Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone deal with a hematoma after biopsy?

Options
momto3sons
momto3sons Member Posts: 68
edited February 2020 in Waiting for Test Results

Tomorrow will be one week since my core needle biopsy. I had the normal soreness for a day or so, and by Saturday I felt pretty much back to normal. I was still feeling pretty much pain-free until starting at mid-morning today. Of course I had just had my follow-up with my BS early this morning, and I felt fine while I was there. But as the day went on the pain slowly increased. I noticed tonight that there is a pretty good lump/bump in the area of the biopsy. I'm assuming it's a hematoma. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Comments

• Silbar
    Silbar Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2018
    Options

After my stereotactic biopsy I developed a huge hematoma about the size of a golf ball. It seemed to cover about 1/3 of my breast including all of the swelling and bruising . In addition I could also feel a smaller lump right at the insertion site. These have taken 3-4 weeks to subside but My breast still does not feel normal. It still feels heavier and lumper. I will be having my excisional biopsy this Thursday and the BS said he could clean out any leftover debris from the hematoma or scar tissue at that time.

I know that wearing a good support bra day and night helps to reduce this from happening.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2018
    Options

Yes, I had a sizeable hematoma after my biopsy, but it happened the same day. It was mind numbingly painful. It took months to fully reabsorb.

It seems late to be new bleeding, honestly. You should be long clotted up. Not sure why a hematoma a week later would start hurting now rather than before. Huh. Maybe though. Keep an eye on it, I would say if it gets any bigger or the pain increases call your surgeon. They didn't do anything for my hematoma, just waited for it to dissolve.

• catsme
    catsme Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi momto3sons, I had bruising and a small hematoma show up 4 days after my biopsy, and also felt extra lumpy in that area. Took me by surprise after so many days. Just woke up one morning and there it was. CNP said this can happen sometimes. I did have checked just to put my mind at ease.

• rrobin0200
    rrobin0200 Member Posts: 80
    edited February 2018
    Options

yes. I too had a small hematoma appear after my biopsy. I don't think it's all that uncommon. If it gets too large, I believe it has to be drained.

• momto3sons
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks all! Luckily it seems to be fairly small (maybe a bit larger than a marble), and massaging it helped a bit. If it's still bothering me later this week I'll check with the doctor.

• cmh1977
    cmh1977 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

I’m two weeks out from my core biopsy now. For the first week I had two marble size lumps at the biopsy sites. I too felt very lumpy. They have gone down quite a bit since then.

• momto3sons
    edited February 2018
    Options

it’s still a little tender, but much better than it was on Monday and Tuesday. At least I have two weeks until the excisional biopsy

• Silbar
    Silbar Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2018
    Options

Mom, when I had my hematoma I would apply a warm compress to it each evening while watching TV. It helped relieve the discomfort and the swelling. I have what is called a "Bed Buddy" that you heat up in the microwave and the weight of it plus the heat really helped. Use ice packs for the first few days of swelling and then later switch to heat. I hope you continue to heal before your surgeryis done

• momto3sons
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks Silbar!

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 2,009
    edited February 2018
    Options

I developed a hematoma the day after my BMX. I had to go for emergency surgery the same day to evacuate the hematoma. The hematoma was in my nonaffected left armpit. The pain was excruciating. I was very confused and still woozy when my surgeon informed me we had to go back in to evacuate the hematoma. I was fortunate that I went on the surgery thread to ask about hematomas. Judeshome did some research and was kind enough to explain the possible causes and treatments. It made going back in for a second surgery much easier.

• momto3sons
    edited February 2018
    Options

Oh goodness! I’m glad your surgeon got you back in to take care of it.

I contacted the doctor today, and her nurse said what I’m dealing with can be common especially when they have to go deep for the biopsy. I guess I’ve just pissed off the boob gods and will have a few more days of recovery before the next round lo

• Spoonie77
    Spoonie77 Member Posts: 532
    edited August 2018
    Options

Has anyone had the pain begin increasing more than a week AFTER the biopsy?

I see my PC tomorrow for my Pre-OP appt so I'm going to bring it up to her, however my Cancer Center Triage RN said it's likely a hematoma and nothing to worry about.

I'm not convinced. Thoughts?

My pain has been getting steadily worse over the past 3 weeks since my biopsy. Even though I was "fine" afterwards and had no pain a few days later. Right now, I have no visible bruising, swelling, or heat anywhere on my L breast. Yet, the pain increases. I'm large breasted and very dense/lumpy breasts prior to all cancer poking and prodding so it's very hard to tell what's going on near the biopsied mass.

It's awful. I hope my PC has something to suggest. Am worried this will interfere with my Lumpectomy Surgery on 8-30. Uggggh.

• Scottswife1987
    Scottswife1987 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2020
    Options

I had a stereotactic core biopsy (benign findings) of my left breast on 1/10/20 and immediately developed a hematoma, the actual bruising has disappeared but I am left with a hard ping pong ball sized lump that is not deceasing in size. I did see my PCP on 2/5/20 who attempted to aspirate the lump with out success, he suggested for me to apply heat to help break it up so that it will absorb. Does anyone have any ideas on other things I can do at home to help decrease the size? Thanks in advance.