein powder that I buy from GNC and making smoothies every morning before all this started to build muscle and help lose weight. It was really working. So, now I am concerned about whether it is safe to drink these protein drinks? I am going to ask my naturopath, who told me to start drinking protein shakes in the mornings, but that was before I got sick. I now want to ask him if it is safe now for me? Any comments on this.

Comments

• drained6513
    drained6513 Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2018
    Options

Ok, no responses. I just am back to protein powder smoothies. I do remember they told me at the Cancer Center I could take protein drinks while on chemo, so I would think it is ok to take it now. It still concerns me a bit. But it helps to build muscle, which burns fat. Otherwise I will not be able to take this weight off, and that isn't good either. There just seems to be ingredients in this powder that doesn't sound great. I mean if you don't know what it is, that is not good. My daughter takes it and so do a lot of athletes etc. Just eating protein isn't enough. You have to eat an awful lot of it throughout the day to benefit from it. What a headache this all is.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited January 2018
    Options

drained - I use a plant based vegan protein powder called Plantfusion, it is dairy free, soy free, animal free and gluten free, along with not containing the most common food allergens. It contains 21g of protein in each serving and only 120 calories. I usually mix the Vanilla Bean flavor with coconut or almond milk and frozen organic berries to make my shakes. I avoid soy protein isolate and whey, and this powder contains neither and tastes decent.

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited January 2018
    Options

drained- which protein powder are you using. I'll check out the one SpecialK mentions. I'm having trouble getting past all the "ingredients". So, I'm doing my best with dietary protein. Protein powder would surely make my life easier.

• Sunny_Girl
    Sunny_Girl Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thanks Special K - I’ve had trouble finding a protein powder that is soy free. I have one that is pea based - but the blended drinks have had an odd color (green powder & blueberries) ThumbsDown

Thanks again -

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited January 2018
    Options

sunny - lol! My DH can handle kale in his shake, but I would rather eat it in a salad. No green shakes for me! The vanilla bean powder is not green even though it is made from pea protein. I do occasionally add some blueberries, which I like, but have recently experienced blueberry induced migraines (crazy! They are a vasodilator!) so I have to watch consumption.

coraleliz - there is another brand of non-soy protein powder called Vega but it bothered my stomach. Had no effect on DH so it might work for you too

• lilacblue
    lilacblue Member Posts: 1,425
    edited January 2018
    Options

I use pea protein isolate that I buy at Amazon UK, by PsychoProtein.com in slasher strawberry cream. Best I've found. The brand is not sold on the US site yet Nuzest is supposed to be pretty good.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited January 2018
    Options

I read that a double scoop of protein in the morning is a good thing. Protein balances the blood sugar. I had one this morning, a cup of strawberries, a cup of blueberries, a raw egg, a big scoop of Jarrow Whey Protein, and milk. It makes two big glass fulls.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,828
    edited January 2018
    Options

VEGA SPORT is another good one. Organic and all that! I like this one and they make a berry one. I would make a smoothie with this and add more fruit to it and my flax and chia seeds sometimes too. Can't say about the chocolate or vanilla, didn't try them. The other thing I liked about this one is that you only have to do one scoop instead of two. And I found that its one that contains a good amount of protein.

If you can't read everything below, here is the link.

https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/DeEAAOSw-xVaL~j8/s-l1600.jpg

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited January 2018
    Options

According to this article Flax is ok for breast cancer, but Fish is better....

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/1801...

• Sunny_Girl
    Sunny_Girl Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2018
    Options

Great suggestions / research & shake ideas. Prior to going down the breast cancer slippery slope I had been successfully dieting and lost 40lbs - part of the diet was protein shakes (soy based).

I want to start drinking protein shakes again and I appreciate this conversation.

Patty

• kcat2013
    kcat2013 Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2018
    Options

I like the Whole Food's 365 brand whey protein. I find the flavor and mixability of it to be pretty good and it's decently priced (it regularly goes on sale).

• Hydro11
    Hydro11 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021
    Options

Right before getting breast cancer 2017, I was losing weight with a soy protein shake, Medafast. It was great! I’m convinced that the soy protein took my benign 2 cm mass with smooth margins which we’d been watching for 6 yrs and turned it into cancer, rapidly causing rippled margins. Which eventually spread up the duct. I’m thinking I might try Arbonne now it has a pea based protein. No soy

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited January 2021
    Options

With very rare exceptions, benign masses don’t “turn” malignant. They stay benign. Can the benign mass get bigger? Yes. Can there be a mix in the same area of the breast? Yes. Can ATYPICAL lesions continue down the path of becoming more atypical? yes. Conversely, losing weight made you less likely to develop breast cancer. No way to blame the supplement. Lots of studies, including at prestigious Vanderbilt, show that soy consumption actually LOWERSthe incidence of breast cancer.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited January 2021
    Options

I agree with Melissa - don't blame the supplement.

This thread has been inactive since 2018. But I will add that MD Anderson recommends a protein powder called 'Bene Protein' by Nestles. It dissolves in anything & has no taste. Available at many drug stores and at Amazon.